Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Jan 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,683 of 16,931
The X5/X10 may look comfortable but those strain reliefs and over the ear fit looks like an absolute nightmare there. Microphonics can't be good on those models.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #1,684 of 16,931

Quote:
Still interested to see where HF5 places compared to ER4P in your standings  since HF5 is cheaper it could place higher on the chart than the ER4P due to value, the sound is similar to ER4P. I didn't wait for the review I purchased them anyway, but I'd still like to see where you place them. I see you have it on your list along with MC5 to be reviewed.

The 'value' rating doesn't factor into the chart in any way so there's really no way the HF5 can place higher than the ER4S (ER4P isn't on the chart). I do quite like the HF5 but I've been waiting to get my custom tips for them before finalizing & posting the review.

Quote:
I don't know if you're taking requests, but if you could get your hands on a pair of skullcandy ASYMs, I'd like to see how they stack up against the rest of the skullcandy iems you've reviewed.

I've actually heard the Asym briefly and aside from the comfortable form factor it didn't wow me. I'd say it's unlikely that I'll pick one up for review.

Quote:
Joker, have you ever auditioned any other klipsch models? Like x5 and x10? they look very comfortable for sure.

Nope - never got the chance. I did pick up the new S3, which I regret.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #1,685 of 16,931

Quote:
Angelopsaro said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Joker, have you ever auditioned any other klipsch models? Like x5 and x10? they look very comfortable for sure.

Ive had the X5 for and they are quite comfortable, deep insertion and great isolation (a little dangerous if wearing when driving or walking were there are a lot cars).
They are a little more microphonic than the RE0s and the strain relief is very thin and prone to  cracking.
For a BA I feel they are a level above the PL50s, but I prefer dynamic drivers now so would not put them above the RE0 or RE-ZEROs.
They do have a bit more bass quantity than the REs, but the REs bass has more impact and the RE0s definitely extend further in the highs.

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,686 of 16,931
Joker, just curious, If you must comment on the differences between Regular Jamz and Lil Jamz, how would it be and which would you prefer of the two? x)

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #1,687 of 16,931

Quote:
Joker, just curious, If you must comment on the differences between Regular Jamz and Lil Jamz, how would it be and which would you prefer of the two? x)

To be honest I'm not sure why Monster decided to put the Jamz and Lil' Jamz in the same model line. Aside from cosmetics, they are totally different. The Jamz are more like a Turbine Light - not as extended or detailed but smooth, warm, and generally pleasant. The Lil' Jamz are bright, balanced, and a bit fatiguing. They are more like the Dre Beats Tour than the Jamz or Turbine line. I like the Jamz better than the Lil' Jamz but prefer both to the Dre Beats Tour and still rank the original Turbine highest among the <$150 Monster models.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #1,688 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:

To be honest I'm not sure why Monster decided to put the Jamz and Lil' Jamz in the same model line. Aside from cosmetics, they are totally different. The Jamz are more like a Turbine Light - not as extended or detailed but smooth, warm, and generally pleasant. The Lil' Jamz are bright, balanced, and a bit fatiguing. They are more like the Dre Beats Tour than the Jamz or Turbine line. I like the Jamz better than the Lil' Jamz but prefer both to the Dre Beats Tour and still rank the original Turbine highest among the <$150 Monster models.

Phew.. Thought seems i think the same as you, Though i haven heard much of the Original Turbines (despite having an MD), Yup among the three is Jamz > Lil Jamz > Beats Tour for me. Hmm was thinking of buying Original Turbines as a gift to a couple of my friend for their coming birthday, I think its quite the step-up for their stock-buds, how you think about this? Joker?
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,690 of 16,931
Quote:
Phew.. Thought seems i think the same as you, Though i haven heard much of the Original Turbines (despite having an MD), Yup among the three is Jamz > Lil Jamz > Beats Tour for me. Hmm was thinking of buying Original Turbines as a gift to a couple of my friend for their coming birthday, I think its quite the step-up for their stock-buds, how you think about this? Joker? 
biggrin.gif

Turbines are as good a gift as any; they're certainly packaged well enough for it.

