Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jul 2, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3,437 of 16,931
Quote:Originally Posted by G4Oblivion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please see this thread on ABI - http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62343

I'm not sure if they've changed clips or the cable, but I strongly recommend against removing it.
The risks outweigh the benefits.

If you don't mind breaking the clip I would definitely remove the clip. The CW31 has a clip that is easily removable and I still hope that they will produce a similar one for the CC51 - unfortunately the clip of the CW31 is not compatible with the CC51. While most reviewers say, that removing the clip can damage the cable, they still do it, so I guesstimate that they share my concerns about leaving it. 
@ljokerl: What is your opinion regarding this?

Quote:
SP51 has the same dangerous Shirt Clip and it didn't damage my cable.

EDIT: The cable is thin? I don't see that considering that it's between the thickness of the SP51 and the M Series cable.

Doesn't the cable of the SP51 have a hard coating? The coating of the CC51 is rather soft IMHO.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #3,438 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by G4Oblivion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Please see this thread on ABI - http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62343

I'm not sure if they've changed clips or the cable, but I strongly recommend against removing it.
The risks outweigh the benefits.

If you don't mind breaking the clip I would definitely remove the clip. The CW31 has a clip that is easily removable and I still hope that they will produce a similar one for the CC51 - unfortunately the clip of the CW31 is not compatible with the CC51. While most reviewers say, that removing the clip can damage the cable, they still do it, so I guesstimate that they share my concerns about leaving it. 
@ljokerl: What is your opinion regarding this?

Quote:
SP51 has the same dangerous Shirt Clip and it didn't damage my cable.

EDIT: The cable is thin? I don't see that considering that it's between the thickness of the SP51 and the M Series cable.

Doesn't the cable of the SP51 have a hard coating? The coating of the CC51 is rather soft IMHO.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,439 of 16,931
Just wanted to thank |joker| for all his hard work on these reviews.  I've had quite a few recommendations made to me as a new guy, but the best recommendation was to come to this thread.  It really helped me pick out a new set of IEM's that I'm sure I'll be very happy with.  Thanks again.

Jul 3, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #3,440 of 16,931

Quote:
wow, thank you for your incredible work on these reviews.

i am looking to replace my full-size cans - beyer dt-770 pro (80 ohm), I have $250 to spend on iems,  out of all of these iems does anyone have an idea of which of these has a similar sound / bass response?

I have read through all of these reviews and narrowed down the selection, but it is still difficult to differentiate between them w/o actually hearing them.

I've only heard the DT770/250 and that had pretty flat and controlled bass. I did not like the hard-edged treble of the /250 a whole lot and I really can't be sure how the 80 ohm model compares but I would recommend something dynamic, on the neutral side of things in terms of tone, and maybe with a touch of bass boost. The bad news is that I can't think of anything that sounds exactly like that but I think the VSonic GR07 and Sony EX600 are both worth reading up on.

Quote:

As I said above, the SP51 does have a coated cable that cannot be damaged by the clip. Taking off the clip without damaging the cable on the CC51 is also possible - just pry the clip open a bit with a small flathead screwdriver. I took mine off because the cable noise wasn't particularly annoying. Definitely wasn't worried that leaving it on would damage the cable. I sent MEElec an email when I screwed up my original cable and they said they were working on it and offered to replace the earphone. I've tried the CW31 clip and it doesn't work - too loose on the CC51 cord.

Quote:
Just wanted to thank |joker| for all his hard work on these reviews.  I've had quite a few recommendations made to me as a new guy, but the best recommendation was to come to this thread.  It really helped me pick out a new set of IEM's that I'm sure I'll be very happy with.  Thanks again.

Thanks, much appreciated. Glad the thread was useful. Good choice with the MD - reasonable prices on those lately and they are an easy one to live with.

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #3,442 of 16,931
@Joker

Which customs would you recommend?

I'm currently using the CK10, which are great, apart from being slightly too bright for my taste. I'm looking for a similar sound signature to the CK10.

The 1964EARS appeal to me, I have read your review on them, however I'm still not sure.

My budget limit would be around £400 or $640.

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #3,443 of 16,931

Quote:
hey joker.
being the re0 a perfect rival to the er4s , then does it win over  the hf5 by far?

No... none of them are that far off from one another. Currently I prefer my ACS HF3 to my RE-ZERO.

