Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,186 of 16,931
I know he is a good reviewer. I bought the hje900 because of his review and I was happy with it.
The thing is that RE0 lacks bass while q-jays has good quality and quantity bass...

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #1,187 of 16,931

Quote:
I know he is a good reviewer. I bought the hje900 because of his review and I was happy with it.
The thing is that RE0 lacks bass while q-jays has good quality and quantity bass...

Agreed, but quantity......eh I disagree I ditched the Jays (not because of bass), acquired the Phonaks and haven't looked back. Quality yes quantity no, medium perhaps. Different ears the Phonak sounded more punchy, as well as having more body with both filters. The jays are comfortable though...

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #1,188 of 16,931
well it is strange you guys find the q-jays to lack bass... little for me means lack.

Nov 16, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #1,190 of 16,931
Eh, it's a silly argument. I am sure much my own ranking doesn't bode well with some people although I do my best to explain my reasoning. It's most pointless to argue about sound as it's always subject to preferences (well.. to an extent. When someone prefers the AudioSource IEBAS to the CK10 I will quit). I just remarked on the microphonics which aren't very subjective as it seems almost as if dfkt had it in for the CK10 on that front.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #1,191 of 16,931
Hey, as long as the reviewer is objectively reviewing, isn't being a blatant fanboy/shill, can compare and contrast, and is articulate enough to explain what he hears, I'm happy.  Being that all ears are different, and we all hear differently, I take any notes on fit, comfort, and relative value with a grain of salt.  Not that I'd think they were WRONG, I just know better than to assume that I'd have the same response. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #1,193 of 16,931

Quote:
anyone here who owned RE0 and q-jays?
That chart is strange. It says little bass to q-jays and medium to RE0????

I have both, and q-Jays has more bass with sony hybrid, TX100 and even more with olives. q-Jays are way more punchy than RE0.

q-Jays is better than RE0 in many aspects (without amp).

Keep the good  work |joker|.

Nov 16, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #1,194 of 16,931
thanks, guess what I did the same thing you did.
I registered at abi only to disagree with that q-jays statement. and you made the first post about it too, lol!

Quote:
Quote:
anyone here who owned RE0 and q-jays?
That chart is strange. It says little bass to q-jays and medium to RE0????

I have both, and q-Jays has more bass with sony hybrid, TX100 and even more with olives. q-Jays are way more punchy than RE0.

q-Jays is better than RE0 in many aspects (without amp).

Keep the good  work |joker|.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #1,195 of 16,931
Hello. I'm looking for new IEMs in the $70-$100 range. I am currently using Sony MDR-EX56LP and want to upgrade. Would I need an amp since I am mostly going to use my iPhone. Are RE0s one of the more recommended IEMs in the list since it's higher up on the chart?

I listen mostly to R&B, hip hop, and on occasion alternative and electronic.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #1,196 of 16,931
well in my conscience the best suited for you at that price and likes is the panasonic hje900. but you have to see if you need high isolation or average isolation. you can find the hje900 at 75 USD. read the hje900 review to see if it pleases you.
The RE0 is light on bass which is needed for your likings...

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #1,199 of 16,931
Quote:

ljokerl,

Thanks for all the hard work you do. I bought the IE8 yesterday. Your review was instrumental is my final decision to go with IE8. What a fantastic thread !!!

Quote:
amazing resource, thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks!

Quote:
Hello. I'm looking for new IEMs in the $70-$100 range. I am currently using Sony MDR-EX56LP and want to upgrade. Would I need an amp since I am mostly going to use my iPhone. Are RE0s one of the more recommended IEMs in the list since it's higher up on the chart?

I listen mostly to R&B, hip hop, and on occasion alternative and electronic.

Whether you need an amp or not depends much more on the earphone you are planning to buy than on your source. AFAIK the iPhone should drive almost all of the IEMs in the thread just fine unamped (especially those in the <$100 bracket). 

As a general rule 'higher up the chart' does mean equal 'better' but you should definitely read some full reviews of the earphones you're looking into to make sure that they have the type of sound you want. In addition, you have to decide on what factors aside from sound are more important to you as some earphones isolate more than others, some come with more bundled accessories, etc etc.

The RE0 is very good for a certain type of sound - neutral, balanced, and  detailed - but not everyone will like them equally. For R&B and Hip-hop perhaps something else would be a better choice. How about the Thinksound TS02+mic? Very easy-going sound and you'll get iPhone functionality as a bonus. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,200 of 16,931
I second the TS02 for Rap and Hip-Hop.  Plus acoustic pieces.  The bass on the 900 isn't of sufficient character for those genres IMHO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back