Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jun 3, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #3,136 of 16,931
Quote:
The IE6 looks really nice. How good is the isolation on the 1-5 scale?

Better than expected for a vented dynamic. There's also Sen CT6 which is the same driver, but closed design - sacrificing a bit of soundstage for a bit better isolation.
(but this model has a faux-chrome that wears off from what I hear)

Short version: muffles all sound > 2kHz, 1.5/3 of my "sticking fingers in ears benchmark" (which is 3/3, there can be higher notes) isolation score.
At the topmost end it's about -20 dB.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #3,137 of 16,931

Quote:
Look at the Radius DDM and you got your answer.

Ouch. Looks like these won't be the ones.

Quote:
There's also Sen CT6 which is the same driver, but closed design - sacrificing a bit of soundstage for a bit better isolation.

Oh yeah? Thanks, I'll check them out. I can do without soundstage in an IEM.

Jun 3, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #3,138 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey Joker, I hate to ask a question like this, but is there any ETA on the Shure reviews? I just got a pair of SE530s and while I like them, they're quite uncomfortable. I'd love to know how you describe the sound so I can reference your other reviews in order to see where to move next. I've been staying away from Westone and Earsonics multi-driver IEMs mostly due to their description of mid-centricness but I (mostly) like what I hear on the SE530, so if this is what midcentricity sounds like I can probably deal. Also, how large are the Westone and Earsonics multi-driver IEMs (UM3x, Westone 3, SM2/SM3) compared to the SE530? The Shures are very large and don't quite sit nicely in my ear. I'm also not sure if I'm using the smallest tips since I got mine secondhand and the smallest soft flex tips are irritating my canals (they look like they're small but they're probably mediums). Thanks!

I'll try to get them up next week. I actually found the SE530 very comfortable - more so than the W3/W4. If you have trouble with the shell size of the SE530, I would definitely stay away from those as well as from the v.1 SM3/SM2 and even UM3X. The W1/W2 are smaller than the SE530. 

Quote:
The IE6 looks really nice. How good is the isolation on the 1-5 scale?

Not great but a little better than the IE7/IE8. Probably 3/5.

Jun 3, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #3,139 of 16,931
I think I just have small ears - the mold of the SE530 doesn't quite conform to the shape of my pinna. The angle of my ear canal has a lot to do with it, since when the IEM is inserted the shell kind of "sticks out" a bit outwards. This is one reason why i like the GR07 so much. So you're saying the SM2/SM3/UM3X/Westone 3 are all about the same shell size? The Westone 3 looks a little thinner and sleeker so that may work out for me. The "bulb" of the SE530 starts to irritate my ears after a couple hours, and they're kind of heavy so that probably contributes. I'm also not sure about the tip size - how do the Shure small tips compare to tips of other companies, like the GR07, Phonak Audeo, etc? My ear canals are getting irritated which is a sign that the tips are too big.

I wish I could find a picture comparing multi-driver IEMs side by side, but Google is coming up short re: SE530 vs W3. Oh well. It's too bad because I've been listening to the SE530 all day and they sound pretty damn good for the price I paid. I don't think they're worth the MSRP price or new price but used prices are low enough that the value proposition is pretty good nowadays.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #3,140 of 16,931
look forward to reviewing the Audio-Technica CKM99 and Audio-Technica CKS90
beerchug.gif

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #3,141 of 16,931

Quote:
I think I just have small ears - the mold of the SE530 doesn't quite conform to the shape of my pinna. The angle of my ear canal has a lot to do with it, since when the IEM is inserted the shell kind of "sticks out" a bit outwards. This is one reason why i like the GR07 so much. So you're saying the SM2/SM3/UM3X/Westone 3 are all about the same shell size? The Westone 3 looks a little thinner and sleeker so that may work out for me. The "bulb" of the SE530 starts to irritate my ears after a couple hours, and they're kind of heavy so that probably contributes. I'm also not sure about the tip size - how do the Shure small tips compare to tips of other companies, like the GR07, Phonak Audeo, etc? My ear canals are getting irritated which is a sign that the tips are too big.

