Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #1,411 of 16,931
IF you need isolation don't go the ps210 way, it isolates a little more than a conventional earbud. I even bought the ps 210 to use in the lab so I can hear my colleagues.

Quote:
|joker|,

Thank you for your reply about the CK7's

What set of double (or triple) flange-tips would work with the Phiaton 210's?  You mention in your review that the poor isolation almost makes a flange purchase necessary.  I shop on Amazon 99% of the time if that helps.

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #1,412 of 16,931

Quote:
Ha, I was about to suggest the Eterna before I read the last line. That would be a very good way to do. I don't think the SB is bassier than the NE-6 but it does many things so well that you may be able to live with that.

Thanks for the help! I'll give them both a try and post some impressions. Where would you recommend I order the earphones from? Looking for a seller with a good refund policy because I'll most likely only be keeping one of these (too low on money 
frown.gif
).

Quote:
You really should try the Shure E2c tips on the NE-6, or Complys T400 foam tips. These will really help the sound.

Yeah, I'll grab some new tips when I order the new headphones and give them a try with the NE-6 as well. Not sure about the Complys though, as I heard that they limit sound. I'll probably true some Monster or PL30 single flange tips.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #1,413 of 16,931
Quote:
Thanks for the help! I'll give them both a try and post some impressions. Where would you recommend I order the earphones from? Looking for a seller with a good refund policy because I'll most likely only be keeping one of these (too low on money 
frown.gif
).

I don't know if any of the Fischer audio dealers accept non-defective returns - you probably want to check their individual policies. Bugdenaudio.com is the authorized North American dealer so perhaps you can start there. Buying used is another alternative since you won't lose much resale value and there's no ethical ambiguities with re-selling earphones if you don't like them.

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #1,414 of 16,931
nice reviews... sucks that you said the m3 isn't worth the extra $ over the m2s :/ should of waited for the review before i bought them oh wells

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #1,415 of 16,931

Quote:
IF you need isolation don't go the ps210 way, it isolates a little more than a conventional earbud. I even bought the ps 210 to use in the lab so I can hear my colleagues.

Quote:
|joker|,

Thank you for your reply about the CK7's

What set of double (or triple) flange-tips would work with the Phiaton 210's?  You mention in your review that the poor isolation almost makes a flange purchase necessary.  I shop on Amazon 99% of the time if that helps.

Thanks, yeah I don't know whether or not I want isolation or not...decisions decisions... sigh. 

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,416 of 16,931

Quote:
nice reviews... sucks that you said the m3 isn't worth the extra $ over the m2s :/ should of waited for the review before i bought them oh wells

To be fair I only think that's true for the mainstream (read: non-head-fi) audience and is largely a result of me having more faith in the fit and isolation of the M2. Barring that the M3 definitely the superior earphone and clearly one of the best in the sub-$100 range (definitely in the top 5 for me now that the HJE900 is no longer available).

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #1,417 of 16,931
^Yeah. It's sad to see the hje900 withdrawn from the US market. One can only hope that panasonic is planning on unveiling its successor soon. Its sound signature was definitely one of a kind.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #1,418 of 16,931
Is there such a thing as a RE-262 with a bit more bass quantity? I can already tell I'm going to be heading towards the JH16 side of the high end IEM spectrum...

Been listening to these for a while and really loving them. Listened to The Eagles - Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over) tonight, absolutely the best I've ever heard it. Really felt like I was in the audience. Overall resolution aside, I'm hearing great things, and I'm still not amping or DACing them properly!

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #1,419 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

To be fair I only think that's true for the mainstream (read: non-head-fi) audience and is largely a result of me having more faith in the fit and isolation of the M2. Barring that the M3 definitely the superior earphone and clearly one of the best in the sub-$100 range (definitely in the top 5 for me now that the HJE900 is no longer available).

I agree that the M3 is technically more capable and more balanced than the M2 which is still a fun and inexpensive earphone to play with.  Once I got enough burn-in on the M3 to reduce the "out of the box" cupped hands sound in the M3's mids they just pulled ahead of the M2 from there.

