Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Dec 5, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #16,411 of 16,931
  Hi Joker, a friend needs a IEM partly for running.  It needs to have good isolation, in-line mic and iphone controls, and be under $80.  I'm guessing it needs to be fairly comfortable, durable, and be able to worn over ear.  I've looked at some choices that fall under the criteria, which include:

UE600vi
trinity hyperion or techne
A151p 2nd gen
RE400i
Etymotic er7/mc3
Fidue a65

Do you think any of these are a good fit, or have any better recommendations?  Thanks!

I tend to recommend sweat-resistant earphones for this. Balanced armatures are not known to take sweat that well. The Westones someone recommended above seem like they would be a good choice. I was unimpressed with the sound of the Adventure Alpha I've tried but back then they were well over $100. The Betas should be a better value.

My personal go-to for this is the Audio-Technica ATH-CKX5iS but you can't wear it over the ear. And the MEElectronics M6 but it sounds like you're looking to spend more than $20.

Ok metal heads, I need your help. I love my M-Duo's for IEM's, but their structural design is flawed. Where the cord enters the earbud cavity is reinforced by a rubber grommet. The grommet only has a groove that pops into the body, it's not solid. After using them every day, the grommet is loose.  

I wear them under my motorcycle helmet, therefore I need good noise isolation. I've tried 2 different replacements now and they both failed horribly. The wind buffeting my helmet creates a lot of noise. I do have T-400 foam tips that seem to help.

Requirements
1. Good isolation
2. Fast and tight bass - Metal music
3. Fit under a helmet
4. Solid construction
5. Less than $100

The Etymotics someone recommended previously seem like a good choice but make sure their housings aren't too long to fit under your helmet. They do stick out a bit when you wear them. Can't beat the isolation, though, and as long as you don't mind a balanced/accurate sound that's hard to beat as well.

My DUNU DN-1000 broke. Looking to replace. Can spend up to $500 but would rather not.

I like v-shaped sound with nice instrument separation and soundstage.

The Fostex TH600/900 is the perfect full-size sound Sig for me.

Any recommendation?

Not familiar with the Fostex, unfortunately. My favorite upgrade to the DN-1000 at the moment is the FLC Technologies FLC8. Its sound (in my preferred setting, but it's a tunable IEM) is more balanced but still v-shaped overall and the separation is great. It's also lighter/more comfortable than the DN-1000 and has replaceable cables. Hard to beat for the price.

Hey Joker
I have earphones Dunu dn 1000, and I really like the sound quality and bass ( I'll be honest ן prefer deeper bass But that's not what bothered me most).
I do not like the isolation of dunu, because it is not good When I was on the bus and it is uncomfortable earphones in the ear.

Could you please recommend me a good earphones like dunu dn1000 but comfort and good isolation?
Budget from 100 $ to 300 $
(I do not want custom earphones)

Thank you!

For some reason bass-heavy earphones with great isolation aren't that common. Most of the high-end ones tend to be shallow-fit designs (e.g. Sennheiser, JVC, Sony).

The Yamaha EPH-100 may be worth trying. It's at the bottom end of your price range but it isolates better than the vast majority of bass-heavy in-ears I've tried and it's hard to beat the bass depth it produces. 

Hey joker, can we expect an updated buyers guide by sound signature or is the list still accurate and a work in progress? It's incredibly helpful!

I've been hard at work on a new guide for this holiday season, just haven't had the time to format/post it. It'll go live within the next few days :)

After that I will also update the main guide appropriately (i.e. by adding all the relevant items form the new guide)

Hello guys, I'm here again :D

I'm searching for some IEM for my girlfriend :)
I would like some headphones with strong, deep and precise bas (she is "bass head" :D ) but of course also with nice mids and highs (because she also like details in the songs :) ).

I have MOE-SS01, but they are too "sharp" and low bass for her. I have also Xiaomi pistons v3. The bass are relatively good, but the mids sound little "shaded" (without details).

