Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 30, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #5,806 of 16,931
What do you recommend for a sports earpiece? Anything under $50 would be great 

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #5,809 of 16,931
Hey,

I figured I'd put my thanks in considering this thread and the portable headphone thread has guided me through some amazing buys. I was wondering Joker, if you were thinking about reviewing the brainwavz m4. I got them on sale on a whim because they were half off on amazon a few weeks ago, but realized that they were one of the few if any brainwavz you hadn't reviewed and was curious if there was a reason? If you have a chance I'd definitely suggest taking a listen to them, I personally think they are very good for their price range.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5,810 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:

The M6 are a great if not the best bang for buck headphones that are good for the gym. I will say though I hated the memory wire, which put me off them in the end. I would suggest looking at the new version of the m6 the sports-fi S6 could have a little better memory wire (don't quote me on it) also here is a website that might be useful to use:

http://www.workoutheadphones.org/category/earbuds-2/

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #5,811 of 16,931
Just to share that I recently discovered that the K2 is a pair highly resolving IEMs. They have shown me how good an MP3 player is the Tascam DR2d. It has plenty of drive and sounds way better than my Nokia N82 and SansaFuzeRB3.10.
Tascam DR2d>>>N82>Fuze.
Quote:
A solid audio chain or at the very least a decent dedicated audio player or external DAC will make the j-phonics shine.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #5,812 of 16,931

Quote:

Availability be damned, they're very capable phones that boast a sound to match it's top notch build quality & smooth, refined look.  I recently snagged them from Amazon.jp (using the Tenso.com shipping service) for ~$200 shipped.. an excellent value & one that rivals the GR07's wallet friendliness too.

I'm a fan of the e-Q5 but it does come down to availability. If they were consistently available worldwide for ~$200 shipped (with after-sale support) they would be much more popular.. 

Quote:

I would go for the M6 as well, especially at current <$20 prices. Easy to replace if something happens to it. Failing that, maybe the Soundmagic E30 though I am less confident in it surviving sweat. It does sound better than the M6 but in a gym setting I am not sure the difference will be as appreciable as with home listening. 

Quote:
i just want to say i love reading this thread.  its a great resource.

Thanks, glad to hear it!

Quote:
Hey,

I figured I'd put my thanks in considering this thread and the portable headphone thread has guided me through some amazing buys. I was wondering Joker, if you were thinking about reviewing the brainwavz m4. I got them on sale on a whim because they were half off on amazon a few weeks ago, but realized that they were one of the few if any brainwavz you hadn't reviewed and was curious if there was a reason? If you have a chance I'd definitely suggest taking a listen to them, I personally think they are very good for their price range.

Thanks.

The M4 is the most recent release of the Brainwavz IEMs. Brainwavz stuff is generally great value for money and I did want an M4 at one point but there's too much on my plate to go chasing more IEMs at this time.

Quote:
The M6 are a great if not the best bang for buck headphones that are good for the gym. I will say though I hated the memory wire, which put me off them in the end. I would suggest looking at the new version of the m6 the sports-fi S6 could have a little better memory wire (don't quote me on it) also here is a website that might be useful to use:  
http://www.workoutheadphones.org/category/earbuds-2/

I removed the memory wire on my 1st-gen M6 (they used to have stiff copper wire) fairly easily. The current steel memory wire is pretty similar to custom IEMs and not a bother at all for me.

Quote:
Just to share that I recently discovered that the K2 is a pair highly resolving IEMs. They have shown me how good an MP3 player is the Tascam DR2d. It has plenty of drive and sounds way better than my Nokia N82 and SansaFuzeRB3.10.
Tascam DR2d>>>N82>Fuze.

Agreed, they scale very well. Only trying them with a low-end portable would probably result in a mildly disappointing experience. They would seem to be "on the edge" of being very good but not quite there.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #5,813 of 16,931

Quote:
I feel the e-Q5 is a phone that doesn't get nearly the attention (or recommendations) it deserves..

Despite selling it recently, I've long been (and still am) a fan of the GR07.  Since getting the e-Q5, I really haven't looked back as far as mid-fi goes.  Like the GR07, the e-Q5 presents a sound in a neutral, slightly smooth fashion.. but the Ortofon has better dynamics, speed, and a wider soundstage.  I'd put clarity, instrument separation, and transparency on par, if not better than the GR07 too.  The e-Q5 also has better control through the midrange & up through the treble, IMO.  Where the GR07 pulls ahead (by a hair, mind you) is natural tonality & microdetail.

