Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Feb 24, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2,161 of 16,931
Added the H2O Audio Flex. I know these are probably going to be ignored since they fall quite low on the table but for the money I am quite happy with their sound as an exercise earphone. 

Also, a little contest for those who have been keeping up with my reviews. A while ago I wrote a review comparing the Thinksound TS01 to the Woodees IESW101B. Now that both the Thinksound and Woodees lineups have been refreshed, the time has come for a 'Got Wood? Part 2', which will be a 5-way review. Four of the contenders should be fairly obvious but if anyone can guess the fifth, they will win it as a prize. 

Some rules: the winning post must correctly identify all five earphones. Vague answers such as 'the wooden one from Thinksound' will not be accepted. Also, there will be a 12-hour timeout between consecutive guesses for a single head-fier - don't want anyone to be up all night spamming guesses.

Clues revealed so far:

1. As with most of my reviews, this one will be kept relatively fair. That means that I will not be pitting a top-tier earphone against something from the bargain bin.
2. Overlap with already-posted reviews is possible

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,162 of 16,931

Quote:
No they aren't, the turbine line isn't part of the Beats line. Prove me otherwise. 

I didn't think so; I'm going with this.

There's one question I've been wanting to ask for a while. Joker, what's the best IEM you've heard for rock for under ~$120, including used prices. From other threads, I got the idea that it was the Superfi. 5 pro, but with their notorious build quality I don't want to mess with those. I like an exciting sound, and accuracy isn't needed in the slightest bit. I just want to have fun listening to them, and I doubt I'll be doing any critical listening on the go anyway.

I really liked my NE-6 when I had them.

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #2,163 of 16,931
His preferences of sound signature for rock probably won't equal to yours (they don't to some extent to mine) but if you're looking at strictly technical aspects, the chart always helps.

Nice review of the H20s Mike, they're pretty nice for their price because they offer something different than most other budget IEMs do at this price point but it can take some time to getting used to. Also due to the fact that the noise made by water drowns out lower frequencies makes me wish they had more presence there but then we'll be making some compromises. 

Got Wood IEMs? I think I know them all but it will be fun to see how some approach this. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #2,165 of 16,931

Quote:

There's one question I've been wanting to ask for a while. Joker, what's the best IEM you've heard for rock for under ~$120, including used prices. From other threads, I got the idea that it was the Superfi. 5 pro, but with their notorious build quality I don't want to mess with those. I like an exciting sound, and accuracy isn't needed in the slightest bit. I just want to have fun listening to them, and I doubt I'll be doing any critical listening on the go anyway.

Best I've heard are the HJE900's if you can get them for that price. I've heard the DBA-02, RE262, FA Silver Bullet and ortofon e-q5 for reference 
smile.gif

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #2,167 of 16,931
FX-700?

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,168 of 16,931

Quote:
Best I've heard are the HJE900's if you can get them for that price. I've heard the DBA-02, RE262, FA Silver Bullet and ortofon e-q5 for reference 
smile.gif

That was actually my first consideration, based on their exciting sound. You like them for rock?

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2,169 of 16,931

Quote:
That was actually my first consideration, based on their exciting sound. You like them for rock?

Absolutely love em, for rock and metal!

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #2,170 of 16,931
I would say JVC FA-HX1000

Quote:
Added the H2O Audio Flex. I know these are probably going to be ignored since they fall quite low on the table but for the money I am quite happy with their sound as an exercise earphone. 

Also, a little contest for those who have been keeping up with my reviews. A while ago I wrote a review comparing the Thinksound TS01 to the Woodees IESW101B. Now that both the Thinksound and Woodees lineups have been refreshed, the time has come for a 'Got Wood? Part 2', which will be a 5-way review. Four of the contenders should be fairly obvious but if anyone can guess the fifth, they will win it as a prize. 

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #2,172 of 16,931
I guess it's more difficult than i first thought to figure out all of the earphones so let's say that all five are required to win.

Quote:

Inks is right - I really don't associate sound signature preferences with genre preferences to the same extent as many other head-fiers. A great earphone makes any genre sound great while a poor earphone may need a certain genre (or rather a lack of certain musical elements) to mask its flaws. Usually the earphones considered to be tuned for rock are those with a v-shaped signature and if that assumption is upheld right now my pick would be the ECCI PR401.

Quote:
His preferences of sound signature for rock probably won't equal to yours (they don't to some extent to mine) but if you're looking at strictly technical aspects, the chart always helps.

Nice review of the H20s Mike, they're pretty nice for their price because they offer something different than most other budget IEMs do at this price point but it can take some time to getting used to. Also due to the fact that the noise made by water drowns out lower frequencies makes me wish they had more presence there but then we'll be making some compromises. 

Got Wood IEMs? I think I know them all but it will be fun to see how some approach this. 

Yes, the bass of the H2Os will leave a bit to be desired for many listeners but I find its sound less fatiguing in the long run than, say, the Meelec M6. In a way, it has advantages as I really like to keep my volumes low during any workouts (since the ear is not only more easily fatigued but also more easily damaged during heightened physical activity). The sound of the Flex means that I never have to struggle to discern vocals even at lower volumes, which is something that annoys me about many other entry-level earphones.

Quote:
So the reason to get the surge over the flex would be...?

Several I can think of but none of them good enough for me personally. First would be bass - the Surge has more of it. Second would be tips - the thick rubber tips that come with Surge seal much better (for underwater and workout use) and the size selection is better as well. It takes a lot of force to pull the Surge from my ear when its sealed properly. The Flex comes with pretty typical (albeit good quality) silicone tips. Third would be the cable - the one on the flex is pretty thin and wouldn't be too difficult to ruin. The thicker plastic-sheathed cable of the Surge will last longer than the thinner rubbery affair on the Flex for those who are less careful.

Quote:
I'll guess Skullcandy Holua.

What an odd name - maybe that's the selling point?

Since it's in my signature I think it qualifies for 'obvious'. 

Quote:

That would be highly unfair to the aforementioned Holua...

Quote:
I would say JVC FA-HX1000

See above.

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,174 of 16,931
Gonna guess that the 5-way review's mystery entrant maybe the FX700.

The said, the H20 sound like something fun to experiment with if we can get our hands on a waterproof DAP =)

Feb 24, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,175 of 16,931

Quote:
@ljokerl, I would say Mingo-WM2 is going to be the new woodies!

Interesting guess but sadly not right.

Quote:
Gonna guess that the 5-way review's mystery entrant maybe the FX700.

The said, the H20 sound like something fun to experiment with if we can get our hands on a waterproof DAP =)

The FX700 would be highly unfair to the other entrants. I try to make my comparisons more or less even-handed. FX700 vs Skullcandy Holua would be a lot like pitting a racehorse against a one-legged donkey in a 500-m sprint (and that's considering the fact that the Holua is the best Skullcandy product I've heard).

Don't know about waterproof DAPs but I have a moisture-proof mp3 player pouch that I got off meritline for about $6. I don't trust it with my J3 for obvious reasons but my 3-year-old 1gb clip has taken a few dips in it with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back