Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #1,202 of 16,931
hi guys!
I have to make a gift to my son and unfortunately I have no experience in this field.
What headphones do you recommend for (max max max) 30 €(euro) all included?
(i'm in italy).
i've seen in mp4fornation the :

MS PL30    16.67€
Brainwavz M1  29.26€

I read that the first model has a problem of hissing with the Cowon i9.
the same problem is present with the sansa Fuze and PL30??
Can you advice me some other models, maybe in another shops?

P.s: the players that i have chosen are good?around 100€, these are the best choices?

thank you very much!

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,203 of 16,931
Quote:
This Post was born in the Olympus and gets 10/10 in epicness.
Thanks a lot Joker for your time, dedication and devotion. Keep it up!

Thanks!

Quote:
hi guys!
I have to make a gift to my son and unfortunately I have no experience in this field.
What headphones do you recommend for (max max max) 30 €(euro) all included?
(i'm in italy).
i've seen in mp4fornation the :

MS PL30    16.67€
Brainwavz M1  29.26€

I read that the first model has a problem of hissing with the Cowon i9.
the same problem is present with the sansa Fuze and PL30??
Can you advice me some other models, maybe in another shops?

P.s: the players that i have chosen are good?around 100€, these are the best choices?

thank you very much!

Unfortunately I don't have any hands-on experience with the Cowon i9. The PL30 is pretty sensitive but it doesn't hiss with my Fuze/clip or Cowon J3. Hisses with some other sources though so who knows. However, with those prices I would definitely make the jump to the Brainwavz M1 or the new ProAlpha (known as the ViSang R02 in this review). The M1 definitely won't hiss with any consumer-level portable player as it's pretty inefficient. 

As for portable players, I really don't have a very good grasp on what's out there but perhaps someone in the portable source forum can make other suggestions. I don't remember why I skipped the Cowon i9 but I don't recall reading anything bad about its sound.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #1,204 of 16,931
thanks for the reply!
i've seen the pro alpha in the site and they have the same prices!
I'm directed to the fuze sansa with rockbox plugin...which is "better" for this consumer player?
give me a name because i'm sailing in the dark
smily_headphones1.gif
another last question..in your opinion, what these headphones are inefficient with these players? they are very castrated or only minimally?

thanks a lot!
bye

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,205 of 16,931
He's saying the PL30 can hiss, and the M1 should not hiss, hiss is usually very low anyway, you can't really hear it with music playing.

For 100 euros there are many players to choose from, perhaps you should spend less on the player and more on the earphones, like Sansa Clip+ and FA Eterna or something like that.

Nov 17, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,207 of 16,931
Can't be said enough..Thank you Thank you Thank you for this thread. I know music is subjective and putting a number on them is kinda wrong but these numbers(engineering student, need the numbers to compare...feelings don't play well on choosing a iem)  along with the pros and cons makes life way easier to at least pick out a few to choose from. Would appreciate it if a the Sleek Sa-6 could get in line for a review. Thinking about getting that or Sa-7 (depending on how reviews pan out) for Xmas.. Once again cheers and keep up the good work

Nov 17, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,208 of 16,931
Quote:
thanks for the reply!
i've seen the pro alpha in the site and they have the same prices!
I'm directed to the fuze sansa with rockbox plugin...which is "better" for this consumer player?
give me a name because i'm sailing in the dark
smily_headphones1.gif
another last question..in your opinion, what these headphones are inefficient with these players? they are very castrated or only minimally?

Yes, the M1 and ProAlpha have the same price because they are basically the same earphone with different tuning. The ProAlpha is tuned for a slightly warmer and bassier sound while the M1 is more balanced. Either will work fine from a Fuze or any other modern player - all that the inefficiency of the M1 means is that I have to dial the volume up to around 10/40 on my J3 to get the same output from them as I do with the ProAlpha at 7/40. 

Quote:
any chance that you could add Grado GR10 to this list? thanks

To be honest I wasn't planning on it. I had a really bad experience with Grado following my review of the iGi and plan to leave no more of my money with them as a company (I've even gone in a different upgrade path with my home cans). If someone lends me a GR10 for review down the line, I won't complain, but I have no intention of buying my own.

Quote:
Can't be said enough..Thank you Thank you Thank you for this thread. I know music is subjective and putting a number on them is kinda wrong but these numbers(engineering student, need the numbers to compare...feelings don't play well on choosing a iem)  along with the pros and cons makes life way easier to at least pick out a few to choose from. Would appreciate it if a the Sleek Sa-6 could get in line for a review. Thinking about getting that or Sa-7 (depending on how reviews pan out) for Xmas.. Once again cheers and keep up the good work

Thanks - good to hear that from a fellow engineer! I've wanted to review the SA6 for some time now but it never panned out and now I guess there's not much a point as it's an outgoing model (and I have my hands pretty full). Maybe the SA7...

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #1,210 of 16,931
I always thought the M1 would have more bass than the ProAlpha. I had the R02 although was never really for music purposes but they didn't have that much bass to begin with compared to a lot of other earphones I own or have heard in that price range.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #1,211 of 16,931

Quote:
He's saying the PL30 can hiss, and the M1 should not hiss, hiss is usually very low anyway, you can't really hear it with music playing.

For 100 euros there are many players to choose from, perhaps you should spend less on the player and more on the earphones, like Sansa Clip+ and FA Eterna or something like that.

when going through a amp, many IEMs have some serious hissing

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #1,213 of 16,931

Quote:
Yes, the M1 and ProAlpha have the same price because they are basically the same earphone with different tuning. The ProAlpha is tuned for a slightly warmer and bassier sound while the M1 is more balanced. Either will work fine from a Fuze or any other modern player - all that the inefficiency of the M1 means is that I have to dial the volume up to around 10/40 on my J3 to get the same output from them as I do with the ProAlpha at 7/40. 

fantastic!thanks for your job and for your time!
your passion has arrived in italy, in particular in rome.....

very compliments!
beerchug.gif

Nov 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,215 of 16,931
Quote:
Amazing job ljokerl!  Can't wait for your SM3 review!

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
I always thought the M1 would have more bass than the ProAlpha. I had the R02 although was never really for music purposes but they didn't have that much bass to begin with compared to a lot of other earphones I own or have heard in that price range.

Nope. The R02/ProAlpha is not a bass-monster but it's not exactly lacking at the low end either. At least 5dB of bass boost according to the graph. I'm guessing the M1 is a bit closer to being flat when it comes to mid-bass.

Quote:
Great post, but I see one problem, TOO MUCH! I want them all! How can one decide?!

Well, tell all these companies not to release any more earphones 
wink.gif

Quote:
fantastic!thanks for your job and for your time! your passion has arrived in italy, in particular in rome.....

Thanks and good luck. Hope both you and your son like the earphones you pick out!

Oh and it's a small world. Looks like some measly 12,000 km...

Quote:
Great recent batch of reviews joker as ever, they are a good read.

etysmile.gif

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back