I would like something with price under 40$, but if it will be really worth, I will go higher...

Any tips?
Thanks a lot! :)

It's very hard to find a bassier earphone that also has better mids than the Piston 3 and all for under $40 (and available overseas). Maybe the Philips SHE3580/3590? They're unexciting but relatively common and the signature should be more suitable compared to the P3. The Nuforce NE-600X is an even better choice for this but it's probably not available to you locally.

Dec 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #16,412 of 16,931
It's very hard to find a bassier earphone that also has better mids than the Piston 3 and all for under $40 (and available overseas). Maybe the Philips SHE3580/3590? They're unexciting but relatively common and the signature should be more suitable compared to the P3. The Nuforce NE-600X is an even better choice for this but it's probably not available to you locally.

Thanks for the reply!

I found the NuFroce here in Czech, so I will go with them. They looks nice :)

Thank you very much :)

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #16,413 of 16,931
  Thanks for the reply!

I found the NuFroce here in Czech, so I will go with them. They looks nice :)

Thank you very much :)

That's surprising, I always had Nuforce pegged for a more niche US brand.

Hope they do the trick! 

Dec 7, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #16,414 of 16,931
"
Originally Posted by ljokerl
For some reason bass-heavy earphones with great isolation aren't that common. Most of the high-end ones tend to be shallow-fit designs (e.g. Sennheiser, JVC, Sony).

The Yamaha EPH-100 may be worth trying. It's at the bottom end of your price range but it isolates better than the vast majority of bass-heavy in-ears I've tried and it's hard to beat the bass depth it produces.
"

Thanks for the your answer,
the Yamaha EPH-100 is it right for me? After all it doesnt the same league of dunu dnk.
I do not want to lose sound quality and the v-shaped that I like in dunu dnk, and just to get good insolation and bass.
I think to go for FLC8 As you have written are very high quality sound and go fot upgrate the dunu dnk, my question if i get better insolation than Dunu? Even a little?

Where can I buy a FLC8 on reliable store of $318 Like you wrote on the site?
and for FLC8 I need a amplifier?

sorry for my english.

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #16,415 of 16,931
XB90EX fit me great, have great comfort and A+++++ bass. they're actually surprisingly comfy given the size and isolate excellently.

I have some comply TS200 tips on my XB90EX for extra isolation.

Dec 8, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #16,416 of 16,931
I don't know how the clarity of the Fidue A73 compares to the Dunu 1K, or the sound signature, as I have never tried the 1K, but I find the A73 isolate sufficiently. If you don't want to spend too much, the Fidue A73 may not be an upgrade, but it seems to offer good fit. The A73 is a hybrid Iem, does anyone know if that BA means it isolates better than a dynamic driver Iem? I'm really loving the A73. Joker, you've got to review them!

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #16,417 of 16,931
Hey joker! As always great stuff, tt's been a while since I was last on the forums and need some help replacing my Klipsch X10. I've had them for the past 3-4 years and they've performed really well for me. I like how they were very comfortable and had good punchy bass. Ideally i would like to find something that is also comfortable with a warm signature, bass is a must and preferably worn down as I take them on and off quite often. Price range is anywhere between $200 - $500. Not sure if I want to go to the CIEM route yet so that might be out of the question. I've previously had UE TF10, Monster Miles Davis, JVC FXZ200, and my full sized headphones are Denon D5000. Any recommendations would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #16,419 of 16,931
"
Originally Posted by ljokerl

"

Thanks for the your answer,
the Yamaha EPH-100 is it right for me? After all it doesnt the same league of dunu dnk.
I do not want to lose sound quality and the v-shaped that I like in dunu dnk, and just to get good insolation and bass.
I think to go for FLC8 As you have written are very high quality sound and go fot upgrate the dunu dnk, my question if i get better insolation than Dunu? Even a little?

Where can I buy a FLC8 on reliable store of $318 Like you wrote on the site?
and for FLC8 I need a amplifier?

sorry for my english.

