Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #7,591 of 16,931
  Hey guys! I'm looking to go for a custom IEM, haven't quite decided on price range yet, certainly not some 300 dollar IEM and probably not something over 1000 either. But I've had a lot of interest in Unique Melody but from the looks of it the Merlins may be too bass heavy for me, while something like the mage may not be sufficient. Can anyone familiar with UM give me a hint at what may be a good model for me? Or any other brand with a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks =)

The 1964-T and Alclair Reference are two customs I've heard in that price range with less bass than the Merlins. The Reference is really quite impressive for $500 but you should definitely ask average_joe for more recommendations - he's heard far more customs than I have. 

|joker|, allow me to make a correction to the nozzle size of the YAMAHA EPH-100's, where you have it as 5.5mm it's in fact 6.5mm. I just measured mine with a caliper. I found this as I'm looking for foam tips that will fit them...

Thanks, it should have been 6. While I know that I'm off on the sizes, for consistency's sake I've chosen to keep using the same ruler I've been using from the start to take measurements. They are really quite approximate and meant for comparing/contrasting two earphones.

Quote:
  Hi all.

I'm looking at replacing my recently broken Meelectronics CC51P.. I've been recommended the A161P but the cost is a little too steep for me (and i'm not sure i would like them).

I mainly listen to electronic dance music. I remember i was a little dissapointed by the sound from the CC51P but i can't recall what it was.

I prefer a detailed treble (is that right?) and overall clarity. I have a tendency to be really sensitive to bass heavy headphones/iem's.
I do enjoy the rumble from sub bass but i hate hearing the bass being overpowering.
I use a pair of Sennheiser 25-1 ii when mixing (and music listening at home) and i really enjoy the sound of those. I have another pair of Sennheiser (i believe it's pc360) that i mainly use for gaming. They are open and iirc uses the same drivers as the 555. I prefer these only for gaming and not for music listening.

Could you recommend something for me? Something around $100 and preferably available in the EU, as importing from the us/rest of the world would add taxes and such.

It also needs to have a mic for use with an iphone.

Thanks!

Considering you're not in the US, there's not much I'm aware of that will best the CC51P for similar money while having a mic and bass that isn't bloated. I know others have been offered a loyalty discount on MEE gear before - maybe you can inquire about that if you want an A161P. The HD25 is pretty bassy compared to the A161P, more along the lines of a Spider Realvoice. Not sure about availability outside the US but the Realvioce is ~$90 here.  

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #7,592 of 16,931
Quote:

Thanks guys, I've pulled the trigger on these yesterday. However, I'm starting to get worried. I checked my order status and it says 'Payment received. Waiting for shipping' since yesterday.
It was also weird, they didn't ask me to give shipping address anywhere when I checked out (as far as I remembered). Regarding this I've also emailed the shipping department, and ask them that it would be the same as my paypal billing address, and still no reply whatsoever.. Does this seem normal?

Never mind this thing guys, I've got my reply. It will be shipped today, and I can't wait to try something new in terms of character.

Jul 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #7,593 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi all.

I'm looking at replacing my recently broken Meelectronics CC51P.. I've been recommended the A161P but the cost is a little too steep for me (and i'm not sure i would like them).

I mainly listen to electronic dance music. I remember i was a little dissapointed by the sound from the CC51P but i can't recall what it was.

I prefer a detailed treble (is that right?) and overall clarity. I have a tendency to be really sensitive to bass heavy headphones/iem's.
I do enjoy the rumble from sub bass but i hate hearing the bass being overpowering.
I use a pair of Sennheiser 25-1 ii when mixing (and music listening at home) and i really enjoy the sound of those. I have another pair of Sennheiser (i believe it's pc360) that i mainly use for gaming. They are open and iirc uses the same drivers as the 555. I prefer these only for gaming and not for music listening.

Could you recommend something for me? Something around $100 and preferably available in the EU, as importing from the us/rest of the world would add taxes and such.

It also needs to have a mic for use with an iphone.

Thanks!

