Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Mar 11, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #16,561 of 16,931
So, I have been away for a long time, maybe two years? (About 7k posts in this thread, anyway, hah). I am looking for a new pair of iems and I'm just wondering how much the landscape has changed since I was experimenting last. I had a pair of Atrio M5s (MG7) which I loved, also owned FXT90s. I especially loved the lush presentation of the FXT90s, the dual dynamic driver setup was amazing for the price point.

I was looking at another pair of them actually, but I figured I'm in a great position to experiment a bit right now. Budget is $100-$200us. So I was looking at: GR07, DBA-02 (/Brainwavz B2), HiFi RE400, ER-4S, RE272/262 R-50. I tend to prefer musicality and soundstage in my iems, I have no problem fussing with tips to get the right fit/isolation. I think that's part of why I loved the FXT90s so much, they had incredible dynamics for such a cheap option, and dual dynamic drivers, what the heck. I'm not super averse to a somewhat biased signature, but I was very attracted to something a bit more analytical, which is why so many options.

Anyways, the point of this is, have any new players come along that I should look into? I am happy to continue looking at all the old options I was considering years ago but I figure it's been a while, I'm sure something has changed since then! So glad this thread is still alive and joker is going strong
smily_headphones1.gif
love the new site and form by the way! It's amazing. The amount of content is unreal dude! You are a national head fi treasure.

Some of those sets you're considering are discontinued and will be very difficult to find. And the rest mostly have a flat/balanced sound sig, which your Atrios and FXT90s do not.

At $200 for dynamic sound you might as well look into the DUNU DN-1000. It's got a closer balance to the FXT90 and while the soundstage isn't huge, it's a solid triple-driver hybrid earphone for the price and quite difficult to beat for a moderately enhanced-bass, v-shaped sound.

There are other options you can consider, such as the Yamaha EPH-100/RHA MA750 (warmer-sounding IEMs with good dynamics), Audio-Technica IM02 (for a newer IEM with flatter sound), and maybe even the DUNU Titan 1 for a totally out of left field option (poor isolation on these, but a surprisingly "fun" colored sound with a wide soundstage and more analytical presentation compared to the FXT90).

@joker

Would you be reviewing the Campfire Audio Jupiter's anytime, soon? It would be interesting to know how well they rate among the best in your list.
.....350, way to go!!!
beerchug.gif

I've never even heard of these before :/

Looking for an upgrade on my SE215 - mostly between Custom Art Music One and something more expensive, like the Ei.3 or Westone 4R etc.

Is the Music One a direct and worthwhile upgrade? Is Ei.3 a much better choice?

Thanks

Music One is not exactly a direct upgrade to the SE215 simply because the sound tuning is different. It's a much more balanced and accurate IEM than the bassier, somewhat treble-shy Shures. That said, if you're looking for fidelity it's a big step up - better than the W4R for sure. 

Haven't tried the Ei.3.

My beloved Xiaomi Piston 2's are starting to fall apart. i was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a set of sub $50 IEMs with a similar sound signature?

Another Piston 2 would be the closest, but if you don't mind something a bit different but still warm, bassy, and quite smooth, you can try the Sony MH1C (if you can find one).

If you had to choose a new pair of dinamic drivers or hibrid what would you pick??

Depends on the earphones - the driver configuration simply can't tell you all that much about the tuning or performance.

Whats a good upgrade to the gr07 classics with similar sound signature, i do like my mids and bass but not when it's too forward like the ba200. 
I do like the ue900/s sound but not sold locally in my country and I am not willing to take the risk on the phones considering their rep for rmas. 
As a side note, I tried the meelec pinnacle p1 (not my preferred sig) but it's really great for detail oriented, non fatigue treble with thinner and very smooth mids. 

Budget wise maybe 150-200usd?

I've also mostly recommended the FLC8 for this - not the exact same signature as the GR07 but a noticeable improvement in many ways over the hard-to-upgrade-from VSonics.

If you liked the UE900 you might consider the ATH-IM02 as a cheaper alternative, but I don't think it's as close to a GR07 upgrade as the FLC8. It's very nice balanced earphone, though, and less mid-forward than the BA200.

