Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #7,232 of 16,931
Fantastic Reviews!!   Both are dead on.   LOL, I called the GR99 right on, in my " Guess post"...I missed the GR02 tho, I rated it a little higher at 7.8,  But 7.6 is still good.  I still like them better then the 06, I think the " Fun Factor" is what does it for me.  Both of these are at the Top of the heap for " Budget-under $50"...You have to have both, IMO...They both are very close to each other, but the small difference from each other makes both needed in your collection.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #7,233 of 16,931
Quote:
Quote:
then, i'd be more specific. taken as a whole package: comfort, fit, build, versatility, maybe even isolation, and specially the sound, etc (you get the idea), are the differences noticiable to be considered an upgrade.

ps: you seem to like the SHE3580...
wink.gif

Still very much a personal question - i.e. are you willing to pay double for slight gains here and there? The GR99 doesn't really have any flaws - it's built well, comes with a bunch of tips, doesn't have much cable noise when worn cable-up, and is one of the best-sounding earphones you'll find under $30. The housing size is a little above average so they might not be great for those with small ears and they don't come with quite as many tips as the GR02 and higher-end VSonics but overall they are a great value. I'll try and have the review up tonight, which may help.

definitely helped!! thanks 
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #7,234 of 16,931
Quote:
For the A161 I wouldn't expect any change. Sibilance probably means you're not getting a very good seal - I don't much like single-flanges on those but the bi-flanges and triples don't really give me much sibilance. I never got to test the EPH-100 pre-burn-in (it was a loan) so you'll have to check on that in the EPH-100 thread. The EPH-100 will remain pretty bassy compared to the RE0 or A161. 

I had the opportunity to do more rigorous listening tests over the weekend with the A161p, the Re-ZERO and the EPH-100.  The end result is that they are all being sent back and I will have to continue my quest for the right IEM.  I'd love any input and suggestions from all the experts here to help guide my search.
  1. A161p - Harsh treble did this one in for me quickly.  As joker suggested, I tried various flanges to get a good seal.  The double flanges from the Re-Zero provide a good seal for me, but even these could not tame the top.  Bass was a bit lacking but not that bad.  I didn't really evaluate the mid range much.  I am very sensitive to harsh treble so this pair is a big no.  I do love extended treble response that is open and sparkles.  This can be obtained.
  2. EPH-100 - The treble on this is much better than the A161p's with no harsh qualities.  I did feel these were quite U or V shaped with some odd tubular type sound in the mid's.  It was the bass that tossed these out for me.  I do like bass but the quantity of bass was just too much and really interfered with some music.  Having listened to my wife's Klipsch S4's I'd say these have similar bass levels but much better low bass extension and maybe somewhat better control.  I think the S4's have a bit too much bass too plus rolled off treble and sound like I'm listening to my music in a limited box.
  3. RE-Zero - These were nearly the pick as they are quite a nicely balanced IEM.  They don't have a lot of bass but have good extension and respond to a little EQ well.  Treble on these is wonderful.  It's the lower mids/high bass that finally got it into trouble.  I found a lack of warmth and weight to mids, especially male vocals.  The worst sounded tinny and recessed.  I can't tell if there is a peak in the mid's or if it's a lack of supporting upper bass.  It just lacks the fullness I require.  I could find no EQ settings on my Ipod or my computer (which is very limited) to compensate for this issue and thus they must go back.

So it appears I'm looking for an IEM with the treble qualities of the RE-Zero and more support/fullness/warmth/weight in the high bass/low mids.  I wouldn't mind a little more bass overall but that can also be achieved with a little EQ.  Any advice on a likely candidate? 

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #7,236 of 16,931
some flying words i have heard that says the new tdk eb950 are good .

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #7,237 of 16,931
@joker

I got FI-BA-SB. I do like the sound signature. Though it's not as balanced as e-Q5 but the presentation is lively with good instrument separation, depth and imaging. Bass is considerably much more and the warmth too.

Which IEM is closest sounding to FI-BA-SB (excluding other Final Audio Designs) ?

How much FI-BA-SB differs from FI-BA-SS ? I'd be much less likely to spend $1000 on a single IEM over slight updgrade.

What would you suggest as an upgrade over FI-BA-SB (looking for better instrument separation, imaging and 3d soundstage) ? UM3X R or SM3 V2 ? I read contrary opinions to these, almost everyone favoring UM3X over SM3 V2.

Westone 4R can be another good alternative over both ?

Which are your favorite genres and artists you listen during review process ?

