Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #8,644 of 16,931
Quote:
Quick question - is there a better sounding/value IEM than the Hifiman RE-ZERO at its current price of $60? I just ordered a pair and would like to know if I'm missing out. Thanks!

IMO depends on your priorities. I like the bass of the Sunrise Xcape slightly more as well as the fit, that said, the GR04 is great and the RE-Zero is really hard to beat. $99 meh, $59 yup.

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #8,646 of 16,931
Hm a yamaha eph-100sl page joker recommended me closed, any other reviews out there? I'd appreciate the help.

Nov 6, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #8,647 of 16,931
Interesting, new RE272 arrived, identical to my previous pair in everything (at least it seems so).
I've managed to unlock potential in those microdrivers. Here's the mod, it's so simple in concept it's funny.
Execution is a different matter though.

1) Remove the back of the casing - to do so, you need to remove the rubber ring, then use a thin, wide screwdriver to lift the side of the case. A good, relatively safe point to lift it is below the rubber ring.
Warning: the casing is easy to scratch.

2) Put in as much Comply foam as will fit there, taking care to not fully obscure the "white paper" area, which is the vent.
(About the size of the ring, 1.5mm deep, with a cutout for the vent.)
Other kinds of soundproofing closed cell high density foam should also work, perhaps glass wool as well, but this might be hard to pull off.
3) Put the case back together, it does snap in place with a bit more effort. Remember to rotate the strain reliefs if they dislodged. No excessive force is necessary.
4) (Optional, recommended) Remove the unnecessary mesh grille.

If someone is really interested, I can make a wiki page with photos later.

Results: vastly increased bass impact, somewhat increased bass levels, much less 2.5kHz resonance giving cleaner midrange, slightly tighter/faster sound in general. Increased isolation, est. 3 dB. Reduced occlusion effect.
Removal of the mask also increases air slightly. (also about 3 dB?)

Bass is much more agreeable than analytic, "impactless" Brainwavz B2 bass or the original thin bass. Slightly colder than B2, with much more impact and more subbass. Slightly less visceral than extremely powerful SE-5 bass, but that might have something to do with large contact area of the latter - I will experiment with ear molding later.

Again, keep the front foam, it cuts 4 kHz resonance significantly. (More than 6 dB; I think that one is due to the shape of the metal nozzle; foam acting both as a filter and to remove the reflection from the weird flange.)

Tips I used: stock short soft biflange (best), stock long biflange. Comply do something ungainly to the treble.
Next on the agenda - trimming of the overly long cable strain reliefs if possible (makes fit unstable), otherwise recabing,

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #8,648 of 16,931
Joker
Thanks for a great review of Thinksound MS01.
Can you compare MS01 to TS02 and Xears XE200Pro? I am interested in how MS01 compares to these, quantity/quality of bass and the size of soundstage/out-of-headness, etc.  I believe that you no longer have TS02 and XE200Pro so guess it would be from memory
wink.gif

I have XE200Pro and TD4 and found XE200Pro to be just as you described in your review and enjoy it a lot and its out-of-head soundstage
beyersmile.png
.   TD4, however, seems to be quite different from TD3 as you mentioned before.
I am guessing MS01 vs TS02 is somewhat simliar to XE200Pro vs TD3: A little more balanced and a bit brighter treble.  I read in another review that bass quantity is similar between TS02 and MS01 but MS01 has better quality and extension.. 
Thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #8,649 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey Joker, first of all thanks for this thread helped me a lot with buying a good set of iems (Vsonic GR07).

But now I'm looking for something a little more easy for on the road (from and to university, work, short trips).
So I'm searching for a pair of iems which are easy to put in and out, can be worn cable down and don't are to isolated (because I wan't to hear at least something when I'm driving my bike).
Do you know what would be a good pair for that kind of work?
Sound signature in the same region as the Vsonic preferably. Budget is around $50,- but a little more or less doesn't really matter.

The Ultimate Ears 500 might be your best bet. Seems to be ~$50 on amazon currently. With silicone tips the isolation isn't too great (though still better than many) and the sound, while slightly v-shaped, is clean and competent. Bass is nice for outside use but not overwhelming.

Other options - Xears XR120 (still rather well-isolating and not as easy to get), Soundmagic E10 (bassier than the rest but low isolation and very user-friendly), Maximo iM-590, or MEElec SP51 with the neutral bass port.

Quote:
I know this has been asked may times before, but... any idea when you may be able to get to the TF10s review?  

