Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 23, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #6,076 of 16,931
He joker I just wanted to say you do a great job with IEM reviews and even though I just started posting here I have used your reviews over the past couple of years in helping me make some decisions on IEM purchases.  The review you did on the Aurvana 3 is the latest one I used in helping me decide to get a pair (even though I really didn't need them) and I must say I like them a bit more it seems than you do but your review is still almost the same as how I hear them, keep up the good work.

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #6,078 of 16,931

Quote:
Is the UM3X a better phone vs TF10?

Thank you

It depends really. If you want a more balanced and monitor like sound free of any significant frequency boost or dips, the UM3X is a better choice. If you want a more lively and energetic sound with a slight boost to the bass and treble, the UE TF.10 Pro is a better choice.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #6,079 of 16,931

Quote:
It depends really. If you want a more balanced and monitor like sound free of any significant frequency boost or dips, the UM3X is a better choice. If you want a more lively and energetic sound with a slight boost to the bass and treble, the UE TF.10 Pro is a better choice.

I have the TF10 and yes, they are energetic and enjoyable phones.
How do the UM3X compare with IE80 or IE8?

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #6,081 of 16,931

Quote:
 They're yet to be released - I read somwhere that they'll be released in March.

That's right, I wasn't sure of the release date and just put 'ebay' as the place they are likely to show up first.

Quote:
Dunu look nice, but they haven't broke hi-fi ground as far as reviews go. I'd probably be disappointed with a headphone if it didn't hit near a 7.5 to an 8

Yes, the draw here is the top-tier design/construction without paying hundreds of dollars. There are two higher-end Dunu models that I haven't heard, though. 

Quote:
He joker I just wanted to say you do a great job with IEM reviews and even though I just started posting here I have used your reviews over the past couple of years in helping me make some decisions on IEM purchases.  The review you did on the Aurvana 3 is the latest one I used in helping me decide to get a pair (even though I really didn't need them) and I must say I like them a bit more it seems than you do but your review is still almost the same as how I hear them, keep up the good work.

Thanks, glad you're happy with the Aurvanas!

Quote:

+1 - very different sound signatures so it's an apples/oranges comparison. This applies to the IE8 as well - there are some who would prefer it over the TF10 and UM3X regardless of technical merit. It has the widest headstage and most bass impact of the three while maintaining excellent clarity when the bass isn't getting in the way.

Quote:
Hi joker amazing review, would you recommend Brainwavz B2?

Sure, as far as I know it's a Fischer DBA-02 mk I at 2/3 the price. Don't see what's not to like there
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #6,082 of 16,931
Joker,
in your MEElec M6 review, you said the memory wire is annoying, but could be dealt with with a little knifework, you mean cutting off the memory wire correct?

Also, how does Soundmagic PL50 bass sound compared to Visang R03, more or less?

Feb 24, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #6,083 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker,
in your MEElec M6 review, you said the memory wire is annoying, but could be dealt with with a little knifework, you mean cutting off the memory wire correct?

Also, how does Soundmagic PL50 bass sound compared to Visang R03, more or less?

Yes, I removed it on my pair. Just cut back the rubber sleeving and pulled out the wire itself. However, my M6 still had the copper memory wire, which was very stiff. I don't think the newer one (stainless steel) is as problematic.

The PL50 has significantly less bass than an R03.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #6,084 of 16,931
Nice review on the DUNU, Joker. Right on the mark.

Quote:
Dunu look nice, but they haven't broke hi-fi ground as far as reviews go. I'd probably be disappointed with a headphone if it didn't hit near a 7.5 to an 8

X2. To talk about silver cabling and such but they still lack clarity and transparency is a disappointment. A bit different sounding than the similar scoring Trident and Hephaes but not as enjoyable. Hope they know what their doing and not that they think the phones sound better than they do. Shame that I open up a four year old consumer in-ears model(the Maxell CN40 released in 2008) and out of the package it sounds better than burned in Crater/Hawkeye. Six models in already and they need to shows us they can make a really good sounding phone. The market is even tougher than when the first four came out so they are going to have to step up the performance side to match up more with the presentation/build/accessories side.

