Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Aug 12, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #586 of 16,931

Yeah, it now takes a couple steps to view the chart in its full size.

So what kind of cookies are you winning when you hit 100?

Hopefully the freedom of not having any urgent reviews for the first time in a year
tongue.gif

Quote:
Someone should start a fundraiser and buy Mike some decent customs or something :wink:

Mass lobbying of JHA to send me a JH5 works too 
wink.gif

Quote:
Well if he sold all of those under $75 earphones he would probably have a good amount :p

True but strangely the <$75 ones are usually the hardest to sell off. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #588 of 16,931

Quote:
Just out of curiosity but how does the DBA-02 compare to the RE252 from memory?

From memory the RE252 is softer and more laid-back. The DBA-02 is more aggressive with the detailing and texturing and has better thickness of note. The balance is not dissimilar but the RE252 draws more attention to the midrange and also doesn't go down quite as far. It's a more natural-sounding earphone with better blending and transparency.

Aug 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #589 of 16,931
Thanks. I might look into it if I can't figure out my issues with the DBA-02 although I can pretty much get the W2 at $10 more but too bad you haven't heard that. If only they came with better cables. I do not like the cables on all of the Hifiman earphones one bit. They would be so much better if like a Westone or CK10 cable.

Aug 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #590 of 16,931
Agree here about the Hifiman products cabling. I was really not a fan of the RE0 cable that I had especially comparing it to the ck10's and even the Coppers. 

Quote:
Thanks. I might look into it if I can't figure out my issues with the DBA-02 although I can pretty much get the W2 at $10 more but too bad you haven't heard that. If only they came with better cables. I do not like the cables on all of the Hifiman earphones one bit. They would be so much better if like a Westone or CK10 cable.

Aug 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #591 of 16,931

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

From memory the RE252 is softer and more laid-back. The DBA-02 is more aggressive with the detailing and texturing and has better thickness of note. The balance is not dissimilar but the RE252 draws more attention to the midrange and also doesn't go down quite as far. It's a more natural-sounding earphone with better blending and transparency.

Yes, the RE252 has a little upper mids peakiness that the DBA-02 don't have, while the DBA-02 seem flatter and more neutral.  After your ears adjust to the RE252 they become very transparent sounding.

Aug 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #592 of 16,931
@rawster: Not a big fan or HiFiMan cables myself. I actually liked the cloth RE0 cord, though, which everyone else seemed to despise at the time.

Oh and for those interested Meelec is running another review giveaway - this time for the R1 woody.

Aug 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #594 of 16,931
Just want to pop in with another thank you for this compilation of reviews and bringing another person into the audiophile community :D

And have you heard of Superlux? This post has me slightly interested, and perhaps you would be too.

Aug 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #595 of 16,931
Quote:
Just want to pop in with another thank you for this compilation of reviews and bringing another person into the audiophile community :D

And have you heard of Superlux? This post has me slightly interested, and perhaps you would be too.

Thanks and yes, I've read that review. The OP of that thread also posted a link to it a dozen or so pages back. I'm interested in them but not quite enough to pick them up yet. There's other superlux phones I'm interested in, too, including their retractable-cord portables, which don't seem to available anywhere.

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #596 of 16,931
Happy centennial to me! 

Added a pair of heavyweights to celebrate - Westone UM3X & MTPC. 

Big thanks to everyone who has commented on and generally participated in the creation of this thread. Definitely couldn't have done this without all of the support.

beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #599 of 16,931
congratsx2

your review of the coppers pretty much reflects my thoughts on them, but while i've been enjoying them and I think they're great they don't offer anything special IME.  On the other hand your thoughts on the UM3X reflect mine regarding the Monster MDs that I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy no matter how much I tried. Going from your thoughts on the UM3X ,the MDs differ in just better treble sparkle that is only slightly below the coppers. But the the bass is probably not as controlled and the imaging wouldn't be up to par because it has a very blended sound with small soundstage. I'm surprised of the high rating in sq for the UM3X thought because it seemed you also had a hard time appreciating it's sound.

Aug 18, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #600 of 16,931
Awesomely geektastic stuff mate!  You did it! 

Your ears must need a holiday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back