Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
May 5, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #2,822 of 16,931
I guess I've got some more trance tracks to buy!

Quote:
ljokerl, great thread you made.. Still waiting your VSonic GR07 add-in here... I've put an eye on them but still find little info and direct comparisons. Hope it come soon.. 

Coming soon.. hopefully this weekend. Working on a separate review and the portable thread this week.

Quote:
Joker, can you compare ep5 to gr07? I'm looking for something similar to my ck10 with less sibilance, more forward mid and may be a little more warm in mid, too. I've think about ck100 but it's more expensive.

If you mean the e-Q5, I think that's more likely to appease you than the GR07. Not that the GR07 is similar to the CK10 but no sibilance + slightly forward and slightly warm mids describes the e-Q5 well.

Quote:
joker, would you be able to recommend a sound-isolating IEM that doesn't require significantly deep penetration, i.e. something that balances comfort with isolation for less than $150US? i've looked through your guide but it's hard to judge from your ratings exactly what noise isolation encompasses to you. i was looking for something that good block out more dynamic, high-range stuff like dogs barking, kids yelling, etc. 

If you're really concerned about noise just find whatever has the highest isolation scores without a deep-insertion form factor. I think the Phiaton PS200 is still $145 from amazon and that has very impressive isolation. Or you could go for the base model Kozee X1, which will isolate better than any universal except some Ety models.

May 5, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #2,825 of 16,931
     Quote:
If you're really concerned about noise just find whatever has the highest isolation scores without a deep-insertion form factor. I think the Phiaton PS200 is still $145 from amazon and that has very impressive isolation. Or you could go for the base model Kozee X1, which will isolate better than any universal except some Ety models.

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm not really looking for street-usage isolation; I work from home, but the insulation is pretty bad and I'll often hear the neighbour's dog barking or my brothers fighting, etc. 

I know this is probably going to sound really weird, but I have to be honest: my ex-girlfriend worked at a hospital and told me a story once about someone who'd punctured their ear-drum with a cotton bud. Ever since then I've been paranoid about inserting stuff too deeply into my ear... is it even physically possible for the deep in-ear buds to reach that far? Or does the body of the bud prevent it? 

May 5, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #2,826 of 16,931
From Wikipedia, the length of a typical human ear canal is 35mm. That's 1.37 inches, and quite a long way. You have to be pretty dumb and insert something quite deep to puncture your ear drum. Furthermore most ear canals have a kink along the way which helps prevent straight objects from reaching the tympanic membrane in the first place.

May 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2,827 of 16,931

Quote:
     Quote:

Thanks, I'll look into those. I'm not really looking for street-usage isolation; I work from home, but the insulation is pretty bad and I'll often hear the neighbour's dog barking or my brothers fighting, etc. 

I know this is probably going to sound really weird, but I have to be honest: my ex-girlfriend worked at a hospital and told me a story once about someone who'd punctured their ear-drum with a cotton bud. Ever since then I've been paranoid about inserting stuff too deeply into my ear... is it even physically possible for the deep in-ear buds to reach that far? Or does the body of the bud prevent it? 

Yeah, they won't ever reach your ear drum man.. I wouldn't worry about it and pick up an ety, they are well known for their isolation. I don't know what your sound preferences are though..

May 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #2,828 of 16,931

Quote:
     Quote:

that's a bad thing itself. every doctor i'd asked, told me NOT to use them for deep cleaning, only for external ear use. i dont think the iem tips can get that far...

May 5, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,829 of 16,931

Quote:
Yeah, they won't ever reach your ear drum man.. I wouldn't worry about it and pick up an ety, they are well known for their isolation. I don't know what your sound preferences are though..

I'm really not picky about sound preferences. I'm only using them to work study/with. I listen to a lot of ambient music, or soundscapes, electronica etc. 

which would be ideal out of the ER6, MC5, or hf5? 

May 5, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,830 of 16,931

Quote:
I'm really not picky about sound preferences. I'm only using them to work study/with. I listen to a lot of ambient music, or soundscapes, electronica etc. 

I just got the MC5.. it seems like people have a lot of mixed feelings about them. But you can probably pick up a used pair for 50-60 bucks.. Personally, I think they sound pretty neutral, with good extension. They don't really color the music at all except for the highs, those can get rather bright.. For me, its something my ears adjust to in a matter of minutes. The best thing about the MC5 is its build quality and isolation.. The sound quality can be beat for the price, but it isn't bad. I'm happy with my purchase and will probably be using these for quite some time. I can't comment on the rest of the Ety's.. I can say those triple flanges are going to take a bit to get used to, but the isolation is the best I've heard and the build quality is great.

May 5, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #2,831 of 16,931

Quote:

HF5 + Shure Olive Tips. Sounds great and still comes out to <$150, though if you don't want deep insertion the Phiatons may still be a better choice. All Etys isolate a lot but the HF5 can isolate a bit more than the MC5 with a deep seal and there's no reason to pick the ER6i (or MC5 for that matter) over the HF5 for sound quality.

May 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,832 of 16,931

Quote:

HF5 + Shure Olive Tips. Sounds great and still comes out to <$150, though if you don't want deep insertion the Phiatons may still be a better choice. All Etys isolate a lot but the HF5 can isolate a bit more than the MC5 with a deep seal and there's no reason to pick the ER6i (or MC5 for that matter) over the HF5 for sound quality.

Is wearing the HF5 for a couple of hours at a time, multiple times throughout the day, going to be an issue, comfort-wise, given the deep insertion? 

May 5, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #2,833 of 16,931

Quote:

Is wearing the HF5 for a couple of hours at a time, multiple times throughout the day, going to be an issue, comfort-wise, given the deep insertion? 

Don't recall having a problem in discomfort with either MC5 or the ER4 with triple flanges (and I used to listen to them for 7+ hours per day), so I think it should be fine.

May 6, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,834 of 16,931

Quote:

I knew I should have grabbed that HF5 over the MC5... Oh well, I was worried about breaking them. At least I won't be able to do that with the MC5's... Maybe I'll upgrade when my birthday comes around or if i can find a good deal.

May 6, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #2,835 of 16,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise-phobe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me it is not, but everyone's ears are different. Foam tips are less likely to be uncomfortable IMO.

Quote:
I knew I should have grabbed that HF5 over the MC5... Oh well, I was worried about breaking them. At least I won't be able to do that with the MC5's... Maybe I'll upgrade when my birthday comes around or if i can find a good deal.

For build quality the MC5 wins, no question - not that I feel the need to baby my HF3, but the MC5 is a tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back