The FLC8 is not that bass-heavy, nor does it isolate better than the DN-1000. It's a very good earphone and an excellent buy, but it doesn't fit your needs as stated. 

You can buy it from lendmeurears.com

Hey joker! As always great stuff, tt's been a while since I was last on the forums and need some help replacing my Klipsch X10. I've had them for the past 3-4 years and they've performed really well for me. I like how they were very comfortable and had good punchy bass. Ideally i would like to find something that is also comfortable with a warm signature, bass is a must and preferably worn down as I take them on and off quite often. Price range is anywhere between $200 - $500. Not sure if I want to go to the CIEM route yet so that might be out of the question. I've previously had UE TF10, Monster Miles Davis, JVC FXZ200, and my full sized headphones are Denon D5000. Any recommendations would definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

To maximize comfort AND noise isolation with that particular sound signature you can't really do better than those Klipschs. You can consider the Yamaha EPH-100 but comfort is a maybe - for me it's very comfortable but it is larger than the X10 so that won't be the case for someone with narrower ear canals.

Pretty much everything else I'm familiar with either isolates less than the X10, is much larger/less comfortable, or has less bass/warmth than the X10. Closest sets other than the EPH-100 I've tried that fit all three requirements are the Earsonics Velvet (too expensive) and Shure SE215 (doesn't sound better than the X10 and not necessarily more comfortable than the EPH-100). Neither can be worn cable-down, either. 

J, I found this used ba200 for like usd 93 but Modded with 1500ohm filter. how do you think it will affect the sound? Also, is ba200 soundstage like lesser than r50's? super thanks. Others input are greatly welcome too.

I wouldn't buy someone else's experiment unless it can be reverted to stock.

The R-50 has an unusually wide soundstage but the BA200 is hardly a slouch - in stock form you may lose a little width compared to the R-50, but gain in imaging. I'd say it's a fair trade. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #16,420 of 16,931

To maximize comfort AND noise isolation with that particular sound signature you can't really do better than those Klipschs. You can consider the Yamaha EPH-100 but comfort is a maybe - for me it's very comfortable but it is larger than the X10 so that won't be the case for someone with narrower ear canals.

Pretty much everything else I'm familiar with either isolates less than the X10, is much larger/less comfortable, or has less bass/warmth than the X10. Closest sets other than the EPH-100 I've tried that fit all three requirements are the Earsonics Velvet (too expensive) and Shure SE215 (doesn't sound better than the X10 and not necessarily more comfortable than the EPH-100). Neither can be worn cable-down, either. 

Thanks for the response Joker! I know it's quite impossible to find something that is exactly the same isolation and comfort of the X10, could you recommend something that has a similar sound signature (warm, with a nice thumpy bass and forward mids smooth highs) that doesn't need the comfort or isolation of the X10?

I have been looking at the Sennheiser IE800 for the longest time and was wondering if you had any experience with them? Also the JVC FX line popped into my head as I remembered they had one of the best bass signatures out there but the isolation wasn't the greatest? Let me know what you think!

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #16,421 of 16,931
hi joker
I see the headphones Yamaha EPH100 you recommended to me it really cheap (only $50 ) question whether it genuine?
And the reactions of the people in ebay say they have no bass at all!!!

see the Most relevant reviews>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Genuine-Yamaha-EPH100-EPH-100-Stereo-Professional-Earphone-Headphone-Silver-/151895052685?hash=item235da6918d:g:I-wAAOSwEetV8qNf#rwid

Dec 8, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #16,422 of 16,931
  I can't see where is the flare r2 PRO will stand btw these IEMs .

can I ask you JOKER. what did you think of in imaging , 3d heeadstage and vocals :
could you rank them please :
Audiofly AF180 ,RHA T20  ,Westone W50 and shure se 846

I've found one Audiofly AF180 for 299 $ and shure for 560 $ could it be a good deal ? which one you will get first ?

what's the best IEm for vocals under 500 $ ?
Thanks

Out of those I've only tied the AF180 and the T20 and they sound nothing alike. So you really need to narrow it down based on what type of sound you want (balanced, bassy, bright, etc) before making a decision that could cost you $500. I would pick the AF180 for vocals and the $299 price is very nice if it comes with a warranty. However, it's not a bright earphone - the upper midrange is actually a bit subdued, almost smoothed-over, so if you don't like that sort of thing I wouldn't pick it but for me it's a very nice, smooth, level sound. 

