Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 22, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #5,266 of 16,931

Quote:
As I mentioned, I recently picked up the Mile Davis Tributes on a whim during an Amazon lightning deal and like them a lot more than I expected. BUT...I am finding the bass of the MDTs excessive. I was trying to find a replacement that has the qualities I like about the MDT (very warm, natural, full midrange, but still with some detail) without ALL that bass. For me, the RE262s are not it.  Although they are very good, they just don't have the same lushness in the lower midrange that I am enjoying in the MDT.  (That said, I would consider keeping the RE262 if I hadn't also just picked up the GR07.  But I just can't justify 3 new pairs of earphones...even though it is Christmas!) 

Sorry, dunno if anyone has suggested this yet, or what your budget is like, but might I suggest the SM3? I think it may fit the bill for what you're looking for tho. IMO, of course.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #5,267 of 16,931

Quote:
I would go with the RE-ZERO. It's not exactly laid back in the upper mids/lower treble but it's not peaky. Not recommending Sunrise at the moment due to build quality issues.

As distributor of HiFiMan and Sunrise i may say - problem with dfective product in HiFiman not less than in Sunrise :)

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #5,268 of 16,931

Quote:

As distributor of HiFiMan and Sunrise i may say - problem with dfective product in HiFiman not less than in Sunrise :)

As noted at the beginning of the thread, I can only recount my own experiences with the products in question. I have had a total of six (!) issues with the three Sunrise products I've owned over the course of six months. I've had a total of zero issues with the five HiFiMan products I've owned over the course of three years. As far as I know HiFiMan has never released a product that is unusable past 1-2 hours because the voice coil overheats.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #5,269 of 16,931

Quote:
Sorry, dunno if anyone has suggested this yet, or what your budget is like, but might I suggest the SM3? I think it may fit the bill for what you're looking for tho. IMO, of course.

Thanks....I appreciate the feedback.  From what I have just read about the SM3, it does sound like a possibility.

But I think I have decided that I will get off the buy/return train for awhile and just appreciate the things I like about the MDT on the music where it sounds best...and just skip the tracks where I find the bass overpowering or switch to other phones.  I have enough variety with the other phones I bought this year that it is probably not worth the effort/expense to force this search.

That said, after re-reading some of ljokerl's reviews and comparing to what I am hearing, I realize that I am leaving out part of what I find so appealing: I think I am really enjoying the timbre and dynamics in addition to the warm, full mids.  More than any other IEM I currently have, the MDTs make me feel like I am hearing real, live instruments (the only problem is, I am sitting right next to the bass player 
bigsmile_face.gif
)
I probably would really like the DDM2 (as ljokerl suggested earlier), but I am concerned that I won't be able to return them if they are not what I am looking for.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #5,270 of 16,931
Are the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers worth $99 CAD? And would they make a basshead/Treble head happy? I'm more of a U/v-Shaped type of guy but, seeing these are going to be on sale for $99 would they be great? And would they make me happy?

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #5,271 of 16,931
MeElectronics is offering me a free -M model since their M9's fell apart on me so much.
Whats your opinion on what I should receive?
(m2,m9,m6,m31,m21,m16, or the most expensive M11+)?
I was thinking the M11+, it's the most expensive for a reason right?
Or do the other newer M models top the M11+, at an even lower price?
The M31's seem to be the same price as the M11+, atleast on their website.
The insane bass and fun sound tempts me, but the size..

Just so you know, I prefer Hip Hop and Rap, which bass always sounds good with.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #5,274 of 16,931

Quote:
MeElectronics is offering me a free -M model since their M9's fell apart on me so much.

Either the M11+ or the M21. Similar sound sigs with the M11+ being more bass heavy.

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5,275 of 16,931

Quote:

Now there's a ringing endorsement....

Our local headphone guy here in Oz dropped UE because he was getting too many returns due to poor quality control - it will come back to bite them eventually.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #5,276 of 16,931
Not really too sure where to ask this, but do the tips on Meelec m21s fall out easily?  I finally got them and I'm loving them(Keep in mind this is my first pair of good sounding iems, or at least to me they are haha).

