Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #152 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have nothing valuable to add (except, to tell you that your writeups are excellent, as usual), but I was curious about your ADDIEMs.

I was lurking, and clicked your profile, and did a double take (or three). Did you re-cable out of necessity, or in the hopes of getting a better sound?

Out of necessity - the cable on mine went one side. Now they've got an ex-Meelec M6 cable. No more microphonics, no more microphone, no more straight plug
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, the update I've been waiting for!
wink.gif

Actually, I really enjoyed your assessment of the CX300. Even though I'm not too crazy about them myself, I've always felt that most reviews of that particular canalphone have always gravitated toward two extremes: either "This is worst I've ever heard" or "OMG awesome!" It seems that yours and ClieOS' reviews are the only two on the Internet that are objective.

Thanks. I really found them rather inoffensive. Not giant-killers by any means but an ok listen just the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser should of called it the CX320 or something similar (since CX350's already taken). Once I achieved the right fit, I was quite pleased at how much better the CX250 sounded when compared to the CX300, at least to my ears.

To make the numbers even more confusing, there's another Sennheiser, the CX150, that sounds very similar to the CX250, and therefore also better than the CX300.

And to add further to the confusion there is the CX200, which AFAIK is just a CX150 in silver. So no differentiating them by second model digit, either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, the big 60. You're getting old.
tongue.gif

It seems that I am reaching life expectancy here. Hard drive crash today took the next half-dozen reviews with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slntdth93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
little typo in your CX250 review on the comfort rating and forgot the [ for [/B]

Thanks, fixed.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #153 of 16,931
that sucks about the hard drive crash :p too bad you didn't back it up

well if you were asian 60 is a pretty big age for them so might not be as bad otherwise :p

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #154 of 16,931
The nice thing about harddrives is the data is still there. Being able to get it depends upon what happened.

At least you already wrote them once. The next time gets easier.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #155 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nice thing about harddrives is the data is still there. Being able to get it depends upon what happened.

At least you already wrote them once. The next time gets easier.

Unfortunately no coming back from this one. Power surge toasted the controller on the drive, at least from what I'm hearing. Unless I can find a drive with an identical PCB (down to the firmware version) and succeed in a transplant I'm SOL.

Latest backup is about 3 weeks old, which is quite outdated with my pacing in terms of work and reviews. But at least the music/movie library is 99.9% intact.

It's ironic - for the past eight years or so I've been extremely fastidious about keeping nothing I couldn't stand to lose on the boot partition (since windows, especially in the early days of XP, croaked and took the boot partition with it quite often). But the secondary partition I've considered extremely safe, not backing it up as often. Never counted on a mechanical failure.

And yes, I am really hoping to be able to rewrite the reviews from memory. Especially for the CK100, which was long and convoluted.

Apr 14, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #156 of 16,931
^ Damn, that sucks the big one mate. Hope you manage to retrieve most if not all of the data you lost from your own internal brain drive.

I'm really keen to hear what you have to say about the CK100s - as a proud owner of the CK10s - which really are the best thing since sliced bread with peanut butter on - I'm curious how their big brother stacks up against them.

Any wee teasers you can offer? Good, bad, ugly?

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #157 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really keen to hear what you have to say about the CK100s - as a proud owner of the CK10s - which really are the best thing since sliced bread with peanut butter on - I'm curious how their big brother stacks up against them.

Any wee teasers you can offer? Good, bad, ugly?

Well I can tell you that 'ugly' is definitely not applicable. I think the Ck100 is the only IEM that I truly hate. I hate them for being so expensive. I hate them for being so picky about source matching. And most of all I hate them for being more enjoyable than my CK10s, but only if they like what they're plugged into. If I had a source portable enough for daily use that mated well with the CK100, I would consider selling one of my kidneys and picking them up.

