Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #8,626 of 16,931
Hey joker, one more question before I buy the Meelectronics CW31, are they good for metal? That's the most problematic genre I have with headphones, will it work well with these? Thanks :)

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #8,629 of 16,931
Quote:
I found the cable noise to be annoying on the A161s though they did sound incredible.  I like to lay on my side while I listen to music and I couldn't get them to feel comfortable after trying a couple of different tips.  I'm a noobie on audiophile equipment, but I decided to send them back.  Seems like the SE215s might provide better comfort at this price point.  They should also provide better bass since they're using dynamic drivers instead of BAs, correct? 

I'm not a bass head but the music I listen to has a lot of deep tones (think "If 6 was 9" by Jimi Hendrix or the "Gayene Ballet Adagio" from the 2001 soundtrack if you're familiar.  (Yeah, I'm a grey beard...)  

Any recommendations for this kind of listening? 

Thanks!

JJ

It's not always the case that a dynamic would have more bass than the balanced armature but it's true for the SE215 vs A161P. The SE215 was not 100% comfortable for me for laying on my side as the cable connectors can get in the way but it's still much better than an A161P. I found the VSonic GR06 to be better for sleeping in. 

Quote:
Joker!! How about a review of the ATH-CKW1000/CKM1000? Would really like to see how good you consider their sound to be. I would send you my pair if i can part with them when I eventually purchase them (CKM1000 within 2-3 weeks). Just so as long as you burn them in for me 
L3000.gif
, I would consider it to be a great honor to add another top tier iem to your legendary list. How does one go about assisting you in this endeavor? What is the wait time?

From what I understand, they were not tuned to be a huge upgrade over the CKM99 so I never was actively interested in them. Happy to take a listen, though 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
And a quick question for anyone who can reply, are their any customs that go with a straight down cable approach? I am not a big fan of the behind the ear iem. Sucks because I would spend top dollar for them and the best reviewed phones happen to be as such. 

There are some companies that offer you the choice between having them molded cable-up or cable-down (e.g. Fabs), and one or two that use rotating cable connectors (e.g. Livewires). Other companies may be able to do it as well with a non-detachable cable but you'd have to ask. 

Quote:
Joker,

Have you tried the bass edition of the Vsonic GR07? 

I have not.

Quote:
Joker,

I've ordered the Phonak 232's but they have not shipped yet.  I was able to get them for $450 delivered.
Now I am reconsidering, and your input would be appreciated.
The review you give the 1964-v3 makes them very tempting. 

I chose the phonak's in part because they were your highest rated earphones with phone/mic/control capability (excluding the much much pricier AKG's).  I've checked with 1964 and they say that their buds are compatible with some cables with that control such as this one:
http://www.jhaudio.com/product/mic-cable-smart-phones

(do you have experience with JHAudio buds and how they compare with 1964's?)

Now with impressions and that second cable the 1964's are likely to cost closer to $550 for me, where the Phonak's are $450.

So which should I go for?

Now I will say that I listen to a variety of music - not much electronic/dub type stuff that many other posters seem to enjoy.  I listen to rock, classical, and jazz.  And I have been using the "5" series shure's, mostly the 530's, for many years.  I do really like their sound - cheaper phones when i try them seem to have way over extended bass that is very unrealistic.

That said, the "V" signature of the 232's may be less appealing to me than the 1964's.  Absolute isolation is less of a priority to me than sound quality (I am a listener, not a stage musician!) and I do have some concern about the "maintenance" that would be required with customs - do I need to replace them every few years if my ears change?  (I am 54 years old, if that matters.)

Anyway, any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

I have not heard a JHAudio product yet and when I do it will most likely be way outside the 1964-V3's price category.

Regarding maintenance - from what I understand your ears don't change over time once you're past your late teens. If you gain or lose a significant amount of weight you may have to get them remolded (which is still cheaper than buying a whole new earphone). Other maintenance is minimal - remove wax from the nozzles once in a while and don't leave them in moist areas. 

Also, the 1964-T has quite a bit more bass than the SE530. 

