Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #4,231 of 16,931

Quote:

Why not get a ZO instead of an E7 to improve the bass? The accessories shouldn't be a deal-breaker as they aren't going to give you anything that stands out. The DBA02 does have better isolation and it is more detailed. Why not get a B2 instead? They're a bit cheaper and look "prettier" than the DBA02 while being pretty much the same product. 

I hadn't heard of the ZO before =p . I've read the ABi review and am both excited and skeptical at the same time (I guess I'm one of those "purists" that'll only use it up to half processing...). Won't I miss a "dedicated" amp when paired with the 2010 iPod nano?

As for the B2, well, it's more sleek, sure, but I favor blue to red and like the "nerdy" look of the DBAs, so it's pretty much a draw in that area...

BUT it comes with a hard case and Comply tips, and free international shipping. Only thing stopping me from forgetting about the DBAs is that they reportedly sound a *tad* better (less harsh highs, better bass extension), but I read a review from a pre-production unit, so I'll keep looking.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #4,232 of 16,931
Final production models are reportedly almost identical to DBA-02.

However, they are actually listed as $170 at mp4nation. So there goes the price advantage. The question now is whether the looks and extra accessories are worth the extra $10

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #4,233 of 16,931

Quote:
Final production models are reportedly almost identical to DBA-02.

However, they are actually listed as $170 at mp4nation. So there goes the price advantage. The question now is whether the looks and extra accessories are worth the extra $10

There's also the availability and customer service advantage :p

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4,234 of 16,931

Quote:
There's also the availability and customer service advantage :p

Customer service, lol 
tongue.gif

Oh screw it, I'll get the DBAs. I prefer blue, they are cheaper, come with tri-flanges and I like their "MASTER ƒ SERIES" logo. Yes, I took THAT in account '-'

Edit: I also think I'll avoid the ZO for now. After the brief hype period I passed through, I am now again *extremely* skeptical, and afraid it might ruin the balance.

Edit 2: Actually, I'll get the B2's. And they may as well be the cheaper ones, due to free shipping. Oh well, I have like a week or two before I have enough money, so my opinion will probably swing back and forth during that time =P

... Unless...

I've never used foam tips, though I'm aware of their properties. I'm also aware that they lose their sponginess over time. How much time can a pair last?

Can I use Sony Hybrids with these? Are they even recommendable over the stock tips? (DBA and B2)

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4,235 of 16,931

Quote:
Bought the dtx 101s in the end joker. will let you know how i find them.

Good choice 
wink.gif

Quote:

Can I use Sony Hybrids with these? Are they even recommendable over the stock tips? (DBA and B2)

You would have to mount them on something as the B2/DBA nozzle is too thin to be natively compatible with Hybrids. I don't know how well they work because I didn't bother.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #4,236 of 16,931
Originally Posted by infernojim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bought the dtx 101s in the end joker. will let you know how i find them.

The Beyers are nice. They have good isolation and are very thoughtfully built. They can also be very fun if you like a bass driven sound, enjoy. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #4,239 of 16,931

Quote:
The Beyers are nice. They have good isolation and are very thoughtfully built. They can also be very fun if you like a bass driven sound, enjoy. 

Interestingly enough they are also at least 90% similar to what the Bowers/Wilkins C5 sounds like. B&W went for the same sound signature but unfortunately didn't improve actual sound quality. Combine that with the DTX 101 being smaller, lighter, and more comfortable, less microphonic (since it can be worn cord-up), and arguably better-built and it's pretty clear which one I'd recommend with that $100 price difference. 

Quote:
hello there,
i've been reading this informative thread for quite some time and im thinking of a noticeable upgrade for HF5. Any advice for me? i like clear details.

Depending on what you'd like improved specifically and how much you're looking to spend - GR07, EX600, EX1000, RE272, DBA-02/B2, e-Q5 (or one of the FAD ones), and maybe the W2.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #4,241 of 16,931

Quote:

Interestingly enough they are also at least 90% similar to what the Bowers/Wilkins C5 sounds like. B&W went for the same sound signature but unfortunately didn't improve actual sound quality. Combine that with the DTX 101 being smaller, lighter, and more comfortable, less microphonic (since it can be worn cord-up), and arguably better-built and it's pretty clear which one I'd recommend with that $100 price difference. 

Had a quick blast at lunch time listening to a few old favourites, Massive Attack, Radiohead and so on. Also cracked out Lamb - Gorecki, as there is so much going on in that song to challenge any earphone / hi-fi tech. Sounded incredible; great but not overpowering bass, really wide soundstage, and the isolation was brilliant as well.

Also feel very well built, and as you say are tiny and really comfortable to wear. L-shape jack is always a big plus for me too, which I know Shure's don't have!

So far, am very happy with them. Looking forward to some more listening on my homeward commute!

Thanks for the tip, as I would most likely have gone for the Shure's or Phonak's without guidance, and the more I read (and listen) the more I think these were the better bet for me.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #4,242 of 16,931
Thank you so much for these reviews, ljokerl. I have a question about the Soundmagic PL21; I hope it's okay to ask here. Do you find they fit comfortably when worn with the cable straight down? I was a bit concerned after reading DervishD's post about them that they aren't comfortable when worn this way. I have long hair and want to avoid having to wear the cable over ear if possible, so perhaps another pair would be more suited?