There are also a few GR07 alternatives that aren't necessarily upgrades, but can be considered equally good performers and may provide a sound signature you like better - for instance the Philips Fidelio S2.

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #16,562 of 16,931

Some of those sets you're considering are discontinued and will be very difficult to find. And the rest mostly have a flat/balanced sound sig, which your Atrios and FXT90s do not.

At $200 for dynamic sound you might as well look into the DUNU DN-1000. It's got a closer balance to the FXT90 and while the soundstage isn't huge, it's a solid triple-driver hybrid earphone for the price and quite difficult to beat for a moderately enhanced-bass, v-shaped sound.

There are other options you can consider, such as the Yamaha EPH-100/RHA MA750 (warmer-sounding IEMs with good dynamics), Audio-Technica IM02 (for a newer IEM with flatter sound), and maybe even the DUNU Titan 1 for a totally out of left field option (poor isolation on these, but a surprisingly "fun" colored sound with a wide soundstage and more analytical presentation compared to the FXT90).

I think your rec. for the DN-1000 is spot on, I was looking at just that set - but ended up purchasing MEE Pinnacle P1. Hasn't arrived (or shipped yet) but I'm excited, lots of good feedback. You are right, I was starting to look for a more analytical sound by the end of my search, I think the P1 will fit in between those 2 sigs quite well, we shall see.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #16,563 of 16,931
  I've also mostly recommended the FLC8 for this - not the exact same signature as the GR07 but a noticeable improvement in many ways over the hard-to-upgrade-from VSonics.

If you liked the UE900 you might consider the ATH-IM02 as a cheaper alternative, but I don't think it's as close to a GR07 upgrade as the FLC8. It's very nice balanced earphone, though, and less mid-forward than the BA200.

There are also a few GR07 alternatives that aren't necessarily upgrades, but can be considered equally good performers and may provide a sound signature you like better - for instance the Philips Fidelio S2.

Awesome, shall give the im02 a shot, tried the im70 and the fit just seemed awkward which seemed to be made worse by the ear hooks.

Anybody has an opinion on the Lear LHF AE1-B? Only found reviews for the AE1- D version

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #16,564 of 16,931
Mar 11, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #16,565 of 16,931
I'm looking for some iems that have a natural sound and a wide soundstage. My main iems are W10s right now and I like the them but sometimes would just like a little more bass. Was looking at the im02, anyone have any other recommendations?

Budget wise in around the same bracket: $100-$200

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #16,566 of 16,931

I think your rec. for the DN-1000 is spot on, I was looking at just that set - but ended up purchasing MEE Pinnacle P1. Hasn't arrived (or shipped yet) but I'm excited, lots of good feedback. You are right, I was starting to look for a more analytical sound by the end of my search, I think the P1 will fit in between those 2 sigs quite well, we shall see.

That seems like a good compromise. I really hope to spend some time with the P1 soon.

Hello Joker,

The Campfire Audio Jupiter sound brilliant and currently my favorite after listening to them on a long term audition!

Here's a link to their websites and other reviews.

http://campfireaudio.com/jupiter/

http://www.aloaudio.com/campfire-audio-jupiter

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/show-newport-2015-campfire-audio#bJS2PAC2iZpJexmZ.97

Made in the USA.

PS. As a family man, I can't afford them, so they'll stay on my wish list for now.
wink.gif

Sure looks solid. Interesting, the way they describe their "resonator" and its effect on treble sounds an awful lot like the way MEE describes the P1's "diffuser". Similar solutions?

I'm looking for some iems that have a natural sound and a wide soundstage. My main iems are W10s right now and I like the them but sometimes would just like a little more bass. Was looking at the im02, anyone have any other recommendations?

Budget wise in around the same bracket: $100-$200

The IM02 doesn't really have more bass than the W10. Its low end extension/depth is a little better but in terms of actual impact/punch it's about equal to a W10. Even something like a Philips Fidelio S2 or GR07 Bass Edition would be better for a balance of slightly punchier bass + a wide presentation. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #16,567 of 16,931

The IM02 doesn't really have more bass than the W10. Its low end extension/depth is a little better but in terms of actual impact/punch it's about equal to a W10. Even something like a Philips Fidelio S2 or GR07 Bass Edition would be better for a balance of slightly punchier bass + a wide presentation. 

