Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 18, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #5,206 of 16,931
Hi joker, do you know when the FXT90 review will be posted? I couldn't wait so I'm expecting one this week.
Also, is the Tandem a good substitute for one of the MTP?

Which phone is more midcentric and similar SQ as TF10?
Thank you

Dec 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #5,207 of 16,931

Quote:
1. So EX1000 is not 3D?
in terms of 3D presentation, s FX700 > EX1000? only by a very slight margin right?

2. and which one has the best musical instrument separation?

3. comparison with the Klipsch S4, totally quantity wise, because they are not in the same class.
I would like slightly less or equal treble presence compared to the S4. which of the two(EX1000 and FX700) does that?

4. I think I should go with FX700 since I mainly listen to punk rock. But its poor isolation. I going to be travelling on the bus everyday.
Im definitely pleased with Monster Turbine Copper's isolation. Im ok with Sony EX300's isolation.
Is there any ear tips I can use to help isolation? Or maybe an universal iem that is equally as good that can replace FX700?

5. is there is less marginal difference between FX700 sound quality (sound signature aside) and UM Miracle than between Klipsch S4 and Monster Turbine copper?
I can hear that the S4 texture on every instrument is much less than Copper - bass, treble, everything.

thanks

I think there's a fair margin between the EX1000 and FX700 in presentation. Both have good separation and slightly less treble presence than an S4. FX700 response is probably closer to that of the S4. The isolation will be bad no matter the tips - they are open-back earphones. Marginal returns are smaller between the FX700 and a Miracle than the S4 and any top-tier IEM.

Quote:
Joker,

I really love the RE262, and until of late was entirely satisfied to the extent of not buying another IEM. Unfortunately the cable has now broken and have only been used for around month. I'm doubting how long the next pair will last, so considering other alternatives.

What would be the closest alternative to the RE262? The CK100, SM3 and UM3X seem the most appropriate?

That depends on what you would want different from the RE262 in your next pair. If the answer is nothing, you're better off spending just the $150 and getting another one.

Quote:
After carefully reading this thread, i think i am going to get a set of Braniwavz M2 (allthough i am also considering M4 as it seems to be almost similarly priced). I just would like some more opinions based on the following issues:

- I listen to electronic music 80% time, so will this set be good for such music?
- I also prefer natural sound, natural bass, clarity and detail.
- Most of my music is played through iPhone 3GS and my dell D630.
- All my music is in quality MP3 format (V0 and 320), and in FLAC.
- Lastly, i am thinking of buying a Fiio E6 + Fiio L9 LOD to combined it with M2s.

Do you think this combination will be good considering all the above mentioned things? If not, what else would you suggest that does not go over 80-90 euros in total? 

There no need to amp the M2. In this price range you are much better off putting all of the money towards an earphone than buying a toy from Fiio. For 80-90 Eur you could get a HiSound Crystal instead of the M2, or an ECCI PR401 which IMO has a more suitable signature for electronica than the M2 despite not being much better technically.

Quote:
Hi joker, do you know when the FXT90 review will be posted? I couldn't wait so I'm expecting one this week.

Thank you

No

Yes

You've asked that like four times already. My opinion has not changed this week.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #5,209 of 16,931

Quote:

I think there's a fair margin between the EX1000 and FX700 in presentation. Both have good separation and slightly less treble presence than an S4. FX700 response is probably closer to that of the S4. The isolation will be bad no matter the tips - they are open-back earphones. Marginal returns are smaller between the FX700 and a Miracle than the S4 and any top-tier IEM.

can you compare Miracle with FX700?

bass quality.
treble quality
mids quality
Presentation - 3D

which areas does the Miracle do better than FX700 sound quality wise, quantity aside and everything else aside?

because when I heard S4, I feel the Copper's quality of the sound is better in all areas. And thats without comparing them side by side because my copper's right ear is not working anymore.
For the difference in sound quality between FX700 and Miracle, from your experiences, do you have to compare them side by side to hear the difference? or you will remember in your memories that the Miracle is better in almost every way.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #5,210 of 16,931
ljokerl, how can you keep your cool temper with all this annoying people always screwing up your head with "I want to know this", "can you tell me that", etc, etc,.....

SHEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!! SCREW THEM!! :p

Help me here buddy: :)

Meelectronics CC51
Brainwanz M3
Sunrise IE
Sunrise Xcited
RE-ZERO
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
Phiaton PS210
Phiaton PS20
Soundmagic E30
Spider Realvoice
Xears X200Pro
Xears XR120Pro

Which one of these do you consider to produce the most natural, realistic and all arounder performance, sound wise?

Or, alternatively, which one of these has greater similarities to the GR07's all around sonic performance and balance/presentation/signature?
If there is some other sub 100$ IEM you think I should consider do tell... I prefer dynamics though...

I do value flat FR with the least peaks as possible...
I do value neutrality and transparency from an uncolored sound... can be colored but just slightly...
I absolutelly hate prominent peaks in the upper mids/lower treble like I found on the GR07 out of the box...

Take your time!

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #5,211 of 16,931

Quote:
ljokerl, how can you keep your cool temper with all this annoying people always screwing up your head with "I want to know this", "can you tell me that", etc, etc,.....

SHEEEEEEEEEEZZZZ!! SCREW THEM!! :p

Help me here buddy: :)

Meelectronics CC51
Brainwanz M3
Sunrise IE
Sunrise Xcited
RE-ZERO
Fischer Audio Silver Bullet
Phiaton PS210
Phiaton PS20
Soundmagic E30
Spider Realvoice
Xears X200Pro
Xears XR120Pro

Which one of these do you consider to produce the most natural, realistic and all arounder performance, sound wise?

Or, alternatively, which one of these has greater similarities to the GR07's all around sonic performance and balance/presentation/signature?
If there is some other sub 100$ IEM you think I should consider do tell... I prefer dynamics though...

I do value flat FR with the least peaks as possible...
I do value neutrality and transparency from an uncolored sound... can be colored but just slightly...
I absolutelly hate prominent peaks in the upper mids/lower treble like I found on the GR07 out of the box...

Take your time!

Thanks!

The RE-ZERO is definitely out of the question.
tongue.gif

The Brainwavz M3 has good Neutral reputation for a Sub $100 IEM and the Brainwavz M4 does as well.

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #5,212 of 16,931

Quote:
There no need to amp the M2. In this price range you are much better off putting all of the money towards an earphone than buying a toy from Fiio. For 80-90 Eur you could get a HiSound Crystal instead of the M2, or an ECCI PR401 which IMO has a more suitable signature for electronica than the M2 despite not being much better technically.

So i don't get it; do i not need an amp because i play music through 3gs or because i will be using brainwavez M2, or...? Does it have to do with headphone type? Music quality? Music player?
When do i need an amp and when will i not need it?

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #5,213 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by BbOO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i don't get it; do i not need an amp because i play music through 3gs or because i will be using brainwavez M2, or...? Does it have to do with headphone type? Music quality? Music player?
When do i need an amp and when will i not need it?

Portable amplifiers are a bit of a myth.

Look, here is a cheap DAP driving an LCD-3 at high volume, another user said it drives his HE-500 with full detail, soundstage and resolution.

At lot of people come to head-fi looking for the cheapest IEM's possible, and then they buy a $100 portable amplifier, that doesn't make sense.

If you spend an extra $100 on an IEM, you get a significant return in sound quality. Your iPhone 3GS will drive 95%+ of IEM's fine, spend all of your money on the IEM.  If you want to improve the sound-quality further, then you have to improve the source, like the actual sound-card, the DAC section, not only amplify your current source.

