Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 2, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #6,452 of 16,931

Quote:
I got my DBA-02 Mk I for €85 at release... FA aren't going to be tempting many people with that price...

Wasn't the Euro worth a lot more back then? The suggested retail price difference in USD is pretty small.

Apr 2, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6,453 of 16,931

Quote:
The M2 has less bass than consonance/Eterna but a bit more than CC51. It's a good all-rounder.

I wrote a separate Xcape IE review - you can probably find it using forum search. It's a great-sounding set but not bassier than the M2. Build quality is questionable.

Any chance you can get an id America Spark? It sounds a lot like the Consonance. Otherwise you can maybe look at some of the Xears stuff

AFAIK there are no id America and Xears here. I think the only brand I missed (in my 1st post) was Dunu
finally I decided and ordered M2, it should arrive in 2-3 days.
thanks

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #6,455 of 16,931
Hey there Joker, I have a question about the RE0. I asked you several weeks ago about what eartips I should use with the RE0, and you told me to wait until I received some dual and triple-flange tips that were coming in the mail. I received them, but unfortunately, the size I ordered is too small.

So what ear tips would you recommend for the RE0, to complement the neutral sound it is supposed to have. I saw your recommendations, but I do not have SoundMagic earphones, and I do not want to de-core the Shure olives (too unreliable and finicky).

Thank you. :)

Apr 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #6,456 of 16,931
i wonder if you like few kudos to the bass , if you like , then try some sony hybrids or philips rubber tips . they enhance bass , i have tried with my cw31 and ue 700 . hope they fit the re0 , i want one of those , but cant find one here . :frowning2:

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #6,458 of 16,931
A quick question if one may , after reviewing this great amount of IEM`s , 
would you say an armature pair is (generally/technically) better than a dynamic one (or vice versa) ? 
I am pondering between the FXT90/RE262's and the DBA02-MKII 's and I have no idea which path to choose really .

Many thanks ,

Danny .

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #6,459 of 16,931

Quote:
would you say an armature pair is better than a dynamic one (or vice versa) ? 
I am pondering between the FXT90/RE262's and the DBA02-MKII 's and I have no idea which path to choose really .

Many thanks ,

Danny .

I don't think anyone will say that one technology is technically superior to the other - everyone has their personal preferences.  It really comes down to the sound signature you want rather than the way the IEM creates the sound you hear.

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #6,460 of 16,931
man , its a thing no one can answer , some dynamics are really good like the rp-hje-900 and triple fi , sony ex 600 , sennh ie8 , chose any thing , but with dynamics , you may need to burn in . chose any and i dont think my pl50 is better then my e30 . ( pl is arm base e30 is dynamic ) . take you ears where your signature takes you .

Apr 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #6,461 of 16,931
Joker (or anyone else):  did you get a chance to compare the DBA-02 MK2 to the ER-4, or your rememberance of it -- can't remember if you have said if you have the ER-4?

I'm always wondering if there is a new universal available under $200 USD that beats the ER-4. Seems like there are some that come close, but debatable if any beat it.

BTW, I'm feeding my ER-4P with a Cowon J3, and it is getting all the power and EQ needed to make the ER-4P sound outstanding to me.

Apr 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #6,463 of 16,931
UE Triple Fi 10 is a triple BA.

Quote:
man , its a thing no one can answer , some dynamics are really good like the rp-hje-900 and triple fi , sony ex 600 , sennh ie8 , chose any thing , but with dynamics , you may need to burn in . chose any and i dont think my pl50 is better then my e30 . ( pl is arm base e30 is dynamic ) . take you ears where your signature takes you .

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6,464 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey there Joker, I have a question about the RE0. I asked you several weeks ago about what eartips I should use with the RE0, and you told me to wait until I received some dual and triple-flange tips that were coming in the mail. I received them, but unfortunately, the size I ordered is too small.

So what ear tips would you recommend for the RE0, to complement the neutral sound it is supposed to have. I saw your recommendations, but I do not have SoundMagic earphones, and I do not want to de-core the Shure olives (too unreliable and finicky).

Thank you. :)

I don't know what size tips you bought so what works for me may not work for you. You can actually buy bi-flanges in the same size as the Soundmagic ones from meelec (just look for M9 tips in clear). You could also get the whole M11+ variety pack and find the ones that work for you.

Quote:
Dear ljokerl, a quick question: which would you prefer, Dunu Trident, Xears TD4 or Xears 200Pro?

XE200, it's the most balanced based on comparisons to the TD-III rev2 (not sure if TD4 is exactly identical to TD-III).

Quote:
I don't think anyone will say that one technology is technically superior to the other - everyone has their personal preferences.  It really comes down to the sound signature you want rather than the way the IEM creates the sound you hear.

+1

Quote:
Joker (or anyone else):  did you get a chance to compare the DBA-02 MK2 to the ER-4, or your rememberance of it -- can't remember if you have said if you have the ER-4?

I'm always wondering if there is a new universal available under $200 USD that beats the ER-4. Seems like there are some that come close, but debatable if any beat it.

BTW, I'm feeding my ER-4P with a Cowon J3, and it is getting all the power and EQ needed to make the ER-4P sound outstanding to me.

I only have an ER-4S and it's definitely debatable whether the DBA-02 is really better. It does improve slightly on the usual Ety weakness of having a highly elliptical (much more width than depth) soundstage. The only analytical IEM I've heard that I clearly prefer to my ER-4S is the j-Phonic K2 SP.

Quote:
How long does it take you to review an IEM joker?

Depends on how in-depth my listening is - higher-end products usually get a lot more ear time. I would say 4-5 hours for a low-end product and up from there. I can spend dozens of hours with a top-shelf earphone to really get a feel for it but between responding to my threads, answering PMs, and other obligations even the 4-hour ones can easily turn into days or even weeks.

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #6,465 of 16,931
There is no "better or worse" unless you are looking for a very specific quality. I will say that my first pair of BA IEMs, the Klipsch X10, was a HUGE shock to my system, after having owned only dynamics: everything sounded almost sterile at first, the drivers are much faster and cleaner sounding than dynamics. But you can adjust to the sound, and some people prefer it to dynamics.

All of the IEMs you've listed tend to appeal to people with different sound preferences; if I were you, I would start off by buying some nice sounding budget IEMs like the Monoprice 8320 and Soundmagic PL50 to comapre the sounds of a dynamic and armature driver side by side and getting a baseline impression of different sound signatures and presentations.

Quote:
would you say an armature pair is (generally/technically) better than a dynamic one (or vice versa) ? 

Many thanks ,

Danny .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back