Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Sep 28, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #841 of 16,931
Quote:
How does the CK10 go with the E7? That's looking like the portable rig I'm aiming for at the moment (iPod>L3>E7>CK10). I'd like to say that it'd be my 'final' portable rig, but y'know... This website is a black hole. I need to find gainful employment and get some cash together. 
smile_phones.gif

The E7 doesn't really have a great amp section so unless you want it as a DAC I wouldn't recommend it. It does have really high stereo separation which the CK10 doesn't need. There were measurements done by DFKT somewhere that show the same. Tonally I think it works better with warmer earphones but the bass boost (on +1) will help the CK10. If you want something that meshes with the CK10 and is portable perhaps the T3D will be a better option. My T4 works fine even though I don't really use it, as does my mini3, which I use more.

Quote:
They do sell the filters separately and I've been toying with getting myself a pair with the grey and black filters as well.
http://store.audeoworld.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=audeoworld&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=949871242&Count2=867011666

That's interesting - based on those prices I don't see why anyone would buy a PFE when they could buy the Perfect Bass plus grey and black filters for the same amount.

Quote:

joker, i probably won't let go of my ck10s ever.  if you dig up the ck10 thread, there's a record of me searching high and low for a few months looking for them.  haha.

Yes, I remember. I think that was our first glimpse of things to come in terms of CK10 availability. Glad that everyone who wanted one was able to get it. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #842 of 16,931
@joker: Just out of curiosity how's the SA1 cable in terms of does it have lots of memory and is it a microphonic cable? I'm thinking of getting a SA1 cable since the 1m cable is annoying compared to a 1.2m and the memory of that cable.

One of the things about the CK10 is that they are quite difficult to get a good picture on camera which only adds to their mystique
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> Here's an example of a bad picture of them I took a while back when I had them. The housing is actually a blueish greenish color but also shiny so it's hard to get a picture that isn't multi toned or black. CK10 top rip right and it's brother on top left. There's mostly good built earphones in this pic except for one and the CK10/CK100 beats them all in build.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #843 of 16,931
That pic makes it easy to see just how tiny the CK10's in particular are compared to the Coppers/MD's/Orto. 

Annoying update #1, got the confirmation email from the site I ordered the ck10's from with tracking number. Says they were received by the Hong Kong post on the 27th so I'm hoping I get them sometime next week 
biggrin.gif
 *fingers crossed*

Sep 30, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #844 of 16,931
Quote:
And thank you for the CX280! I did personally think that the (mid/upper) bass was plentiful but then we all know my inclinations towards 'bass-light' phones
smile_phones.gif
. The IE7s might indeed be a good choice for you though I've been very impressed with the space and air of the Thinksound TS02 as well. Compared them to IE7s yesterday and couldn't pick a clear winner. If the price of the TS02 drops 20-30% as happened with the other thinksound earphones, they'll be a real strong contender as they can compete with the Eterna/VB/Xears TD100/Brainwavz M2 crop in their own (warm and lush) way.

Well, it's not that I don't find the bass plentiful as much as a find the lower frequencies to be somewhat lacking a bit in body.  It was really odd when I first listened to the CX280 (after my brief period of wrestling with the fit as I usually do with any new pair of earphones) as the CX250 and CX300 seems quite a bit more meaty (and bloated, at least in the latter) in the bass response.  I do prefer the CX280's style of bass presentation quite a bit more, though neither is really what I would call ideal.  Of course, it could be just me with my oddly-shaped ear canals that contributes to the abundant-but-lean bass response that I'm hearing.

I might have to check out the TS02 some time, especially if you find them comparable to the IE7.  I'm kind of hoping that Thinksound would make a version that doesn't have the mic, but it's not really an issue.  The only real problem now is a lack of funds...

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #845 of 16,931

Quote:
That pic makes it easy to see just how tiny the CK10's in particular are compared to the Coppers/MD's/Orto. 

Annoying update #1, got the confirmation email from the site I ordered the ck10's from with tracking number. Says they were received by the Hong Kong post on the 27th so I'm hoping I get them sometime next week 
biggrin.gif
 *fingers crossed*

Actually someone mentioned the CK10 in another thread and tempted me to buy them again. They were going for a bundle for a bit under 300 and made me consider selling my M50 and some other stuff and get them again lol..If there's going to be any universal I buy a second time this is it. However them being discontinued..it really means it's only available in Asia correct like the CK100 not being sold in USA?