Quote:
Hi Joker, of all the IEMs you've heard or reviewed, what would you recommend to be a good upgrade for my Westone 2s? I'm wanting to retain it's signature while looking for improvements in overall SQ especially bass extension / depth and timbre. Mids are still my focal point tho. Thanks

In the universal world the W2 is pretty close to top-tier. For something with a bit more depth and still some focus on mids you'd probably be looking at either the UM3X/SM3 or one of the low/mid-focused dynamics - Monster MD or Radius DDM - or a custom.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #1,691 of 16,931
Joke, enjoy your reviews.  Thanks.

Could you be persuaded to include the review date for each?  It would help a lot to put things into perspective, as it seems that IEMs continue to improve at the various price tiers.  Also, it can be tough for the reader knowing that some the earphones have gone through several distinct generations and sometimes all there is to go on is the photo posted.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #1,692 of 16,931

Quote:
Joke, enjoy your reviews.  Thanks.

Could you be persuaded to include the review date for each?  It would help a lot to put things into perspective, as it seems that IEMs continue to improve at the various price tiers.  Also, it can be tough for the reader knowing that some the earphones have gone through several distinct generations and sometimes all there is to go on is the photo posted.

The reviews are added to each tier in chronological order and are approximately evenly spaced in the lower tiers between the start of the thread (~November 2009 for the original version of it) and now. That would mean that something like #3A3 would have been added about a year ago while #3A30 would only be 3-4 months old and #3A40 would be one of the most recent additions. I've always taken the review dates off to keep the table of contents clutter-free but I can leave them up or add them to the review itself if that would help anyone out. I guess I'd need to do some work with the google cache of this page to figure out all of  the dates. 

As for revisions, there are only a couple of earphones I can think of for which that may be an issue, and I usually mention which revision I am working with somewhere in the review. For cheaper stuff like the Meelec earphones I always leave the latest version's review up since older sets get dropped out of production almost immediately.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #1,693 of 16,931
Joker, as a suggestion to the review, for newer reviews perhaps you could put up a hiss rating? I wouldn't ask you to go and add something like that to all your old reviews (waaay too much work) but for newer reviews it might be a good idea? Usually specs, ie. sensitivity and impedance, are enough to give you a good idea of the hiss; but on occasion they can be misleading. So I'd say that a hiss rating would definitely be helpful, especially for people who don't typically amp their phones.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #1,694 of 16,931

Quote:

I would very much agree with this based on what I heard in store via my D2. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,695 of 16,931
CK-10 IMPRESSIONS:

Well, I have been listening to |joker|'s CK-10 for a couple of days, and while they are very enjoyable I hate to say that I don't like them as much as he does.  

I do like the feel of the tangle-free cable, and they feel solidly built.  Because of their shape, I can only get a good seal with them wearing them with the cable over my ears.  And wearing them that way means practically no cable microphonics.  The CK-10 are engaging sounding and they don't need to be amped to enjoy them, but pairing them with my Pico Slim is still an upgrade over listening un-amped.

However, when I turn up the CK-10 playback levels to volume match the bass and mids to my UM3X, the CK-10 treble becomes too forward/boosted for my tastes.  Fortunately it's in the 8K-10K or higher range, so there is little sibilance boosting in most music but it's an issue with some tracks.  It's not so much of a "hot" sounding treble, but rather just a forward sounding treble.  The CK-10 may have a similar frequency response to my RE-252 or my old Phonak PFE, but the CK-10 are a bit smoother and more organic/liquid sounding than the RS-252 (and maybe a little warmer too).  I need to do more comparisons than the brief ones I've done, but both of these IEM are more engaging than the new RS-262, which are less aggressive sounding than the RE-252, but which when unamped can sound a little bland vs the RE-252 or CK-10.  The CK-10 bass is good without boost or weakness, but it's not as strong as my UM3X.   The CK-10 have good detail and speed, but I feel that my UM3X still sound more transparent and disappear better.  So, I do like the CK-10, but I don't see them filling a gap in my collection.  

In my case I would pick the UM3X over the CK-10, which themselves are surpassed by the new W4 that I'm reviewing. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back