Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Oct 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #4,576 of 16,931
I tried the AKG K3003 and it's not as breathtaking as similar prized iems, er custom iems... the sound is balanced with the regular filter, bass is controlled, mids are slightly forward and they are a bit sibilant. Though I expect them to have airy highs or a grand soundstage like the custom iems but to my disappointment, they don't have. So not a good buy for an iem, maybe it's much better to buy a custom for that money.

I tried them on Stereo Store here and shocked as they are around 1.6KSGD, more than the UM Miracles' 1.3KSGD displayed, which I really liked. Why did AKG priced an iem like that? So I'm still in question with those iems.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #4,577 of 16,931

Quote:
but if you could only pick between the two?

Oh... either I suppose. It's actually easier to get big bass out of the Consonance with its conventional fit but i think a bass lover will be thrilled with both.

Quote:
Hey joker, your reviews are awesome! i had been using the meelec M9 for quite sometime and i love the treble and bass it gives me.. im not so much of an audiophile so i don't really need high-end IEMs.. Currently i am looking for an upgrade from my M9 and i don't wish to spend more than $50 on it.. my question is, is the Brainwavz M1 a worthy upgrade over the M9 if treble and bass were my priority?

Thanks!

No, not at all. The M1 has little bass compared to the M9. I would try a MEElec SP51 or Soundmagic E10 instead. Don't expect significantly more bass out of either compared to the M9 but they are bassy and the overall sound quality is noticeably better.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4,579 of 16,931
Wow. Just as soon as I thought the bar had been raised high enough to stick for awhile by FAD and UM, AKG comes in with a HYBRID UNIVERSAL (shock and curiosity here) at a thousand euro. I've got a dozen emotions in reaction and don't know which is the most remarkable... Who will be next to deliver Dual BA + Dynamic ??

For that money, I'd rather have a 5-Way from SpiralEar... I don't see how any Uni can compete. Not to mention the Merlin is a player in that game, too...

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #4,580 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey joker,

Could you please compare SQ of RE-ZERO and GR07?  

Compare in what way? The most striking differences will be in bass depth/impact and soundstage size/accuracy, with the GR07 winning by a fairly large margin.

Quote:
Wow. Just as soon as I thought the bar had been raised high enough to stick for awhile by FAD and UM, AKG comes in with a HYBRID UNIVERSAL (shock and curiosity here) at a thousand euro. I've got a dozen emotions in reaction and don't know which is the most remarkable... Who will be next to deliver Dual BA + Dynamic ??

For that money, I'd rather have a 5-Way from SpiralEar... I don't see how any Uni can compete. Not to mention the Merlin is a player in that game, too...

Not the first hybrid universal - UE did it years ago with the now-defunct SuperFi 5 EB (1x dynamic, 1x armature) and Scosche did it more recently with the IEM856 (1x dynamic, 1x armature). 

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #4,581 of 16,931
While the GR07 has a much wider stage, the RE-Zero actually has some depth in it's stage whereas the GR07 is more 2D. The RE-Zero is more intimate in comparison, specially because of it's slightly forward midrange. RE-Zero has a notch less bass, but more clarity in it's mids along with more air on top. The RE-Zero has better imaging and speed. GR07 has a thicker note and more bass extension. The RE-Zero is on par imo, but with a deep insertion. 

I personally like how the K3003 isn't a bass monster, all the other hybrids have been more bass lenient (even the customs) from what I've read and seeing graphs. Haven't seen much on the Scosche though. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #4,582 of 16,931
Consonance sounds interesting, if it's so much like my all-time favorite Eterna v1.  Personally, I prefer the over-the-ear form factor, so I think I'll hold off buying Consonance

Oct 26, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #4,583 of 16,931
This thread is like a freight train - just wanted to interject and say that I think FA are a godsend for all of us, but particularly IEM fans. Should have bought the Eterna the last time I was in Malaysia.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #4,584 of 16,931

Quote:
Compare in what way? The most striking differences will be in bass depth/impact and soundstage size/accuracy, with the GR07 winning by a fairly large margin.

Quote:
While the GR07 has a much wider stage, the RE-Zero actually has some depth in it's stage whereas the GR07 is more 2D. The RE-Zero is more intimate in comparison, specially because of it's slightly forward midrange. RE-Zero has a notch less bass, but more clarity in it's mids along with more air on top. The RE-Zero has better imaging and speed. GR07 has a thicker note and more bass extension. The RE-Zero is on par imo, but with a deep insertion.

Thanks a lot joker and Inks. How do they compare in dynamic range?

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #4,586 of 16,931

Quote:
This thread is like a freight train - just wanted to interject and say that I think FA are a godsend for all of us, but particularly IEM fans. Should have bought the Eterna the last time I was in Malaysia.

Better retail presence worldwide would help them out but I am very impressed with the sound of the two mid-range products I've got - the Tandem and another that's in the queue. 

Quote:

Thanks a lot joker and Inks. How do they compare in dynamic range?

