Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 10, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #3,797 of 16,931
Added Dunu Trident and Hephaes

Quote:
(3A60) Dunu DN-12 Trident

Reviewed Aug 2011

Details: Entry-level dynamic-driver model from DUNU
Current Price: $35 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: $40)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 95 dB | Freq: 10-20k Hz | Cable: 4’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flange 
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3/5) – Single-flange narrow-channel (3 sizes) and wide-channel (2 sizes) silicone tips, bi-flange silicone tips, soft carrying pouch, and integrated cable wrap
Build Quality (4.5/5) – Like the sturdy metal shells of the Hephaes, the flared housings of the DN-12 feel like they’ve been machined from a solid piece of metal. Attention to detail throughout the construction is superb as usual although Dunu did attempt to give the pricier models a leg up by using plastic and rubber hardware in place of aluminum on the cheaper DN-12. While this makes the DN-12 less fancy in appearance, the overall build quality is no worse for it. As before, the cable is the only part that could stand some improvement as it’s a bit stiff and rubbery
Isolation (4/5) – Surprisingly good, as with the other Dunu earphones
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; not an issue otherwise
Comfort (3.5/5) – The flared housings of the DN-12 are skinny at the front so insertion is not an issue. However, the large diameter at the rear can be a problem for those with smaller outer ears as the outside edge can become uncomfortable after resting on the ear for a while. The earphones being a bit on the heavy side doesn’t help matters

Sound (6.7/10) – The dynamic-driver Trident conforms to the mold set by Dunu’s armature-based Ares and Crius models, offering up a bass- and midrange-heavy sound that impresses with its smoothness and power. The bass of the Trident certainly is punchier and deeper than that of the armature models but it’s not a bass monster in the way the MEElec M31 and Sony XB-series earphones are. There is still plenty of impact but it doesn’t overwhelm. The note presentation is a touch on the soft side but the bass generally comes off rather well-controlled and pleasant.

The midrange is warm and rich. Bass bleed is minimal and the notes are very slightly on the thick side. Detail retrieval is good but the Trident lacks a bit of clarity next to the similarly-priced Soundmagic E10 and E30. As with the pricier Ares and Crius, the clarity of the Trident oscillates between reasonably good and somewhat disappointing, depending on track. At its worst it is still a bit better than with the Blue Ever Blue 886B and UE 350 but not by as a large a margin as one would hope. Aside from clarity, the midrange is good – smooth, level, and slightly ahead of the treble for a fatigue-free sound. Even next to the consumer-oriented Sony EX300 the treble of the Trident sound relaxed and forgiving. Top-end extension is good despite the lack of treble emphasis.

The Trident’s soundstage is average in size but the presentation leans towards intimacy despite the slightly laid-back nature of the sound. The relaxed top end results in a mild lack of air compared to sets like the Soundmagic E10 and the overall sense of space is not nearly as impressive. The Trident also sounds just a touch dark compared to my other favourite sets in the price range. The layering, however, is surprisingly good and the DN-12 generally sounds less congested than the Blue Ever Blue 866B and similarly-priced brand-name sets like the Klipsch S3 and UE 350. Intimate or not, you certainly won’t get performance this good grabbing a similarly-priced product off the shelf in a retail store.

Value (9/10) – More so than the pricier Ares and Crius models, the Dunu DN-12 Trident aims straight for the segment leaders in its price bracket and - in most ways – scores a direct hit. It is well-packaged, well-designed, and well-built, showcasing great attention to detail, functionality, and performance on the part of Dunu’s development team. Priced below $40, the Trident offers more sound quality per dollar than the other Dunu models I’ve heard and one-ups just about all of its competition when it comes to build quality. It is both a great earphone and a great product – not a so-called ‘giant killer’, but well worth the money in my book.

Pros: Very well-built, great attention to detail, great sound quality for the asking price
Cons: Cable can be noisy when worn straight down; flared housings may be uncomfortable for some

Quote:
(2C40) Dunu DN-16 Hephaes

Reviewed Aug 2011

Details: Flagship dynamic-driver model from DUNU
Current Price: $95 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: $99)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 105 dB | Freq: 10-20k Hz | Cable: 4’ L-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (5/5) – Single-flange narrow-channel (3 sizes) and wide-channel (6 pairs in 3 sizes) silicone tips, bi-flange silicone tips, zippered carrying case, soft carrying pouch, cable guides, and integrated cable wrap
Build Quality (4.5/5) – As with all things Dunu, the construction quality is fantastic. The two-tone metal housings feature articulated flames and the finish is excellent all around. Like the Ares and Crius, the Hephaes features metal mesh filters, aluminum cable cinch and y-split, and a beefy right-angle plug. The cable again underwhelms just a bit, being a touch rubbery and stiff and featuring very short strain reliefs on housing entry
Isolation (4/5) – Very good for a dynamic-driver earphone
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Bothersome when worn cable-down; not an issue otherwise
Comfort (3.5/5) – The metal housings of the Hephaes are not small and a bit on the heavy side but still fit well, helped by the large eartip selection. One potential issue, interestingly, spans from the articulated flames, which have sharp edges and can irritate the outer ear after a while. Wearing them cord-up helps and is necessitated anyway by the microphonics

Sound (7.1/10) – The sound signature of the Hephaes is highly reminiscent of Dunu’s cheaper dynamic-driver model, the Trident. The bass is deep, punchy, and forward. The impact outpaces the rumble compared to the similarly bass-heavy Nuforce NE-700X and Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE but there’s plenty of both. Like the Trident, the Hephaes will please bassheads without fully sacrificing fidelity in favor of its hefty low end. The bass could stand to be a touch quicker and, as with the Trident, does bleed up into the midrange a tiny bit but is still pleasant on the whole.