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #7,238 of 16,931
Quote:
 I had the opportunity to do more rigorous listening tests over the weekend with the A161p, the Re-ZERO and the EPH-100.  The end result is that they are all being sent back and I will have to continue my quest for the right IEM.  I'd love any input and suggestions from all the experts here to help guide my search.
  1. A161p - Harsh treble did this one in for me quickly.  As joker suggested, I tried various flanges to get a good seal.  The double flanges from the Re-Zero provide a good seal for me, but even these could not tame the top.  Bass was a bit lacking but not that bad.  I didn't really evaluate the mid range much.  I am very sensitive to harsh treble so this pair is a big no.  I do love extended treble response that is open and sparkles.  This can be obtained.
  2. EPH-100 - The treble on this is much better than the A161p's with no harsh qualities.  I did feel these were quite U or V shaped with some odd tubular type sound in the mid's.  It was the bass that tossed these out for me.  I do like bass but the quantity of bass was just too much and really interfered with some music.  Having listened to my wife's Klipsch S4's I'd say these have similar bass levels but much better low bass extension and maybe somewhat better control.  I think the S4's have a bit too much bass too plus rolled off treble and sound like I'm listening to my music in a limited box.
  3. RE-Zero - These were nearly the pick as they are quite a nicely balanced IEM.  They don't have a lot of bass but have good extension and respond to a little EQ well.  Treble on these is wonderful.  It's the lower mids/high bass that finally got it into trouble.  I found a lack of warmth and weight to mids, especially male vocals.  The worst sounded tinny and recessed.  I can't tell if there is a peak in the mid's or if it's a lack of supporting upper bass.  It just lacks the fullness I require.  I could find no EQ settings on my Ipod or my computer (which is very limited) to compensate for this issue and thus they must go back.

So it appears I'm looking for an IEM with the treble qualities of the RE-Zero and more support/fullness/warmth/weight in the high bass/low mids.  I wouldn't mind a little more bass overall but that can also be achieved with a little EQ.  Any advice on a likely candidate? 

I didn't find A161P's high end to be sparkly enough sounding offensive. I was using medium sized Sony hybrids.

Agree that RE-0 is dry sounding and lacks weight & warmth in mids.

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #7,239 of 16,931
Quote:
I didn't find A161P's high end to be sparkly enough sounding offensive. I was using medium sized Sony hybrids.

Agree that RE-0 is dry sounding and lacks weight & warmth in mids.

Agreed about the A161, I quite like their sound and didn't find their treble to be harsh. Probably all comes down to the seal. Since it's in your signature, how did you find the A161 compared to the JVC FXT90?

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #7,240 of 16,931
Quote:

Agreed about the A161, I quite like their sound and didn't find their treble to be harsh. Probably all comes down to the seal. Since it's in your signature, how did you find the A161 compared to the JVC FXT90?

I got quite a good seal with flanges from the RE-Zero but that made no difference.  I think I tried every flange that came with the A161p's but also heard no real difference to the treble character.  Certain guitar riffs were painful as was Sting's S's on many tracks.  Perhaps I just got a bad set, or I'm just overly sensitive to those frequencies.  It's all good data for further searching.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #7,241 of 16,931
Quote:
I got quite a good seal with flanges from the RE-Zero but that made no difference.  I think I tried every flange that came with the A161p's but also heard no real difference to the treble character.  Certain guitar riffs were painful as was Sting's S's on many tracks.  Perhaps I just got a bad set, or I'm just overly sensitive to those frequencies.  It's all good data for further searching.

Yeah, please continue to post impressions from your search, very useful data indeed.

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #7,242 of 16,931
Quote:
maan , those gr99 are looking like my old forgotten denon ahc-551 . i like this gr99 . orthodox big barrel . i like it dark , but is the highs better then the soundmagic e30 ?

Probably not better, but not worse. If you like your highs more prominent like the E10 I would go for one of the other VSonics but for a fairly smooth and competent treble presentation the GR99 works rather well. It's got a very realistic note presentation for an entry-level set, makes sets like the JVC FX40 sound 'off'. Even the pricier Xears set I tested against it (XR120ProII) had too short of a note decay in the treble compared to the VSonics. 

Quote:
Great reviews, ljokerl! VSONIC keeps impressing, even in the lower range... 
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I am getting tired of gushing over them 
tongue.gif

Quote:
Fantastic Reviews!!   Both are dead on.   LOL, I called the GR99 right on, in my " Guess post"...I missed the GR02 tho, I rated it a little higher at 7.8,  But 7.6 is still good.  I still like them better then the 06, I think the " Fun Factor" is what does it for me.  Both of these are at the Top of the heap for " Budget-under $50"...You have to have both, IMO...They both are very close to each other, but the small difference from each other makes both needed in your collection.

If only the GR02 had a touch less bass bleed and slightly smoother treble, it would be almost impossible to fault. Then again, that would make a lot harder on some of the other options in the <$100 bracket.

