Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #5,792 of 16,931

Quote:
IjokerI, do you think the Sanso Clip + is a worthy component for IEMs such as TF10, IE80, FXT90? Or would you recommend stepping to another device?

Also, do you think there is a discernable SQ difference between FLAC and MP3 (320 kbps)?

And thank you for sharing all the information that you do.

I can't really hear the difference between mp3 kbps and flac with universal IEMs. Im not sure about customs.

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #5,793 of 16,931

Quote:
These are on your profile source section: iPod 5G/5.5G/4G Nano.
do you still have any of them to test with Miracle?

Well, they are listed under 'Gone' so no...

I had the 4G Nano for like a week because someone said it was better than a Clip+. I didn't think it was so I returned it. The 5G/5.5G were regular iPods.

Quote:
IjokerI, do you think the Sanso Clip + is a worthy component for IEMs such as TF10, IE80, FXT90? Or would you recommend stepping to another device?

Also, do you think there is a discernable SQ difference between FLAC and MP3 (320 kbps)?

And thank you for sharing all the information that you do.

I cannot tell FLAC from 320k on the go with my portable player, never could. I don't think I ever tried to A:B specifically with the Miracle, but 320 really sounds very very good to me, even with my most familiar tracks. With my home setup I'm quite sure I can but I've never subjected myself to a blind test. Figure there's no point - I  keep two copies of my library when possible anyway - flac for home listening/testing/reviewing and a 320k duplicate for portable use. It's very easy to rip everything new twice instead of once and storage is cheap these days.

The clip+ is a very good player. I think the J3 is a small step up from the Sansa players and there's a lot of utility in the BBE EQ if you need it. The only other player I've tried that I thought was an upgrade from the clip was my S:Flo2. I didn't like the signature of the HM801 even though it's a great player.

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #5,796 of 16,931
Thank you IjokerI
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #5,797 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, have the JVC FXT90 as strong treble as the JVC FX700? I am wanting to buy it, but i have fear of it be as fatiguing as the FX700. 

Well, the FXT90 is not exactly treble-recessed but it probably won't quite be as fatiguing as the FX700 (and definitely not as fatiguing as the FX500). I only found the FX700 be become mildly fatiguing at higher volumes so maybe the higher isolation of the FXT90 will eliminate the need for that.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5,798 of 16,931
Joker, I 100% understand that you cant spend time with every ~$400 universal to come down the pike, but for all the fanfare around earphones like the W4 and SM3, I see very little on Head-Fi about Grado's GR10. I suspect that its a combination of the price and the fact that a single-driver, lime green (!) earphone just isn't what the kids are looking for at that price point. The reviews that I have read are positive, but the local distributor here in Oz is something of a rogue - he had previously told me he had a certain model in stock and I've waited months for delivery.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #5,800 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, I 100% understand that you cant spend time with every ~$400 universal to come down the pike, but for all the fanfare around earphones like the W4 and SM3, I see very little on Head-Fi about Grado's GR10. I suspect that its a combination of the price and the fact that a single-driver, lime green (!) earphone just isn't what the kids are looking for at that price point. The reviews that I have read are positive, but the local distributor here in Oz is something of a rogue - he had previously told me he had a certain model in stock and I've waited months for delivery.

I very much enjoyed the GR10 when I had them as a loaner from another head-fi member. The problem may be price in that Grado usually are very strict on their price so it doesn't deviate from MSRP very often and that the e-Q5 offered very similar sound at a much lower cost. However if I was given the choice I'd pick the GR10 as they were just so comfortable and sounded pretty damn good. It is a shame that it isn't talked about more but it is a good earphone.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,801 of 16,931

Quote:

I very much enjoyed the GR10 when I had them as a loaner from another head-fi member. The problem may be price in that Grado usually are very strict on their price so it doesn't deviate from MSRP very often and that the e-Q5 offered very similar sound at a much lower cost. However if I was given the choice I'd pick the GR10 as they were just so comfortable and sounded pretty damn good. It is a shame that it isn't talked about more but it is a good earphone.

