Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 29, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #7,696 of 16,931
Quote:

For classical music, which one is better? GR 02 standard edition or the bass edition or even GR 99?

I don't really like heavy bass for what little classical music I listen to but unfortunately I haven't heard the regular GR02. The GR99 is a touch less bassy than the GR02 BE overall, which might help.

Quote:

Thanks for your thoughts Joker. I've done a bit more reading on the ones you've mentioned, but I get the feeling that unless I spring for something like the RE272 I'm going to get a different but not necessarily better overall sound. Maybe I should give the q-jays a try with some other tips while saving and looking out for a used RE272. Do you have suggestions on what tips to try with the q-jays? I have a hard time figuring out what's compatible because manufacturers never list it specifically.

The q-JAYS and ER4 are both top-tier IEMs so I wouldn't expect huge jumps in quality from there, just sound signatures more to your liking and mild jumps in performance here and there. Aside from stock silicones, I liked Klipsch gel tips and smaller Sony Hybrids on the q-JAYS.

Quote:
I just want to thank you, Joker for your suggestions and for this thread. Despite your cautioning against it (I'm not too fond of bass heavy sets), I went for the GR02 Bass Edition. I have to say that you are spot on in your advice and reviews. They are extremely nice phones, great sound quality, but there is a bit more bass than I would have liked. I switched my iPod eq to "Bass Reducer" and couldn't be happier. They sound balanced and analytical and not at all lean. Additionally, the GR02 can be had even cheaper from Lend Me Ur Ears without the Sony Hybrid style tips. I seem to have very finicky ears, nothing fits my left ear. I think that my inner canal is very narrow and my outer ear is very wide, so few tips fit well, including bi-flanges. On a lark, I placed an order with Meelec. I got some of their "Balanced Sound" tips, small triple flanges, over ear loops and a case. Everything they sell is reasonably priced and very well made. I couldn't get the triple flanges to fit, but the "Balanced Sound" bi-flanges are incredible! They use a much softer, thinner silicone that isolates incredibly well and is extra comfy! Do they balance the sound of the GR02? Not really, but boy are they comfortable! I found that by installing the GR02s upside down, with or without over-ear-guides, they insert deeper and the comfort is incredible!

Anyway, those are my thoughts, somewhat non sequitur, but I wanted to share.

Thanks! I still have the MEE 'balanced' tips on my GR02 as well. They are meant to work with the M9 - the M9 stock tips are thicker so in a way the balanced tips do cut the bass a little. Like you, I just like them for the comfort, though. I have a second pair of them on my beater/gym phones (H2O Audio Flex) and a bunch more scattered around. 

Quote:
Can anyone help me with choosing between the meelec m9 and the jvc fx101

I have an FX101 on loan. It's an improvement on the FX1X, which had an overly intrusive mid-bass hump for my taste. The signature is somewhat reminiscent of the M9, or even an Atrio, but without the deep bass of either. Aside from poorer deep bass it differs from the M9 with less recessed mids but slightly more hyped-up lower treble. My old M9 (which must have a thousand hours on it now) is less fatiguing but also not as clear and detailed as the JVCs.

Quote:
Do the CC51 need any burn in

All equipment will 'burn in' naturally with use so I don't see why that should be part of a buying decision.

Jul 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #7,698 of 16,931
Hello, I'm looking for an advice.
I prefer music like John Legend, Coldplay, David Guetta, Jamiroquai and some house musica. So I look into good bass (and I want my ears are isolated from the rest) but at the same time with good medium and high, before I had sennheiser cx 300 II, but some experts told me that GR02 vsonic is much better than sennheiser I used and that are perfect for my requirments, but the problem is that I live in Italy and I need that in ears in a little time max 7 days.
What about your opinion?
I was considering some inears available in europe (vsonic are from singapore it will take long time) so with a fast shipment and with the same price of vsonic 30/50 euro more or less, any advice (please in europe) ?
I listen music with iphone 4.
Thank you.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #7,699 of 16,931
you need xears td III , its from germany , try a xb41ex at a sony store .

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7,700 of 16,931
Hello, I would not like to ask anything, but to thank ljokerl for the great topic and the great informations there are here in this magnificent review!

All my present earphones I bought using the information in this topic as a guideline and comparative and I don't regret ANY of them, as they are, I love all 3 of them.

Please keep doing this great job!!

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #7,703 of 16,931
Quote:
Do you think the CC51 is a good buy. I might pick these up sometime soon.

The ratings and reviews at the front of this thread should answer that.

Quote:
Hello, I'm looking for an advice.
I prefer music like John Legend, Coldplay, David Guetta, Jamiroquai and some house musica. So I look into good bass (and I want my ears are isolated from the rest) but at the same time with good medium and high, before I had sennheiser cx 300 II, but some experts told me that GR02 vsonic is much better than sennheiser I used and that are perfect for my requirments, but the problem is that I live in Italy and I need that in ears in a little time max 7 days.
What about your opinion?
I was considering some inears available in europe (vsonic are from singapore it will take long time) so with a fast shipment and with the same price of vsonic 30/50 euro more or less, any advice (please in europe) ?
I listen music with iphone 4.
Thank you.

I don't know what's available to you locally. Maybe look around for a Philips SHE3580 and see if that does it for you? 

Quote:
Hello, I would not like to ask anything, but to thank ljokerl for the great topic and the great informations there are here in this magnificent review!

All my present earphones I bought using the information in this topic as a guideline and comparative and I don't regret ANY of them, as they are, I love all 3 of them.

Please keep doing this great job!!

Glad to hear, and thanks!

Quote:
(price aside) which one you prefer ? the A151 or the AM-90 , and why?

I prefer the sound of the AM-90 since I like its treble better but with fit factored in I'd probably take the A151. It's one of the many lightweight over-the-ear IEMs that I can just forget about. 

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #7,708 of 16,931
the m4 is good , big bass , a big v shaped sound which you will love .

Jul 30, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #7,709 of 16,931
ljokerl, kudos for this impressive thread!!! THANKS THANKS THANKS!

I was  in the quest for the ideal (for me) IEM, so first read all your reviews from $30 to $100, and confirmed your listening taste was in line
with mine (comparing your impressions from IEMs I owned, like a-jays three, Senheisser CX-300 II, Apple's, Ety's er6i), so I just let me "follow that light"
and your virtual guidance has been priceless!

I'm just raving with my new GR06, best money spent on a IEM on all these years. I'm even considering the GR07. Your reviews are spot on!

Just out of curiosity, do you have any DIY experience? have you recabled an IEM and noticed a change in its sound?

Thanks!

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #7,710 of 16,931
Joker, do the regular Monster Turbines have the same insertion depth issues as the Gold and Copper? You mention the latter two being sensitive to insertion depth, but nothing was said about the original Turbines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back