Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #6,496 of 16,931

Quote:
maybe you can find the answer here on joker's review of GR01 http://www.head-fi.org/t/603092/review-vsonic-gr01-a-gentlemans-twfk

Thanks for the link, but I've read it 
wink.gif

I was just hoping for a more detailed comparison from Joker

Quote:
ue 700 is awesome but you need to handle with some care , and about sound , it dont have awesome highs , good amount of bass , and the money goes into the awesome mids and sound stage , microphonics is low , isolation is good and if joker rates cc51 as 7.7 in sound quality , the ue 700 can easily be over 8.5/10 but build and the housing and the cable is in question as the stress reliever is nearly missing . over all its my best iem , just got it back from a cable repair and i will not wind it around my cowon j3 anymore .

Thanks for the impression, I do realize that the build quality on UE700 isn't that good, especially with no strain relief near the 3.5mm jack...
And yes, bad idea to wind cable around your player, I learned this when I was 10 years old when my old PS2 controller stick broke because I wrapped it everytime I finished using it

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #6,498 of 16,931
Which one would you recommend? The Shure SE215 or RE0?

I listen to all types of music (except country and rap/hip hop), but most of the time I listen to rock and metal, so guitars have to sound good. I also listen occasionally to classical, electronic and jazz. 

What type of sound do I want? I want a good soundstage, good vocals, great guitars, clarity... But at the same time, although I'm not a bass head, I don't want bass-anemic earphones and I want bass to be noticeable, but not muddy or too overpowering. I own a pair of Grado SR-80i, and I think they're too fatiguing and too bright. 

I've narrowed it down to the SE215 and the RE0, but I'm open to other options in that price range. Also, I want an earphone that lasts, so build quality is important. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #6,500 of 16,931

Quote:
FYI, apparently the FXT90s can be had for $99 in Canada, as FutureShop is selling them...

Good price...

Quote:
dont the gr06 already come with cable guides?

Yes, the Vsonic ones. Good point, I just don't like the fit of those. Phonak/MEElec ones are more comfortable for me.

Quote:
Thanks Joker. Could you compare GR06 vs GR04 Flagship? Aren't the GR04 Flagships more suitable and accurate (like Xcape) for guitar music? 

I've never heard the GR04 Flagship.

Quote:
Joker, how well do you rate the new UE700? How well do they fare against the GR01?

In terms of score it's about on-par with the q-JAYS and Phiaton PS200. The GR01 is a little warmer, more detailed, more textured, and has more realistic tone and timbre while the UE700 is brighter and more sparkly

Quote:
ue 700 is awesome but you need to handle with some care , and about sound , it dont have awesome highs , good amount of bass , and the money goes into the awesome mids and sound stage , microphonics is low , isolation is good and if joker rates cc51 as 7.7 in sound quality , the ue 700 can easily be over 8.5/10 but build and the housing and the cable is in question as the stress reliever is nearly missing . over all its my best iem , just got it back from a cable repair and i will not wind it around my cowon j3 anymore .

Yes, definitely over 8.5, especially the current Logitech version. 

Quote:
Which one would you recommend? The Shure SE215 or RE0?

I listen to all types of music (except country and rap/hip hop), but most of the time I listen to rock and metal, so guitars have to sound good. I also listen occasionally to classical, electronic and jazz. 

What type of sound do I want? I want a good soundstage, good vocals, great guitars, clarity... But at the same time, although I'm not a bass head, I don't want bass-anemic earphones and I want bass to be noticeable, but not muddy or too overpowering. I own a pair of Grado SR-80i, and I think they're too fatiguing and too bright. 

I've narrowed it down to the SE215 and the RE0, but I'm open to other options in that price range. Also, I want an earphone that lasts, so build quality is important. 

I think the SE215 is closer to what you want - more bass and less treble compared to the RE0, and they will last assuming the cable connectors are good on the current batch. You could also look at the HiSound Crystal although that has more treble compared to the SE215.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #6,502 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker, can you compare the Soundmagic pl50, MEElectronics a151 and Westone 1 briefly in terms of sound quality? I've heard the westone 1 a while ago and was really impressed by its mids.

It's been a while since I've heard the W1 and PL50 but the mids are the strong suit of both of those earphones. My lasting impression of the PL50 is that it's slightly mid-centric with a thick, smooth sound for a BA. The W1 was similarly balanced but more airy and more transparent, I really didn't have any major issues with it. The A151 has a bit more mid/upper bass compared to the PL50/W1 but not by much, and a bit less treble, though again not by much.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #6,503 of 16,931

Quote:

I think the SE215 is closer to what you want - more bass and less treble compared to the RE0, and they will last assuming the cable connectors are good on the current batch. You could also look at the HiSound Crystal although that has more treble compared to the SE215.

Thanks Joker. I read your review of the HiSound Crystal and the SE215 and apparently they sound pretty much alike. And the price is similar too. To you, what are the main differences between them? I'm not looking for bass monsters, I like bass to be noticeable but without sacrificing detail and the highs and mids. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #6,504 of 16,931
Wrong thread, sorry

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #6,505 of 16,931
ljokerl, 

What would be the most accurate and balanced universal irrespective of price?

I have previously owned the CK10, IE8, SE530, RE0, and currently own the RE262 (foam insert removed).

The CK10 was the most detailed, but the treble spike accentuates sibilance, and virtually all my recordings exhibited some sibilance with the CK10. From my limited experience, the only genre that worked with the CK10 was Trance.

I have been interested in the GR07, GR01, FXT90, and EX1000.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #6,507 of 16,931

Quote:
hi
I received my amp (arrow 4G) few days ago.  but I found it a little dark in comparison with ipod touch 3G.

You know it has a treble switch?

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #6,508 of 16,931

Quote:
ljokerl, 

What would be the most accurate and balanced universal irrespective of price?

I have previously owned the CK10, IE8, SE530, RE0, and currently own the RE262 (foam insert removed).

The CK10 was the most detailed, but the treble spike accentuates sibilance, and virtually all my recordings exhibited some sibilance with the CK10. From my limited experience, the only genre that worked with the CK10 was Trance.

I have been interested in the GR07, GR01, FXT90, and EX1000.

Definitely not the FXT90. Surprised you skipped Etys - I would say my ER4S properly inserted would be my pick.

Quote:
Hey, do you have any more to say about the GR06?  Or have you been focusing on other IEMs?

The GR06 is coming up in the queue but still a few spots back. Should know a lot more about it in a week
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #6,509 of 16,931
I recently bought what I believe to be either Sunrise Xcape IE or the v.2 and i'm looking for something more balance, not like how it feels all warm and stuffy in its sound. Looking for an IEM that has the bass impact like them with clarity and good treble. A above-average or higher soundstage, vocals, and good separation of sounds are also high on the list. My max budget is about $100. Any recommendations?

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #6,510 of 16,931

Quote:
You know it has a treble switch?

wink_face.gif

may be I was wrong on that point;[and maybe] because I expected more detail from what I waiting for it about 10 months
anyway ; I'm sorry
treble switch works great, and my preference treble is I (some times II )
I want to upgrade my IEM, already I'm waiting to hear news about vsonic gr08 and UE900 to compare them with westone 4R (I think that grado gr10 will be too bright for me
confused_face_2.gif
)
do you have any suggestion?
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back