Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 26, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #6,736 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, sorry to always bother you, but I'm really confused about what to get, the FXT90 or the EPH-100, how well do they stack against each other?

Also, what natural-signature (not neutral) IEM's would recommend at under 100$...
I'd like something that's un-fatigue-ing... perhaps a smooth sound signature but still has details...
would EPH-100 or FXT90 fit the bill?

They are a pretty even match but the EPH-100 is not as forward overall and especially in the treble. I don't think it is under $100 but the EPH-100 is not fatiguing (at least not next to an FXT90 or GR07) and definitely detailed. 

The FA Tandem would be the underdog recommendation, one of the least fatiguing earphones out there IMO.

Quote:
hi Joker,

as you can see on my signature, i've sold those iems and had settled down on the W4 which I am really impressed with the details especially on the midbass, i have an incoming sm3s from my parents..

in terms of highs details and quantity, does the sm3 have more than the um3x? i sold my um3x too because i needed some funds and also i already have the w4 and decided to have another signature so i won't be getting them again..

I just wanna make sure that the sm3s won't fail me

thanks!

I haven't heard either set in a very long time. The SM3 is not a bright earphone, I don't think it has as much treble as a W4, but the detail level should be on-par. I remember the SM3 being able to provide all of the detail of the W3 with none of the aggression.

Quote:
ljokerl, thank you so much for this hard work!
i can't start to describe how i appreciate it.
wonderful thread! :)
after going through your reviews i've narrowed my options for a new IEM to these:
Soundmagic e10
ID America Spark
Visang r03 \ Brainwavz M2

i was thinking you could help me pick just one...
i like strong bass but i prefer good mids and highs over a REALLY strong bass.
im listening mostly to metal and rock.
i currently have the Klipsch Image S4, and my main complaint is perhaps something
that others find good about it : the fit! .. i just find it too intrusive, reaching
too far inside my ear canal, and yet it doesnt hold very still there, not sitting very snug.
i love the sound of it, except for the little bit of harshness.
id love to have better mids and highs but i love the bass.
so i understand Visang r03 might offer better highs and mids and the Spark might sound similar to the Klipsch?
and when i start thinking about the Spark, im thinking... is it worth the extra $ over the Soundmagic E10??
also the E10 seems a little more comfortable the Spark.
thank you!!

The E10 is happier with a shallow fit than is the Spark or the M2. The Spark is definitely closest to the S4 in sound signature but better in performance - it never gets as harsh and the bass is more controlled. However, it does like a deeper fit than the E10 so I would probably advise against it. The R03 is somewhere in the middle in terms of fit dependency. Definitely no harshness there, though, and the bass is quite good. 

Quote:

Thank you very much Joker, specially on the build quality issue with Sunrise. I'm about to purchase XCITED but because of your response I think I've save some money.  

Really looking for some IEM that have same(or almost) sound signature with RE0. Ultimate Ears 600 perhaps?
I have Etymotic HF5(like it) but I'm longing for the air and treble that REO gaves me.  
Budget is not more than $100 and build quality is highly considered.

I have not heard the UE600. I don't think there is a good alternative to the RE0/RE-ZERO in the price range now that the original Xcape has been discontinued. You may have to just save up for the Sony EX600 or something on that level. 

Quote:
Hi ljokerl, could you compare the treble of the DBA-02 MkII to that of the FXT-90?  And overall, how do they compare?  I'm finding that the treble on the JVCs is a bit overwhelming at times, maybe a bit too aggressive.  Not sure if the Fischers are better in that regard, but thought I'd ask.  Thanks!

I would not go for a DBA-02 mkII if you found the FXT90 treble overwhelming, even occasionally. It might be more controlled and accurate in the lows and mids but it's definitely an aggressive earphone with unforgiving treble (though it is not as bright as the original DBA-02). The VSonic GR01 would be a better option IMO, or maybe even the Yamaha EPH-100.

