Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 6, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #2,311 of 16,931

Quote:

Any reason you excluded the RE262? On the higher end of things they are probably the first earphone I think of when 'warm and relaxing' comes up. On the budget end of things, I can make things harder for you by adding the Xears TD-III. Not the greatest build quality but then they are cheaper than everything else you're considering except maybe the PL50s. No review of them in this thread yet but I did write something up here.   
And of course from your list I'd pick the MDs assuming you don't find copious bass antithetical to your relaxation needs.

I am looking into RE262 and what I think I will do will be getting both RE262 and BM3 and seeing if I like any of them. Later I will try to pick up a pair of used MDs, they are incredibly expensive in the EU and much cheaper in FS forum. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #2,312 of 16,931
Thanks for all the info.

I bought a set of ecci 100s a few months ago and have never liked portable headphones so much.

Due to a bit of incompetence I now need a new set.

As mostly use these phones for either listening to podcasts or for dance music while running I am going for either the Visang RO2 or the MEElectronics M6.

You mentioned that the M6 was the ultimate cheapy for dance, but I can get the RO2 at the same price which gets a higher sound score.

Any specific advice?

Thanks

P

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #2,313 of 16,931
Hi guys, in the table the monster turbine pro copper is listed as having an inline or optional mic for mobile phones.. I check the monster website and didn't see anything, am I missing something??

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #2,314 of 16,931
Hey joker, how does the KC3 compare to the 1964-T?  I'm really a fan of the KC3's sound sig and I was wondering if I should maybe go for a reshell or a new custom.  I'm most specifically looking at the quantity of bass between the two.  From what I've read it looks like they have about the same?

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2,315 of 16,931

Quote:
Hi guys, in the table the monster turbine pro copper is listed as having an inline or optional mic for mobile phones.. I check the monster website and didn't see anything, am I missing something??

Regular Coppers don't.  You have to buy a 'control-talk' version.  Make sure your device is supported.

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #2,316 of 16,931
Would the Phiaton PS200 be the wisest choice for me if I wanted an IEM with the largest possible soundstage for a $200 Budget?
I researched a little on iems with large stage size and the phiaton came up a few times.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #2,317 of 16,931

Quote:
I bought a set of ecci 100s a few months ago and have never liked portable headphones so much.

Due to a bit of incompetence I now need a new set.

As mostly use these phones for either listening to podcasts or for dance music while running I am going for either the Visang RO2 or the MEElectronics M6.

You mentioned that the M6 was the ultimate cheapy for dance, but I can get the RO2 at the same price which gets a higher sound score.

Any specific advice?

I think the R02 is better overall in terms of sound quality - I just quite like the build and comfort of the M6. However, assuming you liked the fit of the PR100, the R02 won't be a problem for you. While I think the M6 has a good signature for dance, the R02 will be an easier switch from the more accurate PR100.

Quote:
Hey joker, how does the KC3 compare to the 1964-T?  I'm really a fan of the KC3's sound sig and I was wondering if I should maybe go for a reshell or a new custom.  I'm most specifically looking at the quantity of bass between the two.  From what I've read it looks like they have about the same?

I think if I had to pick a universal closest in signature to the 1964-T, the KC3 would be it but I do feel that the 1964-T has a bit more mid-bass (more TF10 level than KC3). Not a night-and-day difference.

Quote:
Would the Phiaton PS200 be the wisest choice for me if I wanted an IEM with the largest possible soundstage for a $200 Budget?
I researched a little on iems with large stage size and the phiaton came up a few times.  

In my experience yes, especially with the prices I've been seeing lately. Relatively close competitors like the RE262 and W2 would cost you more.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #2,320 of 16,931
First, thank you ljokerl for all your impressive work.

I started to search for IEM in September, found your topic, and since I bought a IM-590 and recently a Xears TDIII and I never was disappointed. Your descriptions are top notch and well documented (even if for the Xears TDIII you still didn't add the info to the main post).

