Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 10, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,126 of 16,931
FA Genesis is available but it is a dynamic driver... it is 60 USD... so not so high end..

Quote:
Quote:
this thread is amazing! thanks!

Thanks, and glad you're liking the R03s 
wink.gif

Quote:
You know what?  I'm surprised to still see no SA6 review.

Not that surprising considering Sleek wouldn't even send me an SA1 to demo. Had to get my own to see what they were hiding. I've actually tried trading for the SA6 a couple of times in the past (especially back when I had a score of high-end single-armature IEMs in my possession) but it's never worked out. Perhaps I'll get to try the SA6R/SA7 but perhaps not. Keeping pretty busy as is and more interested in the RE262, Xcape, FA Genesis/new dual-driver, etc. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #1,128 of 16,931

Quote:
Quick question: Would you say the Ortofon EQ7 bass is more impactful and richer than that of qJays?

More impactful - probably not. At best the EQ-7 has *slightly* more present bass but not in terms of sheer impact. It does possess certain characteristics of a dynamic-driver earphone that may make its bass more appealing than the clean-and-dry q-JAYS but I wouldn't put them on different tiers in terms of bass presentation.

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #1,129 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
I was looking at the RE0 but not sure what they can offer over the PL50 (both unamped).  I might recommend the RE0 or Fischer Audio SB to my brother, who is looking for a pair.

I'd love to have a pair of the Westone UM3X or EarSonic SM3.

If I can get the Triple.fi 10, I will.

I think RE0 sounds better than Triple.fi - more balanced and coherent. I also prefer RE0 over UM3X. The SM3 and SE530/535 are probably the only universal IEMs which I would consider a true upgrade from RE0.

X2. I have the UE TF10 pro (custom re-shelled) and the RE0 sounds better to me in every thing except bass. With an external amp or EQing, I get the type of bass I like. I regret having the TF10 re-shelled because now I can't even play around with different tips to tame those excessively bright and harsh treble.  On some tracks, the treble becomes way over the top for my taste. I am now looking at the IE8 and Monster Turbine copper or I might just spring for the SM3 if I can sell the TF10 at a reasonable price for someone who want to have them re-shelled.

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #1,130 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:
Quick question: Would you say the Ortofon EQ7 bass is more impactful and richer than that of qJays?

More impactful - probably not. At best the EQ-7 has *slightly* more present bass but not in terms of sheer impact. It does possess certain characteristics of a dynamic-driver earphone that may make its bass more appealing than the clean-and-dry q-JAYS but I wouldn't put them on different tiers in terms of bass presentation.

Well, I agree for the most part, except that I think both e-Q7 and q-jays sound quite dry and in fact, I think e-Q7 is actually dryer than q-jays, which is not a bad thing of course, just different voicing. In other parts of the spectrum I also feel that these two IEMs trade blows - e-Q7 has richer mids with better texture and perhaps more natural, less fatiguing treble, whereas q-jays are a bit faster, clearer and more resolved. I feel that in the treble q-jays have an advantage of better micro detail and more refinement compared to e-Q7, which sound a bit grainy by comparison. Overall, both are great IEMs and I don't think I can say that e-Q7 is overall better than q-jays - they are just too different to compare. The richer, wider sound of the e-Q7 will appeal to some people more, while others may prefer the q-jays' better separation and overall detail resolution and won't mind a somewhat compressed soundstage.

Quote:
DVDIT said:

Quote:
Pianist said:

Quote:
jackson said:

I was looking at the RE0 but not sure what they can offer over the PL50 (both unamped).  I might recommend the RE0 or Fischer Audio SB to my brother, who is looking for a pair.

I'd love to have a pair of the Westone UM3X or EarSonic SM3.

If I can get the Triple.fi 10, I will.

I think RE0 sounds better than Triple.fi - more balanced and coherent. I also prefer RE0 over UM3X. The SM3 and SE530/535 are probably the only universal IEMs which I would consider a true upgrade from RE0.

X2. I have the UE TF10 pro (custom re-shelled) and the RE0 sounds better to me in every thing except bass. With an external amp or EQing, I get the type of bass I like. I regret having the TF10 re-shelled because now I can't even play around with different tips to tame those excessively bright and harsh treble.  On some tracks, the treble becomes way over the top for my taste. I am now looking at the IE8 and Monster Turbine copper or I might just spring for the SM3 if I can sell the TF10 at a reasonable price for someone who want to have them re-shelled.

Hell yeah, when properly amped, the bass on RE0 is fantastic!
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #1,132 of 16,931

Quote:
Damnit, so how would you guys compare the FA DBA-02 vs RE-ZERO ?