I'll spend the next few weeks rummaging by brain for the review.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #158 of 16,931
What a teaser post :p The CK100 being more enjoyable than the CK10 is pretty big coming from you ;p

They definitely are expensive. Even if you were to use a forwarding service it would be $350 which would easily be the more expensive than anything I've bought.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #159 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a teaser post :p The CK100 being more enjoyable than the CK10 is pretty big coming from you ;p

They definitely are expensive. Even if you were to use a forwarding service it would be $350 which would easily be the more expensive than anything I've bought.

If you are patient enough and willing to check frequently, a used pair can be had for very cheap. In Japan, I have seen used pairs go for as low as $220 and up to $280. The CK100 is still cheaper brand new than brands like Westone, Ultimate Ears, and Shures outside the U.S.

All I can say is I got very lucky on pricing. I couldn't be any happier!

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #160 of 16,931
Oh that's not too bad of a price since brand new they are cheaper than a W3 brand new if I go through Japan. I don't think I'll be buying anything expensive (which these are) until the x-jays comes out and see if I'm buying those or saving up for customs. Hopefully nothing can tempt me before that
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #161 of 16,931
Great reviews, I can't believe how much that must have cost you.... Is the difference in clarity between the s4's and the RE0's really so great? I have some s4's and IMHO, they are pretty great. I'm kind of a newbie, and looking to purchase the RE0's if the are really much better.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #162 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the difference in clarity between the s4's and the RE0's really so great?

Yes the RE0 is much clearer. However keep in mind that the S4 and RE0 have different sound signatures. They are so different you could even argue that they are completely opposite. The RE0 is much more balanced while the S4 is anything but balanced. The S4 is warmer and lots more bass quantity than the RE0. I don't know what kind of phone you are looking for but be sure the RE0 is something you would like since being a superior phone doesn't always mean you can enjoy it.

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #163 of 16,931
I am using the s4's with a slight boost to the high end... I must say they are the best IEMs I have ever owned but that's not saying much, I have never even known anyone with Headphones over the 50$ price range... I have been consistently moving up in quality (or lack thereof) since my first ipod earbuds... to some "skullcandy", to some old phillips, etc... up to the koss PortaPros and the S4's.

I dont really know how high the scale goes... If that makes sense.... Some favorite artists are Pink Floyd, Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Weezer (old stuff), really any kind of music. I don't *think* I have the need or want for a lot of bass. Sometimes I feel that the S4's have too much. I like the sound of the PortaPro's. I know its hard to comare, but is that more like what the RE0's sound like?

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #164 of 16,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdraluck23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the s4's with a slight boost to the high end... I must say they are the best IEMs I have ever owned but that's not saying much, I have never even known anyone with Headphones over the 50$ price range... I have been consistently moving up in quality (or lack thereof) since my first ipod earbuds... to some "skullcandy", to some old phillips, etc... up to the koss PortaPros and the S4's.

I dont really know how high the scale goes... If that makes sense.... Some favorite artists are Pink Floyd, Coldplay, Jack Johnson, Weezer (old stuff), really any kind of music. I don't *think* I have the need or want for a lot of bass. Sometimes I feel that the S4's have too much. I like the sound of the PortaPro's. I know its hard to comare, but is that more like what the RE0's sound like?

Rawrster is right - the RE0 is very, very different from the S4. If you're serious about audio I could almost recommend picking it up to try both side-by-side to see exactly what you like. Compared to the RE0 your portapros will sound muddy and unrefined and your S4s will sound colored and unbalanced. However, it may turn out that the S4s are closer to your preferred signature, which would be good to know.

My collection includes all of the artists you've listed and I happen to think the RE0 works exceptionally well for them, but then I vastly prefer the RE0 to the S4 to begin with. If you find the S4 bass excessive, the RE0 should help.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #165 of 16,931
They seem excellent. Haven't heard any bad reviews. They seem like a nice change. I will be buying them most likely. Would you suggest an amp for them? Or is that not necessary with an iPod. I don't need maximum volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back