Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2,327 of 16,931
I'm really not sure if I should try the Phiaton PS210 first, $140 for the ps200 is a bit pricey for me.  If i got that, there would be no reason for my to keep my ESW9, that is if it were just as good or better.

meh, choices

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2,328 of 16,931
Hey y'all,

So this is the last lame 'can you compare these earphones' post I will ever write.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Meelec M9s - but I'm just wondering if any of the new Meelec earphones (such as M16, M21) offer a very similar sound? I just think the M16 for instance looks much sexier. Essentially I want the M9 sound in a better looking shell! Or should I just stop being so silly and order the M9? I personally enjoy the enhanced bass and treble. I find the Brainwavz M2 too dark and boring! 

dt880smile.png

Thanks!

Mar 8, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #2,329 of 16,931

Quote:
Hey y'all,

So this is the last lame 'can you compare these earphones' post I will ever write.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Meelec M9s - but I'm just wondering if any of the new Meelec earphones (such as M16, M21) offer a very similar sound? I just think the M16 for instance looks much sexier. Essentially I want the M9 sound in a better looking shell! Or should I just stop being so silly and order the M9? I personally enjoy the enhanced bass and treble. I find the Brainwavz M2 too dark and boring! 

dt880smile.png

Thanks!

The M21 are IMHO superior to the M9, while still being the "M-series" (V-shaped, plenty of basses). In my opinion the M21 are worth the extra money, but that decision is up to you :wink:

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #2,330 of 16,931

Quote:
If Xears TDIII is indeed the same nozzle size as Turbine, then you can try Comply T400 or Sony hybrids (EPEX10A).  These are the most recommended tips for better seal.
Some also use Shure olive (PA910 S/M/L), but it's for smaller nozzles, so have to be decored to fit on bigger ones, and may run the risk of falling off the nozzle and stuck in your ear.

I am not really attracted by foam tips, but Sony hybrids could be an interesting alternative, I read a lot about them on Head-Fi.
I was looking more for double flange ones, but if I have the opportunity I will buy them at decent price.

Quote:
Thanks, I'm glad the thread has been useful.

Have you tried the bi-flange tips included with the TD-III? If you're having trouble with those, I'm not sure Sennheiser bi-flanges are a solution. But yes, the Meelec tips will fit. M11 and M11+ use the same housings so the do share the same nozzle size. However, the M11+ fit kit is much more extensive (albeit more expensive) than the M11 kit.

Yes, I am currently using the stock bi-flanges, I am much more satisfied using these than the stock single-flange.
I think that larger bi-flange would make easier for me to have a perfect seal in my left ear. Meelec tips have all kind of size for the bi-flange, so if they are decent i will order a kit.

And yes your thread is useful... but dangerous for my wallet too, I am already thinking of buying DBA-02 in the incoming months.
biggrin.gif

Thanks to both of you.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #2,331 of 16,931

Quote:
FANTASTIC thread, I have learned so much about the IEM's out there. I was just wondering if you have any plans on reviewing Shure products? More specifically the Se215 that were just released, it would be interesting to see how they fair against the competition!

There are no plans to review any Shure products. None of the previous-gen models (except the SE530, which I've not tried) managed to impress me. Glowing reviews and ridiculous claims made by a Shure retailer do not impress me either; actually, they make me less interested in the product.

Quote:
I'm really not sure if I should try the Phiaton PS210 first, $140 for the ps200 is a bit pricey for me.  If i got that, there would be no reason for my to keep my ESW9, that is if it were just as good or better.

meh, choices

The PS210 and PS200 aren't very much alike. One is a huge dynamic-driver and the other is a dual armature setup, probably a TWFK. Phiaton does tend to have a more spacious sound across their in-ear range but other than that there's not much of a common 'signature'.

Quote:

The M6 is still the most similar earphone to the M9 for me. The M16 has more treble and slightly less bass, the M21 has more midrange and slightly less bass, and the M31 - more bass.

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #2,332 of 16,931

Quote:

There are no plans to review any Shure products.

The M6 is still the most similar earphone to the M9 for me. The M16 has more treble and slightly less bass, the M21 has more midrange and slightly less bass, and the M31 - more bass.

I see an SE215 in your future.

Come to think of it, Mee offers something for everyone in the M series alone. For budget phones that is.

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #2,335 of 16,931
Thank you for your effort, Joker. I noticed that you own a TF10 and mentioned it a lot in your reviews. Is there a reason why you don't give it a review? I'm just curious how would you score it compared to all 150 IEMs. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #2,336 of 16,931

Quote:
Thank you for your effort, Joker. I noticed that you own a TF10 and mentioned it a lot in your reviews. Is there a reason why you don't give it a review? I'm just curious how would you score it compared to all 150 IEMs. 

