Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #9,076 of 16,931
Quote:
As always, great review Joker. I enjoy reading all of your reviews. I also liked your comparisons... I love how you have such a high regard for the RE-262 that you'd compare it to this IEM costing 10x as much haha. Now, how about going back to reviewing IEMs not priced in the stratosphere :wink: so as to increase our hunger to purchase more IEMS?

It's great reading balanced yet affirmative reviews sans a fanboy hype.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #9,077 of 16,931
Quote:
i am quite interested in the 1964 V3, and your comparisons with the FitEar 334 really piqued my interest today! How would you rate the V3 compared to the SM3 and westone 4? I owned the SM3 for a long time before I got tired with the thick mid range. My last high end IEM was the Heir Audio 4.Ai which I believe is somewhat similar to the westone 4, but had to get rid of it due to quite horrible fit issues. 

Thanks a lot!!

The ratings are found on the front page of the thread - I would pick the V3 over both the SM3 and W4. The V3 doesn't have that same thickness of the SM3. It has more emphasis in the upper midrange and treble and the sound is overall brighter and more airy. 

Quote:
@ljokerl
are you gonna make a review of the new vsonic vc-02 ?
I'm thinking between the vc-02 and the gr-02 (gr-02 because in your review it sounds(reads) pretty good
smile.gif
 )
And since you make such awsome detailed reviews and comparisons, i think it would make my decision easier.

or do you suggest an other IEM in the same price range 
smile.gif

I'll review the VC02 but probably not for a while. The VC02 and GR02 BE sound nothing alike - the VC02 is pretty balanced and neutral-to-bright in tone from the 5 mins I've listened to it. The GR02 BE is v-shaped with a lot more bass and less smooth treble. If you like heavy bass, go for the GR02 BE. Otherwise the VC02 is probably better based on what little I've heard of it so far.

Quote:
Great review on the TG334, and a very interesting read! Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Very nice review man, thanks! And I think you really described the tg334 very well. But, Joker you should listen the tg334 with cable 000, to my ears everything is a notiable step up. Especially the highs, with stock cable I find some track has this uncomfortable piercing highs, but with cable 000 it becomes really smooth and more extended! I could swear it's not just in my head, but I really do hear it like that. Plus the soundstage becomes taller and wider and bass become 'tighter' but still speed remains the same.

Quote:
Very nice review |joker|...you have compared them also with the current very good price-to-performance ratio iems which I had never heard yet. Currently this is one of the best sounding IEM that I have, only that it's very expensive (like a CIEM). I liked the presentation more than my JH16s, which has almost the same price here, and admittedly my favorite SM3. It's such a jewel.

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
As always, great review Joker. I enjoy reading all of your reviews. I also liked your comparisons... I love how you have such a high regard for the RE-262 that you'd compare it to this IEM costing 10x as much haha. Now, how about going back to reviewing IEMs not priced in the stratosphere :wink: so as to increase our hunger to purchase more IEMS?

I'm all out of super high end stuff until I get around to trying the Ultrasone IQ. 

Quote:
It's great reading balanced yet affirmative reviews sans a fanboy hype.

I just haven't been able to find a brand to hype. All the good ones are taken 
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #9,079 of 16,931
Hey Joker, thanks for the recommendations before ended up getting the RE262 for my brother. Now I'm looking for some good IEMs for the gym since my MEElectronics M9 got messed up at the gym the other day. Trying to stay under $100, something with great isolation and comfort as well as good fun sound quality with great bass. Looking at the JVC FX40, JVC FX101, Soundmagic E10, Brainwaves M5, Atrio MG7. Any others I should be looking at? Thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #9,080 of 16,931
Quote:
Trying to stay under $100, something with great isolation and comfort as well as good fun sound quality with great bass. Looking at the JVC FX40, JVC FX101, Soundmagic E10, Brainwaves M5, Atrio MG7. Any others I should be looking at? Thanks!

