Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 10, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #3,497 of 16,931

Quote:
The FIIO is probably unnecessary but otherwise fine. CC51 doesn't respond to amping nearly as much as an Xcape IE or RE0.

Thanks.
redface.gif

Jul 11, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #3,498 of 16,931

Quote:
mmm ... now that my XCape-IE is on its way, i'm nervous to see where my old ex300 stands just as a reference to compare ~ and much more nervous to find out just how good the ex1000 is as well as where Sony still has room to improve.  I got my 300's on sale at $60 and still feel like a relative with the MeElec M9 got a much better deal, hehe...

The EX1000 is not perfect but it's very good. The EX300 isn't bad either - it's a bit old and the MSRP is too high but it's still a noticeable step above modern entry-level IEMs.

Quote:
[Wish List - Spiral Ear 5-Way Custom, lol]

Welcome to the club 
tongue.gif

Quote:
@ljokerl
How's the Xears TD-III V2 compared to XE200PRO? Which one is better? :)

Not sure either is better. The XE200PRO is a bit more balanced, lacking the heavy midrange emphasis of the TDIII, and seems to have a slightly wider soundstage as a result. I actually prefer the TD-III as it has a very uniquely musical signature with high intelligibility but might rate the XE200 higher in technical proficiency. I quite like the Nature N3i as well - that one's got very surprising clarity and falls between the XE200 and TD-III in balance.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #3,499 of 16,931

Quote:
Not sure either is better. The XE200PRO is a bit more balanced, lacking the heavy midrange emphasis of the TDIII, and seems to have a slightly wider soundstage as a result. I actually prefer the TD-III as it has a very uniquely musical signature with high intelligibility but might rate the XE200 higher in technical proficiency. I quite like the Nature N3i as well - that one's got very surprising clarity and falls between the XE200 and TD-III in balance.

Thanks a lot, I will opt for TD-III v2 then :) One last question - do they suffer driver flex as much as previous generation?

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #3,500 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks a lot, I will opt for TD-III v2 then :) One last question - do they suffer driver flex as much as previous generation?

Yes. I think in that respect the XE200 might have a (very small) advantage. The XE200 and CP100iP suffer the least flex of all the Xears earphones although it's still there. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #3,501 of 16,931
joker
1) is there any reason to get the audio-tech ck10 if i already own the B2/dba-02?
the main difference i see is build quality and maybe a bit more isolation
would you consider the re0 being a good rival to those as it's for the er4s?

2) im planning to get the yuin ok1 , if they are quite different from the B2.
as for isolation i dont really care about the ok1, mainly using them as a earbud. but i'm a bit concerned about their bass and soundstage
and also it's not completly clear to me what you mentioned about the vocals (female). is it like the westone 1 or even much better?

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #3,502 of 16,931
Would be interesting to see the ex1000 on the list.
biggrin.gif

Joker, how the EX1000 compares to other top-tiers? Like CK10, CK100, SM3, W4?

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #3,504 of 16,931

Quote:
I think he's going to listen to them for a while first, but Anaxilus says the EX1000 is better than the CK10, CK100, SM3 and W4.

Yes, probably the ex1000 is better, but i would be happy to see ex1000 in the list, to have an idea of how much better they are.

Jul 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #3,505 of 16,931

Quote:
I think he's going to listen to them for a while first, but Anaxilus says the EX1000 is better than the CK10, CK100, SM3 and W4.

For my ears and gears.  Haven't heard the CK100 just to be clear.

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #3,506 of 16,931
Oh okay, btw here's what mike from headfonia had to say "The Sony is similar to the Audio Technica CK100 sound, but with a better tonal balance, soundstage, and without the signature BA transients".

He also says the Sony reminds him of the R10 headphone, and is better than the JH16 in high-quality jazz and classical recordings... pretty collossal accolades there to say the least.

I still think the EX600 is the gem though, perhaps Sony was already familiar with mass-producing magnesium-alloy housings (see their camera called A900), but shifting production from Japan to Thailand cuts huge costs, and both models use the same driver.  Also noted is the EX1000 uses a 7N OFC cable versus a regular OFC in the EX600, but not everyone thinks 7N sounds better, right Anaxilus? :wink:

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #3,508 of 16,931

Quote:

I still think the EX600 is the gem though, perhaps Sony was already familiar with mass-producing magnesium-alloy housings (see their camera called A900), but shifting production from Japan to Thailand cuts huge costs, and both models use the same driver.  Also noted is the EX1000 uses a 7N OFC cable versus a regular OFC in the EX600, but not everyone thinks 7N sounds better, right Anaxilus? :wink:

Yes and no.  
tongue.gif
wink.gif

They aren't exactly the same drivers btw.  Despite the size similarity I believe the EX600 are not LCP.

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #3,509 of 16,931

Quote:
joker
1) is there any reason to get the audio-tech ck10 if i already own the B2/dba-02?
the main difference i see is build quality and maybe a bit more isolation
would you consider the re0 being a good rival to those as it's for the er4s?

2) im planning to get the yuin ok1 , if they are quite different from the B2.
as for isolation i dont really care about the ok1, mainly using them as a earbud. but i'm a bit concerned about their bass and soundstage
and also it's not completly clear to me what you mentioned about the vocals (female). is it like the westone 1 or even much better?

I probably wouldn't bother with the CK10 if you own one of the DBA rebrands. The RE0 is a good rival to pretty much anything, it just misses out here and there compared to something like the CK10. I can still go back and forth without saying 'well this sounds like crap' (which is what happens when the CK10 goes up against something like the Klipsch S4 or Maximo iM-590). 

The OK1 is pretty different from anything else I've heard. The bass is not great and does roll off. You'll get more punch out of a good in-ear. The soundstage is fine. The OK1 is brighter than the Westone 1 so there are definitely differences in how instruments and vocals are presented.

Quote:
i've been looking forever for joker's impressions on the ex600. is it here on this thread? direct link? anyone? hehehe

I don't own the EX600 so don't expect a full review any time soon. I did get a short (<1 hr) listening session with them against the GR07 and EX1000. The EX1000 is clearly a step up in performance though they aren't very different in signature. Diminishing returns apply. I spent about half an hour trying to split the EX600 and GR07 on technical performance and couldn't. They are very close, which should give you an idea of how the EX600 would rank on my scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back