You can use code  BUY_AGAIN_20  on the meelec site to get 20% off, so the A161P will be $79.99 instead of $99.99 and you may choose the gift option, so they don't print the price on the package and send it as a gift to avoid the additional taxes

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #7,594 of 16,931
Quote:

The nozzle of the CC51 might be 6.1mm - I would just round it off to 6 anyway. The takeaway message is that the CC51 nozzle is slightly fatter than that of the EPH-100, which is confirmed by CC51 tips being a bit loose on the Yamahas. 

Quote:
Quote:
|joker|, allow me to make a correction to the nozzle size of the YAMAHA EPH-100's, where you have it as 5.5mm it's in fact 6.5mm. I just measured mine with a caliper. I found this as I'm looking for foam tips that will fit them...

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, it should have been 6. While I know that I'm off on the sizes, for consistency's sake I've chosen to keep using the same ruler I've been using from the start to take measurements. They are really quite approximate and meant for comparing/contrasting two earphones.

putente and joker, thanks again so much for the followups!  Very much appreciated!

My non-scientific "insert random object in ear" testing has revealed my threshold for pain lies about a diameter of approximately 8.5mm for relatively shallow insertion. 

I realize however that nozzle diameter, regardless of accuracy/methodology, actually isn't helpful in addressing pain concerns - the statistic of interest from this perspective would be the diameter of the compressed tip installed around the nozzle - something that would be impractical at best to establish with a ruler.  Case in point:  My time trying to make the CC51's work for me revealed that while even the smallest stock tip proved unbearably painful over time, inserted "tip-less" the drivers would simply fall out without any pressure on the canal - the thickness of these tips can make all the difference.  In retrospect it may have been fruitful to seek out tips of thinner material or to modify the stock tips somehow in that regard, but I had motivation to gift that set to a friend.

To the EPH-100's, I gather these are best stated "in the same ballpark" as the cc51's, but the nozzles are at least somewhat smaller from joker's tip looseness observation.  I have learned from my self-testing that a single mm can make all the difference however so I remain hopeful these IEM's may yet fit me well.  Putente, would you be able to venture the approximate diameter of the compressed flange installed around the nozzle/driver with your calipers?  If you mean the sort of pointy calipers that might damage the tips please don't risk it though =)!

Thanks again to everyone!

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #7,596 of 16,931
Quote:
joker, which full and portable phones are of similar sound signature and SQ as EX1000?  More mid forward is better than less. Thanks.

Nothing portable I can think of for both signature and quality of EX1000. My experience with full-size cans is limited to a few dozen. The Beyer DT880/250 comes to mind, maybe the K701 and (from a brief audition) the HD800. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #7,597 of 16,931
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs since my Sennheiser CX 400 II's plug is broken.

I use my N9 phone as a source. I listen to various talk based podcasts, and all kind of music, though mostly rock.

Things I'd want from my future IEMs:

-good build quality, since I hold my phone in my front pocket the plug might get a bit twisted (that broke my current IEMs)
-I plan to use these whilst exercising so they might be exposed to sweat
-I'd like the cost to be under 100€ since they do get abused

After reading reviews I'm on the verge of buying a pair of VSonic GR06.

Do you think this is a good choice for me?

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #7,598 of 16,931
100 euros !! go for something better bro , get the yamaha eph-100 , or jvc ha-fxt-90 . i wonder if you can get a xba-3 for that price , cuz its 110 euros here .

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7,600 of 16,931
Quote:
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new pair of IEMs since my Sennheiser CX 400 II's plug is broken.

I use my N9 phone as a source. I listen to various talk based podcasts, and all kind of music, though mostly rock.

Things I'd want from my future IEMs:

-good build quality, since I hold my phone in my front pocket the plug might get a bit twisted (that broke my current IEMs)
-I plan to use these whilst exercising so they might be exposed to sweat
-I'd like the cost to be under 100€ since they do get abused

After reading reviews I'm on the verge of buying a pair of VSonic GR06.

Do you think this is a good choice for me?

Most non-sport IEMs aren't designed for such rough use so it's hard to say how they will perform in the long run. You want something with an L-plug so that the cable doesn't get destroyed. The GR06 does fit that description. There are a couple of other very sturdy IEMs out there in that price range  - the Beyer DTX 101, for example, or the Dunu sets (Trident, Hephaes, Hawkeye). 

Jul 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #7,602 of 16,931
Quote:

putente and joker, thanks again so much for the followups!  Very much appreciated!

