Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #2,971 of 16,931
Thanks for the help Joker. The M2's were available on Amazon until a few weeks ago, and I'm not sure when they'll be back. I'm pretty sure I'm between the M2's and the NE-700X at this point, especially since both resemble my JVC's in sound.

May 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2,973 of 16,931

Quote:
what I meant by that is that the cables tuck behind my ear and dont move out of place. with the ear guides, I cant keep them in place when moving around since they are too big for my ears to pinch tight. I end up having to readjust the phonak guides more often than without them..

Ahhh.  It hadn't occurred to me that the ear guides might not fit different ear sizes.

May 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2,974 of 16,931
@Joker

Thanks for you time and advice, I most definitely appreciate it.

Were your CK10's purchased second-hand? That may be why you can't hear sibilance, after 20H burn-in I'm finding the sibilance to become less apparent.

May 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #2,975 of 16,931
Hello, I got a question, currently I am using the panasonic hje 900 as my daily drivers, but I used to listen to the FA eterna, I do like them both but I like more the eterna, mostly because their engaging sound and their isolation, Any recomendations to upgrade, my budget is 150 to 170 and I listen to specially trash and metalcore and post harcore and post grundge. I was thinking about the RE 256 but I am afraid that my zune hd and my xperia 10 wont be able to drive them with out an amp.

May 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2,976 of 16,931
Quote:
I might be thinking about getting a new universal and was wondering how the GR07 compares to the more expensive Ortofon e-Q5 for example. Thanks.

Quite well overall although they are different sound signatures

Quote:
@Joker

Were your CK10's purchased second-hand? That may be why you can't hear sibilance, after 20H burn-in I'm finding the sibilance to become less apparent.

More like fourth-hand. 

May 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #2,977 of 16,931
Hi |joker|, do you mind a follow up question? I had gotten the impression that both had a certain clarity, but now that I go back and look at mark2410's review, it sounds as though the GR07 has a slight V shape, though adequate highs, where the e-Q5 is going to be flatter overall with a good mid-range. Would that be accurate?

May 13, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #2,978 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi |joker|, do you mind a follow up question? I had gotten the impression that both had a certain clarity, but now that I go back and look at mark2410's review, it sounds as though the GR07 has a slight V shape, though adequate highs, where the e-Q5 is going to be flatter overall with a good mid-range. Would that be accurate?

Personally, I wouldn't say the GR07 has a v-shape.  If anything it's just a bit warm with the mids.  But then, I don't have many headphones to compare to. :p

May 13, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,979 of 16,931
hey so im looking for new headphones since my skullcnadies inkd broke and now im stuck with the apple ones =-(, btw those are the only 2 headphones ive ever owned so i dont know much about this, i loved the skullcandies though,i mostly listen to Children of bodom, metallica, messhugah, iron maiden, august burns red, as blood runs black, pantera, across the sun, after the burial etc... you get it jajaj all types of metal and well ive read alot of comments in here and found the Klipsch - Image S4,Brainwavz M2 among other like im-590, etymotic mc5 etc... were great for this type of music but i dont know, so what do you think and for sound well i dont know i guess i like a little bit of everything i cant really tell much specifics about audio, just that i want good sounding headphones XD i can spend 50 bucks a little more wouldnt kill me if its worth the extra money, just a little though jajaj.

May 13, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,980 of 16,931

Quote:
hey so im looking for new headphones since my skullcnadies inkd broke and now im stuck with the apple ones =-(, btw those are the only 2 headphones ive ever owned so i dont know much about this, i loved the skullcandies though,i mostly listen to Children of bodom, metallica, messhugah, iron maiden, august burns red, as blood runs black, pantera, across the sun, after the burial etc... you get it jajaj all types of metal and well ive read alot of comments in here and found the Klipsch - Image S4,Brainwavz M2 among other like im-590, etymotic mc5 etc... were great for this type of music but i dont know, so what do you think and for sound well i dont know i guess i like a little bit of everything i cant really tell much specifics about audio, just that i want good sounding headphones XD i can spend 50 bucks a little more wouldnt kill me if its worth the extra money, just a little though jajaj.

I'd recommend the maximo im590's in a heartbeat.. Great little set of IEM's that will always get listening time from me no matter how expensive my rig gets. Just some really fun IEM's.. 

May 13, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #2,981 of 16,931
Added two new Xears releases - the Resonance and the PS120PRO

Quote:

Calling the GR07 v-shaped is a bit strong IMO. It does not have forward mids but 'v-shaped' implies a certain amount of bass and treble dominance, which is not the case with the GR07. That said, the e-Q5 probably is flatter overall and also a bit mid-centric, like e-Q7. It's warmer in the midrange than the GR07 and provides a more musical presentation compared to the dryer, more monitor-like VSonics.