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #5,278 of 16,931
Added Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 and ACS T15

Quote:
(2B11) Creative Aurvana 3

Reviewed Dec 2011

Details: Third-gen enthusiast-oriented IEM from consumer electronics giant Creative Labs
Current Price: $150 from amazon.com (MSRP: $149.99)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 112 dB | Freq: 10-17k Hz | Cable: 4' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4mm | Preferred tips: MEElec triple-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (4.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes), foam eartips (2 sets), cleaning tool, airplane adapter, and hard-shell carrying case with removable cable winder
Build Quality (3.5/5) – The glossy, reflective housings are plastic and feature matte dual-bore nozzles and very, very flexible strain reliefs. The rubbery cable is extremely soft and thin. It never gets in the way but also tends to tangle and doesn’t inspire much confidence in the earphones’ longevity
Isolation (4/5) – Ergonomic housings and fully-sealed design result in above-average isolation
Microphonics (4.5/5) – Pretty much nonexistent in the soft, featherweight cable
Comfort (3.5/5) – The housings are very well-designed – lightweight, smooth, and rounded at the edges; the nozzle is angled well and the soft strain reliefs never make themselves known. However, the sheer size of the housing is uncharacteristic for a dual-BA – it is larger than that of a Westone 4. Those with smaller outer ears may experience discomfort quickly as a result

Sound (8.6/10) – Creative’s third-gen armature-based earphone takes some pages out of the Shure playbook when it comes to more than just design – the sound may be familiar to the Shure faithful as well. The signature is mid-centric and slightly warm. The bass is accurate and controlled but not prominent or aggressive. It is fairly punchy but made to sound less so by the midrange emphasis. Gentle roll-off at the bottom also means that even certain single-armature earphones - the Fischer Audio SBA-03, for example - offer better bass depth.

The midrange is the focal point of the Aurvana’s sound signature – forward compared to the bass and treble, warm, and very smooth. Note thickness is good but the presentation is a bit dry, reminiscent of the ill-fated Klipsch Custom 3. The Fischer SBA-03 has similarly forward mids but sounds leaner, with more crispness and slightly better detailing, while the Aurvana is smoother, thicker, and warmer in tone. It’s a pleasant sound but clearly not one for those in search of a balanced, neutral, highly detailed monitor. Even the dual-dynamic JVC HA-FXT90 has better transparency than the Aurvana 3, as well as more natural tone and timbre.

At the top, the Aurvana 3 is laid-back and very non-fatiguing. Compared to earphones with crisp, prominent top ends – the VSonic GR07, for example – the Creatives sound a bit veiled and even a touch dark. As with the bass, the top end is not so much rolled-off as it is overshadowed by the attention-grabbing midrange. The presentation, too, is defined largely by the balance of the earphones - the Aurvana 3 is not particularly dynamic and rarely sounds aggressive or even energetic. The soundstage is about average in size, albeit quite well-rounded. The space is larger than that of the Fischer Audio SBA-03 and the layering is more convincing. Still, the Aurvana 3 lacks air and openness next to dynamic-driver competitors such as the JVC FXT90 and doesn’t have the same imaging prowess. On the upside, it is very, very efficient – clearly designed for use straight out of a portable player.

Value (8/10) – The Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 is a solid mid-range monitor that could pass for a consumer-oriented product from Shure or Westone. Aside from the mid-centric sound, which won’t be to everyone’s liking, the Aurvana 3 also filters potential listeners by ear size with its large plastic housings. Sonically, the Creatives have few weaknesses but also offer few memorable traits – a sound that fails to impress at first listen but may just be a cheaper - albeit slightly less balanced - alternative to something like a Klipsch Custom 3 or Ortofon e-Q7.

Pros: low cable noise; competent mid-centric sound
Cons: large housings not comfortable in smaller ears; thin cable

Big thanks to kidcharlemagne for the Creative Aurvana 3 loan  

Quote:
(2A21) ACS T15

Reviewed Dec 2011

Details: First universal IEM from UK-based customs manufacturer and Etymotic Research partner ACS
Current Price: £149 (est. $230) from acscustom.com (MSRP: £149)
Specs: Driver: BA | Imp: 41.5Ω | Sens: N/A | Freq: 16-20k Hz | Cable: 5.5' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: trimmed MEElec triple-flanges; stock triple-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes) and triple-flange (2 sizes) silicone tips; hard clamshell carrying case
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The minimalistic design combines tiny, nondescript-looking plastic housings with a Kevlar-reinforced cable. The color-coded nozzles are surprisingly wide for an armature-based set and the cable lacks strain relief on housing entry. It also has plenty of long-term memory character despite being relatively tangle-resistant
Isolation (4.5/5) – Tiny, sealed housings allow for very high passive isolation, especially with the triple-flange eartips
Microphonics (4/5) – Present when worn cable-down; low when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (5/5) – The T15 is one of the smallest IEMs on the market and is remarkably unobtrusive. The only odd design choice is the wide nozzle, which makes the fit slightly less universal than – say – an old Etymotic ER6i. For all but those with the smallest ear canals, however, the T15 will be a fit-and-forget earphone with the right tips

Sound (9/10) – The long-time partnership between ACS and Etymotic Research shows through both in the design and the tuning of the T15. The tiny single-armature monitors produce a very clear and detailed sound over a wide frequency range. They are by no means bass-heavy but the low end has surprisingly good depth and is fuller than that of Etymotic’s flagship ER-4S, though not by a wide margin. The ER-4S, with its shorter attack and decay times, sounds drier and more clinical than the T15 does. The bass of the T15 is still very clean and articulate, however, as expected from a single-armature reference earphone. It is flat in response and possesses enough detail and texture to keep up with the likes of the Audio-Technica CK10 and HiFiMan RE272, as well as to easily beat the cheaper Fischer Audio SBA-03 save for the slightly lower overall bass quantity.

