Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #2,386 of 16,931

Quote:
I didn't care for the Tf-10 but didn't find them sibilant. They do have extended and pronounced highs but it's rather peak free. My take is that they just lacked too much mids for my tastes and the bass was more mid bass prominent. It's not a bad phone and there's a reason many really like it. The mid bass doesn't bleed up for instance like on many such phones so if you like a v response, it's a good choice, especially for what you can now get them for.

That's similar to my take on them. I can see people like it but it's not for me especially the fit.

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #2,387 of 16,931
thanks goodvibes and rawster for the frank opinion :)

i think a lot of it depends on the 'fit' too as with most IEMs it is. hopefully i get lucky. 

i am now going through TF10 appreciation thread. i had saved it for last 
tongue.gif
 . i think it is only going to make me buy these. 

the 'lack' in mid is the only gripe i have come across so far.. hopefully i should be able to eq it to some extent.  related to this has anybody listened to the song - "i ain't got nobody..." from Santana with TF10. i expect them to represent those instruments in the song clear, crisp with wide soundstage.

if not very good ..  i feel these are definitely an 'upgrade' from what i use now - Klipsch Image S4 in terms of sound quality. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2,389 of 16,931

Quote:
i know this may be like comparing apples to oranges but
What are the differences in sound quality comparing the MTPG and the ATH-M50?

Apples to oranges indeed. Very hard to compare as a whole but in terms of frequency balance I'd say the M50 has more midbass and more prominent treble. The MTPG has good extension and bass body but it's not a very aggressive-sounding earphone. It's also rather laid-back up top. Maybe someone who owns both can be more specific.

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #2,391 of 16,931

Quote:
ljokerl, would you happen to know which size of comply fit the A151s, if at all? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

The T/Tx200 fits but it's tough to get on. Don't think the T100 will fit at all and the T400 is very loose.

Mar 23, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2,392 of 16,931
Thanks for such an amazing thread.

I've got completely addicted to this site over the past few days. Having previously only ever ventured into "good quality" earphones once, with my Shure Se210s, which sadly died.

I have, based on this thread, and my budget now splashed out on some Xears TDIII Blackwoods and agreed a trade on some RE-0s. Both at 50 euros each.

From reviews it looks like they will offer up quite a different sound, and I am looking forward to being able to compare and contrast them. Fingers crossed I'll have both within about a week... and will then be able to start my journey afresh!

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #2,394 of 16,931

Quote:
I have, based on this thread, and my budget now splashed out on some Xears TDIII Blackwoods and agreed a trade on some RE-0s. Both at 50 euros each.

From reviews it looks like they will offer up quite a different sound, and I am looking forward to being able to compare and contrast them. Fingers crossed I'll have both within about a week... and will then be able to start my journey afresh!

I think that's a great way to jump into it! I do hope you like both but in case you don't at least you'll know which direction to go when upgrading.

Quote:
Tough as in too loose or too tight? Cuz I got a set for my UE 500s, which I think have bigger nozzles... But I'll check if I get home. If they fit, it just means I won't have to buy more tips, I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually I am not even sure what size these complies are but they are too tight because of the notch on the  A151 nozzle. They are the complies that came with the Brainwavz B2/Fischer DBA-02. I'm guessing someone in the Fischer thread might know the size.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #2,396 of 16,931

Quote:
definitely not the T200s... As I suspected, the opening is a bit big... Are you sure T400s are only loose? I thought they numbered based on size, and if the 200s are too big, are the 400s only loose?

Well by loose I mean quite loose. As in, they don't stay on at all.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2,398 of 16,931
hi, just looking for a quick recomendation. i listen to trance, electronica, and dubstep. i need something that has unearthly bass, but dosen't mud the mids or highs. i can choose between skullcandy FMJ, Lil Jamz, Jamz or JVC bi-metal. those are, unfortunately my ONLY choices (otherwise, i would get the punch plugs) any help?

Mar 24, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #2,399 of 16,931

Quote:
hi, just looking for a quick recomendation. i listen to trance, electronica, and dubstep. i need something that has unearthly bass, but dosen't mud the mids or highs. i can choose between skullcandy FMJ, Lil Jamz, Jamz or JVC bi-metal. those are, unfortunately my ONLY choices (otherwise, i would get the punch plugs) any help?

I'd probably take the Jamz as the other ones are even worse but really none of them are what you're looking for. The Jamz aren't very clean-sounding and lack treble, the Lil Jamz and JVCs are probably not bassy enough for you, and the FMJs are just terrible in every way. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #2,400 of 16,931
I should have known getting into IEMs was a bad idea... my budget started at $50, and has slowly inflated up to $200. Curse you Head-Fi!

So I just got the IE8s in today... my first impression is that they have a very V-shaped response, with a little less emphasis on the treble. Bass is powerful and deep, but has a somewhat pronounced mid-bass hump. For me the bass definitely bleeds into the midrange (especially kick drums), drowning out a lot of what I like to hear in the mids (generally guitars, vocals). The mids are quite relatively de-emphasized compared to the bass (too much) and the treble (which I find just right). The treble has just the right balance between sparkle and shimmer - it's detailed enough not to sound like a shimmery mess but not edgy enough to sound harsh or sibilant.

One thing I did find interesting is that the bass adjustment doesn't really do anything, for me. I noticed a little bit of deeper bass when I maxed out one side vs min on the other, but most of it was a slight boost in the midbass. I turned it back down to min because it was already too much to begin with.

I also noticed that the Senn "bi-flanges", while uncomfortable, did wonders for body microphonics. The isolation is mediocre/average, but normally with IEMs I hear every part of my moving body, especially my mouth and breathing. With the biflanges I didn't really notice any of that, they were awesome in that regard.

So, so far I'm not quite sold on them yet. If I could make a Frankenphone, it would be with the treble somewhere between the IE8 and the RE-Zero, the midrange of the RE262, and the bass... somewhere between the RE262 and the IE8. Should I just throw caution and budget to the wind and splurge for the CK10? I'm a little bit afraid the DBA-02 will be a little too analytical and dry to be really enjoyable. The CK10 seems to have the right amount of balance of everything... what would be a full-size equivalent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back