About the TDIII, I read that you were complaining about the difficulty to insert correctly the tips in the ears in order to get a proper sound. I have a big issue to get a perfect sound with my left ear, causing a bad balance. Most of the time I lack of bass.
I wanted to know if you have a good recommendation for the tips ? I was searching for Sennheiser bi-flange ones, but they are sold only by pack of 5 pars of the same size, at a expensive price. MEElectronics M11 Eartips seem to be a good deal and are easy to find, but are they a good alternative ? (and if anybody can tell me of M11 & M11+ share the same nozzle size).

Thank you.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #2,321 of 16,931

[size=medium]
joker.. how does the PS200 stack up against the DBA ?  Both are in the same price range and are dual balanced armatures.. I get the feeling the PS200 might be a slightly less refined version of the DBA (PS200 reports of slight sibilance, etc.)?  Is it as musical and engaging as the DBA?  I'm curious as to how the bass quality/quantity also compares.. Considering the PS200 might be a little easier to get for many people than the perpetually out-of-stock DBA (as well as the DBA being quite fit-dependent to get the best sound), is it a viable alternative for around same price?

Thanks for all you do here, it's very much appreciated..
[/size]

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2,322 of 16,931

Quote:

I started to search for IEM in September, found your topic, and since I bought a IM-590 and recently a Xears TDIII and I never was disappointed. Your descriptions are top notch and well documented (even if for the Xears TDIII you still didn't add the info to the main post).

About the TDIII, I read that you were complaining about the difficulty to insert correctly the tips in the ears in order to get a proper sound. I have a big issue to get a perfect sound with my left ear, causing a bad balance. Most of the time I lack of bass.
I wanted to know if you have a good recommendation for the tips ? I was searching for Sennheiser bi-flange ones, but they are sold only by pack of 5 pars of the same size, at a expensive price. MEElectronics M11 Eartips seem to be a good deal and are easy to find, but are they a good alternative ? (and if anybody can tell me of M11 & M11+ share the same nozzle size).

Thank you.

If Xears TDIII is indeed the same nozzle size as Turbine, then you can try Comply T400 or Sony hybrids (EPEX10A).  These are the most recommended tips for better seal.
Some also use Shure olive (PA910 S/M/L), but it's for smaller nozzles, so have to be decored to fit on bigger ones, and may run the risk of falling off the nozzle and stuck in your ear.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #2,323 of 16,931

Quote:

Thanks, I'm glad the thread has been useful.

Have you tried the bi-flange tips included with the TD-III? If you're having trouble with those, I'm not sure Sennheiser bi-flanges are a solution. But yes, the Meelec tips will fit. M11 and M11+ use the same housings so the do share the same nozzle size. However, the M11+ fit kit is much more extensive (albeit more expensive) than the M11 kit.

Quote:

[size=medium]
joker.. how does the PS200 stack up against the DBA ?  Both are in the same price range and are dual balanced armatures.. I get the feeling the PS200 might be a slightly less refined version of the DBA (PS200 reports of slight sibilance, etc.)?  Is it as musical and engaging as the DBA?  I'm curious as to how the bass quality/quantity also compares.. Considering the PS200 might be a little easier to get for many people than the perpetually out-of-stock DBA (as well as the DBA being quite fit-dependent to get the best sound), is it a viable alternative for around same price?

Thanks for all you do here, it's very much appreciated..
[/size]

There's a review of the PS200 on the front page. Not sure what I can add to that and the score it was given. Yes, the PS200 is easier to find. It may even be better-built and more isolating. But there's no way everyone who likes the DBA-02 will like the PS200 - it's a very specific sonic flavor.

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #2,324 of 16,931

Quote:
It may even be better-built and more isolating. 

Ahem.  I have been meaning to say that I think the DBA got short changed on isolation and especially build quality IMO.  The build is actually better than some of those ahead of it despite appearances.  In feel and actual reports of user failure the DBA has been better than a good number of higher ranked IEMs in that regard.  My 2 cents.  

Mar 7, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #2,325 of 16,931
FANTASTIC thread, I have learned so much about the IEM's out there. I was just wondering if you have any plans on reviewing Shure products? More specifically the Se215 that were just released, it would be interesting to see how they fair against the competition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back