Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 20, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #2,372 of 16,931
Joker, I'd like to thank you again for your superhuman efforts in compiling this list. Every time I come across another IEM I default to your description of it to see what the general sound signature is, and if I would like it or not. This time I picked up an RE262 at the NYC Meet after reading your review, and again, it was spot-on. Comping from a Sunrise Xcape V1, the RE262 is almost better across the board in detail (for mids and lows, not highs), soundstage, comfort, "fun" factor and smoothness. I can wear the RE262s in either straight down or over ear configurations when I use the Phonak Audeo silicone ear guides (which are awesome, by the way, and totally worth the $12 I paid for three sets). I've been using them for the past two hours and I don't feel any discomfort at all using the small stock tips, which is incredibly rare - I haven't come across an IEM this comfortable since... ever.

The only real complaint I have with the RE262 is that they are a somewhat mid-forward headphone, which means the treble is a little too smooth and laid back. If I could keep everything about the RE262's bass and mid quality and could just push down the mids a little bit and the highs up a little bit, I would be extremely content. Right now I'm leaning towards balanced armature headphones, since dynamics don't seem to have the stuff I'm looking for. Current candidates are the DBA-02, CK10, and then the 1964 Ears Custom. First and foremost the most important quality in considering an upgrade from the RE262 is comfort - I don't care if something sounds better if I can't wear it for more than an hour or two at a time. Next up would be treble quality - I like the airyness and detail of the Sunrise and the RE0 but don't want to give up bass or mids too much in favor of the treble. I also can't stand harshness or sibilance so there's a very thin margin for my ideal treble preferences. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #2,374 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, I'd like to thank you again for your superhuman efforts in compiling this list. Every time I come across another IEM I default to your description of it to see what the general sound signature is, and if I would like it or not. This time I picked up an RE262 at the NYC Meet after reading your review, and again, it was spot-on. Comping from a Sunrise Xcape V1, the RE262 is almost better across the board in detail (for mids and lows, not highs), soundstage, comfort, "fun" factor and smoothness. I can wear the RE262s in either straight down or over ear configurations when I use the Phonak Audeo silicone ear guides (which are awesome, by the way, and totally worth the $12 I paid for three sets). I've been using them for the past two hours and I don't feel any discomfort at all using the small stock tips, which is incredibly rare - I haven't come across an IEM this comfortable since... ever.

The only real complaint I have with the RE262 is that they are a somewhat mid-forward headphone, which means the treble is a little too smooth and laid back. If I could keep everything about the RE262's bass and mid quality and could just push down the mids a little bit and the highs up a little bit, I would be extremely content. Right now I'm leaning towards balanced armature headphones, since dynamics don't seem to have the stuff I'm looking for. Current candidates are the DBA-02, CK10, and then the 1964 Ears Custom. First and foremost the most important quality in considering an upgrade from the RE262 is comfort - I don't care if something sounds better if I can't wear it for more than an hour or two at a time. Next up would be treble quality - I like the airyness and detail of the Sunrise and the RE0 but don't want to give up bass or mids too much in favor of the treble. I also can't stand harshness or sibilance so there's a very thin margin for my ideal treble preferences. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks, and glad you like the 262. It really is quite special.

Now, I still think the DBA-02 is the best value for more analytical sound and if you can find one for a reasonable price I'd definitely start there. I would recommend the RE252 if you want to give dynamics another shot but unfortunately the fit can really be hit-or-miss with that. The Westone 4 is another interesting earphone with treble intensity I'd put about halfway between the DBA-02/CK10/etc and the RE262/Radius TWF21/etc. My review of it should be up reasonably soon unless other great earphones that require my immediate attention suddenly show up at my doorstep tomorrow (ahem... UM...).

Quote:
I recently got a pair of A151s, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get a good fit with the double- and triple-flange tips... is there some kind of trick that I need to get them to fit?

The same way as the single flanges. I prefer to wear them cable-down and I just barely get a seal with the trips. If you have slightly larger ear canals the triples probably won't seal but the bi-flanges should still work.