Quote:
Hi, joker, I recently bought a pair of beyer's t5p, now when I listen to UM Miracle, I find vocals sounds veiled, is it normal? or my UM miracle is broken? How to check it? Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't heard the T5p so I can't comment on how they compare. The Miracle does not have forward mids so it could sound distant compared to some sets but I don't know about veiled. My FitEar ToGo MH334 has more forward and powerful mids with fantastic clarity but I still wouldn't quite call the Miracle veiled in comparison. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #6,737 of 16,931

Quote:

They are a pretty even match but the EPH-100 is not as forward overall and especially in the treble. I don't think it is under $100 but the EPH-100 is not fatiguing (at least not next to an FXT90 or GR07) and definitely detailed. 

The FA Tandem would be the underdog recommendation, one of the least fatiguing earphones out there IMO.

Ah... but the EPH-100 is under 100$ here 
wink.gif

I'm actually real interested to hear a dual-dynamic, but I already got a hot-treble earphone (looking at my CK10), so I'm looking for something more natural....
I guess my choice is clear... thx again Joker!

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #6,738 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:
Hi ljokerl, could you compare the treble of the DBA-02 MkII to that of the FXT-90?  And overall, how do they compare?  I'm finding that the treble on the JVCs is a bit overwhelming at times, maybe a bit too aggressive.  Not sure if the Fischers are better in that regard, but thought I'd ask.  Thanks!

I would not go for a DBA-02 mkII if you found the FXT90 treble overwhelming, even occasionally. It might be more controlled and accurate in the lows and mids but it's definitely an aggressive earphone with unforgiving treble (though it is not as bright as the original DBA-02). The VSonic GR01 would be a better option IMO, or maybe even the Yamaha EPH-100.

would the Shure Olives help here on the DBA-02 (either version)?

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #6,739 of 16,931
I have to say, EPH100 wasnt my favorite phone by any means, but it is a complete, absolute steal at under $100.
Quote:

wink.gif

I'm actually real interested to hear a dual-dynamic, but I already got a hot-treble earphone (looking at my CK10), so I'm looking for something more natural....

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #6,740 of 16,931
Good to see your opinion on the eph-100 joker 
wink_face.gif
. I have been through your reviews many times and they have led me through a slew of Meelec products which were all great for the price. I have been in the market for a new iem for mostly Drum n' Bass, Dubstep and IDM. More of the melodic liquid-funk type of stuff. I had been looking at the JVC HA-FXT90, Vsonic GR07 and recently the Yamaha eph-100.

As far as I can tell the JVC HA-FXT90 are usually described as being a very aggressive v-shaped signature. Many have described them as good for EDM but I'm not sure if their aggressive nature is right for me. The GR07 review you posted reminded me of my Superlux HD668B somewhat o.O which in my book is a very good thing. Lastly the most intriguing thing about the Yamaha eph-100 to me is what I have read about their layering and instrumental separation, as well as their bass depth and affinity for EDM. 

Now a big deciding factor is the Yamaha eph-100 is down the street from me for $129.99 tax free 
L3000.gif
 joker do you think I should just grab them or one of the former sets? I have to say the fotm craze have me fairly convinced these will be great. Maybe I should try them first and go GR07 if I don't like them? I'm confused 
confused_face_2.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #6,743 of 16,931

Quote:
wink_face.gif
. I have been through your reviews many times and they have led me through a slew of Meelec products which were all great for the price. I have been in the market for a new iem for mostly Drum n' Bass, Dubstep and IDM. More of the melodic liquid-funk type of stuff. I had been looking at the JVC HA-FXT90, Vsonic GR07 and recently the Yamaha eph-100.

As far as I can tell the JVC HA-FXT90 are usually described as being a very aggressive v-shaped signature. Many have described them as good for EDM but I'm not sure if their aggressive nature is right for me. The GR07 review you posted reminded me of my Superlux HD668B somewhat o.O which in my book is a very good thing. Lastly the most intriguing thing about the Yamaha eph-100 to me is what I have read about their layering and instrumental separation, as well as their bass depth and affinity for EDM. 