You're making this difficult!

:)

Rawrster can answer that.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #1,133 of 16,931
It's not that hard a decision :)

First off there is availability. DBA-02 is not readily available like the RE-Zero so it will depend on how patient you are. Secondly is price. RE-Zero is $99 while DBA-02 is $170 or so (I can't remember the price). In terms of sound they are close and I did do some minor comparisons between the two when I decided to sell one of them. I still have the RE-Zero but I will admit that the DBA-02 is the superior phone but I don't feel like I am missing much with the RE-Zero. The thing about the RE-Zero is that unless you get lucky and have an output that makes contact with the balanced plug on the RE-Zero you will need an adapter and luckily for you HifiMan provides two adapters to choose from.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,134 of 16,931

Quote:

First off there is availability. DBA-02 is not readily available like the RE-Zero so it will depend on how patient you are. Secondly is price. RE-Zero is $99 while DBA-02 is $170 or so (I can't remember the price). In terms of sound they are close and I did do some minor comparisons between the two when I decided to sell one of them. I still have the RE-Zero but I will admit that the DBA-02 is the superior phone but I don't feel like I am missing much with the RE-Zero. The thing about the RE-Zero is that unless you get lucky and have an output that makes contact with the balanced plug on the RE-Zero you will need an adapter and luckily for you HifiMan provides two adapters to choose from.

Can you expand on that a bit please? Thanks.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #1,135 of 16,931
rawrster & Pianist,

Coming from the RE0, and as someone looking RE0 type sound quality but with bass that has more impact and deeper, wider soundstage, and silky smooth mids, would you consider any of these a natural upgrade and superior in overall sound quality to the REO ? I am looking at DBA-02 IE8, MC Turbine Pro Copper, Westone 3 and SM3 ? I want one top tier primary universal that works with all types of genres but I mostly listen to world music and  I am a sucker for vocal, BTW.

Nov 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #1,136 of 16,931

Quote:
Quote:

Can you expand on that a bit please? Thanks.

The RE-Zero can sound thin in the bass area and some details I am accustomed to hearing from other earphones are not there in the RE-Zero. The bass esp in the sub bass is an area of issue in the RE-Zero so there's stuff missing there and it doesn't sound natural due to the bass response. The DBA-02 while suffer from a similar problem does it better than the RE-Zero and has a bit more weight to make it sound more natural. Also the DBA-02 does have a bit better clarity, speed and resolution. IMO going from the RE-Zero to the DBA-02 is like using an amp when you want to the last couple % of SQ. The difference isn't as much as say from an ER6i to the RE262.

I find the RE-Zero and DBA-02 to have similar sound signatures but I think of the DBA-02 as a slightly refined RE-Zero in some areas at least when I had them both.

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,137 of 16,931
quick question, is there any iem under $100 that has the similar sound sig to the m50s? i currently use the m50 for home and the ie6s for portable use but i think the ie6 sound terrible clarity  wise. Im looking at the re0 and hje900 but i don't know which to choose because of the lack of bass on the re0 and the reviews of the hje900 sounding distant and harsh? i was going to go for the hje900 because of their praise and build quality but i just read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521977/hifiman-re0-vs-panasonic-hje900-vs-nuforce-ne-7m-review and now i dont know what to choose. please help. im looking for very clear treble (i like hearing everything so i don't care if its analytical) good mids and good bass (similar to m50, not like the overpowered ie6).

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #1,138 of 16,931

Quote:
was going to go for the hje900 because of their praise and build quality but i just read this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521977/hifiman-re0-vs-panasonic-hje900-vs-nuforce-ne-7m-review and now i dont know what to choose. 

Not to imply anything I can't back up but that review is way too complimentary of the NE-7M based on what I heard out of them. They are good phones, no doubt, but quite a few of the details in that review don't work for me. If you want my opinion I'd say ignore that one and go with the HJE900 over the RE0. They won't be too similar to the M50s but should be way closer than the IE6 (which doesn't impress me much).  The Sunrise Xcape is another one you could  take a look at though it's quite bit dryer than the M50 tends to be and doesn't have the bass weight or sparkle of the M50.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #1,140 of 16,931
I just got a pair of RE252s in a temporary trade with a local head-fi'er. Impressions: the driver used in these things is absolutely incredible. In his review of them, kostalex notes that they are only slightly behind the $1000 Beyerdynamic T1 and have a similar overall sound. I would probably agree with him. However, all that great sound is ruined for me by the horrible fit - I just can't for the life of me get these things to stay in my ears and the bass, soundstage and isolation suffer a lot. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back