Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #7,006 of 16,931
\

In addition to the neutrality, I think the X10 gains some extra extension in the highs and bass. From a Clip+, it feels claustrophobic and veiled in comparison to the TF10, but can match or surpass the bigger iem when run out of the XM6.

Improved treble extension is a typical result of adding impedance to a single-ba. The X10 already had bottomless bass, perhaps there's a reduced midbass (which is common as well) which allows a better sense of it's depth. Stock, veiled and claustrophobic is what they sound like. 

May 20, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #7,008 of 16,931
Quote:
Joker, were the Shure single flange you used with the UM3Xs the black/grey soft flex?

Yes, I really like those tips

May 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7,009 of 16,931
Do you have any tips to reduce the sibilance on the GR06? And also to increase the bass?

May 21, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #7,011 of 16,931
Joker, sorry for bothering with this stupid question.....
u gave dba-02 a sound score of 9.2, DDM u gave 8.9, examples, now currently im narrowing down my choices for upgrading from my brainwavz m1 to either maybe DDM or TDk BA200. Now i noe u havent review these yet, i just need a score for reference( if u havent, hopefully sum1 else who hav can help me out)
Also if i dun hav cash to buy Earsonic SM3 v2, is getting the TDK BA200 the next best thing ? assuming, are there almost similiar on how they potray their sound signature? all i noe SM3 are known for their dynamic level for a BA, so are these TDk's the same?

Thank you beforehand :)

May 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #7,012 of 16,931
Quote:
Do you have any tips to reduce the sibilance on the GR06? And also to increase the bass?

Play around with longer tips and different insertion angles, give it some time, maybe try an EQ cut around the 6k region and a bump in the bass. Whatever tricks people came up with for the GR07 should work on the GR06 - I haven't been following the GR07 thread.

Quote:
Hmmm, the tiny opening doesn't affect the sound of the phones?

And, for some phones you put your preferred tips as Shure grey flex, and for some Shure single flange. Are they the same thing?

Yeah, same thing. How the tip affects sound varies by phone but much of the time the differences are tiny and I end up using whatever gives me the best, most consistent seal.

Quote:
Joker, sorry for bothering with this stupid question.....
u gave dba-02 a sound score of 9.2, DDM u gave 8.9, examples, now currently im narrowing down my choices for upgrading from my brainwavz m1 to either maybe DDM or TDk BA200. Now i noe u havent review these yet, i just need a score for reference( if u havent, hopefully sum1 else who hav can help me out)
Also if i dun hav cash to buy Earsonic SM3 v2, is getting the TDK BA200 the next best thing ? assuming, are there almost similiar on how they potray their sound signature? all i noe SM3 are known for their dynamic level for a BA, so are these TDk's the same?

Thank you beforehand :)

Can't help there as I've never been near a functional BA200. 

May 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #7,014 of 16,931
hey jokerl in your opinion, which iem in the 100 dollar range is best for electro, dubstep, hip hop, jazz, and acoustic? btw I can purchase the turbine gold's for 130. 

oh and about what would you rate the Sunrise Xcap Impressive Edition on SQ

May 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #7,015 of 16,931
Added Astrotec AM-90

Quote:
(3A68) Astrotec AM-90

Reviewed May 2012

Details: One of the least expensive BA-based earphones on the market
Current Price: $44 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: est. $44)
Specs: Driver: BA | Imp: 25Ω | Sens: 109dB | Freq: N/A | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4mm | Preferred tips: Sony Hybrid, Stock silicone, Stock foam
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange (3 sizes) and triple-flange silicone tips, foam tips, and clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4.5/5) – Construction is solid, with all-metal housings and nozzle filters. Strain reliefs are flexible and the soft cable is above average in thickness and covered with a translucent sheath. It is one of the best cables I’ve seen in a while – quiet, flexible, and tangle-resistant
Isolation (4/5) – The tapered housings and inclusion of triple-flange and foam tips allow the AM-90 to isolate quite well
Microphonics (4/5) – Cable noise is low when worn cable-down and nearly nonexistent with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4.5/5) – The tapered housing design makes for one of the better straight-barrel form factors, with an elongated body that flares out gradually. The shells of the AM-90 are less likely to contact the outer ear than those of the Dunu Trident and narrower at the front than those of almost all other straight barrel earphones, allowing for a deeper seal. They might be a bit long for those with steeply-angled ear canals but for most they should be very comfortable

Sound (7.4/10) – The AM-90 is a smooth-sounding BA-based earphone that falls on the warmer side of things in terms of tone. It uses a Knowles SR (Siren) armature and – not surprisingly – doesn’t sound all that different from the SR-based MEElec A151. Both are some of the better such setups I’ve heard and the sonic differences between them are no greater than what one would instead anticipate from two revisions of the same product.

The sound signature of the AM-90, while slightly warm, is not unbalanced. Bass depth is decent enough – no match for dynamic-driver sets such as the id America Spark or VSonic GR99 but good for a single armature. Mid-bass impact is a hair lower than that of the A151 but control and detail are similarly good. The low end can be classified as punchy, but also not lacking in body and fullness for a BA-based earphone – seemingly a hallmark of the SR armature.

The midrange of the AM-90 is on the warm side but seems to be a bit more level compared to that of the A151. The AM-90 is a touch less mid-forward (but still more so than a Brainwavz M1, for example) and sounds fuller and smoother than the A151. The MEElec set is a bit thinner-sounding and also more dry but maintains clarity better on busy passages. The differences are small, however, and the two earphones are still far more similar to each other than they are to competing sets. Neither earphone has the crispness of a higher-end BA-based earphone and both lack the perception of added clarity that comes with emphasized treble.

The top end of the AM-90 is a touch more extended than that of the A151 and also less grainy but neither earphone can be recommended to fans of sparkly, prominent highs. Rather, the earphones are laid-back at the top and very, very smooth, doing a great job of cutting out harshness and sibilance. The VSonic GR06, for example, manages significantly better extension and energy at top but is also more fatiguing than the AM-90. Soundstage size, similarly, is not too impressive – the space is average and there’s not a whole lot of air compared to sets such as the GR06. However, as with the A151, the presentation is well-rounded, with some depth and height in addition to the width, good separation, and versatility in portraying intimacy as well as distance.

Value (10/10) – The sound signature of the AM-90 may be nothing new next to other entry-level, single-BA earphones but it is the most reasonably-priced – and one of the best-sounding - SR-based sets I’ve heard. In addition, Astrotec’s OEM expertise shows in the excellent design – the solid isolation, sturdy housings, outstanding cables, and comfortable form factor. For a value-oriented product the AM-90 is not stingy on accessories, either, with a very nice hard case and good-quality tips included to make them work even for first-time IEM users. They are remarkably easy to get a seal with compared even to the MEElec A151 and therefore make an excellent stepping-off point into BA-based monitors.

Pros: Well-balanced, slightly warm Knowles SR sound; good build quality; great cable; comfortable tapered design
Cons: N/A

Quote:
hey jokerl in your opinion, which iem in the 100 dollar range is best for electro, dubstep, hip hop, jazz, and acoustic? btw I can purchase the turbine gold's for 130. 

oh and about what would you rate the Sunrise Xcap Impressive Edition on SQ

It really depends on the sound signature you're looking for. The IE is an 8.4 on my scale.

May 22, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #7,016 of 16,931
Quote:
Added Astrotec AM-90

It really depends on the sound signature you're looking for. The IE is an 8.4 on my scale.

Thx Joker, just placed an order for the Astrotec, $43 sounds like a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back