Now a big deciding factor is the Yamaha eph-100 is down the street from me for $129.99 tax free 
L3000.gif
 joker do you think I should just grab them or one of the former sets? I have to say the fotm craze have me fairly convinced these will be great. Maybe I should try them first and go GR07 if I don't like them? I'm confused 
confused_face_2.gif

if you like your HD668B I would recommend you to buy GR07. I have them both and made an a/b comparison just yesterday. They are comparable in sound signatures but GR07 is a fantastic earphone that sounds better in almost everything than HD668B and for my ears has greater musicality. In some aspects it comes close even to my pro900.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #6,744 of 16,931
Hi

Whilst I've pretty much decided on the westone 3 (possibly 4 or umx3!) for daily use, I was just wondering what sounded like the sennheiser ie7 but with better isolation and easier to fit?

Cheers.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #6,745 of 16,931
The downloadable score chart has been updated. Those who want to play with the numbers can download an excel version of the table at http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fdf0dse1tgqyetb courtesy of carfentanil

Quote:

wink.gif

If you're talking about the Tandem, it's pretty much the exact opposite of the CK10 in the treble. In fact, I wouldn't describe any of the dual dynamics I've heard as 'hot'. The FXT90 is probably closest though. 

Quote:

would the Shure Olives help here on the DBA-02 (either version)?

Not significantly, and I've always found silicone tips to sound better on the DBAs.

Quote:
I have to say, EPH100 wasnt my favorite phone by any means, but it is a complete, absolute steal at under $100.

Agreed, it's a fantastic phone that just falls slightly short of higher-end sets like the GR07 and RE272 here and there.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

L3000.gif
confused_face_2.gif

I agree that the GR07 is a great Superlux match. However, I would go for the EPH-100 if it's cheapest and most easily available - it's not going to sound similar to the HD668B as the GR07 would but it's not as aggressive as the FXT90 and definitely sounds good with electronic music. 

Quote:
Joker...thank you so much for the help!
would you say that the SoundMAGIC e10 sound
as good as the id America spark?
thank you so much...

Not quite, but close. The Spark is a little more crisp and resolving here and there and has better layering despite the smaller soundstage. 

Quote:
What can you say about the etymotic hf3 vs sennheiser hd25-1 II in terms of sound alone?

The HF3 is a lot flatter and more accurate. The HD25 is much bassier and has some treble accents. 

Quote:
Hi

Whilst I've pretty much decided on the westone 3 (possibly 4 or umx3!) for daily use, I was just wondering what sounded like the sennheiser ie7 but with better isolation and easier to fit?

Cheers.

The IE7 is pretty unique in being mid-forward and spacious but also quite bassy. There are a number of things that have 2 of those qualities but none I can think of that have all three. The SM3 is mid-forward, spacious, and bassy to an extent but it still doesn't sound much like an IE7 when you get down to it. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #6,747 of 16,931

Quote:
Do you know where I can find the ECCI 401s now? Lendmeurears doesn't stock them anymore.

???????????????
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECCI-PR401-/320723265391?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aac98a76f

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #6,749 of 16,931

Quote:

If you're talking about the Tandem, it's pretty much the exact opposite of the CK10 in the treble. In fact, I wouldn't describe any of the dual dynamics I've heard as 'hot'. The FXT90 is probably closest though. 

Ah... no, I was talking about the FXT90... 
wink.gif

I'll be getting the EPH-100, as even you think it's a steal under 100$,

Thanks for the suggestion Joker!

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6,750 of 16,931
Hi joker, 

I'm planning to buy a GR06 and want to know in what genres they are good, and if they sound good with Blues, Progressive Rock, etc. (Mostly Pink Floyd and Clapton)
Any suggestion for this genres ? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back