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #4,243 of 16,931

Quote:
Depending on what you'd like improved specifically and how much you're looking to spend - GR07, EX600, EX1000, RE272, DBA-02/B2, e-Q5 (or one of the FAD ones), and maybe the W2.

thanks for your reccommendations!
biggrin.gif
personally, i am more inclined towards the dba-02.Which of the above would be the best performing let's say out of a portable fiio E7?  Would like to have same amount of clarity ( if not better amount of clarity) with decent amount of base ( with hf5 being too base shy without any EQ).  budget is not a problem as long as it is worth it every extra buck. Having said that, i would not like to jump into any expensive IEMs without thorough research on it though. Does the DBA-02 have alot of issues with build quality?  Sorry for asking so many questions
confused.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #4,244 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, any plans to review the SR-003?  

Not at this time

Quote:
Had a quick blast at lunch time listening to a few old favourites, Massive Attack, Radiohead and so on. Also cracked out Lamb - Gorecki, as there is so much going on in that song to challenge any earphone / hi-fi tech. Sounded incredible; great but not overpowering bass, really wide soundstage, and the isolation was brilliant as well.  
Also feel very well built, and as you say are tiny and really comfortable to wear. L-shape jack is always a big plus for me too, which I know Shure's don't have!

So far, am very happy with them. Looking forward to some more listening on my homeward commute!

Thanks for the tip, as I would most likely have gone for the Shure's or Phonak's without guidance, and the more I read (and listen) the more I think these were the better bet for me.

Sounds good, glad you like them. I think all of the new Shures have L-plugs although they are very different from the ones Beyer uses.

Quote:
Thank you so much for these reviews, ljokerl. I have a question about the Soundmagic PL21; I hope it's okay to ask here. Do you find they fit comfortably when worn with the cable straight down? I was a bit concerned after reading DervishD's post about them that they aren't comfortable when worn this way. I have long hair and want to avoid having to wear the cable over ear if possible, so perhaps another pair would be more suited?

As long as you don't have small ears they should be okay. The nozzle is angled slightly and that driver bulge isn't that big. If you can afford the new E10, however, I'd go for that as it is a sizable improvement over the PL21 in sound quality and has a more conventional form factor. 

Quote:
thanks for your reccommendations!
biggrin.gif
personally, i am more inclined towards the dba-02.Which of the above would be the best performing let's say out of a portable fiio E7?  Would like to have same amount of clarity ( if not better amount of clarity) with decent amount of base ( with hf5 being too base shy without any EQ).  budget is not a problem as long as it is worth it every extra buck. Having said that, i would not like to jump into any expensive IEMs without thorough research on it though. Does the DBA-02 have alot of issues with build quality?  Sorry for asking so many questions
confused.gif

They are all top tiers so no real winner there. They should all be able to match the HF5 in clarity, too. If you want a bit more bass I would maybe go dynamic with the GR07 or EX600 (though the DBA-02 will already have more bass than your Etys). The EX600 doesn't isolate too well and looks a bit funky (like all of the EX monitors) but otherwise it can compete with the GR07 pretty well.

Regarding build quality issues, you'd have to ask in the long DBA-02 thread as I have hands-on experience with an insignificant sample size of 1 unit. I've seen some reports of DBA-02 problems but then it has been one of the more popular IEMs here in the past year so that's about what I'd expect. 

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #4,245 of 16,931
I've been eyeing the GR07's and I realized I don't quite know what my favorite sound signature actually IS like.

I originally embraced the ADDIEM's analytical nature due to the extra clarity, but also because I despise big, boomy and texture-less (?) bass, which is so common on lower-end audio and most people seem to love and relate with "good sound" (cough, skullcandy, cough). However, I am nonetheless underwhelmed with its bass. It's like parts of it sound alright, amplitude-wise, at least, and others are very low, and not necessarily just the sub-bass. It's like a bass hump, but that part of the bass that is present doesn't sound natural, maybe that's the "BA bass" people talk about, at least the bad part of it, since DBA-lovers are quick to protect its bass.

I started looking for detail, clarity, detail, imaging, and more detail, but that's just because I want something better than the ADDIEMs. After I read how the DBAs trade dynamic range for detail, I realized that maybe much of that should have been micro-detail, and is instead thrown at you. After reading about the GR07's, I found them to be an impressive all-rounder, with punchy and textured bass that doesn't creep up, along with excellent mids and highs, with effortless sound, a jack of all trades, master of none. Except that, compared to the ADDIEMs, they'll truly sound masterful, and more true to the source. Not to mention they seem to be better built and more comfortable.

Is that truly the case? Forgive me if I make them sound like TEH PERFECT IEMs, but I want to know if they're what I think they are, and I think the difference between them and the ADDIEMs will be as night and day as the one between the ADDIEMs and my sis' Ink'd buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back