Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #8,671 of 16,931
Quote:

gr06 i think will suit you best , not a bass phone , really nice mids and a bit peaky highs , and i like those highs . only trouble is over the ear is the only way with gr06 .
            and man , hf5 worth that push of $10 , at $110 you are getting gem of a phone . best balance for the price range . jhelsas has shared a well priced link too .
            se215 is over priced , here it is $120 , and at the price i can get a gr06 and a ue500 . and image s4 is the least you need , least refined phone for $70 . unless you want big bass with
            harsh high . MEE a161p , sadly is not available here .

Doesn't meelec ship worldwide from their site?

Quote:
Thank you for your response, this is my first plunge into customs so I hope I will be satisfied! I placed the order a day or so before your review came out and I am really happy they ended up almost on top of your point scale
biggrin.gif

There's some work to be done on the scale and more customs incoming but I expect them to stay top 3 for a while
wink.gif

Quote:
can anyone tell me how ue700 fares? the sound quality and build
i have one here but have mixed feelings about it (sometimes sound very marvelous in my ears but at times can be irritating)
please ignore the price comparison between ue700 and triple fi 10 cos ue 700 is priced at S$189 and the latter is at S$649, though i noe amazon sell ue 700 at US$160+ currently

Sound-wise it's quite good though maybe not worth $150+ when you can get the Brainwavz B2 or Rock-It Sounds R-50, both superior tunings of the same driver in my opinion, for $120-140. Bass is linear but not very powerful as with all TWFKs. Treble is bright, I thought more so than B2 and definitely more so than R-50. I found the two different types of UE700s to sound different: http://www.head-fi.org/t/599247/heads-up-two-versions-of-the-ue700

Quote:
Couldn't get a good over the ear fit with the A161Ps.  I also sometimes like to lay on my side when I'm listening and the shell fo the A161P is a little large.  Worried that a deep insertion tip may not be for me anyway.  GR06 keeps coming up as a possibility but I did a lot of reading about Phonak 021/022s last night.  Very interesting especially with the filters that change the sound signature.  Might be a good starter for me so I can experiment and discover what signature I'm most comfortable with.

Besides relax time, I listen for hours at work, so comfort, isolation and build quality are important.

JJ

You won't be able to lay on your side with Etys, either.

FYI, the Phonak 021 only comes with 1 type of filters. Additional ones have to be purchase separately.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #8,672 of 16,931
Dear Joker,

I have owned a yamaha eph-100 for 5 months and love with the sound quality. Then I bought westone 4 and thought (and in regard to your review) that its sound would be far superior than the yamaha. I've spent 2 months listening to westone 4 almost everyday, and realize that it sounds...quite boring? I tend to crank up the volume to make it sounds fuller, which could hurt my hearing.

Then I went back to the yamaha and its sound quality destroys the westone because I feel that yamaha got the sub-bass while the westone don't. I think westone is more analytic than fun?

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #8,673 of 16,931
Quote:
MEE a161p , sadly is not available here .

You can obtain any MEELEC product from their site meelec.com, it ships to all the countries. If USPS first class international isnt displayed there, you can mail to their customer service, mike@s2einc.com, he is a great sport and provides excellent customer service one can imagine. Shipping rates are reasonable and they ship worldwide with worldwide warranty, they have a very good warranty service so no need to panic for 1 year

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8,675 of 16,931
Quote:
There's one thing you're forgetting and that's the a161p has been out of stock for several weeks on the meelec site.

Yeah, they would be in stock in december at the earliest(got info from mike@s2einc.com), I happened to be the last one to grab em, thats too due to in stock inventory count off by 1..mike checked them for me and I got it shipped, I might get it soon...

A151 would also take december to get restocked, even though amazon has a lot units left of both a151 and a161p.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #8,676 of 16,931
Quote:
You can obtain any MEELEC product from their site meelec.com, it ships to all the countries. If USPS first class international isnt displayed there, you can mail to their customer service, mike@s2einc.com, he is a great sport and provides excellent customer service one can imagine. Shipping rates are reasonable and they ship worldwide with worldwide warranty, they have a very good warranty service so no need to panic for 1 year

Quote:

Doesn't meelec ship worldwide from their site?

it does , but they dont have the model out here in the market and the service person says they wont cover it with warranty , so i had to turn down a customer and disappoint my self too . they ship world wide ( x-ears and may more ) but when you have to send it to the service center , the shipping is on you . i had a scene with ue , they covered it but made a issue of it , for me , no service , no buy .

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #8,677 of 16,931
Quote:
Dear Joker,

I have owned a yamaha eph-100 for 5 months and love with the sound quality. Then I bought westone 4 and thought (and in regard to your review) that its sound would be far superior than the yamaha. I've spent 2 months listening to westone 4 almost everyday, and realize that it sounds...quite boring? I tend to crank up the volume to make it sounds fuller, which could hurt my hearing.

Then I went back to the yamaha and its sound quality destroys the westone because I feel that yamaha got the sub-bass while the westone don't. I think westone is more analytic than fun?

Eph-100 is one underrated earphone for sure. At $150 I think they are a steal. I'm comparing them to $350 Westone UM3X and Earsonics SM3 right now. I certainly like it more than SM3. UM3X is very difficult. I think they sound very similar if not the same but then UM3X costs more than twice the Yamahas...   

