Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #3,511 of 16,931
oh my gosh, im in need of deserate help here.

my monster turbine headphones which i purchased a couple of months ago have now broken... the sound in one ear has completely gone, but the other side seems to be working fine, is there anything that i can do?

and these are just the regular turbines, not the pro editions.

Jul 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #3,512 of 16,931

Quote:
That sounds amazing... for you guys in the US.
tongue_smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-MDR-EX600-Studio-Quality-Earbud-DJ-Headphones-2011-/220803187933?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item3368e544dd

"Ships To: Worldwide"

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,515 of 16,931

Quote:

I probably wouldn't bother with the CK10 if you own one of the DBA rebrands. The RE0 is a good rival to pretty much anything, it just misses out here and there compared to something like the CK10. I can still go back and forth without saying 'well this sounds like crap' (which is what happens when the CK10 goes up against something like the Klipsch S4 or Maximo iM-590). 

The OK1 is pretty different from anything else I've heard. The bass is not great and does roll off. You'll get more punch out of a good in-ear. The soundstage is fine. The OK1 is brighter than the Westone 1 so there are definitely differences in how instruments and vocals are presented.

thanks clearing things up
can you say the same about the re-zero and/or the new sunrise's xcape ie and xcited?

as for the ok1 bass. i havent heard any other iem than the pl50, and they're totally not bassy. all the others i have are just earbuds , which have a much better bass than the pl50, specially the pk1 (even unamped) have a way great impact than can make dizzy/sleepy. with the pl50 i feel the mid/vocals very fwdd, treble in second place and last the flat bass. dont get me wrong they're great but missing the fun.
the B2 should arrive very very soon, then i can compare them.
it's just i dont want to miss a sale offer on the ok1, and i like what you mention about them being very airy with great instrument separation and vocals. i'm just worried not to miss the bass impact of the pk1
i thing i'll ask again after getting some impression of the B2, if you dont mind , of course
thanks again

Jul 12, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #3,516 of 16,931

Quote:

They aren't exactly the same drivers btw.  Despite the size similarity I believe the EX600 are not LCP.

I thought I saw mention of LCP in the EX600 somewhere at the end of last year, but I can't find it now.  You own both, what do you think, do they actually sound different enough to be using different driver material? or is the difference in sound more in line with the inner-housing material, like in the FI-BA-XX series?
If the EX600 is using a 16mm multi-layer polyethene driver like in the EX700, I'm confused how Sony has supposedly made the EX600 sound so much better and caused all this hype, so I'm inclined to believe it's using a different driver material, such as LCP, or even bio-cellulose, and Sony is simply leaving out the LCP from the specs sheets for marketing purposes "Look, the EX1000 is special". 

E484 - bio-cellulose
E888 - bio-cellulose
CD3000 - bio-cellulose
R10 - bio-cellulose
EX500 - polyethene?
EX700 - polyethene
EX600 - ?
EX800 - ?
EX1000 - LCP
Z1000 - LCP

pics
EX700
E888
EX500

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3,517 of 16,931

Quote:
oh my gosh, im in need of deserate help here.

my monster turbine headphones which i purchased a couple of months ago have now broken... the sound in one ear has completely gone, but the other side seems to be working fine, is there anything that i can do?

and these are just the regular turbines, not the pro editions.

Warranty service? Monster's warranty support is pretty painless although one time they "forgot" to contact me and let me know that replacement units for my particular model were OOS.

Quote:
"Shipping and handling: US $54.95"

And I assume you know that shipping from the US usually isn't the same as shipping from the east. Especially if it's a Sony.

Ouch. $200+ and (presumably) no warranty? I'd rather have the GR07.

Quote:
thanks clearing things up can you say the same about the re-zero and/or the new sunrise's xcape ie and xcited?