Listening to the e-Q5, one would think they're listening to a dynamic driver when considering the impressive decay and texturing the e-Q5 boasts (for a MA driver).  It truly represents the best of both the BA & DD worlds making it quite versatile for me.  Bass has an very nice punch and extends deep enough for my tastes (lots of hip hop, electronica, downtempo, etc.).

Availability be damned, they're very capable phones that boast a sound to match it's top notch build quality & smooth, refined look.  I recently snagged them from Amazon.jp (using the Tenso.com shipping service) for ~$200 shipped.. an excellent value & one that rivals the GR07's wallet friendliness too.

I've been looking into the Ortofon IEM's. The e-Q5 sounds interesting but I've been more drawn to the e-Q7. Have you listened to the e-Q7 and if so in your opinion is the e-Q7 worth the upgrade? Considering the price difference is small between the two models I'm stuck on which model would be the smarter investment for me.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #5,814 of 16,931
Why is the Sennheiser IE8 still $399.99? I really want to purchase it, but it's too expensive. Are the copies from ioffer.com at least 90% identical?
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #5,815 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm a fan of the e-Q5 but it does come down to availability. If they were consistently available worldwide for ~$200 shipped (with after-sale support) they would be much more popular.. 

I haven't listen to these much. Does it boast of a wider soundstage compared to VSonic GR07 ?

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #5,816 of 16,931
I've been looking into the Ortofon IEM's. The e-Q5 sounds interesting but I've been more drawn to the e-Q7. Have you listened to the e-Q7 and if so in your opinion is the e-Q7 worth the upgrade? Considering the price difference is small between the two models I'm stuck on which model would be the smarter investment for me.

I haven't heard the e-Q7 but based on what I've read, both phones share a large degree of the sound as a foundation.. but where the e-Q5 is a little brighter.. the e-Q7 is warmer.  I'm pretty sure joker reviewed both.. there's another great shootout thread that compares the Ortofons, the Final Audio phones, etc. in extensive detail.

I haven't listen to these much. Does it boast of a wider soundstage compared to VSonic GR07 ?

In my opinion, the e-Q5 has a slightly (but noticeably) wider & and much deeper soundstage than the GR07.  That being said, the e-Q5 isn't on some IE8-type soundstage level.  I'd say the GR07 is slightly above average in width, and the e-Q5 is a little wider than it.

Imaging is on par with the GR07.

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #5,817 of 16,931
Among Sunrise SW xscape Vsonic-GR07 Hifiman-Re-zero, which one is best for rock and which has the bass

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5,818 of 16,931

Quote:
Among Sunrise SW xscape Vsonic-GR07 Hifiman-Re-zero, which one is best for rock and which has the bass

You would probably have a tough time finding an original Xcape these days. The GR07 has more bass and sounds great with rock.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #5,819 of 16,931
I've been using a pair of Meelec M6 on the gym for 1year and a half and although they are very durable (still functioning perfectly) i absolutely HATE the wiring. It's very uncomfortable and the only way i can seem to use them is to clip them to my shirt or shorts and even then i have to adjust them frequently. The whole wire is very stiff and doesnt seem to "flow" naturally retaining the curved shape from the carrying case.
The M6 have been through some revisions since then so they might be better now, I can't really tell.

I've taken a picture to show this problem. In the picture you can see the CX400-II and RE0 with the wire perfectly straight. The M6 has been stretched and I tried to make it straight but it just curls up how it shows in the picture. As you can imagine this is a pain to wear

I just ordered a pair of PL-30s to try and replace the M6 (didnt go for the E30 because sound quality is not really needed, i mostly listen to podcasts), i'll see how it goes.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #5,820 of 16,931
@Joker

I am using Brainwavz M2 at the moment and now need balanced sounding iem which should has bass quantity like the M2 or more with same/more bass quality. Mids not as much as the Brainwavz M2 has. Little bit more extended smooth treble than the M2. I need better soundstage, Imaging and instrument separation than the M2. I have chosen 3 earphones from your reviews are as follows in no particular order:

Fischer Audio Consonance
ThinkSound TS02
ECCI PR401

AFAIK that EECI PR401 is less in bass, but I am waiting for your reply now as you know the best.

Budget is around $60-$100.

Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back