Thanks for the help joker, I'm going to look into the Fidelio S2. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #16,568 of 16,931
Added a review of the JVC XX Elation HA-FR100X

As always, the most up-to-date IEM ranking can be found here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/

(3A96) JVC XX Elation HA-FR100X

Reviewed October 2015

Brief: latest entry in JVC’s enhanced-bass XX line

MSRP: $59.95
Current Price: $59 from amazon.com
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 104 dB | Freq: 8-25xk Hz | Cable: 3.9′ L-plug with mic & 1-button remote
Nozzle Size: 5.5mm | Preferred tips: Narrow-channel single-flanges (DUNU, MEElec M6, etc)
Wear Style: Straight down

Accessories (2.5/5) – Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and velvet carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) – The FR100X foregoes the rubber bumpers of JVC’s previous XX-series models for an all-plastic construction. The housings are large but lightweight and JVC’s usual low-noise PVC cable is now terminated with a very nice L-shaped plug. Unusually, the microphone element and remote button are built into the right earpiece. This works quite well, thanks in part to the size of the earpiece – I actually had an easier time locating the button quickly compared to cord-mounted remotes
Isolation (3/5) – Good for an earphone of this type
Microphonics (5/5) – Pretty much nonexistent
Comfort (3.5/5) – The XX Elation utilizes the usual angled-nozzle design of JVC’s previous XX-series earphones but the large housings with the somewhat unusual rhomboid cross-section just aren’t as comfortable in the ear as, for instance, the smaller 
HA-FX101

Sound (7.2/10) – The XX Elation line is the latest in JVC’s long-running Xtreme Xplosives series of bass-heavy (and sometimes extremely bass-heavy) headphones and earphones. The HA-FR100X is the in-ear XX Elation mode and has both wired and wireless on-ear counterparts.

The sound of the HA-FR100X is a clear improvement over the XX earphones of old such as the HA-FR301 I reviewed last year. That earphone was overwhelmingly boosted in the bass and treble regions, which made its sound very uniquely suited to a particular type of listener but also had many drawbacks.

The new HA-FR100X sacrifices a portion of that huge bass, as well as some of the treble brightness, for a more balanced and natural sound tuning. It still carries very good bass impact that will be plentiful for the majority of listeners. However, it is no longer true basshead earphone in my book – the bass is simply not thatoverwhelming.

The FR100X has a warm tone and v-shaped overall sound signature – just not as v-shaped as the preceding HA-FR301 model. The sound is heavy on mid-bass, which causes the sub-bass to appear more subdued compared to earphones with similar bass quantity but less mid-bass bias – earphones such as the Nuforce NE-600X, Popclik String, UBSOUND Fighter, and Brainwavz S1. The bass is also a little less tight and more boomy, compared especially to the String and S1, but more controlled than that of the similarly mid-bassy Tekfusion Twinwoofers.

The FR100X’s mid-bassy sound creates a midrange that is fairly full-bodied despite the v-shaped response of the earphones. Compared to leaner-sounding sets like the aforementioned Popclik String and Brainwavz S1, the HA-FR100X is more veiled, but also richer and less recessed in the midrange. It goes both ways, however, as the JVCs are also clearer compared to less v-shaped earphones such as the UBSOUND Fighter and Twinwoofers.

Moving on up, the FR100X is slightly prone to harshness, much like other v-shaped earphones in its price range including the Brainwavz S1. Treble energy is good – the FR100X is brighter and more natural in this regard than the somewhat dull-sounding Twinwoofers, though also not as smooth. The treble presence and overall v-shaped sound signature help the FR100X sound spacious and relatively airy – definitely more so than the Twinwoofers and the pricier UBSOUND Fighter.

Select Comparisons

Below are several head-to-head comparisons between the HA-FR100X and earphones that either perform on a similar level or have somewhat analogous sound tuning (or both). These comparisons may play a direct role in someone’s purchasing decision, but more importantly they help contextualize the earphone’s performance based on the other options currently on the market. 

