Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #3,151 of 16,931
As someone who listens to rock (Collective Soul, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, The Beatles, McCartney), pop (Tear for Fears, INXS, etc), some jazz, some classical, some Indian classical and some Indie, and loves finding minor details in the songs without it being muddied by faux bass & treble... and wants to use it with his iPhone 4, thus with a mic.

Should I buy the Etymotic HR3 with it's 3 button remote with ACS custom tips, the Shure SE315 and get the 3 button remote cable, the UE Triple Fi 10 and get the 10vi cable from somewhere (no triple buttons here) or get something else?

I use the mic a *lot*, at least 20 minutes a day, so I need a pair with a good mic. The Triple Fi's mic is apparently pretty lame. It's one of the reasons I original went with the ADDIEM.

My current headphone/earphone selection is rather pathetic. ADDIEM for iPhone usage, Grado SR80 for in-home. I have a MEElectronics headphone with mic, which I dislike for their artificialness and I used to like my Nu NE7M before I lost them.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #3,152 of 16,931

Quote:
For those who are curious to play with the scores and ratings in the chart, carfentanil was nice enough to create an updated table with variable weighting. It can be downloaded here.

Which iMetal? The iM-590 is way above the other two you've listed. If it's the 490 or 390, I'd go for the M9.

+1 I'm a big fan on the 590's

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #3,154 of 16,931
It's the new TDIII v2 version with textile cable. But, the code KLANGFUZZIS still works and you can get it for €30 + shipping (€8). Interestingly, it says "Textile J-Cable" on the front page and "symmetric Y-cable" on the product page.

The web site and eBay prices keep fluctuating between €20 and €90 all the time (depending on stock / demand-supply / Thomas' mood? - I have no idea).

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3,155 of 16,931
There's a new XE200 as well. Having had the TD100 and CP100ip(same shape housing as XE200), I would go with the XE200 over the TDIII V2 myself.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Xears-Experience-XE200PRO-Holz-Highend-Ear-Kopfhorer-/300562591910?pt=MP3_Player_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item45faed30a6

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #3,156 of 16,931

Quote:
As someone who listens to rock (Collective Soul, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, The Beatles, McCartney), pop (Tear for Fears, INXS, etc), some jazz, some classical, some Indian classical and some Indie, and loves finding minor details in the songs without it being muddied by faux bass & treble... and wants to use it with his iPhone 4, thus with a mic.

Should I buy the Etymotic HR3 with it's 3 button remote with ACS custom tips, the Shure SE315 and get the 3 button remote cable, the UE Triple Fi 10 and get the 10vi cable from somewhere (no triple buttons here) or get something else?

I use the mic a *lot*, at least 20 minutes a day, so I need a pair with a good mic. The Triple Fi's mic is apparently pretty lame. It's one of the reasons I original went with the ADDIEM.

My current headphone/earphone selection is rather pathetic. ADDIEM for iPhone usage, Grado SR80 for in-home. I have a MEElectronics headphone with mic, which I dislike for their artificialness and I used to like my Nu NE7M before I lost them.

I've never heard the SE315 and the HF5 and TripleFis don't sound anything alike. If you like the ADDIEM I'd go with the Etys. The Ety mic is certainly very nice but I've not tried the UE mic. The only other higher-end headsets I can think of right now are the Senn IE8i (3-button), Nocs NS800 (3-button), Phonak Pfe (1-button) and Turbine Pro w/ controltalk (1-button), as well as all of the other Shures.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3,157 of 16,931

Quote:

I've never heard the SE315 and the HF5 and TripleFis don't sound anything alike. If you like the ADDIEM I'd go with the Etys. The Ety mic is certainly very nice but I've not tried the UE mic. The only other higher-end headsets I can think of right now are the Senn IE8i (3-button), Nocs NS800 (3-button), Phonak Pfe (1-button) and Turbine Pro w/ controltalk (1-button), as well as all of the other Shures.

Thanks for the suggestions and input, ljokerl! I think I'll go with the Etys. Probably spring for the ACS/Microsonic custom tips.

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #3,158 of 16,931
Or the AKG K3003
biggrin.gif
 (it's still misplaced to the full-size forums)

Jun 7, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3,159 of 16,931
I'm curious why |joker| hasn't reviewed any of the Shure IEMs.
How high up would you guys think the Shure SE215 (and the SE315) would be on Comparisons by Numbers list?

Higher than the MEElectronics A151?

Jun 7, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #3,160 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm curious why |joker| hasn't reviewed any of the Shure IEMs.

He is currently reviewing the SE530 and the SE535.
But for the story, he didn't have a great experience when he first tested some Shure IEM and that's why he never bothered reviewing them without having the opportunity for it (probably someone lent him the 530 & 535).

Jun 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #3,161 of 16,931
Hey Joker,
Would be VERY interested to see your review of the Miracles as I have just purchased a set of these myself, am just waiting on delivery.
Also I'm sure someone else has already offered, but if you would like a set of UE Triple.Fi 10's to review, I can send you my ones once my UM's arrive if you like :D.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #3,162 of 16,931
I think it's time for a FAQ in post #8

Why no Shure reviews?
When are you going to review TF10?
When is UM Miracle review coming?

.... and so on. A large part of the problem is not many can read all the 200+ pages to know that these have been answered already. If someone new starts following this thread much later, these questions bound to come up.

@Acesi7,

ljokerl owns TF10, but priority is given to manufacturer review samples and loaner pairs as a result of which, the IEMs he owns gets pushed down the order.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #3,164 of 16,931

Quote:
Or the AKG K3003
biggrin.gif
 (it's still misplaced to the full-size forums)

Thanks for the link. A top-tier IEM from AKG? A bit wary of that since they don't seem to have perfected the mid-range IEM yet.

Quote:
He is currently reviewing the SE530 and the SE535.
But for the story, he didn't have a great experience when he first tested some Shure IEM and that's why he never bothered reviewing them without having the opportunity for it (probably someone lent him the 530 & 535).

Thanks

Quote:
Hey Joker,
Would be VERY interested to see your review of the Miracles as I have just purchased a set of these myself, am just waiting on delivery.
Also I'm sure someone else has already offered, but if you would like a set of UE Triple.Fi 10's to review, I can send you my ones once my UM's arrive if you like :D.

Same story with the miracles as with the TF10 - they keep getting delayed until I finish all the reviews of loans and manufacturer samples. 

Quote:
I think it's time for a FAQ in post #8

Why no Shure reviews?
When are you going to review TF10?
When is UM Miracle review coming?

.... and so on. A large part of the problem is not many can read all the 200+ pages to know that these have been answered already. If someone new starts following this thread much later, these questions bound to come up.

@Acesi7,

ljokerl owns TF10, but priority is given to manufacturer review samples and loaner pairs as a result of which, the IEMs he owns gets pushed down the order.

I could put the FAQ on the to-do list but then it will just keep getting put off 
tongue.gif
. I'm sure the answers to all of the questions have been written out by myself and others; just a matter of finding them. 

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3,165 of 16,931
hey ljokerl, I'm not sure if someone asked this, but how would you compare the Westone 4 to the 1964 triples? I am still thoroughly debating between the two. I have custom tips for my sennheiser ie8s, so I'm a bit used to the whole customs process, but how would you compare the two in terms of sound, isolation, cost to value ratio, etc. Also, which one would you recommend more. Again, i'm sorry if someone has asked this before. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back