IMO dynamics are neither a strength nor a weakness of either but the ZERO is more impressive at its price point.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #4,587 of 16,931
Hello, guys! Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

Long time lurker, first time poster, here. Thank you for this immense effort of reviewing all of these IEMs, so we can make more educated purchases.

On the same topic of purchase, I want to get my hands on a more expensive set of IEMs. Right now, my source is a Nokia 5310 XpressMusic, playing at least V0 MP3s and mostly 320 MP3s of various bassy electronic music, including Drum'n'Bass, Dubstep, Tech House, Minimal, Breakbeat and mostly anything room-shaking. My experience with headphones is my Sennheiser HD201 pair, which I love. Great and warm bass for my tastes, good clarity and detail all around.

On IEMs, I have a 30$ Sony pair, don't remember the model, overpriced from where I bought them, so actual retail price would be 20$ or less. 

I want to experience my music better, so I thought of buying a new pair of IEMs. Read through all the reviews until the 100$ category, and settled on the following two sets: the ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2 or the Fischer Audio Eterna (with HiSoundAudio Crystal as another option)

I can't afford losing the IEMs in under a year, I want them to be quality-made. I've excluded any HiFiMan products because a LOT of Amazon reviewers had failed IEMs in a month. I also don't care much about a totally precise sound. I like how my HD201 sound, if that is any indication of what I would like.

So, guys, what should I pick? Both headphones have free shipping also, but the Eterna is out of stock and I'm bad at waiting. Should I wait? Would my source be OK for such headphones? Should I consider a portable amp? (I've been thinking about the new digiZoid ZO2, but it's kind of expensive and I would much prefer better headphones first) Any other things you guys might want to share?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #4,588 of 16,931
Does it help having some form of manic disorder or Aspergers doing this?
biggrin.gif

When you hit 400 or 500 I think it would be a very nice and proper thing for any frequent reader of this thread to donate say 10 bucks or whatever they feel comfortable donating in gratitude so you can get what you feel is the ultimate in custom IEM's. Or maybe it's time then to get some proper headphones then?
beyersmile.png

Just an idea.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #4,589 of 16,931
I had the Eterna for a couple of months and they had a pretty fun sound.
Great bass, but the recessed mids and slightly hard treble with not the best clarity made me sell then.
Great for electronic music though.
I didn't feel they had a partcularly good build quality. The cable was the worst I've ever encountered! Tangle heaven.
Just my 2 cents. Or ören..

Quote:
 the ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2 or the Fischer Audio Eterna

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #4,590 of 16,931

Quote:
Hello, guys! Sorry in advance for the wall of text.

Long time lurker, first time poster, here. Thank you for this immense effort of reviewing all of these IEMs, so we can make more educated purchases.

On the same topic of purchase, I want to get my hands on a more expensive set of IEMs. Right now, my source is a Nokia 5310 XpressMusic, playing at least V0 MP3s and mostly 320 MP3s of various bassy electronic music, including Drum'n'Bass, Dubstep, Tech House, Minimal, Breakbeat and mostly anything room-shaking. My experience with headphones is my Sennheiser HD201 pair, which I love. Great and warm bass for my tastes, good clarity and detail all around.

On IEMs, I have a 30$ Sony pair, don't remember the model, overpriced from where I bought them, so actual retail price would be 20$ or less. 

I want to experience my music better, so I thought of buying a new pair of IEMs. Read through all the reviews until the 100$ category, and settled on the following two sets: the ViSang R03 / Brainwavz M2 or the Fischer Audio Eterna (with HiSoundAudio Crystal as another option)

I can't afford losing the IEMs in under a year, I want them to be quality-made. I've excluded any HiFiMan products because a LOT of Amazon reviewers had failed IEMs in a month. I also don't care much about a totally precise sound. I like how my HD201 sound, if that is any indication of what I would like.

So, guys, what should I pick? Both headphones have free shipping also, but the Eterna is out of stock and I'm bad at waiting. Should I wait? Would my source be OK for such headphones? Should I consider a portable amp? (I've been thinking about the new digiZoid ZO2, but it's kind of expensive and I would much prefer better headphones first) Any other things you guys might want to share?

Thanks in advance!

I would think the Consonance might be preferable to the Eterna and so far it seems pretty well put together. It's a lot of fun, too. The M2 has a lot more midrange emphasis in comparison but that won't necessarily be better for your genres. You could also go for a Beyer DTX 101 iE - it's pretty bassy and has excellent build quality. I wouldn't bother with a portable amp at this level. 

Quote:
Does it help having some form of manic disorder or Aspergers doing this?
biggrin.gif

When you hit 400 or 500 I think it would be a very nice and proper thing for any frequent reader of this thread to donate say 10 bucks or whatever they feel comfortable donating in gratitude so you can get what you feel is the ultimate in custom IEM's. Or maybe it's time then to get some proper headphones then?
beyersmile.png

Just an idea.

I already got the UM Miracle in this fashion
biggrin.gif
. There's a thread about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back