Thanks rawstr - appreciate the feedback. Grado cops a lot of flak on HF for making headphones that look 'cheap', and it may be that people who buy a $400 IEM simply expect more bling : perhaps purple shells with 'G-R-A-D-O' pulsating in flashing orange neon in time with your doof-doof tunes .... 

(Attention Skullcandy - you saw it here first - please forward my royalties)

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #5,802 of 16,931
Added Fischer Audio FA-977 Jazz and Paradigm v.3. Also updated the planned review list.

Quote:
(3A63) Fischer Audio FA-977 Jazz

Reviewed Jan 2012

Details: Wooden IEM from Fischer Audio
Current Price: $55 from gd-audiobase.com (MSRP: $55)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: 5-20k Hz | Cable: 4.1' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Generic bi-flanges, stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The large wooden housings of the FA-977 are trimmed in gold, as are the y-split and I-plug. The brown cable is plasticky and of average thickness, with no cable cinch and hard plastic strain reliefs. Mild driver flex is present
Isolation (3.5/5) – Large housings prevent deep insertion but isolation is easily above average
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Can be bothersome when worn cord-down but lower than with Fischer’s cloth cord. Low when worn cord-up
Comfort (3/5) – Straight-barrel housings are lightweight but surprisingly large. Sizeable diameter prevents deep insertion and may make them uncomfortable for those with smaller outer ears.

Sound (6.4/10) – Quite possibly the most unique of Fischer’s mid-tier models, the Jazz provides a forward yet spacious sound that works surprisingly well when taken as a total package. The bass has decent depth and good impact, lagging only a little behind the Sunrise i100 on both counts. It is punchy but not particularly tight or crisp – mediocre resolution leaves the low end somewhat muddy and ill-defined. Other than the mediocre control, the bass is pleasant – punchy, full, and smooth. Bass depth is average – the pricier Consonance model offers significantly more sub-bass in addition to better detail and texture.

The mids of the Jazz are smooth and prominent. Vocals are forward, balancing well with the impactful low end, and the tone is warm overall. Clarity and detail again suffer due to the mediocre resolution - all of the higher-end Fischer models I’ve tried are superior to the Jazz in this regard. The Ceramique especially sounds much cleaner and more refined, though it lacks some of the fullness of the Jazz. The similarly-priced Brainwavz M2 also offers up better clarity while the cheaper Sunrise i100 falls behind only a little.

The treble transition is smooth and the top end is laid back in comparison to the midrange. The Jazz does a good job of cutting out sibilance but sounds just a hair dark compared to the Ceramique. It also lacks energy with cymbals compared to the Consonance or even the Paradigm v.3. The presentation is wide and spacious despite the forward midrange. The earphones sound airy and open – more so than a Brainwavz M2, for example – but suffer from mediocre dynamics and average separation. The similarly-priced Paradigm v.3 has a smaller soundstage but easily surpasses the separation of the Jazz.

Value (7/10) – With dozens of wooden earphones on the market, Fischer Audio’s FA-977 Jazz stands out mostly with its sound signature, combining a fairly large soundstage with intimate, forward mids and hard-hitting but not overbearing bass response. Competitors with this type of sound signature are few and far between, making the Jazz a good buy for some, but those who are not looking for this particular signature may want to pay a bit more for a Paradigm v.3 or Consonance instead.

Pros: Unique mid-forward sound with good bass punch
Cons: Large housings; Clarity and detail not as impressive as with other Fischer IEMs

(3A64) Fischer Audio Paradigm v.3

Reviewed Jan 2012

Details: angled-nozzle earphone from FA
Current Price: $58 from gd-audiobase.com (MSRP: $58)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 18Ω | Sens: 106 dB | Freq: 6-25k Hz | Cable: 4.1' 45º-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (2/5) - Single-flange (2 sizes) and bi-flange silicone tips; soft carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – The construction of the Paradigm v.3 is similar to that of the similarly-priced Consonance. The housings are plastic but seem to be put together well. The nozzle filters are metal and the strain reliefs are sturdy yet flexible all around. The nylon-sheathed cables are somewhat tangle-prone
Isolation (3/5) – Large, vented housings prevent deep insertion but isolation is still decent
Microphonics (2.5/5) – Quite bothersome when worn cord-down and cable-up wear is made difficult by the driver bulge and angled-nozzle housings
Comfort (4/5) – The housings are lightweight but large and fit more like the half-in-ear FA-788 model than slimmer angled-nozzle sets such as the JVC FX500 and Denon C710. Sizeable housing diameter also prevents deep insertion and may make them slightly uncomfortable for those with smaller outer ears