Quote:
definitely helped!! thanks 
beerchug.gif

Great!

Quote:

RE262

Quote:
I'm wondering how the RE262, GR07, and JVC FXT90 compare to each other. I haven't had the chance to listen to any of them, so any insight is appreciated!

This has been asked before in various combinations. The GR07 is the flattest and most accurate, with a wide soundstage that's somewhat lacking in depth, great bass extension, and good treble reach. The RE262 is warmer, somewhat mid-centric, with comparatively laid-back treble. The FXT90 is more aggressive across the spectrum, with the most mid-bass of the three and the most forward presentation. 

Quote:
@joker

I got FI-BA-SB. I do like the sound signature. Though it's not as balanced as e-Q5 but the presentation is lively with good instrument separation, depth and imaging. Bass is considerably much more and the warmth too.

Which IEM is closest sounding to FI-BA-SB (excluding other Final Audio Designs) ?

How much FI-BA-SB differs from FI-BA-SS ? I'd be much less likely to spend $1000 on a single IEM over slight updgrade.

What would you suggest as an upgrade over FI-BA-SB (looking for better instrument separation, imaging and 3d soundstage) ? UM3X R or SM3 V2 ? I read contrary opinions to these, almost everyone favoring UM3X over SM3 V2.

Westone 4R can be another good alternative over both ?

Which are your favorite genres and artists you listen during review process ?

That's a lot of questions. I haven't heard the SS in a very long time and I haven't even finished reviewing the SB yet so I don't have a whole lot of recommendations to make. It's safe to say you will not find anything that sounds like Final Audio in the Earsonics or Westone lineups, though they all have good instrument separation. The SB has decent depth but its soundstage just isn't very large - the W4 and SM3 won't have any trouble beating it there. However, they will sound thicker and warmer. Also, I've never heard the SM3 V2. 

I listen to a variety of music but also have a set list of two dozen lossless test tracks I use with every IEM I listen to, which include everything from death metal to classical to electropop. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #7,243 of 16,931
Quote:

Sound signature is more balanced but much more analytical.  It's the most resolving and detailed universal I've ever heard even over the k3003 being mostly on par w/ my customs give or take here and there.  If you have great recordings go for it.  If you listen to poorly mastered stuff on mp3s forget about it.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #7,244 of 16,931
Quote:

FXT90 is good at soundstage, timbre, instrument separation and imaging. But, for me, the mid bass hump is fairly noticeable and kind of annoying in certain tracks.

Except for shallow depth perception in soundstage, I prefer A161 over FXT90. Good at resolving complex passages. It's as musical as FXT90 without the annoying mid bass hump.

I'd suggest to try both and pick the one you like more. It comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer A161 in the price range.

Quote:

Narrow nozzle, thick flanges will dampen higher frequencies and accentuate lower ones.

Possibly the recordings are not of high quality.

Quote:
That's a lot of questions. I haven't heard the SS in a very long time and I haven't even finished reviewing the SB yet so I don't have a whole lot of recommendations to make. It's safe to say you will not find anything that sounds like Final Audio in the Earsonics or Westone lineups, though they all have good instrument separation. The SB has decent depth but its soundstage just isn't very large - the W4 and SM3 won't have any trouble beating it there. However, they will sound thicker and warmer. Also, I've never heard the SM3 V2. 

I listen to a variety of music but also have a set list of two dozen lossless test tracks I use with every IEM I listen to, which include everything from death metal to classical to electropop. 

Thanks for the reply. I am kind of confused about next upgrade. Don't want to go custom anytime soon. Will look out for more reviews in this thread and head fi before finalizing.

Quote:

Sound signature is more balanced but much more analytical.  It's the most resolving and detailed universal I've ever heard ever over the k3003 being mostly on par w/ my customs give or take here and there.  If you have great recordings go for it.  If you listen to poorly mastered stuff on mp3s forget about it.

Is it the sound signature that far off from Heaven S (FI-BA-SB) ? I'd see if I can get to have a demo first. Thanks for your opinion. I mostly listen to 320kbps mp3 and gradually shifting to FLACs (mostly from bandcamp).

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #7,245 of 16,931
If anyone is interested in transforming a Vsonic GR06 or perhaps any in-ear with maybe not the most articulate treble/midrange I strongly suggest using the plug-in TB EZQ with J River media player, and while you are at it us the built it crossfeed just called Headphones.
The change is like going from 64 kbps mp3 to flac with the switch of a button. Turning the little dot all the way to the right and slightly under the line means a jump in clarity, detail, soundstage and imaging so great it turns this OK sounding in-ear to something absolutely spectacular, and I'm not even exaggerating. I praised the CKM500 as probably the best sounding in-ear at that price. Now this thing sound better.
You will not regret it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back