Quote:

Nearly anything is an upgrade to the Ink'd buds. I  would not recommend the S4 as it's just not good enough for the usual asking price or the MC5, due to its signature. The iM-590 and M2 are both good all-rounders, or the Fischer Silver Bullet/ ECCI PR401 if you want to step up in price. You can also get the MEElec CC51 for $50 from overstock which is a pretty damn good price if you can get used to the fit. The SP51 may be another option.

May 14, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #2,982 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion :) Checked the reviews and they say its pretty stressful at the high end.

I saw the review. These seemed like more analytical than musical. I am looking at more musical earphones, sorry i did not mention that in my first post. I will add these as well in the consideration list.

As kunlun says and by the amazon reviews, I see a high failure rate on the turbine series in general(number of reviews to failure ratio). Thats why I put it at the second place in my first post. Waiting for some suggestions on the UM2 as well. :) Iam tired of searching tooo. I never read this much for my engineering exams or interviews :p

Joker, thanks for adding the Gr07 to the review list. Only making it more confusing for me to buy :frowning2: The reason I had removed the DDM from my reason is that they scored less on the other divisions like comfort/microphonics etc.

========================================================================================

After 2 more days of Reading :

Ok, here let me refine it so that you guys can suggest me better and accurately. Here is what I am looking at:

1) Bass of the CX 55 (Review here - http://realdeepsnow.com/?p=430 Please read this review, just 1st 2 paras.) I own this and I expect this much bass. Please assume the bass LEVEL based on that review. They are not very punchy, but bass is loud and undistorted, rumbles fine at low Hz w/o distortion. Its thicker than finer and does not decay very very fast and I like it that way. Am I a basshead?

2) Add wide sound stage and details to this CX55 mids which it slightly lacks. Mids should be slightly warm and details sud be there. Sounds should not merge at higher volume.
3) Make the highs clear and extended on the CX55 but not straining.
4) Remove the bad microphonics and thin cables from CX55.
5) I have a small ear canal and still the small sized earbuds of the cx55 were a lil tight fit. So big IEMs are a no no. I think I need to get used to this :)
6) They should be more musical(60%) than analytical(40%) and fun to hear and not boring. (For the sake of getting bored I have ordered the HD595 :wink: )

So here is the tuned list, based on suggestions from you guys and reviews from joker and amazon. 

1)Sub 100

a) XCape IE - Has good enough bass as cx55?
b) Silver Bullet - Has good enough bass as cx55?
c) Eterna
d) Ne 700X

2)100 to 200
a) GR07 - The Review is wonderful! Are these a little fun to listen. Is the bass strong enough?
b) Future sonic atrios -More analytical?

3) 200+
a) SM2 - IS this still available? I see the V2 is out.
b) Turbine copper - Afraid of high failure rate of turbines :frowning2:
c) UM2 - Any suggestions here?

I have described my preference to the BEST! Now which one do I buy :) Please help me out here. Going to a shop and testing out/sending back is not an option for me.

Thanks a ton.

I am not a Monster fan but when you have something that well distributed and purchased by non enthusiasts, you will get more negative reviews as folks tend to write more often about dissatisfaction. More sold means more failed and I bet you read reviews about lack of bass from inexperienced users coming from buds and not getting a seal.  All I'm saying is that

May 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,983 of 16,931
Added two new Xears releases - the Resonance and the PS120PRO

Calling the GR07 v-shaped is a bit strong IMO. It does not have forward mids but 'v-shaped' implies a certain amount of bass and treble dominance, which is not the case with the GR07. That said, the e-Q5 probably is flatter overall and also a bit mid-centric, like e-Q7. It's warmer in the midrange than the GR07 and provides a more musical presentation compared to the dryer, more monitor-like VSonics.

Thanks. I think I'll keep an eye on the for sale forum for the e-Q7 or e-Q5. Musical is more my preference.

May 14, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2,984 of 16,931

Quote:
@Joker

Was that "20H burn-in" done mostly whilst you were listening to them or did you leave them  burning in without listening to them and then after-wards notice the change in Sibilance? . Listening to High frequencies for long periods will certainly dampen your ears sensitivity to those high frequencies .

Quote:

More like fourth-hand. 

OK I will take the CK10's out of the parcel, as I was going to post them back tomorrow, and leave them "burning" in over night . I'd really like to calm down the high end and beef up the low end on the CK10's.

I definitely have acquired a love hate relationship with them . Love there quick response and mid - high mid range .Hate that on some  electronic/dance tracks they mask the low end bass to sub bass by a over pronounced  top end .

Do they have a mid to high frequency spike? !

EDIT: Dam though these things  fly.Either way there is no going back to westone 3 's  .Gonna white noise the CK10's for 24 hours and hear if they do actually burn in .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back