Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 25, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,376 of 16,931

Quote:

I would say 3+ is reasonable, 4.5+ is borderline dangerous

popcorn.gif

can you explain that? is it good or bad?

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #3,377 of 16,931

Quote:
popcorn.gif

It depends on your environment and how much isolation you want. The earphones I use on my commute would probably be a 4.5-5 on Mike's point system since they are customs. That means isolation is very good and you would not be able to hear your surrounding very well. I am used to that so it's no big deal for me but if you were not it could potentially be dangerous if you are not aware of what is going on around you.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #3,378 of 16,931
mmm interesting. i dont like customs (at least not yet ready for them) but as i most use iem for bus travel or busy noisy street i want to get a better isolation. i've been using the pl50 they're really ok, but not enough as i can still hear some people conversation and they dont isolate from louder noises.
from joker's rating they're 3/5
i hope the B2 (being like the dba02 rated 4/5) will be better
and besides that i wanted to know for future purchases
thanks rawrster

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #3,379 of 16,931
The Brainwavz B2 has some of the best isolation in any earphone I've used. You can't get too much better isolation than those with the right tips. Lack of isolation is definitely not a problem with them.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #3,380 of 16,931

Quote:

It has its uses but when I'm wearing something that isolating outside I always feel that I won't hear a car until it hits me. I stopped wearing my ER4S outside after failing to hear an approaching fire engine.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #3,381 of 16,931

Quote:
The Brainwavz B2 has some of the best isolation in any earphone I've used. You can't get too much better isolation than those with the right tips. Lack of isolation is definitely not a problem with them.

that's great news!
biggrin.gif

which tips to you use? the stock ones?

Quote:

It has its uses but when I'm wearing something that isolating outside I always feel that I won't hear a car until it hits me. I stopped wearing my ER4S outside after failing to hear an approaching fire engine.

wow! now i get what you mean by dangerous, just be careful! but seems to eliminate completely buses and motorbikes engines. is it just because of the ety's triplets? or does the deep insertion helps (a lot) ?
thanks for the info

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #3,382 of 16,931
Now that's hardcore man. I got the best isolation with the Xcape v2/IE (with single flanges) but it's nowhere near that level. I was thinking about getting an HF5 for my girlfriend, because her ears are really small, and it has smaller nozzle than the Xcape. So I thought it would be more comfortable for her with the Olives. But I'm not sure if the isolation is really that much better.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #3,384 of 16,931

Quote:
wow! now i get what you mean by dangerous, just be careful! but seems to eliminate completely buses and motorbikes engines. is it just because of the ety's triplets? or does the deep insertion helps (a lot) ? thanks for the info

Deep insertion, well-sealing tips, and a fully sealed driver are all factors.

Quote:
Now that's hardcore man. I got the best isolation with the Xcape v2/IE (with single flanges) but it's nowhere near that level. I was thinking about getting an HF5 for my girlfriend, because her ears are really small, and it has smaller nozzle than the Xcape. So I thought it would be more comfortable for her with the Olives. But I'm not sure if the isolation is really that much better.

HF5 isolates significantly more than an Xcape. There are a lot of earphones that have thinner Nozzles than the Xcape - don't necessarily have to go to a deep-seal Ety for that.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #3,387 of 16,931

Quote:
If anyone has checked out my spreadsheet of joker's stats, I'd like to know what your impression or feedback is.... It has become quite exciting considering it's a fun-spare-time-thing...

It really is fun to "play with."  The same 10 or so are pretty much stuck at the top unless you drastically change the sound quality weight haha.
You did good and I applaud the time you took to type that all out since his table is an image. Glad you froze the top rows haha.

As far as feedback goes:
  1. I think I noticed when I looked at it a while back that a score or two didn't coincide with joker's table which unless people notice won't be changed and might affect the results, e.g. the VSONIC GR07 value score is 8.0 when it should be 9.5 (I know, transposing numbers is a bitch). Value scores aren't taken into account by default but if someone chooses to, it could result in problem for them if its an IEM they are considering.
  2. You could maybe format it a bit towards drawing the users eye to the relevant cells, especially for people not used to spreadsheets.
  3. You can write some VBA code to automatically re-sort the results after any cell changes (i.e. weights). Then again though, people are suspicious when excel warns them against possibly enabling harmful macro's when opening up a file they just downloaded over the internet. Maybe the same can be done through a pivot table but I'm pretty out of touch with them.

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #3,388 of 16,931
My numbers were drawn from the text reviews after re-re-re-checking the table got to me... I'm not sure how joker updates the visual readout, but sure he's quite busy as is. 

As for sort, the vba macro issue is a bummer, but if you select the range A6:Mxx where "xx" is the last data row (currently row 182) the sort function sorts by 1.Highest Final Score; 2.Highest Sound Score; 3.Highest Price (assuming quite asininely that higher $ is indication of quality/prestige)

I could zero-weight the VAL column in the master formula to dummy-proof the adjustable weights since VAL is subjective - although I'm more confident of joker's guesses than some people's "facts."

Making the sheet neat, clean, and linear was my main goal. But then the target users are most likely dataheads.

tx

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3,389 of 16,931
Nice eye for the VSonic number. Whenever I put up an update, prolly next weekend it'll be reflected. No time atm, but I have 177 in the .xlsx and joker says 178 models in thread. I'll fix it next time.

Quote:
It really is fun to "play with."  The same 10 or so are pretty much stuck at the top unless you drastically change the sound quality weight haha.
You did good and I applaud the time you took to type that all out since his table is an image. Glad you froze the top rows haha.

As far as feedback goes:
  1. I think I noticed when I looked at it a while back that a score or two didn't coincide with joker's table which unless people notice won't be changed and might affect the results, e.g. the VSONIC GR07 value score is 8.0 when it should be 9.5 (I know, transposing numbers is a bitch). Value scores aren't taken into account by default but if someone chooses to, it could result in problem for them if its an IEM they are considering.
  2. You could maybe format it a bit towards drawing the users eye to the relevant cells, especially for people not used to spreadsheets.
  3. You can write some VBA code to automatically re-sort the results after any cell changes (i.e. weights). Then again though, people are suspicious when excel warns them against possibly enabling harmful macro's when opening up a file they just downloaded over the internet. Maybe the same can be done through a pivot table but I'm pretty out of touch with them.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #3,390 of 16,931
Joker might change a good portion of the data after the UM Miracle review. Should be fun lol.

Good point on the dataheads. I agree with not zero weighting the VAL in the master formula.

I had a bit of free time just now and, having the same mentality as your "fun-spare-time-thing," already wrote the VBA code that autosorts for myself. If anyone wants it, I can upload it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back