Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #7,202 of 16,931
Quote:
Which would you choose between EX1000 and W4?
Thank you.

Personally? The EX1000 - it suits my preferences better and is a bit more interesting (in terms of how it fits into my collection) than the W4.

Quote:
Thanks ljokerl for the great review!! It's explicit, and it helps me know each product clearly and efficiently.

You're welcome 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Great post! This makes it easier yet harder (more info haha) to choose a good heaphones now.

Thanks, glad it's useful. The purpose of the thread was to help IEM buyers make educated decisions. Never intended to replace the hours of research you have to do when picking out a product 
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #7,203 of 16,931
Quote:
As luck would have it, the one pair with the shortest return period arrived first (A161p).  I can't believe it arrived in only 2 days.  I've run it for about 2 days now but couldn't help listening to them right out of the box.  I'm a newbie to IEM's so I need to work with the tips to find one that seals well for both ears.  Even so, I was very impressed with the clear reference quality of these compared to the Klipsch S4 my wife has.  The top end is clear with far less sibilance than the S4's.  The mids are great and the bass does have good extension.  I'm concerned with overall bass levels, but will hold off on that item until I work with the tips for a better seal.  I won't get much burn in time on the other two when they arrive but hope I can do a decent comparison before my 7 day period on the A161p expires.  I'll post my results early next week.

The RE-ZERO's arrived yesterday.  I couldn't help but take a quick listen and can already tell they are fairly different from the A161p (guessing a lot of that is the dynamic vs BA).  Hopefully the Yamaha's will show up today and after a bit of a break in for each I can what I've got.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #7,205 of 16,931
Joker, what qualitative differences in sound should I expect from a sufficent burn in period for your typical dynaimc and BA IEM's?  I've heard the BA's don't require as much burn in as dynamics.  I've got all three of my contenders now (A161p, RE-ZERO and EPH-100).  I'm concerned by the sibilance of the A161p and the slightly overwhelming bass of the EPH-100.  Not sure either will change with enough time.  Gut feel says I'll end up wanting something between the RE-ZERO nad EPH-100, or an RE-ZERO with a bit more bass or an EPH-100 with a big less.  I will withhold final opinion until I've sat down with them after at last a few days break in and do a closer evaluation, but thought I'd ask what differences I may hear.

Jun 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #7,206 of 16,931
Quote:
The RE-ZERO's arrived yesterday.  I couldn't help but take a quick listen and can already tell they are fairly different from the A161p (guessing a lot of that is the dynamic vs BA).  Hopefully the Yamaha's will show up today and after a bit of a break in for each I can what I've got.

You should have a good time comparing the three. Balance-wise the A161P should fall somewhere between the Yamahas and HiFiMan but it's armature-based so it will still differ from both.

Quote:
Hi ljokerl, could you do a quick compare of the FXT90 vs. the HiSoundAudio Crystal and the MTPC, including the treble and the aggressiveness of each?  Thanks!

MTPC will have the most bass, followed by the FXT90 and then the Crystal. Crystal has leanest response - the other two are more fleshed out. It also has the most recessed mids - the FXT90 has upfront mids and the MTPC isn't too far behind. Treble-wise the MTPC is probably the smoothest and the FXT90 the most sparkly and energetic, with the HiSounds not far behind. This is going off memory for the MTPC since I haven't heard them in quite some time. 

Quote:
Joker, what qualitative differences in sound should I expect from a sufficent burn in period for your typical dynaimc and BA IEM's?  I've heard the BA's don't require as much burn in as dynamics.  I've got all three of my contenders now (A161p, RE-ZERO and EPH-100).  I'm concerned by the sibilance of the A161p and the slightly overwhelming bass of the EPH-100.  Not sure either will change with enough time.  Gut feel says I'll end up wanting something between the RE-ZERO nad EPH-100, or an RE-ZERO with a bit more bass or an EPH-100 with a big less.  I will withhold final opinion until I've sat down with them after at last a few days break in and do a closer evaluation, but thought I'd ask what differences I may hear.