Thanks for the response Joker! I know it's quite impossible to find something that is exactly the same isolation and comfort of the X10, could you recommend something that has a similar sound signature (warm, with a nice thumpy bass and forward mids smooth highs) that doesn't need the comfort or isolation of the X10?

I have been looking at the Sennheiser IE800 for the longest time and was wondering if you had any experience with them? Also the JVC FX line popped into my head as I remembered they had one of the best bass signatures out there but the isolation wasn't the greatest? Let me know what you think!

The IE800 can sound pretty v-shaped, it's a very different signature from the X10. It's a very good IEM, but not the first thing that comes to mind for forward mids and smooth highs. The FX700 is sort of the same way, and the bass is a little more dominant (especially compared to the X10, which isn't hugely bassy). If you want more bass than the X10, then yes, these are definitely worth considers.

Otherwise I'd probably go IE8/IE80 over the IE800/FX700 for the signature you want. Two other things that come to mind are the warmer-sounding multi-BA monsters like the EarSonics SM64 (and Velvet if you can get a great deal on it) and Westone UM PRO 30 (or UM3X).

hi joker
I see the headphones Yamaha EPH100 you recommended to me it really cheap (only $50 ) question whether it genuine?
And the reactions of the people in ebay say they have no bass at all!!!

see the Most relevant reviews>

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Genuine-Yamaha-EPH100-EPH-100-Stereo-Professional-Earphone-Headphone-Silver-/151895052685?hash=item235da6918d:g:I-wAAOSwEetV8qNf#rwid

There have been reports of counterfeit ones. I wouldn't risk it.

With that said, a good number of IEM reviews online complain about lack of bass because a good percentage of the general public doesn't know how to wear IEMs properly. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #16,423 of 16,931
I am looking for an IEM equivalent to Koss Porta Pros. They are the perfect sensitivity for my sources; Alien and iPod 5.5gen., and I like their tonality. Price point less than $150 ideally but that isn't a firm number. I currently have Senn IE4 and they hiss! Thanks!

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #16,424 of 16,931
   I like sound to be very rich with vocals ,very good bass  ,airy ,sparkle highs with huge headstage
is there any iem has Immense stereo image ,Excellent balance and life like detail
sound  natural like lcd 3 ?
about AF180 can you compare them to ciem noble k 10 ? what's the diff. btw these two ?

I don't have an LCD-3 or a Noble K10. You can find my full AF180 review on InnerFidelity, though: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audiofly-af180-ear-monitor-reviewed#WgxC36rHiFbDJiQp.97

I am looking for an IEM equivalent to Koss Porta Pros. They are the perfect sensitivity for my sources; Alien and iPod 5.5gen., and I like their tonality. Price point less than $150 ideally but that isn't a firm number. I currently have Senn IE4 and they hiss! Thanks!

Someone asked this fairly recently. I think we settled on the Philips Fidelio S1/S2 and Havi B3 Pro I being good options to avoid hiss with such sources. They're a little more neutral compared to the warmer PortaPros, but not vastly different, and hiss shouldn't be a problem at all.

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #16,425 of 16,931
New IEM Buyer's Guide is posted for the holidays: http://theheadphonelist.com/2015-holiday-buyers-guide-the-most-gift-worthy-earphones-for-audiophiles-and-music-lovers/

Tried to tackle a few of the more common recommendation requests received around this time in addition to the usual sound recommendations. A few previews of reviews still to come in there as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back