My non-scientific "insert random object in ear" testing has revealed my threshold for pain lies about a diameter of approximately 8.5mm for relatively shallow insertion. 

I realize however that nozzle diameter, regardless of accuracy/methodology, actually isn't helpful in addressing pain concerns - the statistic of interest from this perspective would be the diameter of the compressed tip installed around the nozzle - something that would be impractical at best to establish with a ruler.  Case in point:  My time trying to make the CC51's work for me revealed that while even the smallest stock tip proved unbearably painful over time, inserted "tip-less" the drivers would simply fall out without any pressure on the canal - the thickness of these tips can make all the difference.  In retrospect it may have been fruitful to seek out tips of thinner material or to modify the stock tips somehow in that regard, but I had motivation to gift that set to a friend.

To the EPH-100's, I gather these are best stated "in the same ballpark" as the cc51's, but the nozzles are at least somewhat smaller from joker's tip looseness observation.  I have learned from my self-testing that a single mm can make all the difference however so I remain hopeful these IEM's may yet fit me well.  Putente, would you be able to venture the approximate diameter of the compressed flange installed around the nozzle/driver with your calipers?  If you mean the sort of pointy calipers that might damage the tips please don't risk it though =)!

Thanks again to everyone!

I have what I hope is a helpful update for anyone else concerned with EPH100 diameter pains...

A friend lent me his CC51's to subject to further measurements (using a calibrated ruler app on my phone) and I've eyeballed the following results:
1. Bare nozzle, without tips = 6.5mm
2. Smallest tip, uncompressed = 11mm at the widest
3. Smallest tip, compressed* = 9.1mm  <-- taken by pulling the flange tight at the base, which resulted in a flat profile viewed against the ruler.

These results marry with my "pain threshold" object-insertion measurements, and inform the CC51's passed my pain threshold (~8.5mm) by only ~0.6mm.  Small numbers matter!

EDIT:
By all accounts, if the CC51 stock tips (which install fairly snugly) are "noticeably loose" on the EPH100's, I'll extrapolate their nozzle is at least a half millimeter narrower.  That would place the EPH100's (assuming equivalently compressible tips) just at my threshold.  I reckon that means they'll either be comfortable to start, or close enough that I should be able to adapt over time =).

After reaching out to Putente for some extra measurements, we've learned nozzles of the EPH-100's are 6.5mm as well using a caliper, so the CC51 nozzles are measured to be identical from one source, though joker's previous tip observation would suggest the EPH nozzles are slightly smaller.  Putente also measured the smallest stock flange of the PH-100's to be 10 mm installed and uncompressed, and approximately 8mm compressed with calipers. Hopefully that serves as useful info for anyone else shopping with small canals in mind =)!

Thanks again to everyone for helping to nail this down!

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #7,603 of 16,931
Well, I was excited when I received my pair of re272s today. That excitement was short-lived however. The left channel is completely dead, no sound at all.

I would exchange the re272s but this is my second hifiman product that was defective out of the box. I suppose I'm just lucky like that but I don't think I will chance it again.

Oh well, maybe it's for the better. I was looking for something to compliment my dba02s and now have my eyes on the eph100s.

*edit* - I wasn't using the right adapter. I retract my statement about the build quality.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #7,604 of 16,931
Quote:
Well, I was excited when I received my pair of re272s today. That excitement was short-lived however. The left channel is completely dead, no sound at all.
I would exchange the re272s but this is my second hifiman product that was defective out of the box. I suppose I'm just lucky like that but I don't think I will chance it again.
Oh well, maybe it's for the better. I was looking for something to compliment my dba02s and now have my eyes on the eph100s.

Be sure to check the cable you're using.
If you're using the balanced cable it will mean that there will only be sound from one channel.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #7,605 of 16,931
Quote:

The problem is that I'm always working on something else, not sitting here twiddling my thumbs. Currently the B&W P3, FAD Heaven S and C, and re-vising the RE262. The TF10 thing has become sort of a running joke but really I'd much rather put up reviews of newer gear than something that's got a 500 page impression thread. I did promise I'd work on it shortly after the FitEar review and I plan to stick to that.

That's cool, having not read through the thread comments, I thought I was the lone voice in the wilderness. Seems there's quite a story behind this ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back