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #2,375 of 16,931
Aflac, have you removed the foam in the nozzle yet?  I would advise doing that for a little more treble.  Outside of that, there isn't much else you're going to do with them outside of EQing if you have that.  I particularly like the treble on the RE262.  It has a lot of detail, is reasonably strong, and has this cool sweetness to it that's very likable, a sweetness that I haven't really heard outside of the Triple.Fi 10, although the presentation of sound is quite different between the two, even if we are only comparing the treble region.

All I can really suggest is remove the foam.  Other than that, play with tips.  The stock tips are few, and I would suggest toying with other options.  Deeper insertion will knock down the mids some versus shallow.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #2,377 of 16,931

Quote:
hi ljokerl, I'm just wondering if the review for the EBs are almost done? :p not trying to press you BTW :D

Which EB? If you mean the Hippo 10, I haven't even started yet. If you mean the SuperFi5, all of the UE reviews are done except the TF10 and 700. I just have to finish the remaining two and get them all posted.

Mar 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #2,378 of 16,931

[size=medium]
hi friends,

i am looking for a good set of IEM and zeroed in on DBA 02 (analytical, comparatively cold) and Triple fi 10 (comparatively warm) . i know both have different sound signature. i have been reading through many of the reviews too. i normally listen to techno and i currently use a Klipsch Image S4. i don't like harsh highs and hate even the hint of sibilance (and S4s does sound sibilant some times :frowning2:  ) . 
so far i have not been able to audition either of the two (looks like it is not possible from here -'m from India) but reading about the sound signatures i feel Triple fi 10 is the one for me (i like slightly warmer sound and a wide soundstage) . now the reason for this post is just reconfirm my understanding and i don't wanted to start one more 'vs' thread (i hope joker doesn't mind hi-jacking his thread - and anyways he refuses to review the triple fi 10s 
tongue.gif
 ).

and at last, can anybody confirm how good/authentic are the deals like below are? Triple fi 10 under 200$ sound inviting and one of my friend is returning from US next month. so 'm planning to get these through him. hoping to see some replies :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ULTIMATE-EARS-TRIPLE-Fi-10-PRO-EARPHONES-IPHONE-NIB-/360349141209?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item53e67b88d9

my current set-up :
Cowon S9 (music in flac and mostly high bit rate mp3 -256 kbps+ as most of the techno available on net is)

+ Fiio E5 (this does make a difference in the o/p from S4s especially at volumes >20 on S9)

+ Klipsch Image S4
[/size]

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #2,379 of 16,931
It is interesting that you are sensitive to strong highs but seek two earphones that have strong highs.  Both the DBA-02 and Triple.Fi 10 are both dominant and aggressive on the top end.  The DBA-02 sounds more balanced, but the Triple.Fi 10 is more hearty/smoother but more pronounced.  If you want something with a more pleasant top end, I might start leaning you towards other things.  You can still get a lot of the extension, air, and good detail but in a lighter, non-fatiguing presentation.  The RE262, e-Q7, SA6, IE8, SE530, and RE-ZERO are options that come quickly to mind in terms of products I've used.  I haven't personally used the e-Q5, but that's a slightly more affordable route versus the e-Q7.  These tend to offer good treble presence and extension but offer a softer, smoother, or laid back presentation in one way or another that makes them more pleasant.  I'm a huge fan of the Triple.Fi 10, but I also know it's a rather colored earphone.  On a budget and indicating to someone who may seek something well balanced, I will very readily lead that person to the RE-ZERO.  The $100 price tag is easy to swallow, and it does a lot of things right.

