Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
Nov 3, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #16,351 of 16,931

Dammit, just checked the retail price of IM-02s here in our country and was surprised that it's priced at ~$350 USD. For reference, the Aurisonics Rockets and Kicker are locally priced at US $260, B2 at US $140, RE-600 at US $230 and RE-400 at US $95. It seems AT sets are steeply priced here.

At $350, I might as well get a Sony XBA-A3 a Dunu DN-2000 (though they are more of "fun" sounding). Would you agree?

That is quite steep. IM02 and DN-2000 are not exactly competitors due to different sound tuning, but either way I'd have trouble putting up $350 for the IM02 when the B2 is available at $140. Prices are very different in the US.

Has anyone used the x11i? Are they good with bass?

They just sounded like an X10 (which has plenty of bass for a BA) to me. No changes to the tuning as far as I know.

do you think the im-02 is slightly coloured with female vocals sound better. male voices sound younger and some of its details gets smoothed over. or it may be just my unit not burned in?

I don't know how to put it in terms of vocal "age" but the IM02 is a little darker compared to more conventional analytical IEMs like an Ety ER4 or a Brainwavz B2.

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #16,352 of 16,931

That is quite steep. IM02 and DN-2000 are not exactly competitors due to different sound tuning, but either way I'd have trouble putting up $350 for the IM02 when the B2 is available at $140. Prices are very different in the US.

I don't know how to put it in terms of vocal "age" but the IM02 is a little darker compared to more conventional analytical IEMs like an Ety ER4 or a Brainwavz B2.

With my search for "bang-for-buck" IEMs, I've stumbled upon a local store which offers the VSonic GR07 @ USD 120 and FLC 8S (which you've praised highly in your review) @ USD 320.

I'd take it that the GR07 is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade from the RE-400, right?

And the 8S, while being more than double the price of the B2, I guess makes up with the better build quality, removable cables, and of course, better overall sound presentation. I guess I'll live with a V- or U-shaped sound sig that the 8S might have, as I have my HD600 for more "reference" listening sessions.

I guess between the two, I'll just get the 8S and be done with this IEM search craze. 
etysmile.gif

Nov 3, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #16,353 of 16,931
With my search for "bang-for-buck" IEMs, I've stumbled upon a local store which offers the VSonic GR07 @ USD 120 and FLC 8S (which you've praised highly in your review) @ USD 320.

I'd take it that the GR07 is more of a sidegrade than an upgrade from the RE-400, right?

And the 8S, while being more than double the price of the B2, I guess makes up with the better build quality, removable cables, and of course, better overall sound presentation. I guess I'll live with a V- or U-shaped sound sig that the 8S might have, as I have my HD600 for more "reference" listening sessions.

I guess between the two, I'll just get the 8S and be done with this IEM search craze. :etysmile:  

I have owned both the re400s and the gr07s. I would say the vsonics are an upgrade. I think the re-400s are the most overrated iems ever. They have excellent mids, and very controlled treble. But they are very narrow in soundstage, congested, lacking clarity and resolution, and above all they havea pitiful lack of bass.

The gr07 are a bit less refined in the mids and on top but they are substantially more bassy, with better impact, more forward sound, wider soundstage, and clearer. I didnt realize how underwhelming the re-400s really were for long.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #16,354 of 16,931

I guess between the two, I'll just get the 8S and be done with this IEM search craze. 
etysmile.gif

It really depends on what you're looking for. I tend to prefer the GR07 to the RE-400 but they have different strengths and weaknesses. Either way, the FLC8 is a better upgrade and a good buy at that price. It will be more v/u-shaped than the HD600, RE-400, and B2, but you can vary the severity with the tuning filters.  

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #16,355 of 16,931
  X2, the Rockets are pretty straight laced and not really warm nor cold. It is the exception to the warmer Aurisonic house signature.

Maybe the Radius TWF would make a good Senn-like options, perhaps the TWF31. Not too dark or warm and yet balanced with a piezo in there for the highs??

woooahoh there's a TWF-31? Have you actually heard it? I can't find anything about it with search. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #16,357 of 16,931
  Do you  have plans on reviewing the VE Dukes anytime soon? I have it and for the price it sounded remarkable! It is a birght and sensitive IEM, but you can try it with different tips and get the sound you like.

Yeah, but currently I've sent it to InnerFidelity for measurements. It sounded a little bright to me as well.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #16,359 of 16,931
Hi there,

Besides the obligatory new members post, this is my first real post here.

I apologize in advance for the length.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with "The Piano Guys," but their song titled "Cello Song" is a beautiful bit 'o music. As the name implies there's a plethora of cellos, and other stringed instruments that build and soar throughout the piece.

Why did I bother mentioning this?

Through my HD 598s there's a fullness and warmth present in every brush of bow on string (here's my man card), and a sweet sort of clarity that manages to be heard even through the Sen Veil. Owing to their open back design there's a great amount of airiness / separation and treble that just sort of "sings." Oh and the sound stage, wow.

I'm looking for an IEM (price: sub $200*) that can deliver a similar sound signature.

I own a set of Havi B3 Pro 1s (I run them amped through a NX 1) and while I am blown away by what they manage in terms of sound stage and quality they just "feel" too. . .dry? Almost too clean and analytical maybe? They lack that BIG lush and liquid fullness that I'd like to have. THIN! There we go, the note presentation is on the lean and thin side. Again, great IEMs, and not even just "for the price." They just aren't doing it for me.

I know there are some compromises to be made between a set of full over the ear cans and a pair of iems. I'm willing to make them - just not at the expense of the over all desired sound sig.