It's on the to-do list (see post #8, below the table), I've simply been putting it off because there is plenty of info on it already and because I just plain don't like the fit. Can't avoid it forever so I'll definitely get around to it.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #2,337 of 16,931
Amazing thread |joker|.  Thanks for all your hard work and effort.  I gave up on iems a couple of years ago when I purchased the UE Super.fi5 because of the fit and they were very uncomfortable.  I use the v-moda bass freqs for the gym and that's about it for my iems.  After reading your reviews I decided to give them a try again and ordered the Monster Turbines and am loving the sound, fit, seal, everything basically.  I have come to the conclusion that I like the straight down cable vs over the ear.
I was looking at the NuForce NE-700X to have an extra pair basically close to the same tier and maybe compliment the Turbines and vice versa.  Thoughts? or another selection.  

Thanks

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2,338 of 16,931
Had a bit of spare time yesterday and decided to crunch some numbers. Came up with some fun statistics that illustrate diminishing returns - the average jump in SQ between price tiers drops by about half above $100 while the overall rating makes the biggest gains when moving from the penny-pincher category up and then again when moving into the $150-250 range.

($0-15)
Average Sound Score: 3.3   Best: 5.5 (JVC HA-FXC50)            Worst: 0.5 (AudioSource IEBAS)
Average Overall Score: 4.4   Best: 5.55 (EarsQuake SHA)        Worst: 2.2 (AudioSource IEBAS)

($15-30)
Average Sound Score: 4.9   Best: 6.4 (Xears Bullet XB120Pro)  Worst: 4 (Skullcandy TiTan / Koss KE29)
Average Overall Score: 5.9   Best: 6.75 (ECCI PR100)              Worst: 4.7 (Sennheiser CX300)

($30-60)
Average Sound Score: 5.9   Best: 7.5 (Xears TD100)               Worst: 3.5 (Skullcandy FMJ)
Average Overall Score: 6.5   Best: 7.75 (Soundmagic PL50)     Worst: 4.65 (Skullcandy FMJ)

($60-100)
Average Sound Score: 7.0   Best: 8.8 (Klipsch Custom 3)        Worst: 4 (JAYS j-JAYS)
Average Overall Score: 7.1   Best: 8.4 (Sunrise Xcape)            Worst: 5.85 (UE MetroFi 220)

($100-150)
Average Sound Score: 7.5   Best: 8.7 (Phonak PFE)               Worst: 6.3 (Monster Beats by Dre Tour / Digital Designs DD-DXB01)
Average Overall Score: 7.6   Best: 8.5 (Westone 1)                  Worst: 5.25 (Digital Designs DD-DXB01)

($150-250)
Average Sound Score: 9.1   Best: 9.5 (Fischer Audio DBA-02)  Worst: 8.1 (FutureSonics Atrio M8 (v2))
Average Overall Score: 8.5   Best: 9.2 (Westone 2)                  Worst: 7.55 (Radius DDM)

($250+)
Average Sound Score: 9.5   Best: 10 (1964EARS 1964-T)        Worst: 9.1 (Monster Turbine Pro Copper)
Average Overall Score: 8.9   Best: 9.8 (1964EARS 1964-T)       Worst: 8.5 (Ortofon e-Q7)

Quote:
Amazing thread |joker|.  Thanks for all your hard work and effort.  I gave up on iems a couple of years ago when I purchased the UE Super.fi5 because of the fit and they were very uncomfortable.  I use the v-moda bass freqs for the gym and that's about it for my iems.  After reading your reviews I decided to give them a try again and ordered the Monster Turbines and am loving the sound, fit, seal, everything basically.  I have come to the conclusion that I like the straight down cable vs over the ear.
I was looking at the NuForce NE-700X to have an extra pair basically close to the same tier and maybe compliment the Turbines and vice versa.  Thoughts? or another selection.  

I don't know if I'd recommend the NE-700X as a compliment to the Turbines. The fit is not as friendly and the sound is not all that different. Have you considered the Xears TD-III? Same price range as the Nuforces but quite similar in shape to the Turbines - you shouldn't have any fit problems with them. The sound is a bit different, too - more spacious and fluid but still with a good bass kick.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #2,339 of 16,931
Nice list, though the C3 should be updated in it's pricing (getting it <100$ is hard nowadays). Xears is doing well in the budget region while Skullcandy is doing the opposite lol. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,340 of 16,931
Nice table Joker.  I don't think I'm ever selling my Xcape v.1.  I'll have to hear an Xears product someday.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back