Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 13, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #8,716 of 16,931
Quote:
Yes, I have a DN-19 in the queue. Currently working on the I 3-CS, though. 

The SP51 remains one of the more 'tunable' ones I've heard. Generally the differences with tuning ports are pretty mild. With the DN-19, based on the very limited listening I've done so far, the tuning seems to only affect the bass. I prefer it with the 'flatter' tuning. Not quite sure where it ranks overall at this point but its review shouldn't be far off. 

Thanks man appreciate the quick response. And looking forward to you review
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

You can have much more fun with an EQ
tongue.gif

Great saying and I agree what you said.

However, I think following the manufacture's tuning should be more nature (uncertain about this).

I don't like the player's EQ that make me feel that I will get not really nature sound by digital tuning.

There should be some degree that sound have been altered by digital tuning except simply the frequency boost or reduction.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #8,717 of 16,931
Hello joker, you seem extremely knowledgeable (and laborious!), so here's me asking for a recommendation (I made a thread):

I need IEMs for listening to FLACs/LAME MP3s w/ my old Cowon D2 in the subway

I listen to classical, hardcore, 90's rap and everything in between except for metal and 'droning dance electronica'

What I like the most is a 'live music' sound

Also I don't want muddy/mumbled bass, it would be nice to be able to tell the notes apart

And finally, I like to be able to hear all/most details in the music (but they don't have to be the 'centerpiece' of the experience, I like 'mood' to be at the spotlight—am I making sense?)

And I'd like them to be fairly sturdy, because I'm pretty clumsy/heavy-handed

I'm willing to spend ~$120, but I'm really skeptical of the actual difference between that and say, a $70 product.

thread is http://www.head-fi.org/t/636185/kid-looking-for-veterans-experience-using-cowon-starting-audiophilia
Thanks!

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #8,718 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks a ton!  You have helped me rule out the V3.  I'm thinking that CTM-200 paired with JDS O2 would be closer to my current rig (DBA-O2 with JDS O2).  Would that be right?  If so, I'm probably better off going with the Reference for a different yet upgraded option.  Would you agree?

Cheers

I have no idea how the DBA-02 sounds from your setup but I can say that the Reference will have comparatively more bass and more treble than the CTM-200. The DBA-02 is between the two, probably closer to the CTM-200 in bass and the Reference in treble. 

Quote:
how does one decide between W4 to UM3x ?

and in general: what is the difference between "Universal Monitors" and "Westone Series"?
( http://www.westone.com/music/index.php/products/custom-or-universal.html )

so far, had experience with gr06, and fxt90, and waiting on ie80 to arrive...

thanks!

The UM3X is more forward and intimate, with less treble energy. Generally, the W series are Westone's consumer/audiophile monitors though their signatures vary quite a bit (when comparing the W1 to the W3, for example).

Quote:
Joker,

What do you think is the most natural non-fatiguing sound signature for listening to both male and female vocals and also what is your perception EPH-100's vocal performance lets say compared to SM3 or UM3X ? I feel like EPH-100 sounds slightly more raw and realistic with vocals whereas SM3 and UM3X make vocals sounds smoother, more silk like but in return slightly less realistic I guess.  I especially notice this with Melody Gardot - Our love is easy. Just wanted to ask your take on this

I haven't heard the UM3X in a very long time and the SM3 is a little different in signature. If pressed I would say the EPH-100 does female vocals better than the SM2 and SM3, partly because there is more upper midrange energy (the lack of which is part of what makes the SM2 and SM3 sound so soft and smooth).

Quote:
Hello joker, you seem extremely knowledgeable (and laborious!), so here's me asking for a recommendation (I made a thread):

There are quite a few earphones that will do what you want - under $70 I would recommend checking out the VSonic GR06, Rock-It Sounds R-30, and maybe the Ultimate Ears 500 or MEElec CC51 if you're willing to concede some durability. Under $120 you have tons of choices depending on the exact signature you want, from properly balanced and detail-oriented monitors such as the Rock-It R-50, MEElec A161P, and Etymotic HF5 to slightly 'safer' enhanced-bass options like the Shure SE215 and HiSound Crystal (these two are very well-built as well). You won't have to worry about muddy bass with any of these, especially if they will be your first higher-end in-ears. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8,719 of 16,931
Quote:
There are quite a few earphones that will do what you want - under $70 I would recommend checking out the VSonic GR06, Rock-It Sounds R-30, and maybe the Ultimate Ears 500 or MEElec CC51 if you're willing to concede some durability. Under $120 you have tons of choices depending on the exact signature you want, from properly balanced and detail-oriented monitors such as the Rock-It R-50, MEElec A161P, and Etymotic HF5 to slightly 'safer' enhanced-bass options like the Shure SE215 and HiSound Crystal (these two are very well-built as well). You won't have to worry about muddy bass with any of these, especially if they will be your first higher-end in-ears. 

Thank you for the quick answer, I've been reading your reviews for those sets-

Unfortunately I'm not very experienced with IEMs, so what worries me is: is it possible for the more analytical sets to sound boring to me? I'm not necessarily looking for very revealing 'studio monitor' earphones, and those comments about phones like the RE0 sounding 'sterile' worry me, but maybe those comments come from boomy-sound fans?