For the A161 I wouldn't expect any change. Sibilance probably means you're not getting a very good seal - I don't much like single-flanges on those but the bi-flanges and triples don't really give me much sibilance. I never got to test the EPH-100 pre-burn-in (it was a loan) so you'll have to check on that in the EPH-100 thread. The EPH-100 will remain pretty bassy compared to the RE0 or A161. 

Jun 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #7,207 of 16,931
Joker: Your SE-3 kind of parallels my own SE-5 experience, with the exception of bass sluggishness and laid back sound. Bass weight is a bit more than GR07 (w/ the new MEElec tips, thanks again), but in a good way - low bass and subbass, it's also far more solid, tangible and slightly faster. I think this is the only armature that I can say beats best dynamic drivers in bass quality. Not a tinge warmer than "modernized" GR07, zero sibilance. Sound is far more intimate.

It's noticeably brighter than GR07 but actually due to the infinite extension, like RE272, but better still. Detailing and soundstaging is not comparable in any way. As I've said, nanodetail and pinpoint perfect imaging. Distance is very similar to GR07's.

My own pair is being refitted using new impressions. It seems that the old ones were inaccurate, which caused some seal and major comfort problems.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #7,208 of 16,931
Quote:

Your SE5 has more treble and bass than the GR07?  That worries me a bit.  Starting to sound U shaped....

Also starting to remind me of the different impressions of the ES5.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #7,210 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker: Your SE-3 kind of parallels my own SE-5 experience, with the exception of bass sluggishness and laid back sound. Bass weight is a bit more than GR07 (w/ the new MEElec tips, thanks again), but in a good way - low bass and subbass, it's also far more solid, tangible and slightly faster. I think this is the only armature that I can say beats best dynamic drivers in bass quality. Not a tinge warmer than "modernized" GR07, zero sibilance. Sound is far more intimate.

It's noticeably brighter than GR07 but actually due to the infinite extension, like RE272, but better still. Detailing and soundstaging is not comparable in any way. As I've said, nanodetail and pinpoint perfect imaging. Distance is very similar to GR07's.

My own pair is being refitted using new impressions. It seems that the old ones were inaccurate, which caused some seal and major comfort problems.

It seems that bass control/resolution and treble extension are two things that would be design targets when adding two more crossovers to the 3-way.
Quote:
how about AKG K3003 vs Fitear To Go 334 :D , can u give me some impression :D

They don't really sound anything alike. The MH334 has more controlled bass, more forward & transparent mids, slightly better clarity, smoother treble, and darker tone. The K3003 is bassier but also more boomy, has less even bass-midrange balance, and is less smooth up through the treble (and quite a bit brighter except with the bass filter).

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #7,212 of 16,931
i think the gr06 worth the price , cuz sound quality dont multiply , a turbile pro gold is not 4 times better then a gr06 , but is priced 4 times more .

Jun 10, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #7,213 of 16,931
Does anyone know of any IEMs that sound similar to the GR07, however is worn straight down? not a fan of the over-the-ear design at all.

Also if possible, maybe a bit bassier like the Sennheiser CX300s? 

I was looking at the Vsonic GR01 and Klipsch X10i, however I'm not sure how either sound, maybe leaning towards the X10i although people say it doesn't sound as good as the GR07/GR01 however has more bass despite costing a lot more, and the GR01 doesn't have much bass. 

Open to suggestions, any advice peoples?

Jun 10, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #7,214 of 16,931
why you are not looking at the triple fi from ultimate ears ? what happens when you tend to go up in the tree , it leans towards clarity , speed and accuracy , so the bass amount goes down , it dont boom , dont hit too hard cuz that affacts speed . triple fi dose good with 3 driver .

Jun 10, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #7,215 of 16,931
oh oh i forgot , bass like cx 300 ? monster , yes , yes , they got ample bass , try the turbine pros , like copper or gold .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back