Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 17, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2,641 of 16,931
Hey, maybe you could review the Sony EX300. I need a frame of reference since this is my only genuine IEM. I'd be upgrading by now to the $200 range, but I'm on a very low fixed income. This would give me a rudimentary benchmark for comparison purposes. This is a great thread for [mostly] unbiased diverse discussion. I'm a numbers guy so the statistical approach really gets my attention. I'm making a spreadsheet of all the IEMs reviewed in this thread... another week I might have a crude finished version...

It should be rather important to clearly distinguish between universals and customs. This is probably the most distinctive divergence in the products listed, not to mention that customs are a bit more complex to obtain, etc...

Isn't the sense of community and support on Head-Fi awesome?!!

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #2,644 of 16,931
How would you compare the bass from the X1 to similiar priced universals (for example: shure 215, radius DDM, vsonic GR07 etc.) and the brainwavz M2. And would it be a major upgrade going from the M2 to X1?

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,645 of 16,931

While the SM3 and W4 have very good timbre for BA based IEMs, they still fall a bit short (to my ears) in rendering sounds that require a high amount of bass texture, like the low vibrato of cello or double bass. I wonder if a custom BA like the Miracle is closer to the FX700 in that regard?

Quote:
True for my Miracle as well. I saw a post on TechEnclave comparing the Miracle to FX700 saying that the timbre of the Miracle is 50% better. I don't find that to necessarily be true (or quantifiable for that matter) but the Miracle can definitely compete in timbre with the best dynamic driver earphones have to offer. It's much like the SM3 with but proper treble energy and less thickness down low.

Hi James & Joker (and thanks for the best review compilation anywhere on earth!), my 0.02.  While the FX700 and SM3 (SM3 is very tip dependent, and the fit will also affect the FX700) are in the same ball park, my experience with high end customs (although still limited for now) is that they take a step up from the universals.  My lone universal, the SM3, which used to be my favorite, is no match to me now for my customs.  I can't quantify how much better, but I will just say I have heard BA bass that is holding it's own against the LCD-2.  Of course the price point is very high, so it should be great to justify the price.

Thanks to both of you for your contributions and even though I rarely post in many thread, I do still read some universal threads, especially this one.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2,647 of 16,931

Quote:
Wow, you have a whole new bunch of Xears IEM added to your planned list.
I am curious about the Resonance model.

But personally, it's the fact that the GR07 directly jumped at the bottom of your In progress list that interested me the most. I was looking to the DBA-02 for its very good ratio sound quality / price, but the GR07 seems to be a great contender, with a sound signature that could be closer to my tastes.

Again, thank you for your work.

Those to-do lists are in alphabetical order so the GR07 having been at the bottom is not really indicative of anything. Since the GR07 review is finished, it probably won't take as long as it usually does to add to this thread (though this hasn't been true for some other earphones recently). 

Quote:
Hey, maybe you could review the Sony EX300. I need a frame of reference since this is my only genuine IEM. I'd be upgrading by now to the $200 range, but I'm on a very low fixed income. This would give me a rudimentary benchmark for comparison purposes. This is a great thread for [mostly] unbiased diverse discussion. I'm a numbers guy so the statistical approach really gets my attention. I'm making a spreadsheet of all the IEMs reviewed in this thread... another week I might have a crude finished version...

It should be rather important to clearly distinguish between universals and customs. This is probably the most distinctive divergence in the products listed, not to mention that customs are a bit more complex to obtain, etc...

Isn't the sense of community and support on Head-Fi awesome?!!

The EX300 is on the to-do list (see post #8 in this thread). There is also a spreadsheet already (again, post #8). Customs are marked with an asterisk on the spreadsheet. Perhaps I will do so on the index as well.

Quote:
What is splitting?

confused.gif

Quote:
Nice review of the X1s!

Its a shame that they couldn't tune the driver in the silicone version like they did for the executive.

Thanks! I really can't confirm the exact effect of the venting on a BA (assuming the X1 and X1 Executive use the same driver in the first place) but I'm assuming you mean that the Executive seems to sound better than your X1.

Quote:
How would you compare the bass from the X1 to similiar priced universals (for example: shure 215, radius DDM, vsonic GR07 etc.) and the brainwavz M2. And would it be a major upgrade going from the M2 to X1?

Those are all dynamic-driver IEMs.... not really fair to compare. The bass of the X1 would be closer to something like an Ety ER6 or HF5 or even the Westone 1. Very tight and not at all exaggerated. The M2 is a warm-sounding IEM with several dB of bass lift... it is a lot more impactful than the X1 and also much thicker/smoother. The X1 is very analytical in comparison - much clearer, much more detailed, more hyped in the treble, and much 'wider'-sounding. On a technical level, it is an upgrade, but if you're looking for something closer to the M2 in signature you'd be better off with a Senn IE7 or Radius W21.