Feb 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #6,085 of 16,931

Quote:
Nice review on the DUNU, Joker. Right on the mark.

X2. To talk about silver cabling and such but they still lack clarity and transparency is a disappointment. A bit different sounding than the similar scoring Trident and Hephaes but not as enjoyable. Hope they know what their doing and not that they think the phones sound better than they do. Shame that I open up a four year old consumer in-ears model(the Maxell CN40 released in 2008) and out of the package it sounds better than burned in Crater/Hawkeye. Six models in already and they need to shows us they can make a really good sounding phone. The market is even tougher than when the first four came out so they are going to have to step up the performance side to match up more with the presentation/build/accessories side.

Thanks, and agreed. The Trident is still the best value of the bunch for me - fun signature + very good technical proficiency for the money, solid build, isolates well. Very easy to recommend.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #6,087 of 16,931
First off, just want to thank Joker for keeping such an up to date, and thorough guide for all of us.

I've been lurking around for a long time, and settled on the TS02's for my first "serious" pair of earbuds. They've broken, and I'm looking to replace them so I don't have to use the stock apple earbuds anymore 
triportsad.gif

I listen to everything, save rock/bass-heavy tracks. In short, tight, but present bass, with clear lush mids and trebles that aren't harsh. I'm not driving the phones with anything, and the source is either my laptop or my iPhone4.

I'm narrowed it down to:
MDR-EX600 not a fan of OTE
FXT90
FX500 - hints of muddled bass
CKM99 - prone to sibilant highs
CK90PRO - source dependant, so might not be great to pair with an iPhone
RE262

So far, I'm leaning towards the CKM99 or FX500.

Any thoughts or further suggestions? Thanks!

Feb 25, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #6,088 of 16,931

Quote:
First off, just want to thank Joker for keeping such an up to date, and thorough guide for all of us.

I've been lurking around for a long time, and settled on the TS02's for my first "serious" pair of earbuds. They've broken, and I'm looking to replace them so I don't have to use the stock apple earbuds anymore 
triportsad.gif

I listen to everything, save rock/bass-heavy tracks. In short, tight, but present bass, with clear lush mids and trebles that aren't harsh. I'm not driving the phones with anything, and the source is either my laptop or my iPhone4.

I'm narrowed it down to:
MDR-EX600 not a fan of OTE
FXT90
FX500 - hints of muddled bass
CKM99 - prone to sibilant highs
CK90PRO - source dependant, so might not be great to pair with an iPhone
RE262

So far, I'm leaning towards the CKM99 or FX500.

Any thoughts or further suggestions? Thanks!

While the CKM99 and FX500 are the closest to your TS02 in terms of balance, I wouldn't call either smooth in the highs and the FX500 doesn't have particularly tight bass or very lush mids. Of course depending on your personal tolerances they might be perfectly acceptable (and if you were happy with the TS02, they probably will be) but the FXT90 strikes me as a safer choice on all three counts. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #6,089 of 16,931
Thanks! Just read 20 pages of the FXT90 thread and they seem to be the right ones for me.

Just two more quick questions:

- How would you compare the soundstage of the FXT90 to my previous TS02

- How does the bass compare as well? I found that I actually preferred to EQ down the bass as the bass became a bit overpowering at times

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #6,090 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks! Just read 20 pages of the FXT90 thread and they seem to be the right ones for me.

Just two more quick questions:

- How would you compare the soundstage of the FXT90 to my previous TS02

- How does the bass compare as well? I found that I actually preferred to EQ down the bass as the bass became a bit overpowering at times

I have FXT90 and found the bass balanced and not overpowering. Using silicone tips decreases the bass and brings out more treble. Using Comply's does the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back