If it helps these are some of the genres I listen to (with a few examples to boot!):

Acapella - (Straight No Chasers "The Nutcracker," Pentatonix "Mary Did You Know?")
Contemporary instrumental and classical
Acoustic
Female vocals - (example: Sarah Mclachlans' cover of "Blackbird," Mama Cass "Dream a Little Dream, etc. . .")
Crooners - (Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Como. . .)
Some Rock and Alt - (From Floyd to The Cure, from Cheap Trick to C.C.R, from Weezer to Imagine Dragons. . .)
Soft Rock - Neil Diamond,* America, The Grassroots. . .

As for the asterisks (ahem) in order:

1.) The dollar amount I'm willing to spend can be adjusted a bit as necessitated

2.) Yes, Neil Diamond. Don't judge. You listen to him too.

The End

- Nate

PS: If this post was all over the place. . .I'm a new father. Translation: WHAT IS THIS SLEEP THING YOU SPEAK OF!?!?

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #16,360 of 16,931
In case someone is curious about Philips Fidelio S2 as I were, they're quite great, if splashy.
However, it turns out it's all only in frequency response - relatively easy to follow even on a limited EQ.
Fixing this issue also vastly improves soundstage, opening it up.

The fit as with all half-in ear designs is tricky... oh, and they work the best in my experience with Sony MHC1 medium soft silicone tips, probably also other Sony Hybrid tips. These tame the tubby bass and reduce the splash somewhat - probably due to narrower nozzle.
Both of included Comply kill the air and plain don't fit well at the required shallow insertion depth for me - they can rotate and then the foam obstructs the nozzle.

I found that these very much want a good amplifier, or they get splashier and less controlled. Plus the lack of efficiency requires driving portable device outputs nearly to maximum.
The in-line microphone produces very nice quality sound, it is relatively directional, but could be slightly more efficient. Cable noise is well handled.

The most interesting thing I found is that these have some kind of minijack that produces a lot less channel crosstalk than most everything I tried. Crossfeed is highly recommended.

They can easily compete with the likes of Hifiman RE-400 and RE-600, unless you're allergic to fit - and I think win even without correction. With the right tips, the originally tubby bass becomes pretty controlled and not at all warm, just the right quantity. It's a bit rounder than what orthos produce, but otherwise very high quality. Detailing is precise and on point, no smoothing over flaws.

Here's a correction chart, remarkably simple:

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #16,361 of 16,931
Okay, waiting eagerly for your opinions on it. Also, the VE Zen2.0 are on the horizon, even though I don't think this thread covers it.

Yeah, I'll do the VE Duke but not the earbuds.

Hi there,

Besides the obligatory new members post, this is my first real post here.

I apologize in advance for the length.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with "The Piano Guys," but their song titled "Cello Song" is a beautiful bit 'o music. As the name implies there's a plethora of cellos, and other stringed instruments that build and soar throughout the piece.

Why did I bother mentioning this?

Through my HD 598s there's a fullness and warmth present in every brush of bow on string (here's my man card), and a sweet sort of clarity that manages to be heard even through the Sen Veil. Owing to their open back design there's a great amount of airiness / separation and treble that just sort of "sings." Oh and the sound stage, wow.

I'm looking for an IEM (price: sub $200*) that can deliver a similar sound signature.

I own a set of Havi B3 Pro 1s (I run them amped through a NX 1) and while I am blown away by what they manage in terms of sound stage and quality they just "feel" too. . .dry? Almost too clean and analytical maybe? They lack that BIG lush and liquid fullness that I'd like to have. THIN! There we go, the note presentation is on the lean and thin side. Again, great IEMs, and not even just "for the price." They just aren't doing it for me.

I know there are some compromises to be made between a set of full over the ear cans and a pair of iems. I'm willing to make them - just not at the expense of the over all desired sound sig.

If it helps these are some of the genres I listen to (with a few examples to boot!):

Acapella - (Straight No Chasers "The Nutcracker," Pentatonix "Mary Did You Know?")
Contemporary instrumental and classical
Acoustic
Female vocals - (example: Sarah Mclachlans' cover of "Blackbird," Mama Cass "Dream a Little Dream, etc. . .")
Crooners - (Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Como. . .)
Some Rock and Alt - (From Floyd to The Cure, from Cheap Trick to C.C.R, from Weezer to Imagine Dragons. . .)
Soft Rock - Neil Diamond,* America, The Grassroots. . .

As for the asterisks (ahem) in order:

1.) The dollar amount I'm willing to spend can be adjusted a bit as necessitated

2.) Yes, Neil Diamond. Don't judge. You listen to him too.

The End

- Nate

PS: If this post was all over the place. . .I'm a new father. Translation: WHAT IS THIS SLEEP THING YOU SPEAK OF!?!?

You don't even need to spend a lot, really. I would get the opposite of the Havi B3 (as far as balanced-sounding IEMs go) - the HiFiMan RE-400. It's still very neutral but just mid-focused enough to sound fluid and musical rather than dry and analytical. The RE600 is also within your budget and actually fits your description a little better than the RE-400, but the difference is so marginal that I wouldn't bother.  

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #16,363 of 16,931
Hi. Newbie here.
Just a quick question. Are the in ear Yamaha EPH-100 still a good choice? Or are there other options in the same price range and sound characteristics?
Thanks.

Yep still my every day daily driver. Awesome IEM for electronic music.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #16,365 of 16,931
Hey there,

Would you say the ER4S still remain the #1 choice for classical music (symphonies, vocal, piano, opera)?

I want real bad to get rid of that sensation that no matter the volume, it's never loud enough. I also really value soundstaging.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back