Quote:
hey, i was wondering how the regular monster turbines match up to the on-ear monster beats solo's?

The Solos sound worse in pretty much every single way.

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2,648 of 16,931

Quote:

Those to-do lists are in alphabetical order so the GR07 having been at the bottom is not really indicative of anything. Since the GR07 review is finished, it probably won't take as long as it usually does to add to this thread (though this hasn't been true for some other earphones recently).

Damn, never noticed it before. It's just that recently it was only on the planned list, so I assumed that.

Good news, I'm going right now to read the dedicated topic. =)

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2,649 of 16,931
I've fallen in love with the q-jays but $150+ is too much. What IEMs come close to the q-jays in terms of size/comfort/looks?
On the other hand... if they were on sale for less than $100 it'd be a no-brainer ;D

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #2,650 of 16,931

Quote:
I've fallen in love with the q-jays but $150+ is too much. What IEMs come close to the q-jays in terms of size/comfort/looks?
On the other hand... if they were on sale for less than $100 it'd be a no-brainer ;D

My guess would be the UE700 but they are pretty expensive at MSRP but don't know if they still go for that high.

Mike, just out of curiosity but where does the W4 fit for you? I have my UM custom coming to me tomorrow (surprisingly..although tbh I have no idea how long it has been) so wondering with all the customs you have as well as other earphones where the W4 would be if you owned them. Although if a custom sounded like the W4 I might be tempted to get that. I want to keep them but not sure what I plan on doing with them yet since they are very close to the 1964-T in technical ability but a more "fun" sound signature.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #2,651 of 16,931

Quote:

If sound quality is a low priority, the MEElec M11+ would probably be closest in size/comfort/looks. 

Quote:
My guess would be the UE700 but they are pretty expensive at MSRP but don't know if they still go for that high.

Mike, just out of curiosity but where does the W4 fit for you? I have my UM custom coming to me tomorrow (surprisingly..although tbh I have no idea how long it has been) so wondering with all the customs you have as well as other earphones where the W4 would be if you owned them. Although if a custom sounded like the W4 I might be tempted to get that. I want to keep them but not sure what I plan on doing with them yet since they are very close to the 1964-T in technical ability but a more "fun" sound signature.

The W4 is a damn good universal and if I didn't have the 1964-T or Miracle I'd be tempted to pick one up as my all-around benchmark (something I've never said about the SM3). I agree that the differences in performance are very small between the 1964-T and W4 and many will find the signature of the W4 preferable. With the Miracle here, however, I don't see a place for the W4. In fact, there's no place for the 1964-T or Ck10, either, so my collection will have to undergo some drastic changes in the long run.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,652 of 16,931
Alright UE 700s are a great, if not better alternative. While I was searching around I found an old 65% off deal.. How often do those sales happen? I guess I'll just wait for the first one to go on sale ._. (Assuming $150 is the lowest price at the moment for UE 700s)

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,653 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
I think that says more about the JH13 than the 1964T. I really don't think the spread between the W4 and 1964-T is very large but the 1964 is more textured and more detailed. Having a perfect seal each time helps as well. Difficult to compare the otherwise due to different signatures. My Miracle, which is in the same price range as the JH13, is better still. I think the spread between the Miracle and 1964-T is a lot bigger than the spread between the 1964-T and similarly-priced universals.

Well, having the W4s and the UM56 sleeves, I do get a perfect seal every time, so in all fairness, comparing the W4s using universal tips to customs is an uneven playing field. I think there are 2-3 W4 owners who have the UM56s, and all say having custom sleeves makes a discernible difference in SQ. Not saying they are better or worse than 64Ts (don't have those), but as you note, it's not apples to oranges. I am not even saying custom sleeves do a custom IEM make, but in the case of the W4, all I have to do is A/B the UM56s with the triple-flanges or other OEM tips, and it's no contest.

I'm a definite UM-56 fanboy.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #2,654 of 16,931
Alright UE 700s are a great, if not better alternative. While I was searching around I found an old 65% off deal.. How often do those sales happen? I guess I'll just wait for the first one to go on sale ._. (Assuming $150 is the lowest price at the moment for UE 700s)

I don't think they go on sale too often but you may be able to get a good deal on a used one. Even though the q-JAYS use a similar armature to the UE700, I wouldn't think twice about putting up the extra $50 they cost. The NOCS NS800 is another twfk-based earphone with the same form factor but it's quite rare in the states. NOCS also have some lower-end models which look more or less similar but I am not familiar with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back