Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 30, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #4,996 of 16,931

Quote:
How would you compare DBA-2 to RE 272. Both share the similar sound signature ?

Similar only in the sense that they are both well-balanced. One being BA-based and the other dynamic, they differ a fair amount in how notes are actually conveyed. I would never call the RE272 analytical, for example. I made some comparisons to the bass of to the CK10 in the RE272 review and for the most part they will hold for the DBA-02. They also apply to the rest of the spectrum - the DBA-02 is always crisp and immediate whereas the RE272 is always gentle and liquid.

Quote:
joker, 

i'm still considering the Crystal and the ck10. so i need a bit more info

being the Crystal a dynamic, is it vented? prone to wind noise?

as for the ck10. what's the problem you mentioned about the stock tips? 
have you tried the ck100 foam on the ck10? or are the shure olives better in sound, comfort , isolation, etc?

No wind noise with the Crystal as far as I could tell. 

The stock tips of the CK10 just don't work well for it. It likes foam or a deeper seal (e.g. triple-flanges). I never got to try the CK100 foam. 

Quote:
Thank you for your extensive reviews, it made the search for a new pair of IEMs a far more enjoyable task. (Ety HF5s were my final choice, loving the crisp treble).

Great, glad you like them!

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #4,998 of 16,931
Joker, do you have plans on getting a pair of God's Gift to IEM aka Monoprice 8320?

And this probably has been asked 100 times before, but why isn't there a TF10 review?

edit: I just got the CC51 today, and DAMN you are good at writing the sound characteristics up. Spot on with CC51, although I prefer the A151 over CC51 (their SQ only differ by 0.2 on your scale and sound is largely subjective so I can't fault you)

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #4,999 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, do you have plans on getting a pair of God's Gift to IEM aka Monoprice 8320?

And this probably has been asked 100 times before, but why isn't there a TF10 review?

Someone is sending me a monoprice to try but I probably won't get around to it for quite a while. There's an FAQ on the front page that explains the order reviews are written in. Basically, as long as I have loaned IEMs and review samples to get through, there won't be a TF10 review. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #5,000 of 16,931

How would you compare DBA-2 to RE 272. Both share the similar sound signature ?

Similar only in the sense that they are both well-balanced. One being BA-based and the other dynamic, they differ a fair amount in how notes are actually conveyed. I would never call the RE272 analytical, for example. I made some comparisons to the bass of to the CK10 in the RE272 review and for the most part they will hold for the DBA-02. They also apply to the rest of the spectrum - the DBA-02 is always crisp and immediate whereas the RE272 is always gentle and liquid.

really? 
eek.gif
 that IS a surprise. i was 100% you rated them as a direct upgrade over the RE0.unless you dont call the RE0 analytical neither...

joker, 

i'm still considering the Crystal and the ck10. so i need a bit more info

being the Crystal a dynamic, is it vented? prone to wind noise?

as for the ck10. what's the problem you mentioned about the stock tips? 
have you tried the ck100 foam on the ck10? or are the shure olives better in sound, comfort , isolation, etc?

No wind noise with the Crystal as far as I could tell. 

The stock tips of the CK10 just don't work well for it. It likes foam or a deeper seal (e.g. triple-flanges). I never got to try the CK100 foam. 

so, you did tried triple-flanges! which ones? is like Ety's isolation?
(sorry i keep asking but i'm getting them for a lower price, so i want to know as much as possible)

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #5,002 of 16,931
I cannot get the search engine to return the numerical matrix, where Joker assigned a point value for various attributes and then calculated an average. As I remember first attributes got rankings 1 to 5, but overall ranking was as high as 9.+.

Tried "sticky" "matrix" "array" & c. I'm subscribed to this thread but oddly no link forwarded since 11.23. e-mail to: rlmoss@penguinmail.com. I think private message here should work, but not tested in long while.

Many thanks,

Richard Moss

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #5,003 of 16,931

Quote:
I cannot get the search engine to return the numerical matrix, where Joker assigned a point value for various attributes and then calculated an average. As I remember first attributes got rankings 1 to 5, but overall ranking was as high as 9.+.

Tried "sticky" "matrix" "array" & c. I'm subscribed to this thread but oddly no link forwarded since 11.23. e-mail to: rlmoss@penguinmail.com. I think private message here should work, but not tested in long while.

Many thanks,

Richard Moss

Not quite sure what you are talking about, but the chart with all the scores is on the first page of the thread, waaaayyy at the bottom.

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #5,004 of 16,931
Will the M2's appeal to the average, non-audiophile listener? ( like the ones who still thinks their cheap apple earbuds are good. )
People LOVED my mee m9's because there was so much bass... It felt literally like a club to alot of people, which hopefully the m2 will be even more like a night club..

Dec 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #5,005 of 16,931
Quote:
really?
eek.gif
 that IS a surprise. i was 100% you rated them as a direct upgrade over the RE0.unless you dont call the RE0 analytical neither...

I don't remember calling the RE0 analytical but the RE0 is on the dry and slightly thin side in terms of note presentation whereas the RE272 is more like the RE262 in that regard.

Quote:

so, you did tried triple-flanges! which ones? is like Ety's isolation?
(sorry i keep asking but i'm getting them for a lower price, so i want to know as much as possible)

I use MEElec triples with a trimmed stem (so that the largest flange fits over the body of the CK10s). Isolation is not a match for my ER4 but still very good.

Quote:
ljokerl, first, i want to thank you yet again for devoting countless hours to this review. My question is, which is a better combination of bass and clarity, the original DDM or the standard monster turbine? 

I would go DDM unless you want the more user-friendly form factor of the Turbines.

Quote:

Many thanks,

Richard Moss

This?

Quote:
Will the M2's appeal to the average, non-audiophile listener? ( like the ones who still thinks their cheap apple earbuds are good. )
People LOVED my mee m9's because there was so much bass... It felt literally like a club to alot of people, which hopefully the m2 will be even more like a night club..

The M2 doesn't have as much bass as the M9 but I think the average listener will still find them appealing. Some will even be surprised by the 'clarity' (which in reality would be the forward mids but no matter).

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #5,006 of 16,931
Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to you |joker|, I really appreciate all the work you've put into this thread. I've used your reviews extensively in my recent purchases, and look forward to your future reviews.

Keep up the great work!

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #5,009 of 16,931

Quote:
Just wanted to throw out a big thanks to you |joker|, I really appreciate all the work you've put into this thread. I've used your reviews extensively in my recent purchases, and look forward to your future reviews.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, glad the thread has been helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back