Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 6, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2,836 of 16,931
Okay, I promise this is my last question - and I'm sorry for being so anal ..

This is really more than I wanted to admit, and I hope no one thinks I'm crazy henceforth, but I actually suffer from OCD (or obsessive-compulsive disorder). It's insidious and effects every part of my life .. even simple decisions like buying a pair of ear phones.  

So basically, when I have an unreasonable phobia, I'll enact a compulsion to try and reassure myself that it won't come true. For example, I find myself pressing my earbuds against my ear to make sure that they couldn't touch my ear drum. Normally that isn't a problem because the body of the earbud on the cheap pair i'm using is too big to actually enter the ear.

But the body on the HF3 and MC5 actually looks pretty skinny, so I thought that it might be possible for it to enter the ear and for me to (accidentally) hurt myself if I pushed hard enough.

a) is that possible? and b) if the decision is causing me enough anxiety, is the sound-isolation on the ER6s (which appear to have bigger bodies) or even one of the other more shallow-fitting pairs you mentioned still significant enough that I'd be okay settling for one of those? 

ugh, I hate having to reveal what a nutjob I really am, but I thought it would be better to just be honest than make an expensive decision I regret  

May 6, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #2,837 of 16,931
Just wanted to comment on your review of the Maximo iM-590's.. They have changed the cable to one that is much, much less likely to get kinked, it is still cloth but much better. Also, they changed the headphone jack to one that is very similar to the jack on the MC5's.. both big improvements on the build quality..

Also, I found them kinda bass heavy, but I really like a more analytical sound sig, I guess.

May 6, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #2,838 of 16,931

Quote:

This is really more than I wanted to admit, and I hope no one thinks I'm crazy henceforth, but I actually suffer from OCD (or obsessive-compulsive disorder). It's insidious and effects every part of my life .. even simple decisions like buying a pair of ear phones.  

So basically, when I have an unreasonable phobia, I'll enact a compulsion to try and reassure myself that it won't come true. For example, I find myself pressing my earbuds against my ear to make sure that they couldn't touch my ear drum. Normally that isn't a problem because the body of the earbud on the cheap pair i'm using is too big to actually enter the ear.

But the body on the HF3 and MC5 actually looks pretty skinny, so I thought that it might be possible for it to enter the ear and for me to (accidentally) hurt myself if I pushed hard enough.

a) is that possible? and b) if the decision is causing me enough anxiety, is the sound-isolation on the ER6s (which appear to have bigger bodies) or even one of the other more shallow-fitting pairs you mentioned still significant enough that I'd be okay settling for one of those? 

ugh, I hate having to reveal what a nutjob I really am, but I thought it would be better to just be honest than make an expensive decision I regret  

I do not think your concern is justified - as someone mentioned on the previous page, your ear canal has a kink in it in before your ear drum. I would be more concerned about irritating your ears if you constantly jostle/adjust deep-sealing IEMs. Oh and the ER6i is not fatter than the MC5 - just a different shape.

And again, if that's really a big deal, I will reiterate my recommendation for the Phiaton PS200. You will not be able to push those very deep into your ear and the isolation should be more than sufficient for your uses.

Quote:
Just wanted to comment on your review of the Maximo iM-590's.. They have changed the cable to one that is much, much less likely to get kinked, it is still cloth but much better. Also, they changed the headphone jack to one that is very similar to the jack on the MC5's.. both big improvements on the build quality..

Also, I found them kinda bass heavy, but I really like a more analytical sound sig, I guess.

I am aware  of the build quality changes. However, they did not send me an updated unit to evaluate so I cannot make any relevant claims about the build. Also, first time I've heard the iM-590 called bass-heavy.

May 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #2,839 of 16,931

Quote:

I do not think your concern is justified - as someone mentioned on the previous page, your ear canal has a kink in it in before your ear drum. I would be more concerned about irritating your ears if you constantly jostle/adjust deep-sealing IEMs. Oh and the ER6i is not fatter than the MC5 - just a different shape.

And again, if that's really a big deal, I will reiterate my recommendation for the Phiaton PS200. You will not be able to push those very deep into your ear and the isolation should be more than sufficient for your uses.

Thanks so much for your reply. I'll research the Phiaton's.  

May 6, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #2,840 of 16,931

Interesting.. thank you for noting this.. the pair I've had for nearly a year are getting replaced due to heavy driver flex in the right ear channel.  How recent is this change in build quality?