My 2 cents: I am trying out the TDK MT300, and although it's still early in the evaluation, I must say that I am a bit blown away by how good they are.
http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-au/Headphones/EB900-In-Ear-Headphones/MT-300/

It looks like you can get them for about $25.Here's a thread discussing them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640889/surprise-tdk-mt-300-4-97-of-awesome-for-canadians

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #9,081 of 16,931
Quote:

My 2 cents: I am trying out the TDK MT300, and although it's still early in the evaluation, I must say that I am a bit blown away by how good they are.
http://www.tdkperformance.com/en-au/Headphones/EB900-In-Ear-Headphones/MT-300/

It looks like you can get them for about $25.Here's a thread discussing them:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640889/surprise-tdk-mt-300-4-97-of-awesome-for-canadians

Thanks for the recommendation waynenumm, how are the build quality and sound isolation on these things. I sweat a good amount so hopefully they are built pretty well haha. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9,082 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks for the recommendation waynenumm, how are the build quality and sound isolation on these things. I sweat a good amount so hopefully they are built pretty well haha. 

The cable is fairly thin, so that might be the first thing to go, but the rest of them seem quite well built. As far as isolation is concerned, I am using the medium sized mh1c tips and the combo isolates quite well. It seems that finding better tips than the stock tips helps a lot for SQ as well. I used them at the gym yesterday and they worked great - just enjoyed the tunes without getting distracted by the gym noise. The amount of bass these things have also helps.

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #9,083 of 16,931
Hi guys,

Since I'm totally new in the IEM-universe, I looked for and found a great deal of basic information on head-fi. Moreover, Jokers multi-review is a great start when one has no idea where to look for great value for money.

I'm planning to buy a first decent IEM to use with my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, with a pricetag of max. 50-60€.
At first, I selected the Astrotec AM-90 and the Vsonic GR06 (which I can find for about 50€), but then my brother found a bargain UE700 (61€).

So now I'm wondering what I should do... My bro (who owns a shure535 and some other IEM's and knows his stuff) says I have to go for the UE700, but I have some questions about it:

- It seems to be the 'UE' version, and not the newer 'Logitech' version, the latter being generally considered the better one (less sibilance in the highs, better cable?), so it seems. Is the 'old UE-version' worth the purchase?
- I also wonder whether the GR06 hasn't a more forgiving sound signature than the UE700, considering it is my 1st IEM... On the one hand, I think I can learn to appreciate the level of detail the UE delivers, but on the other hand, the sound signature can't be too fatiguing, since this will be my main IEM for everyday use...
- Which one do you guys consider as the most polyvalent IEM, meaning: which of these IEM's can handle the most different music styles (since I listen to everything from metal over pop, dance, trance, jazz, classical music,..)?
 - I'm thinking 'bout bying one for my GF too, and she likes a bit of bass and good vocals (not a real basshead, but it has to be there). Maybe the GR06 for her then (allthough it doesn't look very feminin in my opinion)?

Thanks for your opinion!

IsO

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #9,084 of 16,931
Don't forget cheapies like the mh1c and the Vsonic GR04. Not sure why the Gr06 gets so much press. They've still got the RE0 at $50. There's honestly so many option out there, while the UE700 is hovering around $100 there's the Rockit R-50 (check review here) or the B2. Many options ! happy hunting

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #9,085 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker, thanks for the recommendations before ended up getting the RE262 for my brother. Now I'm looking for some good IEMs for the gym since my MEElectronics M9 got messed up at the gym the other day. Trying to stay under $100, something with great isolation and comfort as well as good fun sound quality with great bass. Looking at the JVC FX40, JVC FX101, Soundmagic E10, Brainwaves M5, Atrio MG7. Any others I should be looking at? Thanks!

Most earphones aren't really designed to handle gym use, aside from sports ones obviously. I don't know if I would risk something in the $100 range. In any case, there are several dozen good bass-heavy IEMs under $100. Really depends on just how much bass you want. The FX101 and Philips SHE3580 are good disposable sets (<$20) so you could replace them easily if the sweat kills them. The FX101 is very bassy, pretty bloated, and a little harsh. The SHE3580 is smoother and less colored-sounding. 