The midrange is warm and smooth but not as rich and liquid as that of the Trident. Instead it is drier and more crisp, which does help the clarity a little. Still, the clarity doesn’t quite do it for the price of the earphone and lags behind both the Fischer Audio Eterna and the Beyer DTX 101 iE, never mind the RE-ZERO and MEElec CC51. Detail retrieval is good but the note presentation is again just a bit too thick for my liking, hindering resolution slightly. The top end is smooth on the whole but takes less of a step back in comparison to the midrange than that of the Trident. Upper-end extension is good – the Dunu dynamics have no trouble covering the audible frequency spectrum.

The soundstage is average in size but the Hephaes takes advantage of the available space a bit better than the more intimate Trident does. It is still by no means wide-sounding or airy but the layering is good and elements are well-positioned. Unfortunately, the competition is also much stiffer in the DN-16’s price bracket. The Beyerdynamic DTX 101 iE, for example, sounds more open, more airy, and more effortless than the Hephaes and the Sennheiser IE6 has a much larger soundstage. The slightly constrained dynamics of the Hephaes don’t do it any favors on the presentation front, either. The presentation should be satisfactory for most listeners but soundstage junkies will want to look elsewhere for their fix.

Value (7.5/10) – Offering mostly minor sound quality improvements over the cheaper DN-12 model, Dunu’s mid-range dynamic just doesn’t maintain the same bang/buck ratio with its barely-sub-$100 price tag. While I appreciate the unique styling and superb fit and finish of the earphones, the performance doesn’t really impress next to some of the competition from Spider, Xears, Brainwavz, Sunrise, and even Shure. The inoffensive sound signature of the DN-16 seems forced and sculpted and technical performance suffers as a result. As an overall package, the Hephaes is still good value for money but the price segment is a crowded one and Dunu’s much-cheaper Trident model is already good enough to compete. As it stands, the DN-16 simply isn’t as hot a deal as its appearance may indicate.

Pros: Very well-built; great attention to detail; well-accessorized; good isolation
Cons: Cable can be noisy when worn straight down; clarity lags behind segment leaders; not a huge upgrade from cheaper Trident model; may be uncomfortable for some

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3,798 of 16,931
I'm still waiting for someone to troll by quoting the first page : )

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #3,801 of 16,931

Quote:
i havent seen any. but im surprised you find the re252 comfortable with that weird shape

Quote:
I have to agree that I achieved a very tight fit and high isolation with the RE252 and great bass response, it feels like a custom IEM.

@kanuka, sure, I'll take a picture later.

I get a really nice fit, but the isolation is average and I'm just not feeling the bass response... sigh, so close and yet so far to finding an iem that works for me.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #3,802 of 16,931

Quote:

I get a really nice fit, but the isolation is average and I'm just not feeling the bass response... sigh, so close and yet so far to finding an iem that works for me.

welcome to my club buddy
beerchug.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #3,803 of 16,931
I noticed a small error.

(2C37) Dunu DN-11 Ares - Added 06/15
(2C38) Dunu DN-13 Crius - Added 06/15
(2C39) Spider Realvoice - Added 06/20
(3C40) Dunu DN-16 Hephaes - Added 08/10

Should be 2C40. Thanks for all the good work, what a bunch of reveiws, impressive!

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3,804 of 16,931
Phew, thread is back up. Was returning an error message earlier today. 

Quote:
I noticed a small error.

(2C37) Dunu DN-11 Ares - Added 06/15
(2C38) Dunu DN-13 Crius - Added 06/15
(2C39) Spider Realvoice - Added 06/20
(3C40) Dunu DN-16 Hephaes - Added 08/10

Should be 2C40. Thanks for all the good work, what a bunch of reveiws, impressive!

Fixed, thanks.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3,805 of 16,931

Quote:
Phew, thread is back up. Was returning an error message earlier today. 

Fixed, thanks.

I was getting that too - perhaps you should keep a backup?

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3,806 of 16,931
Ordered N3i a couple of hours ago, but just read XE200 review. How big is the difference, from the rookie's perspective? Since I haven't paid yet, it shouldn't be too inconvenient for Thomas to cancel the order?

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3,807 of 16,931
saw the Trident review. personally felt that it sounded quite similar to the CX300II, and it's more worth its price. what are your thoughts?

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3,809 of 16,931

Quote:
I was getting that too - perhaps you should keep a backup?

I do, but only of the text. Just thinking of re-doing all of the formatting for the entire thread makes my skin crawl.

Quote:
Ordered N3i a couple of hours ago, but just read XE200 review. How big is the difference, from the rookie's perspective? Since I haven't paid yet, it shouldn't be too inconvenient for Thomas to cancel the order?

Not big. The N3i is the more impressive earphone at first listen, actually. If you think you'd prefer a slightly more balanced sound, I'd consider switching to the XE200PRO. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Quote:
saw the Trident review. personally felt that it sounded quite similar to the CX300II, and it's more worth its price. what are your thoughts?

I've never heard the mkII CX300. In a way the Trident does sound like a much more refined CX300 without the mid-bass lift, bloat, and top-end roll-off.

Honestly, the Trident is one of the five best <$40 IEMs I've heard, alongside the Brainwavz M1, MEElec CX21, Soundmagic E10, and Soundmagic E30. It just happens to be my least favourite of the five.

Aug 12, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #3,810 of 16,931

Quote:

I do, but only of the text. Just thinking of re-doing all of the formatting for the entire thread makes my skin crawl.

Click the edit button, hit the "source" button at the upper left, now copy the code rather than just the text. Voila, instant backup. You'll have to do this for each individual post in the megathread(s) though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back