I wouldn't consider the 590s bass heavy.. more balanced with a hefty punch, IMO.. the mids are grado-like (but thicker with better balance and air), the treble has nice detail & sparkle.. despite having IEMs that are more technically proficient, the 590s still get a ton of play cause I find their sound kind of unique and addicting.  I'm not sure you'll find a better balanced phone at $50 and it's tackles every genre I listen to quite admirably.  It's really nice to have a phone like the 590 that can still hold it's own despite it's age..

I've been waiting for the 790's forever.. wonder when they'll drop, they sound quite promising.. heck, I should just visit their office the next time I trip down from Olympia to Portland..

May 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #2,841 of 16,931

Quote:

I am aware  of the build quality changes. However, they did not send me an updated unit to evaluate so I cannot make any relevant claims about the build. Also, first time I've heard the iM-590 called bass-heavy.

ah, I can post some pictures if you'd like..  Also, I guess it is just me. *plugs in his iM-590's and questions his sanity*

Quote:

Interesting.. thank you for noting this.. the pair I've had for nearly a year are getting replaced due to heavy driver flex in the right ear channel.  How recent is this change in build quality?

I wouldn't consider the 590s bass heavy.. more balanced with a hefty punch, IMO.. the mids are grado-like (but thicker with better balance and air), the treble has nice detail & sparkle.. despite having IEMs that are more technically proficient, the 590s still get a ton of play cause I find their sound kind of unique and addicting.  I'm not sure you'll find a better balanced phone at $50 and it's tackles every genre I listen to quite admirably.  It's really nice to have a phone like the 590 that can still hold it's own despite it's age..

I've been waiting for the 790's forever.. wonder when they'll drop, they sound quite promising.. heck, I should just visit their office the next time I trip down from Olympia to Portland..

the change is...
not that recent. I got a replacement pair that was improved quite some time ago. Last year for sure.

May 6, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #2,842 of 16,931
Okay. I take it back.. They aren't bass heavy. They are quite balanced, and I am crazy.. I think I'm just not used to it.. In fact, I was comparing them to my portapros.. which have a good punchy mid bass, but they lack on the lowest end compared to the maximo's.. which led me to think that the maximo's were bassy.. which led me to buy ety's which I'm not enjoying all that much. Actually, I think my perfect IEM would be somewhere between the Ety and the Maximo. If that even makes sense. It is 3:45am.

Such is the life of someone who tries to listen to hard and not just enjoy the music.

- Actually, I think I'd like something that stuck to the type of sound sig that the Maximo has, but a step up.. What would something like that be? Something fun, but balanced and analytical.

May 6, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #2,843 of 16,931

Quote:

Honestly, I think everyone here has some form of OCD, you'd have to be to be so obsessive over buying such expensive audio equipment. :p

But yeah, I'd agree with Joker, I've never once heard of anyone damaging their eardrums by pushing their IEMs in too far.  However, I have accidentally wedged some in too far once and got some earwax stuck somewhere in the back of my ear canal - it deadened the sound coming in for awhile.  I was a little worried about it, but I just had to go to the doctor about it.  Nothing permanent.

May 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #2,844 of 16,931

Quote:

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the 790 never made it at the rate things are going. I have not heard much of/from Maximo in the past year and I don't think they were at CES 2011, which could indicate financial issues. Their facebook page is ghost city and I haven't seen any review samples distributed in a while.

Quote:
Okay. I take it back.. They aren't bass heavy. They are quite balanced, and I am crazy.. I think I'm just not used to it.. In fact, I was comparing them to my portapros.. which have a good punchy mid bass, but they lack on the lowest end compared to the maximo's.. which led me to think that the maximo's were bassy.. which led me to buy ety's which I'm not enjoying all that much. Actually, I think my perfect IEM would be somewhere between the Ety and the Maximo. If that even makes sense. It is 3:45am.

Such is the life of someone who tries to listen to hard and not just enjoy the music.

- Actually, I think I'd like something that stuck to the type of sound sig that the Maximo has, but a step up.. What would something like that be? Something fun, but balanced and analytical.

The VSonic GR07 might be what you want.

May 6, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,846 of 16,931
May 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,848 of 16,931

Quote:

btw you realise this place is full of obsessive crazys?  curious why you ask about the mc5 and hf3 not both 3 or both 5? 

anyway id say go with the hf if you can, they are very significantly better in everyway than the mc series

May 6, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #2,849 of 16,931

Quote:
also its so crap your ears would thank you if you broke them

Well, I wouldn't say the MC5 is that bad -- but do agree that the HF5 (and a number of other > $75 phones) is a significant step up in SQ and clarity.

May 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,850 of 16,931

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't say the MC5 is that bad -- but do agree that the HF5 (and a number of other > $75 phones) is a significant step up in SQ and clarity.

music should be passion and emotive, on the mc5 is utterly dead.  why bother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back