Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 27, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #8,011 of 16,931
Wow. I've never seen a more comprehensive review of iem's. This is perfect for a reference point when deciding what to buy/suggest. Even with listening to many IEM's, i cant remember what they all sound like, and I don't get to see what they come with brand new.
For the sennheiser ie8's, the favorite tip/buds are the single flange silicon. Mine came with foam buds that are much better then the silicon, but they might not have been included... oh wait i can check.

Apparently it came with "foam hybrid" buds. That must be different from normal foam buds, which is what i got. 
The foam buds i got are brilliant, they have a shallow fit like all the other buds, so the passive isolation isn't brilliant, but when playing music they block noise excellently, and at moderate volumes.
The 2.5 for isolation is a bit harsh, the cx 300 got 3.5, i have them, and the ie8's isolation is much better, so it could be a 4 at least.
It does depend highly on the foam buds though.

Well, i just tested the isolation of the cx 300 and ie8 using my speakers.
My test involved playing music at a volume of 12 on my sony walkman while turning the speakers up until i could definitely hear the music coming from them over the music from the iem's. The cx 300's achieved about 16 volume, the ie8 achieved.... about 8....
I'm not surprised they got the 2.5 now. The isolation is enough for trains, etc, but it still sucks because of the shallow seal.
Turning the walkman up to 18 volume still only isolated to 16/17 volume on the speakers... At that volume the cx 300's block the speakers up to about 27/28.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #8,012 of 16,931
Quote:
 Probably he haven't got the tips/insertion right yet, it took me quite a while to get the triple-flange on the right depth, in the begining it was too shalow(and so didn't isolate), then I tried it too deep(yes, it was dumb, at least I stoped before I did any damage), and finaly I got the depth right, and well, half of the world around me was gone.

It may be wishfull thinking, but is it possible to get the same level of isolation with the Westone 4(using some magical tips?) as I get with the HF5 + triple flange( I (sadly) accept that I won't be getting the same type of isolation I get with the ety-foam tips........)

I'm pretty sure I'm inserting them deep enough, if I insert them any further I will damage my eardrum.
confused_face.gif
 They do isolate very good, it could just be that my expectations are too high.

Aug 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #8,013 of 16,931
hey guy , the ue 9OO is out !!! with 4 BAs , small , blue , and looks good , waiting for some hands on review . hope it will be better then some quad BA and will be the top dog .

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #8,015 of 16,931
Quote:
Say, joker, is the GR07 responsive with EQ? I'm thinking to get it just for the soundstage and just play with EQ for what I need. 

Yes, quite responsive.

Quote:

Okay, that might be a problem. I'm not against bright-sounding headphones (heck, I sold off my PX 100-IIs within a month cause I found them too boring), but I do have issues with treble. At times it can be too shrill for me. Hmmm.
Is there any other option in the same category? What about the new JVCs, the FX40? Head-fi's gone crazy about them lately. Have you had a chance to try them out yet?

Yes, I have had an FX40. It did not sound right to me - too recessed in the lower midrange and too aggressive in the treble. It's very detailed and clear but I'll take the GR02 any day. 

Quote:
Any chance of a rockit sounds r 50 review in future?

Yes! (for once I can say yes to one of these)

Quote:
I just want to say that I have immensely studied this thread with a couple headphones I was interested in, awesome work. Would you consider checking out a set of the JVC HA-FX1X? There is already a large discussion thread on them here.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/577508/jvc-ha-fx1x-xtreme-xplosive-impressions-hopefully-fan-thread

I actually have heard the FX1X recently but was very disappointed by how bloated the bass was. I have an FX101 here that I will review soon if I can find time.

Quote:
I just recieved my GR04 Pro/Flagship and all I can say is WOW.. except one thing.. like the GR02, harsh 6k-10k band and "ssss", I hope they settle in after first hundred hours or whatever, it's not an issue with all songs but when it is, it's a little disturbing, anyway I think I'll try foam tips which should absorb some of the "s" quantity, right? ..and play a little with the eq on my sansa.. Overall, incredible sound for 50$.

Sibilance seems to be a house thing with VSonic dynamic drivers. Only the GR99 doesn't really have any.

Quote:
Which of these is best for casual listeing (all same price)
JVC ha fxt90l2
Rockit sounds r 50
Jays q jays
acs t15 (used)
yamaha eph 100
radius hptwf11k (used)
panasonic hje 900
brainwavz b2

Those are all over the place in terms of sound - you really need to figure out what kind of signature you are looking for. The EPH-100 and TWF11K would probably be the safest choices if you really don't know what you want. 

Quote:
Which IEM comes closest to the sound of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II?
I´m looking at the Meeceltronics A161, Yamaha Eph-100, REO....do any of these have a similar sound presentation to the HD 25?
If not, any recommendations?

Thanks

They all have their pros and cons but I wouldn't say the A161P or RE0 are particularly reminiscent of the HD25 - both have less bass (the RE0 even less than A161P), more forward mids, and smoother treble. That's not to say you won't like them, though, especially if you're just looking for balance, clarity, and detail. The EPH-100 is closer in being similar to the HD25 in bass response - still not a great match for the Sennheisers' signature overall with its darker tone but not bad. The JVCs in that price range (FXT90 or FX500) may be an even better match. 

Quote:
@DEZ: I dumped my HD25s for a pair of Meelec CC51s and I'm still not regretting it, and I loved the Sennheisers. Great bass, lively highs and crunchy but a bit distant midrange. Clear and very engaging sound, in short. They're about $50 so you don't really have much to lose by trying them.