JVC XX HA-FR301 ($40)

Pitting the HA-FR100X against one of its predecessors highlights the improvements JVC has made to the overall fidelity and “sonic realism” of the XX line. The older HA-FR301 is a much, MUCH more v-shaped earphone, with both bass and treble boosted significantly compared to the HA-FR100X.

The newer XX Elation is undoubtedly the more balanced earphone. Its bass quantity may not be as well-suited for bassheads but is still plentiful for general listening and doesn’t come at the expense of severely recessed mids and unnatural, metallic-sounding treble. Thanks to its bright tone the HA-FR301 does sound mildly clearer, but the more natural treble level of the HA-FR100X makes for a better overall experience – the extra brightness and harshness of the older model just aren’t worth the clarity gain.

ADV.SOUND M4 ($40)

The HA-FR100X is smoother and more balanced compared to its predecessors but still has quite a bit of bass emphasis and sonic coloration. The ADV.SOUND M4, while still not flat/neutral, is an even more balanced take on v-shaped sound tuning. It lacks the sheer power and energy of the JVC unit, but the extra bass boost of the HA-FR100X makes it sound more muffled in comparison to the M4, especially in the midrange. The treble of the JVCs is also sharper and less natural than that of the M4 and their lows are more mid-bassy and not quite as well-controlled.

Beats Tour 2.0 ($149)

Perhaps the most well-known and least-appreciated of the bass-heavy in-ear earphones on the market, the Beats Tour 2.0 is actually a pretty solid performer. Its biggest issue is the price tag – most other bass-heavy, consumer-oriented headphones of this sort, JVC’s XX series included, come in under $100.

The Beats do have an advantage over the HA-FR100X in bass depth, as well as overall impact and power – their bass is simply more prominent. The midrange of the Beats, on the other hand, is more recessed, yet still a touch clearer compared to that of the JVCs despite the Tour 2.0’s warmer tone.

The HA-FR100X has a more prominent midrange but its sound still appears more v-shaped thanks to the brighter treble. The top end of the Beats Tours is extremely smooth and forgiving. The HA-FR100X’s is more sparkly, but also more prone to harshness. The JVC unit has a slight advantage in airiness, however, as well as a wider presentation.

Value (7.5/10) – JVC’s new XX Elation HA-FR100X earphones are much more balanced and natural-sounding than previous XX-series models. While still tuned for a bass-heavy, v-shaped sound and lacking a bit in the way of bass control, they provide a warmer, more rich-sounding midrange and more toned-down, realistic treble than the preceding model.

As a side effect of the more balanced tuning, the FR-100X does lose the extreme degree of bass emphasis that would qualify it as a basshead earphone – something JVC’s old XX-series models were well-known for. This makes the new earphone’s sound is more accurate and proficient, but less unique. It also means that the new model faces far more competition than previous Xtreme Xplosives sets. It should be just bassy enough to still do well in the mainstream market, and just well-rounded enough to be accepted by audio enthusiasts, but only time will tell with certainty.

Pros: More balanced and capable sound than previous models; extremely low cable noise; truly integrated mic/remote
Cons: Bulky housings; still not free of bass bleed and harshness

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #16,570 of 16,931
  What earphone do you recommend that is a thin straight barrel design with a balanced sound signature and excellent clarity, while still being relatively forgiving with lesser recordings?

I can vouch for the Etymotic Research MK5. Thin, straight design and very balanced. However, I find it extremely light on bass. I'm a metal-head and enjoy my steel-toe boot to the head sound!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQG7IC2

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #16,572 of 16,931
  Does it have good treble extension and sparkle?

I'm not really sure what you are talking about. I've heard the terms, but most of my music kicks in the low to mid ranges. I've never had a problem with treble. Cymbals and guitar solos sound good on the MK5.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #16,573 of 16,931
  What earphone do you recommend that is a thin straight barrel design with a balanced sound signature and excellent clarity, while still being relatively forgiving with lesser recordings?

My vote would be Aurisonic Rockets
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #16,575 of 16,931
  Do they have smooth, extended treble with good sparkle?

For me they do but we do all hear things differently. YMMV Maybe some other Rocket owners can chime in here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back