In terms of Joker's reviews, pay attention to the sound descriptions and look for products that are describe as having a more mild, smoother, laid back top end.  If strong treble offends you, this is the kind of thing you're looking for.  Don't think this means you have to get an earphone with complete lack of treble.  Rather, you just want to seek things that offer a more mild-mannered presentation rather than something hot, aggressive, forward, or peaky.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #2,380 of 16,931
Mike, I look forward to your thoughts on the W4. I like them so far but haven't put much time on them yet. Also  you could just listen to the UM and finish/edit or whatever else you need to do for the W4 review :)

I guess with all these reviews you do that backlog you have will only get longer as the days go by :p

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #2,381 of 16,931
I'm considering sending the iM716 to joker if they don't sell anytime soon, but I figure he has a large enough backlog that he doesn't need any extra help
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #2,382 of 16,931
I think it was mentioned in the previous thread about the im716 but it is discontinued so not sure how much he would want to review something no one can get :p

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2,383 of 16,931
Added the Monster Jamz & PADACS Aksent. The latter is quite interesting being a bass-heavy iPhone headset with an analogue volume control.

Quote:
[size=medium]
and at last, can anybody confirm how good/authentic are the deals like below are? Triple fi 10 under 200$ sound inviting and one of my friend is returning from US next month. so 'm planning to get these through him. hoping to see some replies :)
[/size]

Very legit- the price of the TF10 in the US has plummeted in the last two years. However, I would heed mvw2's advice - the DBA-02 (and, to a lesser extent, the TF10) are not exactly treble-light. I don't think the top end of the TF10 is very edgy but it's definitely exciting. I am, however, fully aware of the TF10's excellent reputation in India and at the current prices the praise is quite well-deserved.

Quote:
Mike, I look forward to your thoughts on the W4. I like them so far but haven't put much time on them yet. Also  you could just listen to the UM and finish/edit or whatever else you need to do for the W4 review :)

I guess with all these reviews you do that backlog you have will only get longer as the days go by :p

I was hoping to catch a break but that's not looking likely in the near future. I can't believe how quickly new gear pops up on the horizon.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #2,384 of 16,931

Quote:
It is interesting that you are sensitive to strong highs but seek two earphones that have strong highs.  ...........
On a budget and indicating to someone who may seek something well balanced, I will very readily lead that person to the RE-ZERO.  The $100 price tag is easy to swallow, and it does a lot of things right.

In terms of Joker's reviews, pay attention to the sound descriptions and look for products that are describe as having a more mild, smoother, laid back top end.  If strong treble offends you, this is the kind of thing you're looking for.  Don't think this means you have to get an earphone with complete lack of treble.  Rather, you just want to seek things that offer a more mild-mannered presentation rather than something hot, aggressive, forward, or peaky.

thanks for the reply mvw2!
mmm.. i knew this is gonna be difficult -explaining about the music preferences.
i do not mind good treble but it is the harsh/piercing highs that 'm terrified of. as for Image S4 they have been ok so far and but nothing special or lively in it. and i want a larger soundstage (and better representation of low/mid and high - at the same time not analytical 
confused_face(1).gif
 ) .  also ClieOS thread here segregates TF10 as balanced.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-panasonic-rp-hje450-added-mar-20-2011

Quote:

Very legit- the price of the TF10 in the US has plummeted in the last two years. However, I would heed mvw2's advice - the DBA-02 (and, to a lesser extent, the TF10) are not exactly treble-light. I don't think the top end of the TF10 is very edgy but it's definitely exciting. I am, however, fully aware of the TF10's excellent reputation in India and at the current prices the praise is quite well-deserved.

thanks joker. i am definitely considering TF10

also as i have read through many reviews/mini-reviews about TF10 here, people seem to enjoy their TF10 for Techno/Trance genre of music. 
just one question that i still need answer for : are TF10s are sibilant at any point or do they have harsh highs?

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #2,385 of 16,931
I didn't care for the Tf-10 but didn't find them sibilant. They do have extended and pronounced highs but it's rather peak free. My take is that they just lacked too much mids for my tastes and the bass was more mid bass prominent. It's not a bad phone and there's a reason many really like it. The mid bass doesn't bleed up for instance like on many such phones so if you like a v response, it's a good choice, especially for what you can now get them for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back