Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 8, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #6,211 of 16,931
Thanks a lot! You really are a great asset to this community. Coincidentally, the K2 and T15s were the models that jumped out at me after reading most of your OP. I'll probably try out the EX1000s, UM3X, and maybe the Ortofons though because stores that sell them have return policies. If none of them work out, I'll probably jump for the T15s or K2s.

I'm also going to try out the FXT90's just to see what the JVC signature sounds like. How do you think they compare?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #6,212 of 16,931
Joker, would you mind sharing a few of your personal favorite budget IEM's, something under 50$ and 100$ respectively?

Also, how about ECCI PR200 compared to the Soundmagic PL50, the bass quantity I mean

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #6,213 of 16,931

Quote:

Worse clarity, worse separation, but definitely lesser/no sibilance. I don't think the Aurvana 3 is a top-tier IEM or an upgrade to the GR07 but if sibilance is an issue with the VSonics, it might work better for you.

Thank you! How about the UE600 or SE215? Which has better detail,clarity, and less sibilance?
If I were to put a cable like this http://www.stereo.com.sg/store/product.php?cPath=568_569&products_id=1730 on the SE215,could it possibly improve detail,clarity, soundstage and bass?

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6,214 of 16,931

Quote:
Thank you! How about the UE600 or SE215? Which has better detail,clarity, and less sibilance?
If I were to put a cable like this http://www.stereo.com.sg/store/product.php?cPath=568_569&products_id=1730 on the SE215,could it possibly improve detail,clarity, soundstage and bass?

The GR07 is a complete upgrade to the SE215 in every aspect. 
If the sibilance on the GR07 bothers you so much, sell it and get the FXT90. It's just as good a deal as the GR07, without sibilance.

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #6,215 of 16,931

Quote:
The GR07 is a complete upgrade to the SE215 in every aspect. 
If the sibilance on the GR07 bothers you so much, sell it and get the FXT90. It's just as good a deal as the GR07, without sibilance.

I would,but the wearing style is straight down,which I don't fancy. :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6,218 of 16,931
As far as the spike on the GR07 goes, I've come to realize that it's a defining characteristic of it's overall sound. That spike is what gives so much life to the drums, cymbals, and male voices. It's either something you can live with or not. Also, the GR07 doesn't create sibilance. It exaggerates the heck out of it sometimes, but it's not completely to blame.

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #6,220 of 16,931
Just a note for those considering a possible reshell of the x10i.  Fisher will do it but you will still be stuck with the original cables as there is a crossover in them that can't be removed.  

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #6,221 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks a lot! You really are a great asset to this community. Coincidentally, the K2 and T15s were the models that jumped out at me after reading most of your OP. I'll probably try out the EX1000s, UM3X, and maybe the Ortofons though because stores that sell them have return policies. If none of them work out, I'll probably jump for the T15s or K2s.

I'm also going to try out the FXT90's just to see what the JVC signature sounds like. How do you think they compare?

Quite well, but they are also pretty far off the Ety signature so it's hard to say whether they'll be to your liking.

Quote:
Joker, would you mind sharing a few of your personal favorite budget IEM's, something under 50$ and 100$ respectively?

Also, how about ECCI PR200 compared to the Soundmagic PL50, the bass quantity I mean

If we are talking current models at full retail (non-sale) pricing, probably the Brainwavz M1 <$50 and Sunrise Xcape IE <$100 (for sound, at least - mine died after a while). PR200 is bassier than the PL50 but not as good overall. PR300 is much closer and still has decent bass.

Quote:
The GR07 is a complete upgrade to the SE215 in every aspect.  If the sibilance on the GR07 bothers you so much, sell it and get the FXT90. It's just as good a deal as the GR07, without sibilance.

+1. I think you'd be disappointed in many ways going from the GR07 to the SE215 even though the Shures will kill sibilance.

Quote:
Hey Joker, I'm looking for a IEM around 100-150 with earthshaking/hard hitting bass. So far the suggestions were hippo vb, atrios mg7, and ath-cks77. Which one should I get?

I have not heard the CKS77. Between the other two I'd take the MG7. Based on experience with the TFTA 1V, the TFTA 1XB might be worth looking at as well.

Quote:
Just a note for those considering a possible reshell of the x10i.  Fisher will do it but you will still be stuck with the original cables as there is a crossover in them that can't be removed.  

What is the crossover doing in a single-driver earphone?

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:12 AM Post #6,224 of 16,931
I too am a bit surprised at the X10 score though mine would probably only be 3-4 tenths lower.  Maybe it's a good/better unit or they do better with non Klipsch tips.  Not pairing well w/ the Klipsch tips would defeat the purpose of Klipsch phones for me personally.  Mine only lasted a few weeks before I got rid of them.  I couldn't find one they did as well or better than anything else in my inventory except maybe the Meelec M6s I keep around for cannon fodder.  The TF10 at the deal price blows it away on many levels and I wasn't their biggest fan either though for the deal price they are hard to argue against.  Comparing X10s to MD's is not the most appropriate apart from bass presence I'd say.  One is involving, emotional and romantic, the other pretty ho hum boring IME.  Really two different animals and the MD's should definitely be considered niche phones for specific genres.
Anywho, good work joker, keep it up.  Just came by to drop my pennies.  
beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #6,225 of 16,931
Are the compression flaws really noticeable on the ety hf5? Half of my files are 192kbps or lower.

But then I've heard from someone saying that the compression flaws mostly appear above 16khz, so its not quite noticeable on the hf5...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back