I've also been spending time with the Nuforce NE-700 and think you should give those a try when you have the chance.  Think Sunrise Audio Xcape with warmer fuller bass and mids while retaining similar detail, but being less forward and more spacious sounding.  They don't have the slight treble tilt of the Xcape, nor the slight bass tilt of the M3.  They're a little more laid back than the M3, with slightly less bass although having more than the Xcape.  They're only a little less efficient than the M3, but noticeably easier to drive than the Xcape.  I don't even know how it's possible to rank these when they're all capable but cater to different tastes.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #1,421 of 16,931
Well since the HJE900 is no longer available maybe it's time to reflect that on your price for the HJE900 in the first page of this thread or mention that it has been discontinued in the US.

In the sub $100 range the M2 is quickly becoming one of my favorite and I still have my HJE900 which are both pretty good values at $100 and under although the latter is no longer available in the US.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #1,422 of 16,931

Quote:
Well since the HJE900 is no longer available maybe it's time to reflect that on your price for the HJE900 in the first page of this thread or mention that it has been discontinued in the US.

In the sub $100 range the M2 is quickly becoming one of my favorite and I still have my HJE900 which are both pretty good values at $100 and under although the latter is no longer available in the US.

501! Oh was I suspose to say something....uh nice thread Pana are the king of all IEM along with countless of others I haven't tried. Lol jking anyhow, keep up the good work Joker and please throw up a SM3 review so I can stop bugging you. Lol anyways cheers and take your time.

Edit: Where is my banner? 100+ head-fi'er is contradicting 501 we have a problem, I'm going to get the guns 
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #1,423 of 16,931
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a RE-262 with a bit more bass quantity? I can already tell I'm going to be heading towards the JH16 side of the high end IEM spectrum...

Been listening to these for a while and really loving them. Listened to The Eagles - Hotel California (Hell Freezes Over) tonight, absolutely the best I've ever heard it. Really felt like I was in the audience. Overall resolution aside, I'm hearing great things, and I'm still not amping or DACing them properly!

No, there isn't. You can move to a bassier earphone but you will be sacrificing the unique balance of the RE262 and most likely the soundstage as well. The Monster MD and IE8 are the main competitors but the IE8 doesn't sound as natural on the whole as the RE262 does and may be too distant-sounding for you. The MD, on the other hand, doesn't really have the separation or sheer soundstage size of the 262. Both are much bassier though. 

Quote:
I agree that the M3 is technically more capable and more balanced than the M2 which is still a fun and inexpensive earphone to play with.  Once I got enough burn-in on the M3 to reduce the "out of the box" cupped hands sound in the M3's mids they just pulled ahead of the M2 from there.  
I've also been spending time with the Nuforce NE-700 and think you should give those a try when you have the chance.  Think Sunrise Audio Xcape with warmer fuller bass and mids while retaining similar detail, but being less forward and more spacious sounding.  They don't have the slight treble tilt of the Xcape, nor the slight bass tilt of the M3.  They're a little more laid back than the M3, with slightly less bass although having more than the Xcape.  They're only a little less efficient than the M3, but noticeably easier to drive than the Xcape.  I don't even know how it's possible to rank these when they're all capable but cater to different tastes.

Thanks, sent Nuforce an email. Let's see if they'll let me try one. I hope my being somewhat less enamored with the NE-6 than most doesn't bother them. 

I agree that it's very difficult to rank these but in the end I feel like I am sacrificing more detail, clarity, and resolution when I move from a top-tier to the M3 than the Xcape. Of course if bass impact, soundstage size, and thickness of note are more important than detail, clarity, and resolution, one could make the opposite argument, which is why I sincerely hope noone simply looks at the numerical scores I give out...

Quote:

Yeah, I'll change the price with the next update. Seems to still be available at $130-140 which is around the price they were when I wrote the review a bit under a year ago. Also, I have a feeling you'd like the M3 quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back