Quote:
Hey joker, one more question before I buy the Meelectronics CW31, are they good for metal? That's the most problematic genre I have with headphones, will it work well with these? Thanks :)

They may be a bit more laid-back in the highs than I like for metal but for $30 you won't do a whole lot better. Soundstage is also a touch flat in terms of depth but not too bad. They are resolving, clear, and not too mid-bassy, which is where a lot of cheap earphones break down for me when it comes to metal. Metal is a pretty broad category, though. I keep a few metal albums on hand for quick benchmarking but the two I use most often are Panopticon by Isis and Arrows & Anchors by Fair to Midland. I think both are quintessential modern metal and both sound just awful with sub-par headphones. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #8,633 of 16,931
Joker,

I'm currently trying to decide between yamaha eph-100 and westone um3x (I own both) and I saw that you gave slightly higher score to UM3X in terms of sound quality. However, I have not been able to notice any difference between them maybe except slightly more laid back treble on the yamahas which may actually be something good for long listening sessions. Vocals sound exactly the same, bass is pretty much equal too. Instrument separation and imaging seems more or less same too. What is your take on these 2 head to head ? I also have SM3 V2 but I already decided to return them since bass is slightly weaker compared to UM3X and EPH-100. I mostly listen to vocal jazz and edm/trance. Should I maybe try something else ? 

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #8,634 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker how would you compare the soundmagic e10 and the she3580 (the es18 uses the e10 drivers and are priced around the she3580)?

Answered recently: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-263-iems-compared-1964ears-1964-v3-added-11-04-12/8310#post_8751761

Quote:
Joker,

I'm currently trying to decide between yamaha eph-100 and westone um3x (I own both) and I saw that you gave slightly higher score to UM3X in terms of sound quality. However, I have not been able to notice any difference between them maybe except slightly more laid back treble on the yamahas which may actually be something good for long listening sessions. Vocals sound exactly the same, bass is pretty much equal too. Instrument separation and imaging seems more or less same too. What is your take on these 2 head to head ? I also have SM3 V2 but I already decided to return them since bass is slightly weaker compared to UM3X and EPH-100. I mostly listen to vocal jazz and edm/trance. Should I maybe try something else ? 

You should keep the one that sounds best to you. I would only look at other options if neither is satisfactory--both are solid earphones with no major flaws.  

Nov 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #8,636 of 16,931
Hey Joker, first of all thanks for this thread helped me a lot with buying a good set of iems (Vsonic GR07).

But now I'm looking for something a little more easy for on the road (from and to university, work, short trips).
So I'm searching for a pair of iems which are easy to put in and out, can be worn cable down and don't are to isolated (because I wan't to hear at least something when I'm driving my bike).
Do you know what would be a good pair for that kind of work?
Sound signature in the same region as the Vsonic preferably. Budget is around $50,- but a little more or less doesn't really matter.

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #8,637 of 16,931
I know this has been asked may times before, but... any idea when you may be able to get to the TF10s review?  

I recently lost an earphone on my TF10 set and am looking at all options for a replacement set. I really enjoy the TF10s (and the fit is perfect for my gi-normous canals, better than any other IEM I've tried), but there may be something else out there that's comparable in the $150 range that's a better sonic fit for me (looking at RE262s and GR07s). I understand there are dozens of TF10 reviews and impressions out there, but putting it in the context of your discerning ear and rating would be highly useful in my (and I expect, many other's) decision.  Anyways, my 2 cents...

Nov 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #8,639 of 16,931
Quote:
They may be a bit more laid-back in the highs than I like for metal but for $30 you won't do a whole lot better. Soundstage is also a touch flat in terms of depth but not too bad. They are resolving, clear, and not too mid-bassy, which is where a lot of cheap earphones break down for me when it comes to metal. Metal is a pretty broad category, though. I keep a few metal albums on hand for quick benchmarking but the two I use most often are Panopticon by Isis and Arrows & Anchors by Fair to Midland. I think both are quintessential modern metal and both sound just awful with sub-par headphones. 

So to sum it up, they would be the best for the price for metal and with smooth treble? :)
The metal I listen to is mostly Panetra, Iron Maiden, Lamb of God, Metallica and more :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back