Imho.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #5,214 of 16,931
I recently picked up the Monster Miles Davis Tributes during a recent Amazon lightning deal (got caught up in the moment 
wink.gif
).
I really had no intention of keeping them as I also just got the GR07...but I am really liking the way these sound, especially with acoustic music (and jazz, of course).  Really warm, full, and sweet but still has some sparkle and detail up top.  The only issue I have is that the bass can be a bit too strong for my liking at times. 

Can anyone provide me some ideas for an IEM with a similar sound signature to the MDTs...just with more neutral bass?
The RE262 maybe?  the Coppers?

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #5,215 of 16,931

Quote:
I recently picked up the Monster Miles Davis Tributes during a recent Amazon lightning deal (got caught up in the moment 
wink.gif
).
I really had no intention of keeping them as I also just got the GR07...but I am really liking the way these sound, especially with acoustic music (and jazz, of course).  Really warm, full, and sweet but still has some sparkle and detail up top.  The only issue I have is that the bass can be a bit too strong for my liking at times. 

Can anyone provide me some ideas for an IEM with a similar sound signature to the MDTs...just with more neutral bass?
The RE262 maybe?  the Coppers?

Thanks!

Non of the Monster line up have neutral bass. They are for bass heavy in my opinion. probably RE262 or RE272, well its actually neutral all around, not just the bass.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #5,217 of 16,931

Quote:
Portable amplifiers are a bit of a myth.

Look, here is a cheap DAP driving an LCD-3 at high volume, another user said it drives his HE-500 with full detail, soundstage and resolution.

If that is the case, why do Ray Samuels, Justin Wilson and others even bother making desktop amps ? 'full detail, soundstage and resolution' compared to what ??  kiteki, I think you need a Bex and a good lie down - you know as well as I do that its not simply about volume, but if you honestly think said 'user' wouldn't peel back layers he didn't know even existed with a better amp, then it might be time to take a break. One of the reasons professional reviewers trot out their big-dollar reference gear when giving subjective impressions is that they need to have a baseline for comparison, and that baseline is usually about power - neither the LCD-3 nor the HE-500 are notoriously difficult to drive compared to other planar magnetic phones, and the fact that they can be played loud from a DAP doesnt surprise me. There is a review floating around from the early release days of the HD800 where some bozo from a gadget website auditioned them with an iPhone and complained that he couldn't use them portably - he probably thought he had heard everything those phones were capable of.

We ascribe a lot of magical powers to headphone amplifiers, and I'm all for using a single device instead of a 'brick', but when Joker tells me that a given pair of IEMs benefits from additional amping, I believe him. I do agree that it makes more sense to spend that extra $100 on a better pair of IEMs (or put it toward a better DAP..), but dismissing portable amps entirely is short-sighted.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #5,218 of 16,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSlimSeto /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UM Merlins.

The Future Sonics customs also use solely a dynamic driver IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

UM Merlin and the Thousand Sound TS842 are the only hybrid customs I've seen reviewed here. I think there's a Rooth hybrid model as well. Future Sonics, Earpower, Wan Xuan all have single dynamic customs. The only one I've heard is a demo of the Merlin.

There are also a couple of hybrid universals out - at least five that I can think of.

Hmm. I suspect the Merlin has some bass boost - but from the charts it looks a bit high frequency kneed. I'm also afraid of the ~7k peak after what VSonic GR07 OOTB experience was. It looks substantial. Pity it will be nigh impossible to get a listen of these in Poland...
Could you compare their sibilance if any to VSonics? Detailing vs RE272?

Am I right to assume that FutureSonics customs would have a similar sound signature to new Atrios? That'd be good, but could use high end extension and BA high end detail...

Does Thousand Sound have higher end models with better highest end extension and less 3.5k cut?
I can't read the Chinese well enough, but the graphs do seem quite interesting: http://bbs.erji.com/read.php?tid=520827
It looks like it's slightly recessed in ~3.5k, but no sibilance and great extension.

What would those hybrid universals be?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #5,220 of 16,931

Quote:

Thank you

Lol I noticed you have been asking similar questions(including PMs) since like a month ago. Why not just get the FXT90 and be done with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back