I recently lost an earphone on my TF10 set and am looking at all options for a replacement set. I really enjoy the TF10s (and the fit is perfect for my gi-normous canals, better than any other IEM I've tried), but there may be something else out there that's comparable in the $150 range that's a better sonic fit for me (looking at RE262s and GR07s). I understand there are dozens of TF10 reviews and impressions out there, but putting it in the context of your discerning ear and rating would be highly useful in my (and I expect, many other's) decision.  Anyways, my 2 cents...

I definitely rate the GR07 and RE262 higher than the TF10 - the TF10 for me is in the Shure SE530 - Sony XBA-4 range in terms of sound quality. In fact, I preferred the EPH-100 to the TF10 most of the time when I had it in for review. Keep in mind that they are all different sound signatures, though. 

Quote:
So to sum it up, they would be the best for the price for metal and with smooth treble? :)
The metal I listen to is mostly Panetra, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God, Metallica and more :p

The E10 has smoother treble so that's probably the safer choice. Both are very good earphones.

Quote:
Quick question - is there a better sounding/value IEM than the Hifiman RE-ZERO at its current price of $60? I just ordered a pair and would like to know if I'm missing out. Thanks!

Not that I've heard, personally.

Quote:
what is the difference (SQ, Comfort, and Microphonics) between "AKG K3003" and "Fitear togo 334"  ?

I haven't finished my listening with the TG334 yet but I consider it to be slightly better than the K3003 in comfort and sound quality. Neither has much cable noise. Review should be up late this month.

Quote:
Joker,

Did you hear the TF10 with Null Audio Lune Cable? If so, did you like?

I have not.

Quote:
Hm a yamaha eph-100sl page joker recommended me closed, any other reviews out there? I'd appreciate the help.

There's a very long EPH-100 thread out in the forum. EPH-100 and EPH-100SL are the same thing.

Quote:
Joker
Thanks for a great review of Thinksound MS01.
Can you compare MS01 to TS02 and Xears XE200Pro? I am interested in how MS01 compares to these, quantity/quality of bass and the size of soundstage/out-of-headness, etc.  I believe that you no longer have TS02 and XE200Pro so guess it would be from memory
wink.gif

I have XE200Pro and TD4 and found XE200Pro to be just as you described in your review and enjoy it a lot and its out-of-head soundstage
beyersmile.png
.   TD4, however, seems to be quite different from TD3 as you mentioned before.
I am guessing MS01 vs TS02 is somewhat simliar to XE200Pro vs TD3: A little more balanced and a bit brighter treble.  I read in another review that bass quantity is similar between TS02 and MS01 but MS01 has better quality and extension.. 
Thanks

The MS01 does improve on the biggest faults I found with the TS02 - the somewhat average clarity and upper treble presence. It won't be as wide-sounding as the XE200Pro but I don't think it'll be far behind. Bass will be cleaner but perhaps slightly less even between mid-bass and sub-bass (the XE200Pro has pretty good deep bass from what I remember). The treble is definitely sparklier on the MS01.

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #8,650 of 16,931
Thank you so much for your hard work, and for the new review of the V3. I placed the order for them a couple of days ago, and I am really looking forward to hearing them.

At the moment I use my Denon 710 and I like the soundstage alot, if you remember what is the difference between the soundstage of 710 and V3?

Again thank you! :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #8,651 of 16,931
i just brought an er-4p from dixons at the istanbul airport . are there fake er-4p in the market ? cuz the unit was priced as low as 102 euro , and the shure se215 were 105 euros . can it be fake ?

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #8,652 of 16,931
Quote:
The E10 has smoother treble so that's probably the safer choice. Both are very good earphones.

From your review the E10 sounds too bassy, if that's the case I think I'll go with the CW31, I'm liking it. Thanks for the help :)

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #8,653 of 16,931
Quote:
From your review the E10 sounds too bassy, if that's the case I think I'll go with the CW31, I'm liking it. Thanks for the help :)

cw31 will be the best choice .

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #8,655 of 16,931
I just saw the spreadsheet (duh) and did some analysis.  Based on ljokerl's excellent reviews, here is a list sorted by the most comfortable and best sound under $120 (for anyone interested...)  Sort order is least to most expensive, the best to worst comfort and then best to worst sound.  All of them scored at least 4/5 on comfort and 7.5/10 on sound:

Xears TD-III Blackwood v2
VSonic GR06
Fischer Audio Consonance
Fischer Audio Eterna
ECCI PR401
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE0
Etymotic Research MC5 / MC2 / MC3
Phiaton PS 20
MEElectronics CC51 / CC51P
Audéo Phonak Perfect Bass
Head-Direct (HiFiMan) RE-ZERO
HiSoundAudio Crystal