The IE and Xcited are different. The RE0/ZERO (and Xcape v1) signatures are easier to go back to from a true top-tier since they are less 'flavoured'. The Xcited is bright, overly spacious, and quite aggressive. It works on its own but in an A:B comparison with B2, CK10, etc it probably won't sound very natural. The IE is different but its thicker, warmer sound will result in a much more noticeable clarity drop when switching from something like the CK10 compared to the RE0/ZERO.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #3,519 of 16,931

Quote:
ok thanks, do you have a link to their warranty service or anything, i can seem to find anything

You have to call them up. Annoyingly, they never respond to email or contact forms.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3,520 of 16,931

Quote:
I thought I saw mention of LCP in the EX600 somewhere at the end of last year, but I can't find it now.  You own both, what do you think, do they actually sound different enough to be using different driver material? or is the difference in sound more in line with the inner-housing material, like in the FI-BA-XX series?
If the EX600 is using a 16mm multi-layer polyethene driver like in the EX700, I'm confused how Sony has supposedly made the EX600 sound so much better and caused all this hype, so I'm inclined to believe it's using a different driver material, such as LCP, or even bio-cellulose, and Sony is simply leaving out the LCP from the specs sheets for marketing purposes "Look, the EX1000 is special".

I thought the same thing.  I'm pretty sure the MDR7550/EX800 said 'multi-layer polymer'.  So you could read that either way.  The 600 and 1000 do have a similar signature but whether that means they have the same driver or are just tuned for that house sound is another question.  There is certainly a proficiency difference between the three models but tis hard to say whether it's driver or acoustic treatment.  The nuances and added detail of the 1000 certainly make it seem like a better driver.  Otherwise Sony is gimping the 7550 and 600 drivers since they do sound less technically capable.  Then there's the cable question but I digress.  I believe I recall someone linking that the 600 wasn't LCP, not sure though.  

They certainly aren't bio-cellulose as I'm quite familiar with what those sound like.  I've had the CDR2K for almost a decade and a half and remember the GR07's sound.

Jul 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3,521 of 16,931

Quote:

They certainly aren't bio-cellulose as I'm quite familiar with what those sound like.  I've had the CDR2K for almost a decade and a half and remember the GR07's sound.

wow, a decade and a half! now that is something, my first impression of you was some 21 year old audio enthusiast kid that likes metal Lol :wink:

Ok, thanks for confirming it's not bio-cel, I admit I am theorizing a bit too much and need to find a sonystyle store, I am optimistic about the EX600 but can't spend $200 on them when I already own the EX700 :/ 

Jul 12, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3,522 of 16,931
EX600 and 7550s are multi-layer film diaphragm drivers, whereas the EX1000 uses a liquid crystal polymer driver. I think all 3 are using very similar tuning but the driver difference will most likely occur between the EX600/7550 (which most likely use the same one) vs the EX1000. In addition, the 7550s do seem to have an output limitation ala GR07 that compresses it's dynamic range and it's a tuning choice due to it's purpose. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #3,524 of 16,931
That article is wrong, the official Sony box says it's a multi layer diaphragm. It is also the same on the offical Sony Japan website, I wouldn't trust articles such as those, they certainly got that wrong. EX510 (though in a smaller configuration), EX600 and EX7550/800ST use what Sony label as ML (Multi-layer film) in their diaphragms which involves very thin cuts of polymer. The EX1000 uses a distinctively different driver. 

edit: lol it even says the EX600 uses magnesium housing....

Jul 12, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #3,525 of 16,931
Edit: ok ok fine that article is just posting the ex1000 specs and I was misled/being optimistic hoping Sony put their best driver in the cheap ex600 :/ :/

I'm still confused how the EX600 can apparently sound so much better than the EX700 if they are both using the same ML polyethene type driver, and the EX700 even has magnesium inner-housing which should lean it more in favour of the EX1000, but the EX700 is harsh and has weak imaging, is it the shape of the housing? different filters? I cannot rest! Sorry.

I don't mean to hype the EX600 I realise there are other offerings out there like the cheaper and more snug GR07, and james444 has pointed out that it's a "romantic" IEM and CK10/ER-4P lovers might not rate it very highly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back