Quote:
Hi guys,

Since I'm totally new in the IEM-universe, I looked for and found a great deal of basic information on head-fi. Moreover, Jokers multi-review is a great start when one has no idea where to look for great value for money.

I'm planning to buy a first decent IEM to use with my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip, with a pricetag of max. 50-60€.
At first, I selected the Astrotec AM-90 and the Vsonic GR06 (which I can find for about 50€), but then my brother found a bargain UE700 (61€).

So now I'm wondering what I should do... My bro (who owns a shure535 and some other IEM's and knows his stuff) says I have to go for the UE700, but I have some questions about it:

- It seems to be the 'UE' version, and not the newer 'Logitech' version, the latter being generally considered the better one (less sibilance in the highs, better cable?), so it seems. Is the 'old UE-version' worth the purchase?
- I also wonder whether the GR06 hasn't a more forgiving sound signature than the UE700, considering it is my 1st IEM... On the one hand, I think I can learn to appreciate the level of detail the UE delivers, but on the other hand, the sound signature can't be too fatiguing, since this will be my main IEM for everyday use...
- Which one do you guys consider as the most polyvalent IEM, meaning: which of these IEM's can handle the most different music styles (since I listen to everything from metal over pop, dance, trance, jazz, classical music,..)?
 - I'm thinking 'bout bying one for my GF too, and she likes a bit of bass and good vocals (not a real basshead, but it has to be there). Maybe the GR06 for her then (allthough it doesn't look very feminin in my opinion)?

Thanks for your opinion!

IsO

I found the old UE700 a bit too bright and sibilant but overall it's a pretty good earphone - a step up over the GR06 and AM-90. It should be a good all-rounder assuming you don't need enhanced bass. The AM-90 is much smoother and more forgiving but it'll also sound a lot less clear compared to the UE700. 

The GR06 is quite a bit bassier - getting both that and the UE700 would be a good idea, to sample the differences. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #9,086 of 16,931
Hi joker your thread is awesome I have bought the ex1000 based on your review and I was very happy with them until they got in the washing machine
frown.gif

I loved the clarity and the soundstage but I would like a bit more bass (without interfering too much with the mids) keeping the soundstage and the clarity of the EX1000, soundstage and clarity are my priority I could live with the same bass of the EX1000 which IEM would you suggest?

Thanks a lot, you are doing an excellent job on this

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #9,087 of 16,931
Hi Joker,

I own both Fisher Audio DBA-O2 mk2 and PFE 121.  I use them both with a JDS Labs O2 amp.  Source is Ipod Classic.  Material is mostly mp3 320 and above, and ALAC.

The DBA amazes with slightly better all round speed, and fast accurate bass.  It sounds aggressive - both mids and treble.  The PFE (with grey filters) is silky smooth in mids and treble, and its base a hair slower than the DBA.  I like the more analytical and aggressive sound of the DBA.

However, I am bothered by sibilance in the DBA which is completely absent in the PFE.  I have tried multiple tips (comply foam were surpsisingly not good at all).  Maybe it is due to some poorly mastered stuff which it doesn't tolerate, but it is quite bothersome, I need to use the EQ to tone it down.

The question is, would a RE-272 be a better option for my prefered sound signature ( paired with the O2 amp)?  I don't plan to move to a semi or fully balanced amp anytime soon.

Many thanks

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #9,088 of 16,931
Dude if u dnt mind? why dont u do a review on Sennheiser IE80 's and IE800s....

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #9,090 of 16,931
Quote:
Dude if u dnt mind? why dont u do a review on Sennheiser IE80 's and IE800s....

I think ljokerl is looking forward to review the IE800s and considering the IE8 and IE80 have the same drivers and similar build, I wouldn't think he would go the extra mile to do it. Don't get me wrong, I love my IE80s, but I just don't think it would be worth paying an extra $450 to review, and his current loan list is full.

Also, ljokerl, could you rate the Miracles on a scale of 10 for sound signature, 1 being flat, 5 being neutral/balanced, 10 being fun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back