Sound (7.2/10) – The Fischer Audio Paradigm v.3 takes on a fairly well-balanced sound signature, contrasting sharply with the more v-shaped Consonance and the more mid-forward Jazz. The bass has decent depth and good punch – the Paradigm is not constantly bass-heavy as the Consonance tends to be but is more than capable of belting out low notes when necessary. Impact is generally similar to the Jazz and while the Paradigm does have similarly average detail levels, its superior dynamics and bass control result in a more realistic low end.

The midrange of the Paradigm v.3 is clearer and less forward than that of the Jazz but is by no means recessed or distant. The mids are crisp and well-defined, with the Paradigm being quicker and more resolving. With its lesser bass depth, slightly thinner note presentation, and minimal bloat, the Paradigm also lacks the warmth of the Jazz, sounding more neutral and closer to the similarly-priced Ceramique.

The treble is fairly detailed and has some sparkle. It is not as smooth as that of the Ceramique, instead boasting some unevenness reminiscent of the Consonance and Soundmagic’s E10. Top-end extension is average and the Paradigm sounds a touch dark next to the Ceramique. The presentation is fairly average as well – the soundstage is not as large as that of the Jazz even though the Paradigm tends to sound more laid-back on the whole and instrument separation is quite good. Layering, however, isn’t particularly impressive and the Paradigm can’t quite match the more versatile 3-D imaging of the Consonance.

Value (7.5/10) – The Paradigm v.3 is yet another impressive mid-range earphone from Fischer, combining a balanced sound signature with a comfortable form factor and well thought-out build. Those who require high isolation or tend to be active while wearing earphones may want to look for a deeper-fitting earphone that can be worn cord-up more easily but on the whole the Paradigm is a worthy all-rounder.

Pros: Comfortable and well-built; balanced and capable sound
Cons: Tough to wear over-the-ear; microphonics can be annoying

Quote:

It's a bit of a cycle - more popular IEMs usually make their way to me but rarer ones are less likely to land on my desk as a loan. Single moving armatures can definitely produce great sound - the Ortofon sets certainly do - and I have nothing against the Grados' design. Just haven't come across one yet.

Quote:
Thanks for this post...referred to it many time when deciding :)

Welcome, glad it was helpful

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #5,804 of 16,931
I feel the e-Q5 is a phone that doesn't get nearly the attention (or recommendations) it deserves..

Despite selling it recently, I've long been (and still am) a fan of the GR07.  Since getting the e-Q5, I really haven't looked back as far as mid-fi goes.  Like the GR07, the e-Q5 presents a sound in a neutral, slightly smooth fashion.. but the Ortofon has better dynamics, speed, and a wider soundstage.  I'd put clarity, instrument separation, and transparency on par, if not better than the GR07 too.  The e-Q5 also has better control through the midrange & up through the treble, IMO.  Where the GR07 pulls ahead (by a hair, mind you) is natural tonality & microdetail.

Listening to the e-Q5, one would think they're listening to a dynamic driver when considering the impressive decay and texturing the e-Q5 boasts (for a MA driver).  It truly represents the best of both the BA & DD worlds making it quite versatile for me.  Bass has an very nice punch and extends deep enough for my tastes (lots of hip hop, electronica, downtempo, etc.).

Availability be damned, they're very capable phones that boast a sound to match it's top notch build quality & smooth, refined look.  I recently snagged them from Amazon.jp (using the Tenso.com shipping service) for ~$200 shipped.. an excellent value & one that rivals the GR07's wallet friendliness too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back