I wish I could find a picture comparing multi-driver IEMs side by side, but Google is coming up short re: SE530 vs W3. Oh well. It's too bad because I've been listening to the SE530 all day and they sound pretty damn good for the price I paid. I don't think they're worth the MSRP price or new price but used prices are low enough that the value proposition is pretty good nowadays.

The SE530 has the best combination of length vs thickness out of  the Westone/Earsonics v1 earphones for me. The W3 is definitely neither thinner nor sleeker than the SE530. Its housing is a little shorter, though. The SE535 is a little sleeker but it has other issues. There's a pic of the SE530 next to a UM3X in this thread, though it's not a very good one. Really, there's no way ahead of time to know whether one of the other ergo-monitors will fit you better but counting on them being much different in overall size is not a good idea.

Shure small tips are actually pretty small but in your case it might be worth it to splurge for small olives. Sound-wise I really wasn't impressed with the SE530. I'd characterize it as great in the midrange, okay elsewhere, which is not really good enough by today's standards. 

Jun 3, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #3,142 of 16,931
Hey guys, do you know where we can purchase the Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape v1? I checked both lendmeurears and budgenaudio but had no luck as both sites are out of stock! I wouldn't mind settling in for the v2 aswell but where can we find authorised and legit resellers of this product? Can someone also tell me the difference b/n the newer and older one? Thanks!

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3,143 of 16,931
Quote:
Hey guys, do you know where we can purchase the Sunrise Audio SW-Xcape v1? I checked both lendmeurears and budgenaudio but had no luck as both sites are out of stock! I wouldn't mind settling in for the v2 aswell but where can we find authorised and legit resellers of this product? Can someone also tell me the difference b/n the newer and older one? Thanks!

You can't... the v1 has been discontinued. I haven't personally heard the v2 but it's supposed to be quite different. I think ClieOS reviewed it so just look for his Xcape v2 review thread. There are two new Sunrise products out as well - the Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition. You can find my early thoughts on them in this thread (to be updated soon).

Jun 4, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #3,144 of 16,931
Thanks joker, so where could I purchase them from? and would you say they are better overall in comparison to the v2's and 1's?

Quote:
Quote:

You can't... the v1 has been discontinued. I haven't personally heard the v2 but it's supposed to be quite different. I think ClieOS reviewed it so just look for his Xcape v2 review thread. There are two new Sunrise products out as well - the Xcited and Xcape Impressive Edition. You can find my early thoughts on them in this thread (to be updated soon).

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #3,146 of 16,931

Quote:
Thanks joker, so where could I purchase them from? and would you say they are better overall in comparison to the v2's and 1's?

I think they should be available from lendmeurears pretty soon. I don't think they are better than the V1s, just different. I posted my finalized review earlier today.

Jun 4, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #3,147 of 16,931
I've been doing frequency test and bass, midrange, and treble test on my SP51. It really works. The treble sounds slightly more extensive than before. The midrange sounds a bit more open. Finally, the bass is thumping and even slightly deeper than before. This was all done on the Enhanced Bass Port.

Jun 4, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,148 of 16,931
Anybody on here who knows what "natural" sound is like, which is better suited for me: meelectronics m16, meelectronics m9, or maximo imetal?  Those are my three choices and they're pretty cheap on this website I checked:) I tried crossreferencing all the reviews but they just got me confused.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #3,149 of 16,931
For those who are curious to play with the scores and ratings in the chart, carfentanil was nice enough to create an updated table with variable weighting. It can be downloaded here.

Quote:
Anybody on here who knows what "natural" sound is like, which is better suited for me: meelectronics m16, meelectronics m9, or maximo imetal?  Those are my three choices and they're pretty cheap on this website I checked:) I tried crossreferencing all the reviews but they just got me confused.

Which iMetal? The iM-590 is way above the other two you've listed. If it's the 490 or 390, I'd go for the M9.

Jun 4, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3,150 of 16,931

Quote:
For those who are curious to play with the scores and ratings in the chart, carfentanil was nice enough to create an updated table with variable weighting. It can be downloaded here.

Which iMetal? The iM-590 is way above the other two you've listed. If it's the 490 or 390, I'd go for the M9.

Yow that was fast.  Many thanks.  Yep, it's the 390.  m9 it is then.  FINALLY PURCHASING TIME!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back