Also, considering that I'm concerned about diminishing returns, say I would stretch my budget to ~$250, would you say there's an ideal bet for what I'm looking for, and would it be 'worth it' for a newcomer?
Edit: On the same note, is there a pair of phones that constitute, in your opinion, an 'ultimate value', that do more or less what I want them to do?

I hope answering these questions is enjoyable for you and not tiring, hehe.

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #8,720 of 16,931
ljokerl, I read your take on the demo UM Miracle compared to the custom UM Miracle, and it really made me disappointed about the universal model. However, is it possible that you can rate its sound quality on a scale of 1-10 or compare it with a high end universal such as the PFE232 or K3003? Sorry if you can't remember the sound since I know its been over a year. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #8,721 of 16,931
Quote:

Unfortunately I'm not very experienced with IEMs, so what worries me is: is it possible for the more analytical sets to sound boring to me? I'm not necessarily looking for very revealing 'studio monitor' earphones, and those comments about phones like the RE0 sounding 'sterile' worry me, but maybe those comments come from boomy-sound fans?

Also, considering that I'm concerned about diminishing returns, say I would stretch my budget to ~$250, would you say there's an ideal bet for what I'm looking for, and would it be 'worth it' for a newcomer?
Edit: On the same note, is there a pair of phones that constitute, in your opinion, an 'ultimate value', that do more or less what I want them to do?

I hope answering these questions is enjoyable for you and not tiring, hehe.

Yes, it's very possible you won't like a more analytical earphone as your first, which is why I recommended the SE215 or Crystal as 'safer' choices that still have controlled bass and good overall sound quality.

Diminishing returns are always a concern. I usually recommend starting small (in fact, it's difficult to justify spending more than $200 on a universal IEM these days with all of the great sub-$200 sets) unless you know that you're the type of person who won't rest knowing that you could have gotten something 'better'. All of the earphones I've recommended represent good value as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
ljokerl, I read your take on the demo UM Miracle compared to the custom UM Miracle, and it really made me disappointed about the universal model. However, is it possible that you can rate its sound quality on a scale of 1-10 or compare it with a high end universal such as the PFE232 or K3003? Sorry if you can't remember the sound since I know its been over a year. 

Back then I remember comparing it to the CK10 and SM3 and thinking it had no real advantage over those, unlike my custom Miracle, so it would probably be somewhere in that range.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #8,723 of 16,931
Hey joker are you planing on reviewing the Heir 3.Ai and 4.Ai?  

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #8,725 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, are you planning to review Alclair RSM? (Like Reference, but 3-way, 4 drivers - 2x bass like Reference.)

I am but it might be a while -- I haven't shipped off my impressions yet.

Quote:
Hey joker are you planing on reviewing the Heir 3.Ai and 4.Ai?  

Not at this time. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #8,726 of 16,931
Back then I remember comparing it to the CK10 and SM3 and thinking it had no real advantage over those, unlike my custom Miracle, so it would probably be somewhere in that range.

Did you think the universal Miracle was better or worse than the SM3 or the CK10? I'm really considering those since my ears are growing and I cannot afford reshells.

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #8,727 of 16,931
Quote:
Did you think the universal Miracle was better or worse than the SM3 or the CK10? I'm really considering those since my ears are growing and I cannot afford reshells.

I didn't spend much time comparing it to my other universals, mostly to the real Miracle. I would say about on-par with the SM3.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #8,729 of 16,931
I've been racking my brain reading different reviews in the first couple pages of this thread, but I've got a complete headache. I need some suggestions on what to get. I'd like to spend at most around $75, but would feel better in the $50-$60 range. I generally listen to music that tends to have female vocals, but not always. I also listen to songs of other languages, especially Chinese and Japanese. Some examples of music I listen to: Etro Anime (Musical genres used by the band include drum and bassdeep housetrip hop, and breakbeat), Bang Gang, Telepopmusik, Flunk, Utada Hikaru (JPop), KOTOKO, Two Steps From Hell, Trifonic, Elsaine, Aproaching Nirvana, Brad Sucks, BoA, as well as Video Game and Movie Soundtracks (Star Wars, Chrono Trigger for example), and some more mainstream stuff like Incubus, Korn, Metallica, etc. Occasionally I'll also listen to some Stevie Ray Vaughn or Jimmy Hendrix too. I want something that doesn't muddy the bass but gives it some emphasis but not too overpowering. I also want something that highlights the Mids for the vocals and has a large soundstage. They need to be able to handle the wide variety of genres that I listen to and need to be comfortable. I'll be travelling to China in January (My 4th time) and I've had some issues with my right ear not being able to pop after flying so I don't know if that should be something I worry about in my decision making process.

Can anyone help me choose a pair of IEMs that will work for me that are currently available from a reliable website (I don't consider ebay reliable) - thank you so much!

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8,730 of 16,931
Added the MEElec A161P to the chart. Scores are the same as Fischer SBA-03 with the only differences being in the accessories, price, and presence of mic/remote.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back