Quote:
@Joker

Which customs would you recommend?

I'm currently using the CK10, which are great, apart from being slightly too bright for my taste. I'm looking for a similar sound signature to the CK10.

The 1964EARS appeal to me, I have read your review on them, however I'm still not sure.

My budget limit would be around £400 or $640.

You mean between the one custom I've heard in that price range
tongue.gif
?

Starkey makes a TWFK-based custom in that price range that I imagine wouldn't be all that different from the CK10 in signature. I think average_joe would be the person to ask as he's heard the CK10 (multiple times) and a good number of customs. I do not think the 1964-T is a very logical CK10 upgrade, being a touch more mid-centric and lacking emphasis at the low lows and high highs. That's not to say you won't like it, though.

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3,444 of 16,931
Just wanted to say a quick and big Thank-You .... Joker...

This thread helped a lot as I researched my first jump into IEMs. I know it took a lot of work and I'm sure there are a lot of folks reading it that haven't decided to join up or comment. You efforts are appreciated.

Oh and I decided on the Audeo PFE112's & AT-M50s for my starting point.

Thanx again.

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #3,445 of 16,931
Another thank you for this epic thread Joker. The thing that helped me the most when choosing my first "high end" iem's were not only the detailed reviews, but the comparison of your reviews in relation to your other really helped me narrow it down. I ended up with the Miles Davis Turbines and am very satisfied with my choice. Cheers!

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #3,446 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean between the one custom I've heard in that price range
tongue.gif
?

Starkey makes a TWFK-based custom in that price range that I imagine wouldn't be all that different from the CK10 in signature. I think average_joe would be the person to ask as he's heard the CK10 (multiple times) and a good number of customs. I do not think the 1964-T is a very logical CK10 upgrade, being a touch more mid-centric and lacking emphasis at the low lows and high highs. That's not to say you won't like it, though.

I'm having sibilance issues with the CK10, mostly with rock and metal. Trance however sounds outstanding, and have not experienced any sibilance.

I have also been interested in the Kozee Infinity X2 and X3, however can't find any reviews for the X2.

I much prefer trance over any other genre, though the highs can often be harsh with the CK10.
tongue.gif

EDIT - I noticed that rawrster preferred the 1964-T over the CK10 as an whole package.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539610/review-1964-ears-1964-t

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #3,447 of 16,931

Quote:
Just wanted to say a quick and big Thank-You .... Joker...

This thread helped a lot as I researched my first jump into IEMs. I know it took a lot of work and I'm sure there are a lot of folks reading it that haven't decided to join up or comment. You efforts are appreciated.

Oh and I decided on the Audeo PFE112's & AT-M50s for my starting point.

Quote:
Another thank you for this epic thread Joker. The thing that helped me the most when choosing my first "high end" iem's were not only the detailed reviews, but the comparison of your reviews in relation to your other really helped me narrow it down. I ended up with the Miles Davis Turbines and am very satisfied with my choice. Cheers!

Awesome, glad the thread was useful. Enjoy the IEMs!

Quote:
I'm having sibilance issues with the CK10, mostly with rock and metal. Trance however sounds outstanding, and have not experienced any sibilance.  
I have also been interested in the Kozee Infinity X2 and X3, however can't find any reviews for the X2.

The CK10 is not very sibilant for me unless it's present on the track. If you have a capable player you can try a narrow EQ cut around 8k to counteract the CK10's treble contour, though that's a little higher than sibilance usually presents. 

X3 does not seem CK10-like at all based on average_joe's impressions.  Don't think anyone has gone for the X2 yet.

Quote:
EDIT - I noticed that rawrster preferred the 1964-T over the CK10 as an whole package.

As do I, but I still don't think they are very similar in signature.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #3,449 of 16,931
I had the dba-02 and ck10 which I also liked but my 1964 T are a bid diferent. 1964 T sounds darker than those headphones. More bass on the T and more treble on those universals.

Quote:
@Joker

Thanks for your time and advice, I most definitely appreciate it.

I might take the gamble and purchase the kozee infinity X2, or reshell the CK10.

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #3,450 of 16,931
I find the CK10 to be slightly too bright at times, so maybe the 1964-T would be ideal.

Apparently the reshell will tame the highs.

I noticed that kozee only charge $90 for reshell, while 1964EARS charge $190.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back