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #8,678 of 16,931
Hi,I'm looking for recommendations for a new pair of IEMs. Budget under 100$.
Currently with the MEelectronic's A151 for close to a year but I've had some problems with them recently,and I'll try to send it back for RMA. Before that, I had the Brainwavz M2 that didn't last long(few months,and didn't bother sending for repair) but it sounded great. And before that,it was the MEe's M9. Currently listening mostly to rock\stoner and such,like to have details with a good bass. I'm in Canada,so the availability\price of few pairs might not be the same. Few deals that I noticed are the Brainwavz M4 for 30$,Klipsch S4 for 40$ or the RE-Zero for ~70$
Thanks! :)

Nov 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #8,679 of 16,931
Quote:
Get the ety MC5, sounds 90% the same as the hf5 or even ER4 for well within your price range. Most important thing with etys is to get a deep fit somehow, not how expensive the model.

No it doesn't. General signature is similar, but MC5 rolls at 11 kHz, while HF5 far, far higher, I think 17 kHz. MC5 has some semblance of impact, while HF5 has almost none.
Less technically, HF5 is airier and has larger soundstage, but MC5 has slightly better bass. The airiness helps much more than the bit of bass impact.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #8,680 of 16,931
Quote:
Dear Joker,

And that is why personal preferences matter...

Quote:
There's one thing you're forgetting and that's the a161p has been out of stock for several weeks on the meelec site.

Good point.

Quote:
Hi,I'm looking for recommendations for a new pair of IEMs. Budget under 100$.
Currently with the MEelectronic's A151 for close to a year but I've had some problems with them recently,and I'll try to send it back for RMA. Before that, I had the Brainwavz M2 that didn't last long(few months,and didn't bother sending for repair) but it sounded great. And before that,it was the MEe's M9. Currently listening mostly to rock\stoner and such,like to have details with a good bass. I'm in Canada,so the availability\price of few pairs might not be the same. Few deals that I noticed are the Brainwavz M4 for 30$,Klipsch S4 for 40$ or the RE-Zero for ~70$
Thanks! :)

If you like the M2 you'll probably like the new M5 also. Haven't heard the M4. The VSonic GR06 is a good deal and will have more bass than your A151 along with better treble presence. Closer to $100 there's also the Shure SE215, HiSound Crystal, and Phonak 012. With the exception of the M5 these are all less bassy than the M2 but more bassy than the A151, providing a well-measured punch.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #8,681 of 16,931
Hi Joker, I would just like your recommendation for an IEM that has the openness and soundstaging of the EX600 with a slightly more extended bass and smoother treble (I can accept a very little bit less crispness), yet keeping pretty much the same level of resolution and bass texture with a black background and little, if any graininess. My budget would be around the same price as the EX600, and I was considering the Rock-it R50, Vsonic GR07 mk2 and the EPH-100. Would any of these fit the bill, or are there any other options out there? I can accept waiting for something higher-end on the used market on the same budget ($120 -150)

I am looking to drive them out of my Nokia N9, possibly an ODAC + Fiio E5 at most in the future.
Thanks!

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #8,682 of 16,931
thanks joker and suman
i noe the cable's bad and got mine replaced once
the one i bought is the old version and the replaced ue700 is the new version
don't have very big sound diff though, but still like the replacement better
Brainwavz B2 is too expensive for me (S$300+) and cant find R-50 in singapore for the moment, but maybe its just the singapore's pricing
thanks anyways

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #8,683 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi Joker, I would just like your recommendation for an IEM that has the openness and soundstaging of the EX600 with a slightly more extended bass and smoother treble (I can accept a very little bit less crispness), yet keeping pretty much the same level of resolution and bass texture with a black background and little, if any graininess. My budget would be around the same price as the EX600, and I was considering the Rock-it R50, Vsonic GR07 mk2 and the EPH-100. Would any of these fit the bill, or are there any other options out there? I can accept waiting for something higher-end on the used market on the same budget ($120 -150)

I am looking to drive them out of my Nokia N9, possibly an ODAC + Fiio E5 at most in the future.
Thanks!

Seems like you want an upgrade from the EX600 with none of the weaknesses and all of the strengths for the same amount of money. That's quite unrealistic. The R-50 is probably closest to what you want but it doesn't quite have the out-of-the-head headstage of the EX600, or the same amount of mid-bass impact. Its bass is very linear but don't expect much deep bass rumble. The GR07 (mkI) is better on the bass front but has some treble unevenness so I wouldn't say it does what you want either. The EPH-100 has the deep bass and smooth treble but gives up the out-of-the-head feel and some of the clarity of the EX600. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #8,684 of 16,931
GR07 MKII perhaps, it's not offensive IMO despite still having the inevitable spike at 6k (sibilance region). As long as you don't turn them up too loud and the recordings don't suck, it's pleasant. 7550 fits the bill as well in sound, but not price range. 

R50 is a nice choice, but it's quite more different than the GR07 is, as joker states. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #8,685 of 16,931
I'm down to three I think: vsonic GR06, phonak audeo PFE012, or shure SE215. Any last recommendation on these based on comfort and build quality? Based on the reviews they should all be real treats for my ears,

I don't believe the Etys will work as all round IEMs simply because I won't be able to lay on my side with them. If I could get two pair I'd get HF5s plus Mee m6. Perfect isolation for work and something for quiet listening at home. I keep coming back to the shures as a safe choice... Good sound, comfort, and warranty.

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back