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #846 of 16,931

Quote:
Actually someone mentioned the CK10 in another thread and tempted me to buy them again. They were going for a bundle for a bit under 300 and made me consider selling my M50 and some other stuff and get them again lol..If there's going to be any universal I buy a second time this is it. However them being discontinued..it really means it's only available in Asia correct like the CK100 not being sold in USA?

That's what I found yes, the only places I found them were import sites. AccessoryJack has them as does Jaben however Jaben has the bundle with them in it listed as having some "item without enough inventory". Basically, something isn't in stock for them to add to the bundle if you were to buy it. I emailed Jaben 3 times over the course of a month and they never returned a single one so I chose not to go that route. You can't find out what is missing from the bundle until you order it it seems like as well. 

AccessoryJack seems to have them not listed as in stock but I think you can still add them to your cart.

Sep 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #847 of 16,931

iheadphones has them here in UK: http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23762/Audio+Technica+ATH+CK10.htm 

Quote:
That's what I found yes, the only places I found them were import sites. AccessoryJack has them as does Jaben however Jaben has the bundle with them in it listed as having some "item without enough inventory". Basically, something isn't in stock for them to add to the bundle if you were to buy it. I emailed Jaben 3 times over the course of a month and they never returned a single one so I chose not to go that route. You can't find out what is missing from the bundle until you order it it seems like as well. 

AccessoryJack seems to have them not listed as in stock but I think you can still add them to your cart.

Sep 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #848 of 16,931
Holy cow those are expensive!
blink.gif
The Accessory Jack one's are way cheaper

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #849 of 16,931
I definitely won't be buying the CK10 anytime soon or more like ever. I'd rather spend my money on other things as I do like the universals I have now and they cost me very little money compared to some other earphones. Outside of the RE262 not much interests me really..SA7 and the xjays did interest me but taking too long and HifiMan has a sound I know is for me while I don't know about the others.

Sep 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #850 of 16,931
Added the JAYS t-JAYS Three and TDK EB900 
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
@joker: Just out of curiosity how's the SA1 cable in terms of does it have lots of memory and is it a microphonic cable? I'm thinking of getting a SA1 cable since the 1m cable is annoying compared to a 1.2m and the memory of that cable.

The SA1 cable wasn't bad (or good) enough to leave an impression on me so I suppose it's pretty average - not as soft as soundmagic cords but not stiff and kink-prone, either. 

Quote:
However them being discontinued..it really means it's only available in Asia correct like the CK100 not being sold in USA?

Yep but at least for the time being we can import them without paying a huge premium.

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #851 of 16,931
I'd like to thank ljokerl for impressive reviews. As a new iem-person I've found your thread to be extremely informative. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #852 of 16,931
Hear, hear! I would also like to extend my thanks to ljokerl for his reviews. They have been a tremendous help in clearing the IEM waters for someone new to the game, like myself. I hope that I'm able to contribute my own reviews once I get my first IEMs.

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #853 of 16,931
Quote:
I'd like to thank ljokerl for impressive reviews. As a new iem-person I've found your thread to be extremely informative. Keep up the good work and thanks again!

Quote:
Hear, hear! I would also like to extend my thanks to ljokerl for his reviews. They have been a tremendous help in clearing the IEM waters for someone new to the game, like myself. I hope that I'm able to contribute my own reviews once I get my first IEMs.

Thank you, glad you found the thread useful
beerchug.gif
. Good luck picking out the perfect set!

Oct 2, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #854 of 16,931

Quote:
Yep but at least for the time being we can import them without paying a huge premium.

I don't thinki there's really a huge premium when buying from Japan. There's seyo shop and accessoryjack and a bunch of others. If they charge too much I can always use a mail forwarding service which pretty much adds $30 or so on top of the price which includes EMS so it's not too bad when buying from Japan. If the CK10 prices decides to chop in half I may be tempted and by tempted I really mean forced to buy

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #855 of 16,931
Just to make sure I understand you correctly... When you say microphonics do you mean resonance from touching the cable/moving, or do you mean something electrical?
I'll be buying IEMs to replace my 380 pro headphones, and one thing that annoys me about headphones is if I touch the cable it echoes in the left cup. If that's what you mean by microphonics it means I can forget about the Copper Pros.
I should also say thanks for this thread, and the work you've done to create it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back