Which brings me to my next point: I wanna upgrade. I have the CC51, love them, but have a bit of a fit issue (small canals). I also ordered the Meelec A151 on a whim, don't really care for the sound, too warm and a bit smudged, IMO. What I'm looking for is an upgrade to the CC51, with maybe a better midrange, while keeping the clarity and engaging sound (read slight V-shape). My first target is the A161p, but I'm a bit reluctant, as it's a BA and might be lacking in bass and treble. Budget is a factor - around $100, as is availability, since I live in Europe and things here are expensive and hard to come by.

Sorry for the long post. TL;DR version: upgrade to the CC51s, 100$. A161p yes or no? Thanks for tuning in.

The CC51 is a good match for the HD25. The A161P isn't v-shaped but it definitely is a step up over the A151 - much more balanced and clean, with deeper bass and better treble extension. The A151 is lacking a bit on both ends of the spectrum and the CC51 is a bit overzealous with midbass but the A161P is closer to 'just right'. Clearly not 'it' if you're looking for a v-shape response but one of the better IEMs in the price range IMO.  

Quote:
YO i just got the jvc fxt90 and they sound very nice considering i got them for 112$ including tax but as mentioned, their shallow fit doesn't allow for much isolation. These also have very large nozzles and none of the tips from my other earphones fit these. Anyone know of some longer tips that would fit the fxt90?

MEElec bi-flange tips worked for me, especially the shorter ones from the M11+.

Quote:
joker, i have fx500 and tf10, i'm planning to save-up for new iem

just wanted to ask you, if the miracle is massive upgrade from these?

i love my fx500 due to its sub bass, timbre, soundstage and airy highs

and i also love my tf10 due it's midbass, details and mids

can i get the best of both worlds in miracle?

or any iem you may suggest?

thank you,

The Miracle is not midbassy - it's definitely a large upgrade over both of your earphones but perhaps not the right upgrade for you. The AKG K3003 seems like it would be closer to what you want and I'm sure there are a bunch of customs out there that I haven't heard with bassier sound than the Miracle. 

Quote:
Just bought a pair of etymotic hf5 which I thought is brand new but in fact is opened box and am not even sure if it is used or not for $130 in a store, I was pretty upset when I find out about it but not anymore when I put them in my ear, they isolates quite good which is one of the reason why I bought them, and they sounds very balanced and detailed, nothing seems to be missing from them unlike the jvc fx40, which also sounds pretty detailed but has a v-shaped frequency response with quite a few peaks and dips.
I won't be purchasing anymore earphones until my hf5 stops working.
etysmile.gif

Mine has a I plug instead of the 45 degree plug that joker has reviewed, I suppose mine are the older version?

Congrats on the HF5 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
 Probably he haven't got the tips/insertion right yet, it took me quite a while to get the triple-flange on the right depth, in the begining it was too shalow(and so didn't isolate), then I tried it too deep(yes, it was dumb, at least I stoped before I did any damage), and finaly I got the depth right, and well, half of the world around me was gone.

It may be wishfull thinking, but is it possible to get the same level of isolation with the Westone 4(using some magical tips?) as I get with the HF5 + triple flange( I (sadly) accept that I won't be getting the same type of isolation I get with the ety-foam tips........)

You can get pretty close with Westone triples on the W4 but the shape of your ears will play a bigger role than with the straight-barrel HF5s. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #8,016 of 16,931
I'm having comfort issues on my newly bought IE80's.

All of the stock tips are too large for my right ear and cause pain and irritation on prolonged use. The only tip that kinda works is the small foam tip, but even that one is still a little bit too large.
My left ear is problem-less and I can comfortably fit anything from small to large tips in that ear.

I'm looking for some new tips. Ones that can fit comfortably in small ears.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #8,019 of 16,931
Those are 5.5mm nozzle - this might be the problem already.
I'd try Comply Ts500, small. Jays foams or single flanges might work too.

Comply's website says the IE80 needs the 400 series. The IE8 needs the 500 series.

How do you measure nozzle size by the way?
There is a thick part, and a recessed part. The thick part is 6.5mm, the recessed part 5mm.

And why specifically the Ts if I may ask? the T and Tx look slimmer.

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8,023 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey joker, 
Do you think you're gonna get the JVC nanotube series and review them at all anytime soon ?
(HA-FX40 - HA-FXD80-Z) 
cheers

I was not a fan of the FX40 but I'm working on an FXD80 review.

Quote:
I've just seen the brookstone clear dual driver iem. Is this an exact copy of the radius hp twf11? if so why is it so cheap?

Actually the TWF21, not the TWF11. QC is lacking in my experience but otherwise it is pretty close to the Radius. Actually some have said QC is lacking with Radius sets also so maybe they are not different at all.

Quote:
Is it worth buying and recabling a pair of klipsch custom 3's for total cost around $130 

Probably not if you have to do the work yourself. There's tons of other great options in the $150 range and even some sub-$100 sets like the MEElec A161P that will give the Custom 3 a run for the money.

Aug 31, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #8,025 of 16,931
Hi guys! i recently sold my Soundmagic PL30 and got a pair of VSonic gr99.
Vsonic's ar far the best IEM i ever tried, but i would like to try something more expensive..

I listen to electronic/trance/house music (with sweet female vocals and deep bass), hip hop, and sometimes rock and metal.
I'm looking for an IEM with a good mid and a punchy bass when it's needed

I've got my eyes on:

Vsonic GR06 (Mid centric with over-the-ear form factor that i loved on my PL30)

Sunrise SW-Xcape impressive ed. (balanced, seem to fit my requirements)

Soundmagic PL50 (or MEElec a151, astrotec AM90..i'd like to try a BA but it seems that people coming from Dinamic Drivers hear a noticeable lack of bass.. i'm afraid i would be disappointed)

Any help?
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back