In the midrange, the T15 is neutral and very accurate. Overall balance is excellent and the midrange aggression of cheaper monitors such as the SBA-03 is nowhere to be found. The T15 is undoubtedly a BA-based earphone, crisp and highly detailed – traits that are very obvious in comparison to the softer, more relaxed HiFiMan RE272. However, it is also refined and smooth, not unlike the Audio-Technica CK10. Transparency yields to the CK10 and Ety ER-4S slightly but again the T15 has a marginally fuller, more fleshed-out sound. Still, its sound will not be confused with that of a dynamic-driver earphone any time soon. Compared to the JVC HA-FXT90, for example, the T15 offers far less bass, less natural timbre, and a dryer, less musical sound but makes sizable gains in clarity and resolution.

The highly neutral tone of the T15 does help with overall realism – both the ATH-CK10 and Etymotic ER-4S sound a touch colder and brighter on the whole. The CK10 especially offers more treble sparkle at the expense of the flatter, less fatiguing treble response of the T15. Top-end extension is similar between the three despite the CK10 being a dual-armature earphone. Where the Audio-Technicas do pull away is imaging – while the ER-4S and RE272 both offer a slightly wider soundstage with similarly good layering to the T15, the CK10 is significantly more three-dimensional, with a larger soundstage and headstage and more precise positioning. Compared to the rest of my armature-based earphones, the T15 easily holds its own – the stage is wider and more realistic than that of the SBA-03 and more spherical than that of the ER-4S. It is still very much a monitor, however – maybe not as revealing and unforgiving as an Ety, but not far behind. Simply put, the T15 is for fans of balanced, analytical sound who want a slightly more even-footed response curve to the traditional high-end Etymotic earphone.

Value (8.5/10) – The ACS T15 is an extremely capable universal monitor in a remarkably tiny package. The plain plastic earphones may not look or feel particularly high-end but the comfort, isolation, and sound quality make the T15 one of the best choices in its price bracket both for professional use and for consumers who value clarity, accuracy, and balance over emphasized bass and flashy cosmetics. Ety lovers especially should take note of the T15.

Pros: tiny size, sturdy construction, high isolation, very detailed and well-balanced
Cons: long, memory-prone cable

Quote:
Are the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers worth $99 CAD? And would they make a basshead/Treble head happy? I'm more of a U/v-Shaped type of guy but, seeing these are going to be on sale for $99 would they be great? And would they make me happy?

More so than any other Monster IEM I've heard but wouldn't normally recommend them for v-shaped curve. At that price, though, they'll be significantly cheaper than any of my other recommendations so I'd say they are worth it. Should be easy enough to trade if you don't like them.

Quote:

The M11+ still has one of my favorite form factors among all IEMs but I never really 'got' the sound. It sounds quite good with electronica but for Rap I'd go M31 if you want monster bass, M21 if you do not. M31 housing is also quite large, if that's a concern.

Quote:
MEELEC has an unofficial announcement of the MEELEC A161. Don't tell them that I told you guys. It's a secret.
wink.gif

That would be single BA, priced above A151? If it's the same one as before, I believe they had it with them at CES 2011 last January. There were even some posts about it in the CES threads.

Quote:
Not really too sure where to ask this, but do the tips on Meelec m21s fall out easily?  I finally got them and I'm loving them(Keep in mind this is my first pair of good sounding iems, or at least to me they are haha).

Fall off the earphones? Not more than any other - there's a notch on the nozzle to keep them in place.

Quote:
Hey Joker, do you have plans to review the phonak pfe 232 iems anytime in the future?

No plans so far, too rich for my blood as far as universals go.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #5,279 of 16,931

Quote:
Added Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 and ACS T15

More so than any other Monster IEM I've heard but wouldn't normally recommend them for v-shaped curve. At that price, though, they'll be significantly cheaper than any of my other recommendations so I'd say they are worth it. Should be easy enough to trade if you don't like them.

As long, as it makes a basshead happy like me, should I jump on this deal? Sorry for too much questions, I'm currently going to upgrade from my SoundMAGIC e10's. Massive upgrade for me.

Thanks again for all the help!

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #5,280 of 16,931
Wow, the Aurvana 3 and T15 certainly appear to be very competent set of in-ears. The latter piqued my interest ever since I encountered the perfect rating over at trustedreviews. I'll definitely pay the T15 a visit at some point. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back